7.36-

7.37-

Eagles biggest needs are IMO:

FS

OG / C

LB

CB

possibly DT / DE

Secondary needs include depth at QB, RB and WR.

I'm hoping for Kyle Wilson in Round 1 and hoping Taylor Mays or Nate Allen fall to the high 2nd rounder - then draft the best LB or DT left over. I'd love Skelton as a developmental QB in the 4th or later. The Eagles need to come out of the draft with a RB and a WR but it can wait until the later rounds. OG / C is a big need but unless Pauncey or Iupati fall to 24 they might have to settle for depth and hope that Cole can play well at center and Stacy Andrews can hold up at RG. It's too bad McGlynn and Jean-Giles haven't shown a thing.

Eagles biggest needs are IMO:

FS

OG / C

LB

CB

possibly DT / DE

Secondary needs include depth at QB, RB and WR.

I'm hoping for Kyle Wilson in Round 1 and hoping Taylor Mays or Nate Allen fall to the high 2nd rounder - then draft the best LB or DT left over. I'd love Skelton as a developmental QB in the 4th or later. The Eagles need to come out of the draft with a RB and a WR but it can wait until the later rounds. OG / C is a big need but unless Pauncey or Iupati fall to 24 they might have to settle for depth and hope that Cole can play well at center and Stacy Andrews can hold up at RG. It's too bad McGlynn and Jean-Giles haven't shown a thing.

I think you hit it right on the head, although I don't even remotely want to see Taylor Mays in midnite green.

This is a great draft to have alot of picks, especially for a defense that does have some glaring holes.

I wouldn't mind seeing them take a late flier on an receiving TE, who has possibilities of converting into a WR. They still need a red-zone threat and some depth at WR. Maybe someone like Dorin Dickerson from Pitt, or an Aaron Hernandez from Florida. Remember, the have one returning, healthy TE from 2009.

On another discussion board, someone with a very good source within the Eagles says it is highly likely that the Eagles use the #37 pick on a QB (probably McCoy or Pike).

I think with the Eagles needs elsewhere, using the 37th pick on a QB is not the thing to do. However, I think I see the Eagles line of thinking.

If Kolb works out and the Eagles sign the #37 QB to a four year contract, in three years, the Eagles are presumably in the same position they were in this year with Kolb. They have a QB that they have developed in their system for 3 years that is ready to start. However, Kolb has worked out and is a pro bowl QB and therefore, the Eagles trade this #37 QB for a 1st round pick and possibly another pick. The pick this year wasn't wasted, it was deferred and enhanced in the future.

Now if Kolb does not work out in the next 1-2 years, you have another QB on your roster who hopefully, is ready to take over the helm from the failed Kolb.

I think they are targeting the QB they want at 37 so they make sure they get him, similar to what they did with Kolb 3 years ago. They did not want to risk that they would not get him so they drafted him higher than he was thought to go.

Remember the Eagles history: they turned AJ Feeley who was a 5th round pick into a 2nd round pick when they traded him to the Dolphins. I am just going by hearsay, but supposedly the Eagles were being offered 1st round picks for Kolb this year, they just didn't do it because they were asking for more.

If this is in fact what they are doing, I hope they explain it to Kevin Kolb so he is not looking over his shoulder. Again, I don't like the move because it defers getting better sooner, which in the long run may keep the Eagles good for a long period, but like we have seen over the last ten years, not good enough to win a championship.

On another discussion board, someone with a very good source within the Eagles says it is highly likely that the Eagles use the #37 pick on a QB (probably McCoy or Pike).

I think with the Eagles needs elsewhere, using the 37th pick on a QB is not the thing to do. However, I think I see the Eagles line of thinking.

If Kolb works out and the Eagles sign the #37 QB to a four year contract, in three years, the Eagles are presumably in the same position they were in this year with Kolb. They have a QB that they have developed in their system for 3 years that is ready to start. However, Kolb has worked out and is a pro bowl QB and therefore, the Eagles trade this #37 QB for a 1st round pick and possibly another pick. The pick this year wasn't wasted, it was deferred and enhanced in the future.

Now if Kolb does not work out in the next 1-2 years, you have another QB on your roster who hopefully, is ready to take over the helm from the failed Kolb.

I think they are targeting the QB they want at 37 so they make sure they get him, similar to what they did with Kolb 3 years ago. They did not want to risk that they would not get him so they drafted him higher than he was thought to go.

Remember the Eagles history: they turned AJ Feeley who was a 5th round pick into a 2nd round pick when they traded him to the Dolphins. I am just going by hearsay, but supposedly the Eagles were being offered 1st round picks for Kolb this year, they just didn't do it because they were asking for more.

If this is in fact what they are doing, I hope they explain it to Kevin Kolb so he is not looking over his shoulder. Again, I don't like the move because it defers getting better sooner, which in the long run may keep the Eagles good for a long period, but like we have seen over the last ten years, not good enough to win a championship.

I've also heard they were really interested in Tebow.

I just think it's the Eagles throwing up a smoke screen. Too many other holes to fill on defense, and taking a QB this early in the draft would be a luxury pick, which they really aren't at liberty to have this year.

I would be really pissed if the Eagles draft a QB at 37 when there should be multiple quality options at FS, CB, LB and DE on the board. They have way too many pressing needs along the defense to take a backup QB in the high 2nd. And after trading McNabb and handing the reigns over to Kolb, why the hell would you re-inject uncertainty by spending a high pick on the QB position? Because they really want Jesus Boy and a dog murderer as backups?

I would be really pissed if the Eagles draft a QB at 37 when there should be multiple quality options at FS, CB, LB and DE on the board. They have way too many pressing needs along the defense to take a backup QB in the high 2nd. And after trading McNabb and handing the reigns over to Kolb, why the hell would you re-inject uncertainty by spending a high pick on the QB position? Because they really want Jesus Boy and a dog murderer as backups?

I agree. Taking a QB in the 2nd round might be the dumbest thing I've heard. You can't hand the starting job to Kolb, and then draft a QB with a high pick. Thats basically saying "You're are guy, well unless you end up not being our guy." If I were Kolb I wouldn't even want to sign long term in Philly if they did something like that. This team has FAR too many holes on defense to even consider taking a backup QB with a 2nd round pick. If they want to take a developmental QB in the 5th, 6th, or 7th round, I would be fine with that. But the first 4 rounds should be used mostly on the defense and the interior offensive line. And if a big back like Toby Gehrhrt is there in the 3rd or 4th round, he would not be a bad pick either.

How about this scenario:

Eagles trade the #24 pick, Michael Vick, and a 7th rounder for Pittsburgh's #18 pick.

The Eagles then take Maurkice Pouncey at 18. Somewhere during this draft, they get a developmental QB (John Skelton from Fordham comes to mind). And after the draft, they sign Jeff Garcia to back-up Kolb (unless there's a better option out there).

How about this scenario:

Eagles trade the #24 pick, Michael Vick, and a 7th rounder for Pittsburgh's #18 pick.

The Eagles then take Maurkice Pouncey at 18. Somewhere during this draft, they get a developmental QB (John Skelton from Fordham comes to mind). And after the draft, they sign Jeff Garcia to back-up Kolb (unless there's a better option out there).

The Steelers organization would never want Michael Vick. They traded Santonio Holmes, and are looking at trading Roethlisberger because they don't portray the image of the Pittsburgh Steelers. I am pretty sure they wouldn't view Michael Vick as a good addition to that image.

I really like how you show a Christian and a dog murderer to be equivalent :unsure:

The Steelers organization would never want Michael Vick. They traded Santonio Holmes, and are looking at trading Roethlisberger because they don't portray the image of the Pittsburgh Steelers. I am pretty sure they wouldn't view Michael Vick as a good addition to that image.

The image is rebuilt. Holmes is gone because he did it in their uniform.

I honestly don't think Roethlisberger's going anywhere.

I really like how you show a Christian and a dog murderer to be equivalent :thumbsup:

I didn't say they were equivalent, just that it's a strange combination for backup QBs.

But yeah, I'm put off by Tebow's evangelical Christianity and we already have one lightning rod backup, why draft another one?

I didn't want Vick either, if that makes you feel any better.

I didn't say they were equivalent, just that it's a strange combination for backup QBs.

But yeah, I'm put off by Tebow's evangelical Christianity and we already have one lightning rod backup, why draft another one?

I didn't want Vick either, if that makes you feel any better.

MDC can even be a whack job on draft day! :lol: :ninja: :cheers:

:wave: Dumba$$!

MDC can even be a whack job on draft day! :overhead: :doublethumbsup: :wacko:

:wave: Dumba$$!

Yeah, how stupid of me to not want a guy who aligns himself with a fringe Christian political organization to go along with our first-year starter and convicted dog murderer at the QB position! Seriously, I have no problem with Tebow's chosen religion or political bent but I'm wary of those kind of distractions on the team and think he's going to bust hard in the NFL anyway.

Great job on moving up without dealing either 2nd round pick. I'd have preferred Earl Thomas at that pick but they should have a good shot at Taylor Mays or Nate Allen in the early 2nd along with a CB, DT or linebacker.

My only issue with the pick is that Graham that I thought he projected more as a RDE or a 3-4 backer, so where does he play?

Edit: As much as people are hating on Mays, the man is an absolute freak of nature and in the high second they would have to take him. FS is a more pressing need but Quinton Mikell is getting older and didn't have a good season. I don't know that Mays can develop the coverage skills to play FS but he will be a beast at strong safety.

Yeah, how stupid of me to not want a guy who aligns himself with a fringe Christian political organization to go along with our first-year starter and convicted dog murderer at the QB position! Seriously, I have no problem with Tebow's chosen religion or political bent but I'm wary of those kind of distractions on the team and think he's going to bust hard in the NFL anyway.

Great job on moving up without dealing either 2nd round pick. I'd have preferred Earl Thomas at that pick but they should have a good shot at Taylor Mays or Nate Allen in the early 2nd along with a CB, DT or linebacker.

My only issue with the pick is that Graham that I thought he projected more as a RDE or a 3-4 backer, so where does he play?

Edit: As much as people are hating on Mays, the man is an absolute freak of nature and in the high second they would have to take him. FS is a more pressing need but Quinton Mikell is getting older and didn't have a good season. I don't know that Mays can develop the coverage skills to play FS but he will be a beast at strong safety.

I should have let it go. My bad. Sorry

I should have let it go. My bad. Sorry

No problem at all, my friend. :doublethumbsup:

I'm legitimately interested in hearing what other Eagles fans think of this pick? Earl Thomas was the guy I really wanted but the DE spot opposite of Cole has been a black hole for years and Graham is highly regarded by scouts and college football fans, so I guess we'll have to wait and see?

No problem at all, my friend. :pointstosky:

I'm legitimately interested in hearing what other Eagles fans think of this pick? Earl Thomas was the guy I really wanted but the DE spot opposite of Cole has been a black hole for years and Graham is highly regarded by scouts and college football fans, so I guess we'll have to wait and see?

:lol: happens but :lol: when it's all said and done.

I think Earl was the pick, but this pick wasn't a bad one. I'm not an Eagles fan, but they love to get after the QB. 10 more picks with 5 or 6 of those early!!!

I don't like the pick for a few reasons:

1. Two 3rd round picks is too much.

2. He's not as good as Morgan from GT.

It remains to be seen if this draft is a failure. If they can manage to get a FS and corner in the 2nd round, it's not that bad.

Let's be completely honest here. They don't have the best track record when it comes to drafting DE's in the first two rounds.

It remains to be seen if this draft is a failure. If they can manage to get a FS and corner in the 2nd round, it's not that bad.

Let's be completely honest here. They don't have the best track record when it comes to drafting DE's in the first two rounds.

I agree. I like the player but they could have had him @ 24 and kept the 2 3rds.

I agree. I like the player but they could have had him @ 24 and kept the 2 3rds.

I don't agree with the pick but I also don't think he'd have been around at 24.

I don't agree with the pick but I also don't think he'd have been around at 24.

You can almost bet the farm that Nate Allen will be their next pick. Or should be their next pick.

I've liked that guy all along.

I thought this pick was definitely Earl Thomas, and I would of liked to see them take him. BUT why is everyone saying Morgan is definitely better than Graham? Derrick Morgan was very unspectacular in his freshmen and sophomore years at GTech. He did have a huge breakout year this past year, but Graham was still arguably just as good. Brandon Graham led the nation in tackles for loss this past season, and he was playing in a very weak Michigan defense. He finished his career second on Michigans all time sack list with 29.5 sacks, and also had 8 forced fumbles and 56 tackles for loss. This guy can flat out play. If you watched him in the Senior Bowl, he was probably the best player on the field that day.

I know a lot of people had Morgan ranked higher, but it was very close, and some had Graham ranked higher. I don't think it was a bad move if this was the Eagles GUY. There was speculation that the Giants really liked Graham and would take him at 16 (and considering they took Pierre-Paul, its definitely a good possibility). So if they wanted the guy, they had to move above the Giants. I don't think there was any way that Graham was making it to the 24th pick.

The 2nd round will say a lot more about whether I like this draft or not. They NEED help in the secondary. If that isn't addressed in the 2nd round, then I'm not as much on board with the Graham pick. I've seen some people thinking they will take guard Jon Asamoah with their first pick in the 2nd round, I think that would be a mistake as secondary is a much bigger need.

Perhaps you guys are right and he wouldn't have been there at 24. The more I hear today, there were teams waiting to pounce on him in the late teens, so yeah...I expect them to recoup a 3rd rounder for sure, though., possibly by trading out of the late 2nd OR by trading a 4th and 6th to move up.

A lot of haters in here.

Michigan fan here so I'm biased, but you got a flat out unstoppable stud.

To the guy who said he's not as good as Morgan from GT, you are misinformed. Please go watch Brandon Graham vs. Brian Bulaga from Iowa this year. Then watch Morgan vs. Bulaga in the Orange Bowl.

A lot of haters in here.

Michigan fan here so I'm biased, but you got a flat out unstoppable stud.

To the guy who said he's not as good as Morgan from GT, you are misinformed. Please go watch Brandon Graham vs. Brian Bulaga from Iowa this year. Then watch Morgan vs. Bulaga in the Orange Bowl.

As a fellow Michigan fan, I do know how good he is. Also know Morgan very well, considering he's a local kid.

It's personal preference. No one's "hating on him", but some question the pick based on what they had to give up to move up. That's it.

And no one can refute their track record when it comes to moving up "to get their guy" at DE. McDougle is long gone, Abiemiri is now only a situational player.

Now if they can go out in the second round, address their needs at FS and CB, then I can live with the decision. There's obvious skepticism based on previous draft history with this particular position. Who knows, maybe the finally get it right, like they did with Jackson and Maclin.

Perhaps you guys are right and he wouldn't have been there at 24. The more I hear today, there were teams waiting to pounce on him in the late teens, so yeah...I expect them to recoup a 3rd rounder for sure, though., possibly by trading out of the late 2nd OR by trading a 4th and 6th to move up.

I'm with you. I question the new GM's decision making a bit here. Did he really have to move up to #11 to get Graham? Could have made a deal further back, say before the Giants' pick, while getting Graham and not giving up that 2nd third round pick?

Here's what I had mocked a few weeks back:

2010 Eagles Draft Picks

Round Note

1 (24) - Markus Pouncey, C, Florida

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2010mpouncey.php

2 (37) - best available defender - Nate Allen, S, South Florida

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2010nallen.php

2 (55) - best available defender - Brandon Ghee, CB, Wake Forrest

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2010bghee.php

3 (70) - best available defender - Torrell Troup, DT, Central Florida

http://www.fantasyfootballjungle.com/nfl_d...ll%20Troup/2197

3 (87) - best available defender - A.J. Edds, OLB, Iowa

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dspro...&genpos=OLB

4 (105) - start to look at QB, maybe someone like John Skelton from Fordham

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dspro...0&genpos=qb

4 (121) - Arthur Jones, DE/DT, Syracuse

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dspro...0&genpos=DT

5 (137) - best player available

6 (200) - best player available

7 (243) - best player available

7 (244) Compensatory Pick

So now I'm going to update it, and let's see how things shake out:

2010 Eagles Draft Picks

Round Note

1 (15) - Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan

So the likelihood of them going after another DL is very minimal. So in the fourth round, I'd look for them to consider an OL or TE, preferably a legitimate center.

If Tony Pike happens to fall into the third round, I would not put it past Reid to move up and get him. I'd be perfectly ok with that, because I think Pike has alot of upside.

Here's what I had mocked a few weeks back:

2010 Eagles Draft Picks

Round Note

1 (24) - Markus Pouncey, C, Florida

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2010mpouncey.php

3 (70) - best available defender - Torrell Troup, DT, Central Florida

http://www.fantasyfootballjungle.com/nfl_d...ll%20Troup/2197

3 (87) - best available defender - A.J. Edds, OLB, Iowa

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dspro...&genpos=OLB

So now I'm going to update it, and let's see how things shake out:

2010 Eagles Draft Picks

Round Note

1 (15) - Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan

So the likelihood of them going after another DL is very minimal. So in the fourth round, I'd look for them to consider an OL or TE, preferably a legitimate center.

If Tony Pike happens to fall into the third round, I would not put it past Reid to move up and get him. I'd be perfectly ok with that, because I think Pike has alot of upside.

I agree their next pick should definitely be in the secondary. I like Nate Allen, but also think Chris Cook, CB, Virginia is a definite possibility with this pick. I also wouldn't mind seeing them trade back a few spots if they can pick up a 3rd round pick again. I do not want to see them take a guard at that spot but I think Jon Asamoah or Vladimir Ducasse are possibilities.

Their 2nd pick of the second round will depend on who falls. I think Jerome Murphy, CB, South Florida would be a good pick here if they don't take Cook at #37. I wouldn't be suprised to see them go Allen and Murphy with the picks, both out of South Florida. Ghee is definitely a possibility along with Spievey, CB out of Iowa.

I really don't think using a pick on a QB before round 4 or 5 really makes sense. Either Kolb is their guy or he isn't, you shouldn't already be making plans to develop someone else, especially when they've given up both their 3rd round picks already.

I agree their next pick should definitely be in the secondary. I like Nate Allen, but also think Chris Cook, CB, Virginia is a definite possibility with this pick. I also wouldn't mind seeing them trade back a few spots if they can pick up a 3rd round pick again. I do not want to see them take a guard at that spot but I think Jon Asamoah or Vladimir Ducasse are possibilities.

Their 2nd pick of the second round will depend on who falls. I think Jerome Murphy, CB, South Florida would be a good pick here if they don't take Cook at #37. I wouldn't be suprised to see them go Allen and Murphy with the picks, both out of South Florida. Ghee is definitely a possibility along with Spievey, CB out of Iowa.

I really don't think using a pick on a QB before round 4 or 5 really makes sense. Either Kolb is their guy or he isn't, you shouldn't already be making plans to develop someone else, especially when they've given up both their 3rd round picks already.

I happen to like Pike, and I think he's good enough to be a back-up, or he could be trade bait at some point. It's not necessarily filling a need but more of grabbing talent to develop, or to guard against Kolb being a flop.

You have to remember, they still have Jackson, Harris, and Hanson to play DB this season.

i really like Brandon Ghee

I happen to like Pike, and I think he's good enough to be a back-up, or he could be trade bait at some point. It's not necessarily filling a need but more of grabbing talent to develop, or to guard against Kolb being a flop.

You have to remember, they still have Jackson, Harris, and Hanson to play DB this season.

I guess I view the QB position as a position you get your guy, and don't worry too much about the backup. You can almost always find a suitable veteran backup. If YOUR guy gets hurt, most of the time the team is in big trouble anyways. Using valuable draft picks (3rd/4th round) in a very deep draft on a QB I don't really agree with. If you want to try to hit a home run (Tom Brady in the 6th round) later in the draft, I am fine with that. For what it's worth, I like Tony Pike also, but I don't think this team can make "luxury" picks with soo many holes on defense, and specifically the secondary IMO.

I am not a big fan of ANY of the Eagles DB's to tell you the truth. Asante Samuel is one of the more overrated CB's in the game, but I've stated that countless times on these boards. He has his value as a big play guy, but he isn't shutting anyone down. The Dallas Cowboys now have Miles Austin, Dez Bryant, Jason Witten, etc., and I am not confident the Eagles have someone that can cover ANY of them. I like Marlin Jackson, but a guy coming off 2 ACL tears scares me durability wise. Joselio Hanson is a nice nickel back, but I really don't think you should consider him as your starting CB. I guess Ellis Hobbs is technically that guy right now, but again, he's coming off an injury and has been very inconsistent throughout his career. To me, secondary should be the primary concern with their next 2 picks.

I'm legitimately interested in hearing what other Eagles fans think of this pick? Earl Thomas was the guy I really wanted...

I originally posted this in Seahawks thread last night...

So, my neighbor stops by for my analysis of the first round. As I'm explaining how Seattle stole Okung, he sees the Eagles traded up into the first round. He is expecting Earl Thomas at #13. Not only do the Eagles not take him but reach for Brandon Graham and he's fuming, then he gets to watch me strut around the 'ole house when Seattle takes Earl Thomas. Oh, was he pissed.

:banana:

So, my neighbor stops by for my analysis of the first round. As I'm explaining how Seattle stole Okung, he sees the Eagles traded up into the first round. He is expecting Earl Thomas at #13. Not only do the Eagles not take him but reach for Brandon Graham and he's fuming, then he gets to watch me strut around the 'ole house when Seattle takes Earl Thomas. Oh, was he pissed.

:banana:

Congrats on the most supremely ghey thing anyone's typed today. You strutted around because of two college kids that have been drafted and haven't played a single down for your 2nd rate team yet? :cry:

Congrats on the most supremely ghey thing anyone's typed today. You strutted around because of two college kids that have been drafted and haven't played a single down for your 2nd rate team yet? :banana:

You're trying to picture me naked, aren't you?

You're trying to picture me naked, aren't you?

I envisioned Buffalo Bill in front of his mirror in Silence of the Lambs. It made me throw up in my mouth.

:shocking:

What happened when you remembered Charlie Whitehurst is your quarterback and the Suckhawks are among the worst teams in the NFL?

So after sleeping on it, I'm more okay with the move. The thing I keep reading about Graham is that he's got a non-stop motor and compares to Hugh Douglas. It's true that the Eagles badly need help in the secondary but they've also had trouble getting pressure on opposing QBs without the blitz and fixing the black hole opposite Trent Cole could help all over the D. Given the run on DE I think it's highly unlikely that Graham would've been around past the teens and I'm much happier with him than Pierre-Paul so the decision was really Graham or Morgan. Obviously they liked Graham more so now we need to see if the Eagles were right.

I just pray the Eagles go with Taylor Mays or Nate Allen in the 2nd because I'm not trusting the FS position to Macho, Demps, or a guy coming off two ACL injuries.

I'm higher on Taylor Mays than most people, but the Eagles did the right thing in drafting Nate Allen anyway - they badly needed a safety and thank god Reid isn't counting on Marlin Jackson. This probably pushes Macho Harris and maybe Jackson to CB. Cornerback is a big need but I wouldn't at all be upset if Philly traded up to steal Sergio Kindle at this point.

Edit: Oh well - there goes Kindle. That makes CB a virtual lock. Let's go Brandon Ghee!