Sign in to follow this  
MicktheGreat

Looking for a new desktop computer...

So...I'm getting ready to go to grad school and I'm looking for a new computer.

Right now, I've got a cheap little Acer netbook, which is fine for internet browsing and transportation purposes, but that's about it. I'm looking for a reasonably priced, reliable desktop -- something basic that I can write papers on and stuff. I used to have a macbook (which I liked OK) but I definitely can't afford another one of those right now; so I'm going the PC route this time for the desktop. So far, I've been looking at Dell and HP.

Anybody have any suggestions for other good companies I should look at???

Or better yet...anybody have any specific computer models I should consider?

Any third-party sites that provide good, detailed reviews?

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/eMachines+EL1850-01e+Desktop+%26+18.5%22+LCD+Monitor+Package/9999133600050005.p?id=pcmprd133600050005&skuId=9999133600050005&st=eMachines&lp=1&cp=1

this is what I use. Under 400 for everything. However if you dont need something new you can spend 100 bucks on craigslist for something comparable.

When I was looking last year, the HP was by far the best option for saving money and getting features.

I'm not in IT, nor am I a computer nerd. I know little about this stuff. However I have an old ass desktop at home and it sucks; I got it like 9 years ago. Everybody I ask tells me to don't even worry with another desktop. They all tell me to get a laptop. Today's laptops are almost as good (memory, speed, ect.) and you of course have the mobility capability. you can set it up just like a desktop if you want. Printer, mouse, yada yada.

So my answer is to buy a nice laptop instead.

Get a job as a maid in a really fancy hotel, always plenty of laptops laying around the rooms to borrow.

Toshiba laptops are the bomb.

I nixed the idea for a desktop (already have a router) when I was in search for an upgrade and went for a laptop. BIG 17 inch screened focker that I scored off of ebay a year ago. If you don't feel safe getting electronics from ebay, try geeks.com. They got a lot of great deals there.

They still make desktops? :blink:

Do you have any idea how much more difficult it is to work on a laptop as opposed to a desktop?

Companies will never go 100% laptops, so desktops will always be in play

Went and picked up an all-in-one desktop two weeks ago. Mainly because of space, and I don't like wires all over the place. Basically a 23" flat screen, wireless mouse, and wireless keyboard. Has a touch screen feature like the iphone, but I don't really use it, and it wasn't a factor in the purchase.

Coulda got a better deal, but it was one of those wake up on Saturday morning and say, "We need a fukking computer". A trip to Best Buy and Sam's was the only research done. Had it up and running withing two hours of deciding to go look. I don't need to waste a whole Sat to save $50 or get the most computing stuff on something mainly used for the innerwebs, word processing, and storing pics.

Do you have any idea how much more difficult it is to work on a laptop as opposed to a desktop?

Companies will never go 100% laptops, so desktops will always be in play

That's a good point edjr, but this guy is a grad student. If anybody out there needs a laptop over a desktop, it's a grad student. To the OP: find a reasonably priced laptop with a good keyboard and you will be golden.

That's a good point edjr, but this guy is a grad student. If anybody out there needs a laptop over a desktop, it's a grad student. To the OP: find a reasonably priced laptop with a good keyboard and you will be golden.

I was just defending desktops because he laughed as if they were obsolete.

Laptop is the way to go if you travel obviously, but a cheap net book can usually get the job done

Like I said in the original post, I've got a cheap Acer netbook right now, which provides me with some mobility, internet browsing, basic programs, etc. I've had laptops in the past (Dell & Mac) with mixed results, and I'm not really interested in getting another one right now.

I'd like to get a desktop that I can keep at home to work on papers, lesson plans, etc. while I continue to use the netbook for travel options.

Went and picked up an all-in-one desktop two weeks ago. Mainly because of space, and I don't like wires all over the place. Basically a 23" flat screen, wireless mouse, and wireless keyboard. Has a touch screen feature like the iphone, but I don't really use it, and it wasn't a factor in the purchase.

Coulda got a better deal, but it was one of those wake up on Saturday morning and say, "We need a fukking computer". A trip to Best Buy and Sam's was the only research done. Had it up and running withing two hours of deciding to go look. I don't need to waste a whole Sat to save $50 or get the most computing stuff on something mainly used for the innerwebs, word processing, and storing pics.

I looked at some all-in-one desktops. They're pretty cool-looking and save a bunch of space (obviously). But, given my financial situation, I can't really justify the price difference between the all-in-ones and the regular desktops -- especially because I just need something basic.

I looked at some all-in-one desktops. They're pretty cool-looking and save a bunch of space (obviously). But, given my financial situation, I can't really justify the price difference between the all-in-ones and the regular desktops -- especially because I just need something basic.

We needed to upgrade the monitor as well, so the price was a wash. Like I said, we didn't do any research to try to save a few bucks, but once you got the tower and a monitor we were gonna spend more than what we did on this one.