Sign in to follow this  
Hitman49er

Convince me on Matthews over L1, H2 WR's

I understand that people expect Matthews to be inserted seamlessly into SD with around 1150 10 28 rec 250 rec yrds. Is it better to take the chance on Matthews early on or go with a back to back WR strategy of combination of either Calvin, Marshall or Desean?

I understand that people expect Matthews to be inserted seamlessly into SD with around 1150 10 28 rec 250 rec yrds. Is it better to take the chance on Matthews early on or go with a back to back WR strategy of combination of either Calvin, Marshall or Desean?

I think this totally depends on the V. Jax holdout as well as the McNeil holdout. If both are not on the field for the first half of the season, Matthews will struggle more than some would like to think. McNeil is by far the best run blocker on that line and V. Jax is an excellent downfield blocker. If they both hold out, then I would absolutely take a WR if you are in a PPR league. If they both show up to play in week one, I may still take the WR, depending on how many WR's you are allowed to start. In most of my leagues, we can start either 2 RBs and 3 WR's or 1 RB and 4 WRs. I tend to draft WR's early and start 4 WRs each week when I can.

Consider this, in '09:

Sproles - 3.7 yds/att

Tomlinson - 3.3 yds/att

Marcus McNeill also may hold out. As far as offensive lines go, this probably isn't a great one.

If I am faced with that decision, I take two of the three receivers and don't look back...Starting with Marshall and Calvin (or Desean, depending on scoring and preference), and then targeting a couple of high upside backs with your next picks beats spending that early of a pick on a guy who has never had an NFL touch in his career when you drafted him and who will likely enter the year surrounded by question marks (o-line, offensive role). I am all for targeting upside and taking calculated risks when it comes to targeting rookies or guys that I think will break out, but I just don't like to take those risks with my first two picks if possible. Give me a couple of cornerstone receivers, either of whom may end up as the top overall point getter at that position, and then let me take some shots at upside Rbs later on---my .02

Is he gonna hit that rookie wall right when your playoffs start? Im not a big fan of drafting rookies even with the great opportunity Mathews has in San Diego I think you are paying a lot to get a guy whos never taken a snap in the NFL. It is the ultimate unproven.

People often talk about concussions and Jahvid Best but Mathews also missed a game late last year with a concussion not to mention missing multiple games the end of his sophomore year with a knee injury. His numbers in college are really very impressive, and he did carry the ball 276 times his junior year (for 1,808 and 19 TDs :shocking: ) But taking him in the first two rounds in a price I wouldn't be willing to pay.

If you want to take a chance that early in draft why not go with someone like Shon Greene? Atleast he has somewhat proven he can get it done. And like another poster said the rookie RBs hit a wall almost every time and its usually right around Fantasy Playoff time.

i would be looking at Mathews that early in a redraft anyway.

marshall calvin and desean are all 2nd round WR's. Deasean may go early 3rd.

mid third is really where i would start considering mathews although someone will likely take him before me.

Thanks for the input guys. I have just been reading a lot of stuff where Matthews is ranked so high and I started second guessing my initial response to grab Calvin and Marshall. I agree its too early to take the chance on Matthews. I could take Ben Tate much later and he could end up being the top rookie RB.

Thanks for the input guys. I have just been reading a lot of stuff where Matthews is ranked so high and I started second guessing my initial response to grab Calvin and Marshall. I agree its too early to take the chance on Matthews. I could take Ben Tate much later and he could end up being the top rookie RB.

i think mathews is the clear favorite to be the top rookie rb and really, the only rookie back with a shot at the top 10 overall. spiller is going to split time and make contributions in the return game and Tate i dont even think ends up starting in Houston.

but the fact is mathews is still a rookie. so you dont reach for him.

i would be looking at Mathews that early in a redraft anyway.

marshall calvin and desean are all 2nd round WR's. Deasean may go early 3rd.

mid third is really where i would start considering mathews although someone will likely take him before me.

I was in an early draft in a PPR League just a few weeks ago. DeSean went 1.12, Calvin was 1.10, and Marshall was 1.09. I think it was early for Marshall, but I've seen several ppr drafts so far and none of these three have been on the board past the 2.04. In nearly all of them, 2 of the 3 are taken by the 1.12. In PPR Leagues, I think this will be THE year of the WR and you will see more WR's taken in the first two rounds than ever before.

Taking DeSean Jackson in a PPR league in the first round seems like the craziest possible thing to do.

i think mathews is the clear favorite to be the top rookie rb and really, the only rookie back with a shot at the top 10 overall. spiller is going to split time and make contributions in the return game and Tate i dont even think ends up starting in Houston.

but the fact is mathews is still a rookie. so you dont reach for him.

That funny, because something tells me that both Best and Hardesty will put up better #'s by season end than Mathews. Now saying, there's no way I take either of them ahead in Mathews in redraft, but I have a feeling it works out that way. Also, as pointed out, I take Shonn Greene ahead of Mathews without fail.

Consider this, in '09:

Sproles - 3.7 yds/att

Tomlinson - 3.3 yds/att

Marcus McNeill also may hold out. As far as offensive lines go, this probably isn't a great one.

Mike Tolbert - 5.9 yds/att

6th least sacks in the league

The o-line is just fine.

Mike Tolbert - 5.9 yds/att

Okay sure, over 25 attempts, he put up some good numbers. But both Darren Sproles & LT posted career low yds/att last year. So yeah, Sproles may be a bad rusher, but he got worse in '09 from his '08 season, and he had 93 attempts, so plenty of time to get a large enough sample.

Also, just about every offensive line rating I've seen has San Diego in the bottom half of the league. Here's the two I've found most recently 2010 Offensive Line Rankings and Analysis and Offensive Line Rankings.

Not only is pass blocking dependent on the quarterback, but its absolutely irrelevant when we're talking about Matthew's future as a runner.

Sure, fantasy runners can post good numbers behind a bad offensive line (Fred Jackson & Rashard Mendenhall comes to mind in '09), but it can also seriously hurt a player's value (Forte in '09 certainly leaps out here). Its something to consider.

Okay sure, over 25 attempts, he put up some good numbers. But both Darren Sproles & LT posted career low yds/att last year. So yeah, Sproles may be a bad rusher, but he got worse in '09 from his '08 season, and he had 93 attempts, so plenty of time to get a large enough sample.

Also, just about every offensive line rating I've seen has San Diego in the bottom half of the league. Here's the two I've found most recently 2010 Offensive Line Rankings and Analysis and Offensive Line Rankings.

Not only is pass blocking dependent on the quarterback, but its absolutely irrelevant when we're talking about Matthew's future as a runner.

Sure, fantasy runners can post good numbers behind a bad offensive line (Fred Jackson & Rashard Mendenhall comes to mind in '09), but it can also seriously hurt a player's value (Forte in '09 certainly leaps out here). Its something to consider.

Fine, I'll spell it out for you. Sproles is a change of pace guy. LT's decline last season forced the Chargers to use Sproles in a lot more situations that they would have never used him in (IE goal line) and that drove down his YPC, but he was still his explosive self (45 receptions for 497 yards). I also don't see much of a statistical difference between 93 and 25 carries, they're both situational loads.

That's cute you want to link me to two sites with subjective arbitrary rankings, like that has any more validity than your opinion. I could make a web site today and post a list with the Chargers having the #1 offensive line if that's the case.

Pass blocking is entirely relevant; who pass blocks? The offensive line. The same offensive line will be run blocking. Plus, if pass blocking is dependent on the QB, then SD's line must be working severe overtime to still finish that low in sacks allowed, considering Rivers scrambling prowess.

If McNeill gets signed, the left side (+center) of that line is the same exact line that LT ran his MVP campaign behind in 2006, and what side do you think he ran behind most? (hint: the left side)

It's cool that you want to chime in on subjects you don't really know about, but it'd probably be more helpful if you didn't mislead people asking for informed opinions.

This is why i love FF.....no opinion is really wrong (right now)

I go the other way....i like Matthews. All things being equal i want the guy who will get the touches, and plays on a good offense and isnt likely to get pulled at the end of games. Mathews fits this description.

I agree he needs VJAX and mcneil....provided they are there ill spend the 13th pick on matthews after grabbing most likely shonn greene (assuming someone like SJAX or Turner doesnt fall there)

He'll likely hit that wall around playoffs like others have mentioned....but give me all you got to get me to the playoffs...and then its kind of a crapshoot anyway