Sign in to follow this  
PATSSOX

Jamal Charles where should he be drafted?

did i say i wouldnt take him?

you asked how taking him was a risk. I answered. doesn't mean I wouldn't take the risk on Charles, just givng you some more info to consider.

you can't argue that avergaing 5.0+ is lofty if you expect 250 carries.

If Charles gets the 250 or so carries I expect, at 4.5 YPC he'll rush for more than 1,125 yards.

I'm expecting something in the neighorhood of 1,100-1,200 rushing with 40 receptions for another 300-350 yards and around 10 TDs.

Every player is a risk.

1. He is too small

2. Never handled a full season

3. TJ will take carries and GL work.

4. McCluster will steal receptions.

5. Wouldn't draft him until rd 3 at the earliest.

6. Everybody pls believe the above... :banana:

Every player is a risk.

every player is a "risk" to some extent. I tend to view those who get drafted high despite a small body of work as slightly higher risk. It doesn't mean I don't like Charles this year. When we only see a guy do it for half a season there is some degree of a leap of faith associated with his selection. Just as there is with a guy like Shonn Greene.

Alot of people bring up that after taking over as the starter, Charles got to face Oakland, Buffalo, Cleveland and Denver twice. I don't worry about this because if you look at his schedule this year, he gets Cleveland, Buffalo, Oakland twice, Denver twice, Seattle and St. Louis comprising half his games.

Here's the ADP of the top 30 RBs right now. Charles is at #12 averaging rd 2.11.

Who behind him on this list would you draft ahead of him w/ confidence? To me, they all have thier own questions/issues as well.

I think Charles has a lot more UPSIDE than anyone following directly behind him.

1 1.01 Chris Johnson RB TEN

2 1.02 Adrian Peterson RB MIN

3 1.03 Ray Rice RB BAL

4 1.04 Maurice Jones-Drew RB JAC

5 1.06 Frank Gore RB SF

6 1.07 Michael Turner RB ATL

7 1.09 Steven Jackson RB STL

8 2.01 Rashard Mendenhall RB PIT

9 2.03 Shonn Greene RB NYJ

10 2.06 DeAngelo Williams RB CAR

11 2.08 Ryan Mathews RB SD

12 2.10 Jamaal Charles RB KC

13 3.02 Ryan Grant RB GB

14 3.07 Cedric Benson RB CIN

15 3.08 Pierre Thomas RB NO

16 3.10 Knowshon Moreno RB DEN

17 3.11 LeSean McCoy RB PHI

18 4.01 Chris Wells RB ARI

19 4.06 Jonathan Stewart RB CAR

20 4.09 Ronnie Brown RB MIA

21 4.09 Matt Forte RB CHI

22 5.01 Joseph Addai RB IND

23 5.03 Felix Jones RB DAL

24 5.04 Jahvid Best RB DET

25 5.11 Brandon Jacobs RB NYG

26 6.03 Justin Forsett RB SEA

27 6.08 Ben Tate RB HOU

28 6.10 Marion Barber RB DAL

29 6.10 Jerome Harrison RB CLE

30 6.12 Ricky Williams RB

Here's the ADP of the top 30 RBs right now. Charles is at #12 averaging rd 2.11.

Who behind him on this list would you draft ahead of him w/ confidence? To me, they all have thier own questions/issues as well.

I think Charles has a lot more UPSIDE than anyone following directly behind him.

1 1.01 Chris Johnson RB TEN

2 1.02 Adrian Peterson RB MIN

3 1.03 Ray Rice RB BAL

4 1.04 Maurice Jones-Drew RB JAC

5 1.06 Frank Gore RB SF

6 1.07 Michael Turner RB ATL

7 1.09 Steven Jackson RB STL

8 2.01 Rashard Mendenhall RB PIT

9 2.03 Shonn Greene RB NYJ

10 2.06 DeAngelo Williams RB CAR

11 2.08 Ryan Mathews RB SD

12 2.10 Jamaal Charles RB KC

13 3.02 Ryan Grant RB GB

14 3.07 Cedric Benson RB CIN

15 3.08 Pierre Thomas RB NO

16 3.10 Knowshon Moreno RB DEN

17 3.11 LeSean McCoy RB PHI

18 4.01 Chris Wells RB ARI

19 4.06 Jonathan Stewart RB CAR

20 4.09 Ronnie Brown RB MIA

21 4.09 Matt Forte RB CHI

22 5.01 Joseph Addai RB IND

23 5.03 Felix Jones RB DAL

24 5.04 Jahvid Best RB DET

25 5.11 Brandon Jacobs RB NYG

26 6.03 Justin Forsett RB SEA

27 6.08 Ben Tate RB HOU

28 6.10 Marion Barber RB DAL

29 6.10 Jerome Harrison RB CLE

30 6.12 Ricky Williams RB

Possibly Moreno, Beanie Wells, and maybe Felix Jones, maybe Forte. Probably would take Charles ahead of everyone listed below him but would at least think about these guys. Maybe Pierre Thomas.

every player is a "risk" to some extent. I tend to view those who get drafted high despite a small body of work as slightly higher risk. It doesn't mean I don't like Charles this year. When we only see a guy do it for half a season there is some degree of a leap of faith associated with his selection. Just as there is with a guy like Shonn Greene.

That's true but I'll go with young and on the rise over a veteran back in a touch situation any day. That's why I'd take Shonn Greene or Jamaal Charles in the last 1st / early 2nd but I probably wouldn't touch SJax until the 3rd round and even then I wouldn't love it. I'm trying to find value and figure out which RB is going off this year instead of following last year's trends. It's the same reason I hated LT2 and Westbrook going into last season and lucked into Ray Rice in the 5th round. Sometimes that strategy works, sometimes no but it's work for me and I like veteran WRs and young RBs.

1. He is too small

2. Never handled a full season

3. TJ Landwhale will take carries and GL work.

4. McCluster Britt will steal receptions.

5. Wouldn't draft him until rd 3 at the earliest.

6. Everybody pls believe the above... :banana:

Are you talking about Chris Johnson last season?

Just sayin'............

(Shhhhhhh......I'm preaching it too boss)

Possibly Moreno, Beanie Wells, and maybe Felix Jones, maybe Forte. Probably would take Charles ahead of everyone listed below him but would at least think about these guys. Maybe Pierre Thomas.

Exactly. Those are the same guys I'd possibly consider, but as I said they all have thier own red flags as well.

Moreno - DEN offense looks like it might be terrible this year, plus there's another RB on the team who wasn't a slouch last yr.

Beanie - Hightower stealing work and possibly less red zone opportunities w/o Warner.

Felix Jones - Can't stay healthy a whole season and Barber will prob still steal GL work at least.

Forte - Anyone who had him last year (like me) would never dream of taking him in 2010. Will Martz help or hurt?

P. Thomas - Inconsistent last year and will his role REALLY increase? SB slump? R. Bush still there.

I guess you could really lump all these guys including Charles together and flip a coin and have a fairly equal chance of success.

The thing that makes Charles stand apart for me though is his UPSIDE. I don't think any of the guys above have the same upside as him. Throw in the fact that he played as well as he did last yr in KC with an awful offense and upgrades have been made (better O-Line, Weiss as OC, Bowe out of doghouse and supposidly more dedicated, still in weak DIV) and I take Charles all the way.

My 1-keeper league drafts this Sunday. Have the 2nd pick, keeping Mendenhall.

Best on the board look to be AJ, Gore, Moss, and then the typical second round talent (Grant, Greene, Charles, etc).

Fairly certain that Charles isn't making it back to me at 2.11. I'll take AJ if the first owner passes...but otherwise, would you take Charles at 1.2 over Moss and Gore? I have to say I'm thinking really seriously about it.

I know, "little help bored", but since this thread is about where you feel he should be drafted at, asking if he's better than guys who are both generally considered top 5 at their position seems appropriate.

Also take into account that Charles has a great schedule and the only guaranteed top run-defense is San Francisco. In my 14-team league I would get Charles in the middle to end of the 2nd round.

RB1 easily. Talent through the roof. Jones hit a wall last year running backs his age don't come back from.

I am still not sold on Charles atleast as a #1. Ive tried to have you guys talk me into it and just is not happening. I dont think they brought Jones in just to ride the pine. I like Charles as a RB2 with big upside but would not want him as my #1 right now. :thumbsup:

Ive got him at #14 on my RB rankings

If Charles is available at the 23rd overall pick I will draft him with my 2nd pick in a heartbeat - over Grant, DeAngelo, and Matthews, among others.

I like upside and swinging for the fences. His floor is probably 1,000 total yards and 6 or so TDs but the upside is a Ray Rice type season.

My first round:

1. AP

2. CJ

3. MJD

4. Rice

5. Gore

6. Andre Johnson

7. Greene

8. Turner

9. Brees

10. Rodgers

11. DWilliams

12. Charles

Yes, I take him over Mendenhall because Mendy has a slightly higher floor but a much lower upside. I wouldn't touch SJax until the mid to late 2nd AT LEAST because he's taken a ridiculous beating the past few years and plays for a dogsh1t team. I can't see him matching last year's yardage totals and on that team he won't score more than 5-6 TDs.

Let me say one more time: Jamaal Charles had 29 total carries before WEEK 10 and he still rushed for 1,100 yards and totaled 1,400. TJ or no TJ, there is no freaking way he gets less than 200 carries plus 30-40 receptions, which he will turn into another 1,400 yards bare focking minimum plus at least 7-8 TDs. That is his FLOOR. Upside, Charles is this year's Ray Rice. Write it down and take a picture. I was so focking delighted to see Fantasy Football Index rank Charles so low -- I am going to steal him in the high 2nd and ride him like Jenna Jamison to a championship. :overhead:

this post was legit information wise and hilarious entertainment wise! haha

I play in a yardage heavy league. QBs go first or are kept as we keep one player. If the draft goes how I think it will, I'm debating on taking Charles with the last pick in the first/first pick in the second followed by another RB or a WR. I'm one of those high on Charles this year.