Sign in to follow this  
kfl8

Welker a #1 in PPR?

Lets say Welker is fully recovered and plays. Do you guys consider him a #1 in a PPR league?

1 point per 10 yards

6 point per TD

1 point per catch

I'm in a 2 player keeper league and I'm keeping ADP and Ray Rice so I'm in good shape at RB. The top recivers that will most likely be there when I pick will be Colston, Jennings, Steve Smith, Wes Welker

not fully sold on welker this yr with the injury. You know how belichek likes to play games.

Only 7months ago he blew that knee out. And his game requires short/quick/explosive cuts. I say he doesnt play till october.

ie....Anthony Gonzalez blew his knee out the first game of 2009 and he is still dealing with a slow return at this point.

Take Colston or Jennings imo.

not fully sold on welker this yr with the injury. You know how belichek likes to play games.

Only 7months ago he blew that knee out. And his game requires short/quick/explosive cuts. I say he doesnt play till october.

ie....Anthony Gonzalez blew his knee out the first game of 2009 and he is still dealing with a slow return at this point.

Take Colston or Jennings imo.

He will play Week 1. That is a non-issue. Belichick cannot play games with that roster spot. If he was not going to play Welker until October, he would have kept him on PUP.

He is a borderline WR1 in a PPR league. Risky play, but one with very high reward. I might lean towards Colston over Welker. :dunno:

He will play Week 1. That is a non-issue. Belichick cannot play games with that roster spot. If he was not going to play Welker until October, he would have kept him on PUP.

He is a borderline WR1 in a PPR league. Risky play, but one with very high reward. I might lean towards Colston over Welker. :dunno:

I love welker no doubt but a huge risk imo. Dont know how well he will perform with that bulky knee brace on and you know he will have a huge target on his back with the injury. I would take him in the 5th round ppr at the earliest and still be a bit worried.

All that said I wish him the best and he is a warrior so who knows.

Welker should be there later, right? Grab Colston or Jennings...then maybe snag Welker. I like Jennings over Colston. Brees spreads it around too much. If Welker is even at 85% of last year, he is still a stud, in PPR.

How many teams your league?

What spot do you have?

How many WR are held as keepers?

All those things factor in.

First time poster, but longtime lurker.

I'm glad you made this thread. I was about to sign up and pose the same question. Your team/league sounds like mine. I'm in a 2-keeper, 12-team, PPR league. I'm keeping Ray Rice and Matt Schaub (our league awards 6 points per passing TDs and .5 points per completion). I'm sitting at No. 12 and 13 and looking at least two of the same four WRs, and maybe all four, being there when I pick (I'm actually putting back Smith and Welker).

Anyway, I've been going back and forth on this. My gut is to go with Welker. He's been my No. 1 the past two years. In 08 I had the best regular season record. Last year, won the league. He is gold in PPR leagues. The 110-120 catches more than makes up for the 4 or 5 TDs he'll catch. But if he has any setbacks, it could devestate your team.

So my brain is telling me, in this order, 1. Jennings; 2. Colston; 3. Welker; 4. Smith.

But I'm going to follow Welker's progress closely the next couple of weeks. If the reports stay good, I may lean back toward Welker.

I also agree 100 percent, if you go with Welker, you have to use a late-round pick on Edelman.

I can't imagine anyone taking a risk on Welker in the first/second round. That's not a draft slot you want to mess with, so for my money Jennings>Colston>Smith and see if Welker is there a couple rounds later. Then you don't have to waste a pick on Edelman.

Lets say Welker is fully recovered and plays. Do you guys consider him a #1 in a PPR league?

Given your assumption, of course he's a WR1 in ppr. The question is: How valid is your assumption? Best reports I've read so far is that he himself feels about 85%, but it appears he is playing even better than that.

From today's practice:

WR Wes Welker made an amazing catch Wednesday, tiptoeing in the back corner of the end zone on a rollout by Tom Brady. The officials were so impressed that they just laughed without making the call one way or another.

Right now I'd say he's a high risk/high upside WR2 who i would not be at all afraid to draft in round 4 in ppr. So far he's beat all odds and ahead of all timetables. I'm watching his progress daily for any signs that he may NOT be 100%. But amazingly he has shown most of his old quickness and I might re-tier him upward to WR1 status for my later drafts.

Play of the Day: Brady to Welker TD on 4th Down

During down-and-distance work, the Patriots ended their down-and-distance series against the Saints defense with a 4th-and-goal in the New Orleans red zone, with the simulated game on the line. Brady took the shotgun snap, looked quickly to his right before spinning and rolling to his left. When Brady saw Wes Welker get open in the back corner of the end zone behind two Saints defenders, he fired across his body to his All-Pro wide receiver, who came down with the ball and both fee in bounds. The overflow crowd erupted in cheers, and Brady jokingly went after and “taunted” former teammate Randall Gay, the nearest Saints defender in coverage on the play.

~patriots.com

Right now I'd say he's a high risk/high upside WR2 who i would not be at all afraid to draft in round 4 in ppr. So far he's beat all odds and ahead of all timetables. I'm watching his progress daily for any signs that he may NOT be 100%. But amazingly he has shown most of his old quickness and I might re-tier him upward to WR1 status for my later drafts.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies everyone. It's a 10 team league and I have the 10th and 11th picks. Don't forget it's a two player keeper league so it's really round 3 and 4 for my picks.

Lets see. A guy who uses quick cut routes and direction change as his way to get open in the NFL just 9 monthes ago blew his knee out. To much risk for me. Welker will gut it out as he's a warrior. However I see lots of ice, lots of knee swelling, and lots of a drop in production compared to the last two years. Throw in a cup of Edelman, two tablespoons of Tate, and a sprinkle of Holt and the recipe is down numbers for Wes Welker.

Lets see. A guy who uses quick cut routes and direction change as his way to get open in the NFL just 9 monthes ago blew his knee out. To much risk for me. Welker will gut it out as he's a warrior. However I see lots of ice, lots of knee swelling, and lots of a drop in production compared to the last two years. Throw in a cup of Edelman, two tablespoons of Tate, and a sprinkle of Holt and the recipe is down numbers for Wes Welker.

Holt man not even make the team...they also drafted a WR this year they are sort of high on (T. Price).

Holt man not even make the team...they also drafted a WR this year they are sort of high on (T. Price).

"a sprinkle" = very little

sub in Price then, whatever, doesn't change the topic at hand.

I guess thanks for the little tidbit about who may or may not be the Pats 5th WR.

"a sprinkle" = very little

sub in Price then, whatever, doesn't change the topic at hand.

I guess thanks for the little tidbit about who may or may not be the Pats 5th WR.

You sound kinda dooshy. :wave:

:thumbsup:

My thoughts exactly. Who is to say....and this is purely speculation...nothing else but if ahead in a game by a couple of touchdowns Welker takes the sidelines and begins icing that knee coming off 9month blowout to give him a break.

No guarentees the Pats will be blowing everyone out like 2007 but I could see alot of spelling with edelman in certain situations to bring welker along cautiously. imo.