Sign in to follow this  
RSersen

Seahawks talking Contract with Vincent Jackson

The Seahawks have been granted written permission by the San Diego Chargers to discuss contract terms with holdout Vincent Jackson(notes), Seattle general manager John Schneider said through a team spokesman Friday. Chargers GM A.J. Smith declined to comment on the situation, but the Seahawks said they have talked to Jackson’s agents about the contract compensation that could pave the way for a trade for the wide receiver.

While no significant progress has occurred to this point, two sources close to the situation said San Diego is committed to trading Jackson, who is believed to be seeking a long-term contract worth more than $9 million per season, because the team expects that he will not report at all this season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-jacksonseahawks082010

Interesting. I honestly thought he would Joey Galloway this season.

The Hawks are loaded at WR--who goes back to SD? Housh? Branch? :dunno:

Hi having housh and branch is what you'd call loaded back in 2005 ;)

Golden tate and vjax would make a great wr combo for years to come.

The Hawks are loaded at WR--

:overhead:

I wonder what the deal would be??? Draft picks or does maybe Housh go to SD?

'Cos I'm interested in M Floyd and Legedu

Maybe Tate? And a pick.

For the slow ones:

Loaded meaning # of bodies on the roster. Try to keep up. :rolleyes:

T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Deion Branch, Golden Tate, Mike Williams, Benjamin Obomanu, Deon Butler, Kole Heckendorf, Mike Hass -> This is the Seahawks receiving core. By no means would I describe this as "loaded."

ps - Most commonly, people use the term "loaded" when there is: a) an abundance of players in a positional group (check) and b ) said players are a mix of current and future talent (no)

the onhly reason the Seahawks are "loaded" from a sheer numbers standpoint is that they lack quality.

Housh may bounce back and Tate may be promising. Everyone else is a has been or a never was.

as for where Jackson would fit.. well, the spot vacated after kicking one of the scraps to the curb

My guess...

SEAHAWKS get:

--Vincent Jackson

CHARGERS get:

--2011 2nd Round Pick

--2012 Conditional Pick

:dunno:

Hey! An intelligent post. That might not be too far off. Not sure how I feel about it, I'd like to see the team rebuilt a little more organically. A 2nd round pick could nab a more valuable need, like somebody that can rush the focking passer consistently. You can usually select an athletic, "tweener" type de/lb in the second, perfect for the leo standing end position. Im not 100% on how Jackson will look when Rivers isnt throwing him the ball. I guess we'll see.

Golden Tate's going to be a bust in the NFL.

I'm not sure if this is your usual outstanding insight or just a weak fishing attempt. Either way, good job guy! :thumbsup:

And on the state of Seattle's current corpse of WR's, I wouldnt use the term loaded, but they could be better then people expect.

Housh is one of the best possession guys in the league and had a strong season last year despite playing in a putrid offense.

Tate could be special and has a very unique skill set for his position.

Mike Williams is the wild card, and if he has his head screwed on right and is ready to put the work in. He could be the biggest surprise on the team and has passed every test so far.

2nd year man Deon Butler has been good in practices and could be a solid deep threat.

Branch is good when healthy, but I gave up on hoping for that years ago.

Obomanu has proven to be a very good ST gunner and a fairly capable receiver if needed.

Not going to set the world on fire, but the cupboard isn't bare either. Im more concerned about who is going to get them the ball this season and beyond. If we can get a good deal on Jackson (and after the Whitehurst trade Im skeptical) dropping Branch would probably be the move.

Don't go fitting him a 'Hawks Jersey just yet.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/26353/chargers-smart-to-consider-jackson-deal

Apparently the Redskins are looking to get in on this.. and if they get him then they'll have two legit WR's, Shanny's zone blocking run scheme and a fleet of used RB's. With McNabb throwing that's an above average offense.

The NFC BEast would be insane this year(if Kolb's not a scrub) if that happens.

If he's not blinded by the Skins $$, Jackson should go to the weaker division.. but then again, the 'Hawks haven't had an upright QB in a couple of years. Also, since he knows how good Whitehurst is if he goes to the East then that's a pretty decent sign that he doesn't think much of him and the reports of the Chargers fleecing the 'Hawks gain more credence.

Can't decide if I want him to come across or not.. would make the Giants have a tougher sched, but if he screws himself into another DWI with the skins then it would delicious watching them sitting on their thumbs during more drafts and a suspended receiver for a season.

Fun times!

I'm not sure if this is your usual outstanding insight or just a weak fishing attempt. Either way, good job guy! :thumbsup:

Neither. Glad you asked though.

It's what Charlie Casserly said on NFL Network during the draft talk time back in the spring. The guy was a longtime GM in the NFL with the Redskins and Texans. He drafted Mario Williams and had no interest in Reggie Bush at a time when the Texans needed a running back too.

He could be wrong about Tate. Have to wait and see.

T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Deion Branch, Golden Tate, Mike Williams, Benjamin Obomanu, Deon Butler, Kole Heckendorf, Mike Hass -> This is the Seahawks receiving core. By no means would I describe this as "loaded."

ps - Most commonly, people use the term "loaded" when there is: a) an abundance of players in a positional group (check) and b ) said players are a mix of current and future talent (no)

You forgot Ruvell Martin, which gives them 9 bodies plus 10 if they bring in VJax. Thus, loaded as in numbers, as I clarified, so I would imagine one would almost have to go back to SD. But thanks for playing.

It's what Charlie Casserly said on NFL Network during the draft talk time back in the spring. The guy was a longtime GM in the NFL with the Redskins and Texans. He drafted Mario Williams and had no interest in Reggie Bush at a time when the Texans needed a running back too.

Well if Charlie Casserly said it, the Hawks should just cut Tate now :rolleyes:

I dont see how the seahawks can pull the trigger on this. the guy is asking for 10 years 50 mil. they could have gotten brandon marshall for that money. plus the seahawks already dropped the soap over the whitehurst deal...what next a 1st rounder?

Hey! An intelligent post. That might not be too far off. Not sure how I feel about it, I'd like to see the team rebuilt a little more organically. A 2nd round pick could nab a more valuable need, like somebody that can rush the focking passer consistently. You can usually select an athletic, "tweener" type de/lb in the second, perfect for the leo standing end position. Im not 100% on how Jackson will look when Rivers isnt throwing him the ball. I guess we'll see.

I think Jackson would instantly make the Seahawks WR crew the strength of the team. A WR corp of Jackson, Houshmandzadeh, Tate, Williams, Butler, and Obamanu is pretty good. And when you also consider the contributions of Carlson, Forsett, and Washington (potentially), then this could/should be a good passing team. [Of course, that's assuming that Hasselback can stay upright and play even moderately well.]

At this point, I think the Chargers would love to get a 2011 2nd Rounder & a 2012 Conditional Pick (probably a 3rd Rounder that can become another 2nd Rounder if Jackson meets certain performance goals) in exchange for Jackson. After all, it's clear that Jackson isn't in the Chargers' future plans and the longer this nasty holdout lasts, the more of a distraction it becomes in the locker-room. I think the Chargers are starting to realize that Jackson is a commodity and it makes no sense NOT to trade him, assuming they get even a decent offer.

The big obstacle, I think, is the type of contract that Jackson would want from his new team. From what I've heard, he wants $9-$10 million/year in a long-term contract. (That's Larry Fitgerald/Brandon Marshall/Andre Johnson type money.) Jackson won't and shouldn't get that, and he needs to compromise a bit because he's simply not as good as those WRs. If he's smart, he'll accept $7-$8 million/year and move on -- if he plays well and is well-behaved (i.e. no more DUIs), then perhaps he'll get a raise/extension down the road.

:dunno:

I dont see how the seahawks can pull the trigger on this. the guy is asking for 10 years 50 mil. they could have gotten brandon marshall for that money. plus the seahawks already dropped the soap over the whitehurst deal...what next a 1st rounder?

shhhh

when they wiffed on Marshall it was a good thing due to his cost. Ask seahawk fans.

if they get Jackson for that contract and a 2nd rounder plus another pick, it will be an excellent deal despite his own off field issues.

shhhh

when they wiffed on Marshall it was a good thing due to his cost. Ask seahawk fans.

if they get Jackson for that contract and a 2nd rounder plus another pick, it will be an excellent deal despite his own off field issues.

That might not be too far off. Not sure how I feel about it, I'd like to see the team rebuilt a little more organically. A 2nd round pick could nab a more valuable need, like somebody that can rush the focking passer consistently. You can usually select an athletic, "tweener" type de/lb in the second, perfect for the leo standing end position. Im not 100% on how Jackson will look when Rivers isnt throwing him the ball. I guess we'll see.

I'm assuming you glossed right over this post chief. There is also the fact that Marshall was traded for two (meaning more then one) second round picks. Maybe you should just concern yourself with that green circus going on over on the East Coast. The erection you've had for the Seahawks is getting a bit old.

I'm assuming you glossed right over this post chief. There is also the fact that Marshall was traded for two (meaning more then one) second round picks. Maybe you should just concern yourself with that green circus going on over on the East Coast. The erection you've had for the Seahawks is getting a bit old.

im assuming you arn't the only seahawk fan, chief.

i could go concern myself with the Jets, and I could also comment in interesting threads on the FF website I visit. :dunno:

its less that i have an erection for the seahawks and more that you guys get riled up so easily.

I didn't like the Whitehurst deal because Seattle overpaid. Not that Whitehurst can't play, which we won't know for a few years, but he certainly looked sharp last week. And the front office has done a great job this year other than the Whitehurst trade. Even the Lendale White trade worked out as we got Vickerson as part of the deal, and he looks like a starting DT for us this year.

One of my reservations with a potential trade is the contract Vincent Jackson will receive. Money is not a problem for Paul Allen. But, is he worth the scratch he wants? Nope. Certainly, he is talented. WR just doesn't strike me as a team weakness at this point. In fact, it's probably one of the strongest positions on the Seahawks. Not sure why the constant search for more WRs. I'm scratching my head.

Also, if I am not mistaken, Seattle traded this upcoming year's 3rd round pick to San Diego as part of the Whitehurst trade. So, San Diego would own Seattle's 2nd and 3rd this year potentially, and might get another pick? Yuck. For a rebuilding team, it's hard to give up those high picks. Still, a 2nd for Vincent Jackson isn't the worst thing in the world.

I guess I'm lukewarm to the whole thing.

im assuming you arn't the only seahawk fan, chief.

i could go concern myself with the Jets, and I could also comment in interesting threads on the FF website I visit. :dunno:

its less that i have an erection for the seahawks and more that you guys get riled up so easily.

Soooo, if your little remark wasn't intended for all Seahawk fans, why didn't you just address it to whom it concerned? Thats like me saying all Jets fans are pompous, clueless d-bags who constantly talk out their asses. Rather then blanketing all Jet fans, I can just adress that statement to you.

No details of what Seattle would have to give up have even been made public, everything in here is pure speculation, so I find it rather premature to compare anything to the Brandon Marshall deal.

Nobody is riled up, merely calling you out on your bullsh!t ;)

I didn't like the Whitehurst deal because Seattle overpaid. Not that Whitehurst can't play, which we won't know for a few years, but he certainly looked sharp last week. And the front office has done a great job this year other than the Whitehurst trade. Even the Lendale White trade worked out as we got Vickerson as part of the deal, and he looks like a starting DT for us this year.

One of my reservations with a potential trade is the contract Vincent Jackson will receive. Money is not a problem for Paul Allen. But, is he worth the scratch he wants? Nope. Certainly, he is talented. WR just doesn't strike me as a team weakness at this point. In fact, it's probably one of the strongest positions on the Seahawks. Not sure why the constant search for more WRs. I'm scratching my head.

Also, if I am not mistaken, Seattle traded this upcoming year's 3rd round pick to San Diego as part of the Whitehurst trade. So, San Diego would own Seattle's 2nd and 3rd this year potentially, and might get another pick? Yuck. For a rebuilding team, it's hard to give up those high picks. Still, a 2nd for Vincent Jackson isn't the worst thing in the world.

I guess I'm lukewarm to the whole thing.

So thats three Seahawk fans that are lukewarm at best on bringing in Jackson for less then Marshall's cost. Gotta love the simple-minded on here jumping to their own conclusions.

Soooo, if your little remark wasn't intended for all Seahawk fans, why didn't you just address it to whom it concerned? Thats like me saying all Jets fans are pompous, clueless d-bags who constantly talk out their asses. Rather then blanketing all Jet fans, I can just adress that statement to you.

No details of what Seattle would have to give up have even been made public, everything in here is pure speculation, so I find it rather premature to compare anything to the Brandon Marshall deal.

Nobody is riled up, merely calling you out on your bullsh!t ;)

you assumed i glossed over your post. i did not. You are not the only Hawks fan yet defended yourself as if i was only talking to you.... I guess i could have said "hawks fans other than joey gladstone" but cmon.

yes, most of this is speculation. So i was speculating that if the Hawks end up trading for Jackson, it will be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Nevermind his own off field concerns and the price tag he is seemingly asking for.

since that post phillybear has also chimed in with his trepidation. Perhaps you guys are smarter than you usually act.... or maybe Flahawker just gives the rest of you a bad name :lol:

the one cute thing about you guys is the usual response of "go worry about the Jets!"... your "ace in the hole" if you will when it comes to conversation and debate.

Soooo, drafting a well-rounded defensive end with loads of pass-rushing talent (a premium commodity in this league) over a running back with the 1st overall pick somehow makes his opinion of Tate more credible? Gotcha :thumbsup:

I like Tate. I think its unfair to label him anything this early... actually unfair is an understatement.

I don't see him being part of a trade though. Housh is not a young man and if Seattle does indeed go after Jackson, they should still want to mold Tate into the future #2WR.

you assumed i glossed over your post. i did not. You are not the only Hawks fan yet defended yourself as if i was only talking to you.... I guess i could have said "hawks fans other than joey gladstone" but cmon.

since that post phillybear has also chimed in with his trepidation. Perhaps you guys are smarter than you usually act.... or maybe Flahawker just gives the rest of you a bad name :lol:

Not one Hawk fan endorsed Jackson before you made your little remark. You were doing what you do best, talking out your ass.

the one cute thing about you guys is the usual response of "go worry about the Jets!"... your "ace in the hole" if you will when it comes to conversation and debate.

there was no conversation or debate, I was just adressing the unfunny, baseless comment you made...appartenly to just one specific Hawk fan. You literally brought nothing to this topic.

I like Tate. I think its unfair to label him anything this early... actually unfair is an understatement.

I don't see him being part of a trade though. Housh is not a young man and if Seattle does indeed go after Jackson, they should still want to mold Tate into the future #2WR.

We are in agreement here. Tate would not be part of any deal.

Not one Hawk fan endorsed Jackson before you made your little remark. You were doing what you do best, talking out your ass.

there was no conversation or debate, I was just adressing the unfunny, baseless comment you made...appartenly to just one specific Hawk fan. You literally brought nothing to this topic.

actually before that comment I had been talking about the difference between stacked as in sheer numbers and stacked as in talent and explaining why the amount of bodies at WR wouldnt have any bearing on a decision to go after Jackson.

you simply chose to focus on a comment you disagreed with. thats fine.

actually before that comment I had been talking about the difference between stacked as in sheer numbers and stacked as in talent and explaining why the amount of bodies at WR wouldnt have any bearing on a decision to go after Jackson.

you simply chose to focus on a comment you disagreed with. thats fine.

I dont care about the "stacked" argument. The comment I focused on was the comment that had no credibility.

Soooo, drafting a well-rounded defensive end with loads of pass-rushing talent (a premium commodity in this league) over a running back with the 1st overall pick somehow makes his opinion of Tate more credible? Gotcha :thumbsup:

His opinion is more credible than yours and more credible than the poorly run Seahawks.

yes, most of this is speculation. So i was speculating that if the Hawks end up trading for Jackson, it will be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Nevermind his own off field concerns and the price tag he is seemingly asking for.

If the Seahawks fans pull off a trade to get Vincent Jackson, it will be a flow blown VJax :wub: lovefest by the Seattle fans here.

I dont care about the "stacked" argument. The comment I focused on was the comment that had no credibility.

then why say i was bringing nothing to the thread?

who is the one talking out their ass again?