Sign in to follow this  
tenaciousb

If you hate RBBC, here's your guy

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/s_695857.html

The Steelers expect Mendenhall to do everything this year, meaning he will rarely come off the field.

"My goal is staying out there until I can't," Mendenhall said. "That's my role."

In this era of the running back by committee, the Steelers are looking in a different direction when it comes to Mendenhall.

"He is such an explosive player that you just don't take those guys off the field," Arians said.

Arians plans to use Mendenhall much more than the 242 carries and 1,108 yards he totaled last year. He expects to utilize Mendenhall more out of the backfield as a receiver as well. Mendenhall caught 25 passes a season ago and found the end zone eight times.

Mendenhall is expected to be the third-down back, the goal-line back and possibly the short-yardage guy, too.

"There are not a lot of those types of players in the NFL that can play in every situation," running backs coach Kirby Wilson said. "He is capable physically and athletically to play in all those areas."

If he doesn't stop fumbling Tomlin will not hesitate to :bench: , no matter how much smoke the rest of the coaching staff is blowing up Mendenhall's ass.

That's my biggest concern about him right now. He has the talent, and the opportunity - Dwyer looks headed to the practice squad, and I can't see Redman making that big of a dent in Mendenhall's workload, or his goal line carries.

He can be a very good every down back, but he's gotta hold onto the football. I already own him in both my leagues, but I'm excited to see what he does tonight.

i like mendenhall but i am worried of fumbles and that o-line is not the greatest.......

It's not, but Mendy was still able to get almost 1,200 yards in 12 games behind it last year - and that was with him giving up carries to Parker, and Moore on third downs. Pouncey is going to be an immediate upgrade whether he starts at C or RG, and while Flozell looked like total garbage in the first game, I'm willing to wait and see a little more before I write him off.

i like mendenhall but i am worried of fumbles and that o-line is not the greatest.......

You are half correct, the line is one of the worst pass blocking lines in the league, however they are pretty decent at run blocking.

I just drafted him this afternoon in my 10 team league. Drafted from the four spot- took Ray Rice with my 1st rounder and Mendenhall in the 2nd. I ended up with Kolb, Calvin Johnson, Desean Jackson, Ray Rice, Mendenhall, Antonio Gates as my starting bunch.

I too am interested in seeing Mendenhall in action tonight

Steelers plan on keeping him in there on all downs. But do not say I didn't warn you Ike "Redzone" Redman will be the shortyardage guy (2 yards or less and inside the 5).

8 carries - 11 yards.

Yes, this guy is a stud. :sleep:

8 carries - 11 yards.

I'm not sold on Mendy at all. Unfortunately, he's my keeper in my $400 league (you get to keep 1 player drafted after the 2nd round from the previous year). I want to throw up with him as my keeper. I have 0 confidence in him carrying my team as a keeper. I suppose I'll have to do some extra praying to the fantasy football gawds this season.

8 carries - 11 yards.

I look for this guy to have a sort of benson on the bears type of season. Dud.

I just drafted him this afternoon in my 10 team league. Drafted from the four spot- took Ray Rice with my 1st rounder and Mendenhall in the 2nd. I ended up with Kolb, Calvin Johnson, Desean Jackson, Ray Rice, Mendenhall, Antonio Gates as my starting bunch.

I too am interested in seeing Mendenhall in action tonight

:lol:

8 carries - 11 yards.

Shonn Green went 6 carries for 10 yards in his preseason game, you better avoid him as well :rolleyes:

Shonn Green went 6 carries for 10 yards in his preseason game, you better avoid him as well :rolleyes:

Actually........

Considering his running style/proneness to injury and his split with LT, as compared to his ADP.......I have.

Actually........

Considering his running style/proneness to injury and his split with LT, as compared to his ADP.......I have.

I agree with you on that. But neither of us are avoiding Greene because of his stat line in the first couple series of an exhibition game. Which is the obviously the point MTSki is making.

I agree with you on that. But neither of us are avoiding Greene because of his stat line in the first couple series of an exhibition game. Which is the obviously the point MTSki is making.

I dont think we will see any long running, spinning, leaping pretty plays but he will grind out 90 yards and a td a game. I will take that.

ANYone who looks at stat lines, or pays ANY attention to ANYthing other than HOW a player is used during preseason deserves what he gets. Thanks for posting that article. That's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for!

ANYone who looks at stat lines, or pays ANY attention to ANYthing other than HOW a player is used during preseason deserves what he gets.

LOL.......wish more people (particularly ANY owners in my leagues) thought like you.

Welcome to the bored (yes, that is how we spell it here)....open your mind and let the learning begin!

You better hope Mendenhall is just a tad better in the regular season.

Because he has rushed the ball 13 times so far in 2 preseason games for 13 yards :lock:

Instead of drafting Mendenhall trade for him around week 3. Especially if the owner who drafts him is one that like to trade and gives up on people quickly. Cause with absolutely no threat of a passing game, until Big Ben comes back in either week 5 or 7, Mendenhall may struggle in those weeks. Defenses will probably dare them to throw the ball and gear up to stop Mendenhall.

:doublethumbsup: