Sign in to follow this  
JTB

Tim Hightower

Tim Hightower is a back that catches a lot of balls out of the back field. With the debacle in Arizona and the fact they will likely be playing from behind often, I think Hightower could get a lot of catches and yards on 3rd downs making him a decent start at RB or flex. Wells had dinged his leg and a lot of websites, including FFtoday, has Hightower listed as the #1 running back in Arizona.

Am I missing something, or week #1 with the Cards facing the Rams, Hightower could be a point machine. I currently have Farve as my flex and Mendy and Charles as my 2 RB's. Is there a strong case for plugging Hightower in?

Discuss..... :bench:

Do any West coasters or Arizona homers know any more about the Hightower/Wells situation? :unsure:

Even if Wells is out, I would start Favre. Unless your QB scoring is terrible, this is a no brainer. A poor game by Favre should still net you 15 points by just about any format.

ETA: If Wells is out, that would be a tough call between hightower and charles. I would still start charles. I would see how the cards offense is with anderson at the helm for a week or two before starting hightower.

Even if Wells is out, I would start Favre. Unless your QB scoring is terrible, this is a no brainer. A poor game by Favre should still net you 15 points by just about any format.

Thank you. I appreciate your answer. For other readers I don't want to turn this into a thread on "Who do I start?" Rather, is Hightower going to be the feature fantasy back in Zona?

Beanie Wells is the starter. I haven't heard anything about hightower even competing for the starting job.

As far as beanie's health, I don't have an update for you.

I agree that hightower is a good, start in a PPR league if wells is out, especially against the rams. I wouldn't get too excited though, for reasons I mentioned in my previous post.

AZ homer here,

I think the Wells/Hightower situation will be similar to the Carolina situation with Wells being Deangelo and Stewart being Hightower (in terms of usage/timeshare). Wisenhunt likes Hightower for his pass protection and ability to catch the ball out of the backfield. In a PPR I like Hightower, not to mention Beanie's propensity to get nicked up here and there.

Also I think you guys are overestimating the demise of the Cards. I think the D will be Top 10-12 and Anderson's ability to stretch the field will open things up moreso than they would have been with Leinart. I don't expect Anderson to revert to his Pro-Bowl year, but I don't expect him to look like last year either. This team is most likely an 8-10 win team depending on injuries.

In regards to this week, Wells tweaked his knee in the last preseason game. He won't practice this week and will probably play, perhaps limited this week against the Rams. Also Hightower is still the start according to Wisenhunt, though Beanie will still get the majority of the carries.

Beanie Wells is the starter. I haven't heard anything about hightower even competing for the starting job.

As far as beanie's health, I don't have an update for you.

I agree that hightower is a good, start in a PPR league if wells is out, especially against the rams. I wouldn't get too excited though, for reasons I mentioned in my previous post.

AZ homer here. Hightower is still listed as the starter and I can virtually guarantee that he will start against the Rams. Wells is clearly the superior running talent but a light bulb hasn't quite gone on in his head, especially in pass blocking. Whisenhunt is not going to start him until he earns it.

That being said, I'm not sure how much RBs catch passes from Anderson. If Leinart were in, I'd say Hightower would be in for a huge PPR day. Now, I suspect his points will come more from TDs.

To the other AZ homer, I agree on the defense and they are a great play this week. They are going to throw the kitchen sink at Bradford. 8 in the box, 5+ man rushes every time. JMO

Found this on Rotoworld....

Beanie Wells-RB- Cardinals Aug. 18 - 8:17 am et

ESPN's John Clayton says that although Tim Hightower is the "starter," Beanie Wells will get 75 percent of the carries this season.

As the Cardinals shift to a more run-heavy attack in the post-Kurt Warner era, Wells is going to be the bell cow. Hightower is the nominal starter as the more experienced player, but make no mistake: Wells is the feature back.

I think if Arizona gets behind Hightower will be more apart of the offense because of his receiving and pass blocking abilities. However Weisenhunt (sp) is a run first guy from the PIT mold (solid D, run the ball, ball controll). As long as Beanie is not hurt (I don't think he will be healthy all year) I think Hightower will be a third down back.

(edit): Just wanted to add I do think Hightower will get more than 25% of the carries and more TD's than Beanie.

AZ homer here. Hightower is still listed as the starter and I can virtually guarantee that he will start against the Rams. Wells is clearly the superior running talent but a light bulb hasn't quite gone on in his head, especially in pass blocking. Whisenhunt is not going to start him until he earns it.

That being said, I'm not sure how much RBs catch passes from Anderson. If Leinart were in, I'd say Hightower would be in for a huge PPR day. Now, I suspect his points will come more from TDs.

To the other AZ homer, I agree on the defense and they are a great play this week. They are going to throw the kitchen sink at Bradford. 8 in the box, 5+ man rushes every time. JMO

Thanks Jerry.

Although he may not be a week one starter for my roster I think he may deserve a spot on my bench. I could easly drop Matt Moore for Hightower! :P

i will go ahead and defer to zona homers, but i would like to point out that, in the preseason, they used hightower with the first unit and then got him out of harms way - and he sat there with the team's other top players and watched beanie run the ball while people trying to make the team were out there. i saw beanie in there deep in the 2nd half on multiple occassions.

i know - don't read anything into the preseason. but it was clear from the use of the two backs, that they're clearly comfortable that hightower "has it" and they do not, yet, trust beanie to where they could protect him along with their best players. he was out there in harms way in these games because he has work to do.

i have both these guys in my dynasty. in my several redrafts, i got hightower in each one as (what i thought was) superb value as a very late round pick.

until i actually see beanie in there getting lots of reps, i will not believe it

Thanks Jerry.

Although he may not be a week one starter for my roster I think he may deserve a spot on my bench. I could easly drop Matt Moore for Hightower! :P

YW. As killersquids said though, Favre is likely your starter. That being said, there are worse starts than Hightower vs. the Rams.

I wouldn't want to start Hightower if Wells is starting even in PPR. I think Hightower is too inconsistent in that situation. Beanie has an injury track record though, which moves Hightower's value up huge if he gets dinged up. Hightower is a potential flex play in PPR with Wells 100%, and probably a solid #2 in a 12 or 14 team league if Wells is out.

Just some conservative estimates if Wells is 100% healthy... AZ 365 rushes last year, we'll use that # to be conservative.. 25% to Hightower is 91.

Wells Healthy 16 games

TH = 91 rushes, 364 yards, 45 catches, 390 yards, 5 total TD's. 150 points PPR.

BW = 274 rushes, 1096 yards, 20 receptions, 180 yards, 8 TD's. 196 points PPR.

Wells Healthy 12 games

TH = 159 rushes, 636 yards, 55 catches, 476 yards, 6 total TD's. 201 points PPR.

BW = 206 rushes, 824 yards, 16 receptions, 140 yards, 7 total TD's. 154 points PPR.

Going to depend if Wells is healthy this year. I think the AZ D will be good enough to allow him 1,000 yards+ if he stays in there.

Hightower has quite good value if Wells goes out, though. imo.

I wouldn't want to start Hightower if Wells is starting even in PPR. I think Hightower is too inconsistent in that situation. Beanie has an injury track record though, which moves Hightower's value up huge if he gets dinged up. Hightower is a potential flex play in PPR with Wells 100%, and probably a solid #2 in a 12 or 14 team league if Wells is out.

Just some conservative estimates if Wells is 100% healthy... AZ 365 rushes last year, we'll use that # to be conservative.. 25% to Hightower is 91.

Wells Healthy 16 games

TH = 91 rushes, 364 yards, 45 catches, 390 yards, 5 total TD's. 150 points PPR.

BW = 274 rushes, 1096 yards, 20 receptions, 180 yards, 8 TD's. 196 points PPR.

Wells Healthy 12 games

TH = 159 rushes, 636 yards, 55 catches, 476 yards, 6 total TD's. 201 points PPR.

BW = 206 rushes, 824 yards, 16 receptions, 140 yards, 7 total TD's. 154 points PPR.

Going to depend if Wells is healthy this year. I think the AZ D will be good enough to allow him 1,000 yards+ if he stays in there.

Hightower has quite good value if Wells goes out, though. imo.

Rather nice observation.

:cheers:

AZ homer here,

I think the Wells/Hightower situation will be similar to the Carolina situation with Wells being Deangelo and Stewart being wells (in terms of usage/timeshare). Wisenhunt likes Hightower for his pass protection and ability to catch the ball out of the backfield. In a PPR I like Hightower, not to mention Beanie's propensity to get nicked up here and there.

Also I think you guys are overestimating the demise of the Cards. I think the D will be Top 10-12 and Anderson's ability to stretch the field will open things up moreso than they would have been with Leinart. I don't expect Anderson to revert to his Pro-Bowl year, but I don't expect him to look like last year either. This team is most likely an 8-10 win team depending on injuries.

In regards to this week, Wells tweaked his knee in the last preseason game. He won't practice this week and will probably play, perhaps limited this week against the Rams. Also Hightower is still the start according to Wisenhunt, though Beanie will still get the majority of the carries.

:doublethumbsup: I have to agree with most of this. The only thing is, I don't see Wells getting 75% of the carries right away. He has a long way to go in picking up blitzes, pass blocking, etc. HT will be the better play early, with Wells likely surpassing him at some point. I wouldn't want either as anything more than an RB3 though. I have managed to avoid them in all drafts. I only have HT deep on the depth chart in a dynasty.

:doublethumbsup: I have to agree with most of this. The only thing is, I don't see Wells getting 75% of the carries right away. He has a long way to go in picking up blitzes, pass blocking, etc. HT will be the better play early, with Wells likely surpassing him at some point. I wouldn't want either as anything more than an RB3 though. I have managed to avoid them in all drafts. I only have HT deep on the depth chart in a dynasty.

If Hightower can:

Carry ther ball 8 times for 30 yards = 3 points

Catch 6 passes = 6 points

Catch 6 passes for 50 yards = 5 points

That is 14 points for a back who is available in a lot of leagues. Thrown in 8 TD's through out the season and he'll average you 16 - 18 ppg! ;)

If Hightower can:

Carry ther ball 8 times for 30 yards = 3 points

Catch 6 passes = 6 points

Catch 6 passes for 50 yards = 5 points

That is 14 points for a back who is available in a lot of leagues. Thrown in 8 TD's through out the season and he'll average you 16 - 18 ppg! ;)

I guess it depends on your scoring system. In most of my leagues, you aren't getting anywhere near 14 points for 80 total yards and no TDs. I still like him ahead of Wells for the first few games at least.

I guess it depends on your scoring system. In most of my leagues, you aren't getting anywhere near 14 points for 80 total yards and no TDs. I still like him ahead of Wells for the first few games at least.

The league I'm in is very generous giving 1 pt. per reception. :shocking: It makes a huge difference in who you start and who rides the :bench: .

Found this on Rotoworld....

Beanie Wells-RB- Cardinals Aug. 18 - 8:17 am et

ESPN's John Clayton says that although Tim Hightower is the "starter," Beanie Wells will get 75 percent of the carries this season.

As the Cardinals shift to a more run-heavy attack in the post-Kurt Warner era, Wells is going to be the bell cow. Hightower is the nominal starter as the more experienced player, but make no mistake: Wells is the feature back.

I think if Arizona gets behind Hightower will be more apart of the offense because of his receiving and pass blocking abilities. However Weisenhunt (sp) is a run first guy from the PIT mold (solid D, run the ball, ball controll). As long as Beanie is not hurt (I don't think he will be healthy all year) I think Hightower will be a third down back.

(edit): Just wanted to add I do think Hightower will get more than 25% of the carries and more TD's than Beanie.

I don't think Wells is capable of carrying that load. Wells not only gets nicked up easily but can't play hurt and he takes forever to heal. The word in AZ is that there will be a 50/50 split.

(RotoWire) Coach Ken Whisenhunt hinted that the Cardinals might go the cautious route with Wells (knee bruise) this week, Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic reports. "What concerns me is I don't want this to be something in week 12, or week 13 or week 14 that you're having issues with," Whisenhunt said of Wells' knee issue Thursday. Analysis: Wells did not practice Thursday and Whisenhunt's words suggest that the team could rest their running back early on, with the long haul in mind. Either way, there will be more on Wells' status, at the latest by the time Friday's official injury report comes out.

^ I don't know if I could roll with Hightower over A. Foster.

I'm starting Foster, Forte and Hightower. Addai is seeing the bench this week.

** No one cares but I have put Addai back in...