Sign in to follow this  
Matthew's Berry's

i NEVA draft a QB in first couple rounds

I went against my traditional trend and went Manning 1st round in one draft and Brady in the late 2nd in another.

I was going to wait for the likes of a Flacco, Kolb or Favre like I usually do every year ... how did that workout for the rest of you??

I waited and drafted Flacco and Palmer. Then I used my waiver spot to pickup Vick before last week. I started Palmer week one and Vick week two. I'd say waiting on a quarterback worked out just fine for me.

I was going to wait for the likes of a Flacco, Kolb or Favre like I usually do every year ... how did that workout for the rest of you??

Probably not as well as it did for those who waited and got Orton or Cutler.

The fact that you wait on a QB doesn't assure you of anything. You still have to draft the right guys. And if you waited on Cutler/Orton, your strategy worked and you're probably sitting pretty.

Waiting on a QB is a great strategy....if you get the right guys. Maybe next year you'll be able to pinpoint better talent in the later rounds.

I went against my traditional trend and went Manning 1st round in one draft and Brady in the late 2nd in another.

Jay Cutler is owning you! That is all!

I drafted McNafro in the 9th round of a 12 teamer.

I'm quite happy with him right now.

I drafted McNafro in the 9th round of a 12 teamer.

I'm quite happy with him right now.

waited til bout round 8 to get cutler and i have vick as his backup

I got Ryan in the middle rounds, Big Ben later to stash away as my back-up and now I'm hoping to pick QB Dog Killer off the waivers this week. The only person with a higher waiver pick than me is a professional dog groomer, so I think I'll get him. My 0-2 start has little to do with my team, and everything to do with going up against the second highest scorer in week 1, and highest scorer in week 2 (I was 3rd).

I do wish I'd nabbed Brady or Manning now in the second round, Shonn Greene has been a joke.

I too ended up going QB much earlier than normal in most of my leagues. Twice it was taking Phillip Rivers.

Im not going to say that waiting on a QB wouldn't have worked. You could have selected Cutler who was a popular target, or Eli... but it was widely discussed that there were a TON of great QB's to be had later in the draft and alot of them have not panned out quite yet.

Kolb, Flacco, Henne, Favre, Ryan, Palmer

for those of you saying hey, i started Palmer week 1 and then picked up Vick and started him week 2, that works and all but I'd still rather have 1 set guy.

I started drafting QBs early 2 years ago. It has worked out fine.

Oh, and Cutler is my backup in both.

So looking back with the 3rd pick I went Manning instead of MJD (WAY WAY against the the grain of old school for me). Then I got AFoster where I probably would of gone Favre/Flacco.

PManning/AFoster >> Favre/MJD ... now and probably forever!

In the other I went AJohnson with the 5th pick (instead of RRice) and then Brady (instead of SGreene). SO FREAKING HAPPY I broke my RBRB trend and went to the air ... I'm now a believer that the tides have changed, it is truly a different game then years ago. Still ended up with RBrown, MForte, DMcFadden and THightower as RBs. Not 100% sold on them but damn they are putting up good numbers out of the gate!!

RIP RBRB.

I targeted Cutler but he was grabbed in the 6th round. :shocking: So I ended up with Favre and Kolb. Then the guy who took Cutler outbid me for Vick :shocking: :huh:.

See that is the thing, it really depends on the scoring of your league..and with more and more teams going to dual RB systems, WR's and QB's become much more valuable.

Typically I wait (last year got Schaub in round 7 and year before Warner in round 8) but this year I was nervous about the late guys. Even now if I owned Cutler, Vick, McNabb, I'd be scared sh!tless right now. It's hard to believe it'll last.

This year, I got Schaub early in round 3 (3.3) and am very satisfied. I just hope Arian Foster cools a little so they have to throw like they did last week.

I've also got Ruthlessburger in round 12 backing him up.

for those of you saying hey, i started Palmer week 1 and then picked up Vick and started him week 2, that works and all but I'd still rather have 1 set guy.

Well my strategy if i'm going to wait on a quarterback is to also grab a good backup or two and then be able to play matchups all year. I don't expect 1 of my guys to put up the numbers of a 3rd or 4th round quarterback but I think if I start whoever has the best matchup I can get almost the same points from the position without using a high pick.

Too early to write off Flacco. He will get better...two games against top 5 defenses will cause almost any QB to struggle. After Pittsburgh next week, his schedule softens up quite a bit. And the playoff schedule (Saints, Texans, Browns) is money....of course, assuming you get there.

I wanted to take a QB early this year (or get Rivers in round 4), but four went in round 1, Schuab and Romo went early in round 3, and Rivers went a few picks before me in round 4. I don't much regret passing on them, b/c I think picking any of them would have been a reach. Once those guys were off the board, I had little interest in overdrafting from the next tier (Kolb, Flacco, and Cutler went in round six - Cutler burned me last year).

I took McNabb in round 10 and backed him up with DAnderson and ASmith. I was hoping to get Roethlisberger as a backup, but he went a round earlier. I'll continue looking at other options. McNabb looked great last week, but he really needs more weapons, especially a redzone target.