Sign in to follow this  
fanfootballtn

Jahvid Best is fools gold

You got taken to the woodshed. Give the man his due.

:thumbsup: That's all I asked for. Instead of coming back and saying man you were right, I get name called or they are too cowardly to admit they were wrong. Until then, I'll give an update on Broken Best's injuries all year long. B)

Fools gold? Did you draft him in the first 3 rounds? If so, you reached. Im thinking most got him in the 5th round, i got him in the 7th of a 10 teamer...

As far as injuries go, he already was nicked up well before this thread was made so it wasn't entirely unseen that he might eventually miss a week or 2 with that toe. But injuries are injuries and there are countless RB's dealing with them.

If he eventually misses several weeks or plays but is shut down by defenses keying on him, then yeah maybe his owners are disappointed and he is a "bust" but its far too early to be claiming that.

Fools gold? Did you draft him in the first 3 rounds? If so, you reached. Im thinking most got him in the 5th round, i got him in the 7th of a 10 teamer...

As far as injuries go, he already was nicked up well before this thread was made so it wasn't entirely unseen that he might eventually miss a week or 2 with that toe. But injuries are injuries and there are countless RB's dealing with them.

If he eventually misses several weeks or plays but is shut down by defenses keying on him, then yeah maybe his owners are disappointed and he is a "bust" but its far too early to be claiming that.

As far as the injury, the Lions never released the information that he was hurt. Certainly after the 2nd game, there was no signs of an injury. Just because you drafted him in the 3rd, 5th or 21st round, it doesn't mean he can't be classified as fool's gold. Fool's gold is when you think you have something vaulable and all of a sudden it disappears. He was the highest point scorer after week 2 in every league with 5 TD's. He had already surpassed his yearly prediction. With his performance, people started putting him as a top 5 overall draft for next year. All I am say is he won't finish in the top 25 in point scoring. Had you traded him like I did after week 1, you could of gotten a better player. I traded him for CJ Spiller and got laughed at. Spiller is way the hell a better player than Best and by the end of the year, you will see. Had I waited to trade him after week 2, I probably could have gotten Spiller and a tier 1 WR or QB.

As far as the injury, the Lions never released the information that he was hurt. Certainly after the 2nd game, there was no signs of an injury. Just because you drafted him in the 3rd, 5th or 21st round, it doesn't mean he can't be classified as fool's gold. Fool's gold is when you think you have something vaulable and all of a sudden it disappears. He was the highest point scorer after week 2 in every league with 5 TD's. He had already surpassed his yearly prediction. with his performance, people started putting him as a top 5 overall draft for next year. All I am say is he won't finish in the top 25 in point scoring. Had you traded him like I did after week 1, you could of gotten a better player. I traded him for CJ Spiller and got laughed at. Spiller is way the hell a better player than Best and by the end of the year, you will see. Had I waited to trade him after week 2, I probably could have gotten Spiller and a tier 1 WR or QB.

Link?

As far as the injury, the Lions never released the information that he was hurt. Certainly after the 2nd game, there was no signs of an injury. Just because you drafted him in the 3rd, 5th or 21st round, it doesn't mean he can't be classified as fool's gold. Fool's gold is when you think you have something vaulable and all of a sudden it disappears. He was the highest point scorer after week 2 in every league with 5 TD's. He had already surpassed his yearly prediction. With his performance, people started putting him as a top 5 overall draft for next year. All I am say is he won't finish in the top 25 in point scoring. Had you traded him like I did after week 1, you could of gotten a better player. I traded him for CJ Spiller and got laughed at. Spiller is way the hell a better player than Best and by the end of the year, you will see. Had I waited to trade him after week 2, I probably could have gotten Spiller and a tier 1 WR or QB.

well, i guess if you are one of those people who put him as a top 5 pick next year based on one game... :dunno: Not sure why anyone would do that.

and yes, there were reports that he had a minor toe injury prior to week 3.

well, i guess if you are one of those people who put him as a top 5 pick next year based on one game... :dunno: Not sure why anyone would do that.

and yes, there were reports that he had a minor toe injury prior to week 3.

News: Lions RB Jahvid Best is on the injury report for Week 2 against the Eagles as having a toe injury. His presence on the report is surprising, since coach Jim Schwartz confirmed the injury hasn't resulted in missed practice time. Best should be fine for Sunday's game as he is listed as probable. Best made quite a splash in his NFL debut as he became the first rookie to rush for two touchdowns in Week 1 since LaDainian Tomlinson accomplished the feat in 2001. "He'll run better and better as he plays more games," offensive coordinator Scott Linehan said. "We just all have to do a better job of getting in position to have a better run game."

7th round? :doh:

I'm surprised your me-maw didn't grab him at the turn of the 6th.

7th round? :doh:

I'm surprised your me-maw didn't grab him at the turn of the 6th.

:rolleyes:

you do realize that Bests ADP in 10 teamers didn't peak as a late 4th rounder until the end of August right?

in late July his ADP was 6th round. So sorry I got him in the 7th. :lol:

LOL at Best for Spiller being called a sell-high. I was skeptical of Best before the season, but he looks pretty good. Best for Spiller may end up being a pretty even trade, but I don't see any reason to celebrate over it.

Also LOL at "selling high" on Best after week 1. He didn't even do that well in week 1, he just managed to get 2 TD's.

:rolleyes:

you do realize that Bests ADP in 10 teamers didn't peak as a late 4th rounder until the end of August right?

in late July his ADP was 6th round. So sorry I got him in the 7th. :lol:

Drafting in July? Just when I think your league couldn't suck harder.

thats an entirely different issue.

stick to your original schtick, slapnuts

Do you draft early cuz your little siss has softball in august?

thats more like it

You got taken to the woodshed. Give the man his due.

Because of 1 bad game?

Also, I don't understand that expression.

You guys here are overreacting on both sides - it's only week 4. He had 1 monster game. For those that "sold high" after week 2, good for you. I wouldn't call a trade that's Best for Spiller selling high on Best though. You're just trying to make yourself feel better by coming on here and trying to legitimize what you did to the board. I'm sure no one would feel good about trading Best after week 1 before his huge game.

There's still a whole season to play. Even if defenses start to focus on him, he will still get his. If you can manage to sell high still, go for it. Don't settle for a bag of corn chips though.

Trading Best for a completely ineffective CJ Spiller is a monstrous downgrade...

I have both, and even nicked up, Best will handily outscore Spiller and be startable vs Spiller being the 2nd/3rd guy with Marshawn and Fred Jackson both being quality backs...

You can't start a guy that will only get 1/3 of the touches...

given the injury right now, i'd still take Best over spiller 10 out of 10 times...

Trading Best for a completely ineffective CJ Spiller is a monstrous downgrade...

I have both, and even nicked up, Best will handily outscore Spiller and be startable vs Spiller being the 2nd/3rd guy with Marshawn and Fred Jackson both being quality backs...

You can't start a guy that will only get 1/3 of the touches...

given the injury right now, i'd still take Best over spiller 10 out of 10 times...

I never said Spiller for Best was a high sell. I said he is a better back and I traded Best before week 2. I'm in a keeper league and I think CJ's value will increase higher than Best by the end of the season. Kevin Smith is coming back and don't fool yourself thinking he is not going to spell Best to take the load off of him. I think the Lions will realize that Best can't physically handle the load as they thought he would. IMO, CJ Spiller could put up the other CJ's numbers if Buffalo fix their offensive line.

I never said Spiller for Best was a high sell. I said he is a better back and I traded Best before week 2. I'm in a keeper league and I think CJ's value will increase higher than Best by the end of the season. Kevin Smith is coming back and don't fool yourself thinking he is not going to spell Best to take the load off of him. I think the Lions will realize that Best can't physically handle the load as they thought he would. IMO, CJ Spiller could put up the other CJ's numbers if Buffalo fix their offensive line.

I thought you were being serious until I saw this.

First of all, CJ Spiller is less talented than Best. In fact, I can name 15 backs right now more talented than Spiller.

ADP, CJ, MJD, Ray Rice, Gore, Best, Michael Turner, Marshawn Lynch, Ladanian Tomlinson, Shonn Greene, Jamaal Charles, Deangelo Williams, Jonathan Stewart, Steven Jackson, Beanie Wells.

I bolded the ones you may not agree with. Spiller is not only not the best RB in his draft class, he isn't even the best on his own team. Is he a great talent? Yes. But not necessarily as a RB. CJ is a great returner, but does not run well inside. I have not seen his pass protection skills, but would imagine they are sub-par to average. This guy is not Chris Johnson or Jamaal Charles; he is Leon Washington or Reggie Bush. He will probably have a decent career, and see his long-term (2 or 3 years) ceiling as something like Felix Jones right now.

And FWIW, I just traded Best in my main league.

http://draftboardinsider.com/cgi-bin/prospect.cgi?id=526

Edit: you said Best has Kevin Smith to 'spell' him. I personally think that is a great thing for Best. But to use that against Best when Spiller has Lynch and Jackson in the backfield does not make sense to me.

Edited by bluesrams2

thats more like it

I don't care who you are, that's funny right there... :cheers:

I thought you were being serious until I saw this.

First of all, CJ Spiller is less talented than Best. In fact, I can name 15 backs right now more talented than Spiller.

ADP, CJ, MJD, Ray Rice, Gore, Best, Michael Turner, Marshawn Lynch, Ladanian Tomlinson, Shonn Greene, Jamaal Charles, Deangelo Williams, Jonathan Stewart, Steven Jackson, Beanie Wells.

I bolded the ones you may not agree with. Spiller is not only not the best RB in his draft class, he isn't even the best on his own team. Is he a great talent? Yes. But not necessarily as a RB. CJ is a great returner, but does not run well inside. I have not seen his pass protection skills, but would imagine they are sub-par to average. This guy is not Chris Johnson or Jamaal Charles; he is Leon Washington or Reggie Bush. He will probably have a decent career, and see his long-term (2 or 3 years) ceiling as something like Felix Jones right now.

And FWIW, I just traded Best in my main league.

http://draftboardinsider.com/cgi-bin/prospect.cgi?id=526

Edit: you said Best has Kevin Smith to 'spell' him. I personally think that is a great thing for Best. But to use that against Best when Spiller has Lynch and Jackson in the backfield does not make sense to me.

The bold and some of the others too. Dude for real? LaDanian? Spiller has the same speed and power as Chris Johnson. Right now he is out running his O-Line and not letting the blocks develop. Once he understands that, the running in between the tackles will be solved. In college it wasn't a problem and the highlights proves that. If Lynch or Jackson was the answer then the Bills wouldn't have wasted the #9 overall pick in the draft to get a unnecessary player. They could have drafted a QB or O-lineman instead of the 1st RB of the draft. Who the hell is was better than Spiller at RB in the class of 2010? Please tell me. BTW, you might wanna look at his college highlights and please post that "better" running back video so we can compare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFcecMcS6bA&feature=related

The bold and some of the others too. Dude for real? LaDanian? Spiller has the same speed and power as Chris Johnson. Right now he is out running his O-Line and not letting the blocks develop. Once he understands that, the running in between the tackles will be solved. If Lynch or Jackson was the answer then the Bills wouldn't have wasted the #9 overall pick in the draft to get a unnecessary player. They could have drafted a QB or O-lineman instead of the 1st RB of the draft. Who the hell is was better than Spiller at RB in the class of 2010? Please tell me. BTW, you might wanna look at his college highlights and please post that "better" running back video so we can compare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFcecMcS6bA&feature=related

I disagree with the bolded. CJ Spiller's official time at the combine was 4.38; Johnson's was 4.24. For a comparison, that is the difference between Spiller and Hardesty. Also, Best ran a 4.35. Spiller's power (or lack of) is not even close to Chris Johnson. Watch the two backs run.

College highlights are not always the best way to evaluate players. The college game is much different than the NFL game; just ask Ryan Leaf or Reggie Bush.

I think Jahvid Best is better than Spiller. Not by a large margin, but better.

Marshawn Lynch is not wanted in Buffalo and does not want to be there himself, but he is a great back that is still young and it wasn't too long ago that he was a Pro Bowler.

I might have been stretching it a bit saying LT is better than Spiller, but the point is that CJ is just not a complete NFL running back right now. As I said earlier, I see him in a Felix Jones role in a few years and will be surprised if he is ever a feature back.

I disagree with the bolded. CJ Spiller's official time at the combine was 4.38; Johnson's was 4.24. For a comparison, that is the difference between Spiller and Hardesty. Also, Best ran a 4.35. Spiller's power (or lack of) is not even close to Chris Johnson. Watch the two backs run.

College highlights are not always the best way to evaluate players. The college game is much different than the NFL game; just ask Ryan Leaf or Reggie Bush.

I think Jahvid Best is better than Spiller. Not by a large margin, but better.

Marshawn Lynch is not wanted in Buffalo and does not want to be there himself, but he is a great back that is still young and it wasn't too long ago that he was a Pro Bowler.

I might have been stretching it a bit saying LT is better than Spiller, but the point is that CJ is just not a complete NFL running back right now. As I said earlier, I see him in a Felix Jones role in a few years and will be surprised if he is ever a feature back.

How else do NFL scouts evaluate talent of college players other than attending the game themselves? Bottom line is the NFL thought Spiller was a better back than Best otherwise Best wouldn't have gone late in the 1st round. The Lions traded up to get him so he really would have been a 2nd round pick. All of the NFL scouts and analysis said CJ Spiller was the best back in the class of 2010? On what basis are you claiming differ? :dunno:

How else do NFL scouts evaluate talent of college players other than attending the game themselves? Bottom line is the NFL thought Spiller was a better back than Best otherwise Best wouldn't have gone late in the 1st round. The Lions traded up to get him so he really would have been a 2nd round pick. All of the NFL scouts and analysis said CJ Spiller was the best back in the class of 2010? On what basis are you claiming differ? :dunno:

Just my personal opinion after watching both backs. Not saying I'm more qualified than an NFL scout to evaluate talent. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here. Honestly I hope Spiller has a long career, he's fun to watch. Good luck this season :cheers:

Just my personal opinion after watching both backs. Not saying I'm more qualified than an NFL scout to evaluate talent. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here. Honestly I hope Spiller has a long career, he's fun to watch. Good luck this season :cheers:

Well said. :thumbsup:

injury history comes into play which isn't indicative of skill.

Spiller has the same speed and power as Chris Johnson.

The same speed as Chris Johnson? 4.38 does not equal 4.24, it's not even in the same ballpark.

How else do NFL scouts evaluate talent of college players other than attending the game themselves?

You showed us a highlight tape and said it proved he can play in the NFL. The last thing a scout looks at to evaluate a player is their highlight tape. Everyone looks amazing in those.

All of the NFL scouts and analysis said CJ Spiller was the best back in the class of 2010?

Yes, and they all thought Chris Johnson was a reach at pick 23. So, by your logic, we all can know with certainty that McFadden, JStew, Mendy and Felix Jones are all better than Chris Johnson. Right?

The Lions traded up to get him so he really would have been a 2nd round pick.

No. See, the way it works is that you trade up to get a player you really like that would be gone before you got to pick him. You don't waste picks to trade up to grab a guy you know will be there when you pick again. He wouldn't have been a 2nd round pick if the Lions hadn't traded up (at least, most likely), he would just be playing for a different team.

The more fanfootballtn posts, the more I realize we are arguing for a lost cause. This guy obviously has a hard on for Spiller, and thinks he will be a better RB than Chris Johnson shortly in the future.

The same speed as Chris Johnson? 4.38 does not equal 4.24, it's not even in the same ballpark.

You showed us a highlight tape and said it proved he can play in the NFL. The last thing a scout looks at to evaluate a player is their highlight tape. Everyone looks amazing in those.

Yes, and they all thought Chris Johnson was a reach at pick 23. So, by your logic, we all can know with certainty that McFadden, JStew, Mendy and Felix Jones are all better than Chris Johnson. Right?

No. See, the way it works is that you trade up to get a player you really like that would be gone before you got to pick him. You don't waste picks to trade up to grab a guy you know will be there when you pick again. He wouldn't have been a 2nd round pick if the Lions hadn't traded up (at least, most likely), he would just be playing for a different team.

Do I have a stalker? :unsure:

The more fanfootballtn posts, the more I realize we are arguing for a lost cause. This guy obviously has a hard on for Spiller, and thinks he will be a better RB than Chris Johnson shortly in the future.

No. Jahvid Best just doesnt make me stiff even when I'm on viagra.

So you're saying you can't counter anything I said...

That was a polite way of saying...dude you are making no sense. I felt like you wanted a response so here you go.