Sign in to follow this  
touchdowntwitaker

GB Running Back JAMES STARKS

GB has to be stubborn to think they might have the answer when this guy comes off the injured list. He was really good in Buffalo as I used to bet with them all the time in college.

To me it looks like GB is buying their time for his return when they did not push the Marshawn Lynch envelope or contact any other teams for their RBs..

When is he supposed to be back week 6? Do any homers have insight into this guy?

Thanks

Players on the PUP list have to sit out until week 7. However, he's healthy now and practicing.

And I agree, he's a great roster stash. GB's unwillingness to go out and get a RB, or sign a veteran may be a vote of confidence on Starks. If you're speculating, I think Starks is a great roster stash. I wanted to wait until next week, but someone's already scooped him up in one of my leagues, so I suppose its time to pull the trigger.

Just picked him and and dropped John Kuhn. I like Kuhn but he will never get enough carries to be startable. I will take the upside of Starks as my #4 RB.

GB has to be stubborn to think they might have the answer when this guy comes off the injured list. He was really good in Buffalo as I used to bet with them all the time in college.

To me it looks like GB is buying their time for his return when they did not push the Marshawn Lynch envelope or contact any other teams for their RBs..

When is he supposed to be back week 6? Do any homers have insight into this guy?

Thanks

They offered a 4th for Lynch. Buffalo said no and took Seattle's offer.

Yes, they should have offered a 3rd IMO.

Starks...he has not played football since 2008. Coaches loved him in minicamp...but that means little.

I just don't see how a guy who has not played football in that long and never in the NFL can come in and be ready to contribute and be expected to help protect Rodgers.

That said, stranger things have happened in this league and if you have deep benches and room to stash him, worth a shot. (watch out for if Nance starts getting carries though, remember it took a while before Grant saw any significant time).

Players on the PUP list have to sit out until week 7. However, he's healthy now and practicing.

And I agree, he's a great roster stash. GB's unwillingness to go out and get a RB, or sign a veteran may be a vote of confidence on Starks. If you're speculating, I think Starks is a great roster stash. I wanted to wait until next week, but someone's already scooped him up in one of my leagues, so I suppose its time to pull the trigger.

I don't believe he can practice with them yet. He can work out at the facility and on the side, but I don't believe PUP players can practice with the team.

I just dropped Forsett for

You have to think that his value rises everyday the Packers sit on their arses and don't make a move as Jackson clearly isn't the answer for Green Bay's RB woes. I'm not saying Starks is either, but he's definitely worth a stash.

I am also interested in Blount and already stashed a certain Ryan Torain two weeks ago.

Im def. going on just speculation.

But then again we all specualted Moore would do well with Bush out, the law firm just had to wait his turn in NE, and Collie would be great with Garcon out. There really arent sleepers anymore so speculation is the only way we get a leg up.

I agree with you guys again. The staff has to be waiting for something and I dont think its Nance because we was a waiver claim... Why cant starks come out of nowhere jsut like Grant 3 years ago.

I dont think hes gonna be great, but he could be good trade bait down road if he puts something together to improve at another position.

This is def. the week to grab him as the interenet and MR. Rototard will start announcing to ge this guy next week.

Im def. going on just speculation.

But then again we all specualted Moore would do well with Bush out, the law firm just had to wait his turn in NE, and Collie would be great with Garcon out. There really arent sleepers anymore so speculation is the only way we get a leg up.

I agree with you guys again. The staff has to be waiting for something and I dont think its Nance because we was a waiver claim... Why cant starks come out of nowhere jsut like Grant 3 years ago.

I dont think hes gonna be great, but he could be good trade bait down road if he puts something together to improve at another position.

This is def. the week to grab him as the interenet and MR. Rototard will start announcing to ge this guy next week.

Grant was around and practicing for weeks. Starks won't be.

Grant might as well have been a waiver pick...he was deep on the Giants depth chart and they gave up a 6th.

Nance has more in comparison to Grant as far as situation as he has been around practicing for a few weeks now.

No clue what will become of the GB running game in the near future. Ted Thompson and McCarthy do some strange things.

I am a Green Bay fan and a Buffalo homer. So I was excited to see Starks get drafted by GB.

What I can say is he is a good player/talent. He will catch the ball on 3rd downs better than their backup TEs. He is straight line fast (4.5, 40) At 6'2 215 he is a big guy, but more lanky. Not sure if he could be used for 15+ carries at this point, especially coming of injury. I don't see upside this year in fantasy. In a Dynasty league I do see value.

I do see the Packers working on their running game. They change stuff each year and it has dead spots and bright spots during the year. Come week 9, 10, 11 I think they will have some sort of commitment to the running game and it will be improved by then. It will most likely be a committee with another RB stepping in for Kuhn, ad Kuhn getting short yardage carries.

I believe running backs have the shortest learning curve of any position, so I'm not buying the above comment.

I picked up James Starks and sent Leon Washington packing since I have Brandon Jackson trying to fight for my RB2 spot with Felix Jones and Ricky Williams as they all disappoint me. Hopefully Starks can become the valuable RB on the best offense in the league.

http://www.fftoolbox...rospect_id=2214

He also put up good numbers across the board at the NFL combine. He wasn't at the top, but he was right there with some highly valued RBs.

http://www.nfl.com/c.../top-performers

I believe running backs have the shortest learning curve of any position, so I'm not buying the above comment.

You are correct that RBs have the shortest learning curve, but that doesn't make that comment any less valid.

Starks didn't play at a major college (lengthens learning curve)

Starks didn't play ANY football at all last year b/c of injury (lengthens learning curve)

Starks hasn't been able to do any practicing with the Packers (lengthens learning curve)

One of his biggest weaknesses (according to draft reports) was his pass blocking. He ain't gonna get a lot of playing time if he can't protect Rodgers. (lengthens learning curve).

Starks is a LONG SHOT to do much with the Packers this year. Dropping Leon Washington for him isn't a bad idea, because the risk might playoff, but dropping weaker RBs who are in RBBC (the TB situation, for example), a handcuff for your #1 or #2, etc is a mistake, IMO.

If he comes off the PUP and is able to play in week 7, he will face a brutal schedule:

Week 7 Minnesota

Week 8 New York Jets

Week 9 Dallas

Week 10 Bye

Week 11 Minnesota

For a guy who hasn't played in 2 years, I'll take my chances elsewhere. I'd like to stash him too, but I just think it'll be too much to overcome.

If he comes off the PUP and is able to play in week 7, he will face a brutal schedule:

Week 7 Minnesota

Week 8 New York Jets

Week 9 Dallas

Week 10 Bye

Week 11 Minnesota

For a guy who hasn't played in 2 years, I'll take my chances elsewhere. I'd like to stash him too, but I just think it'll be too much to overcome.

EXCELLENT POINT!!!!

Apparently, he's a savior. How about James "Jesus" Starks. I think Thompson realizes his team is not ready to compete for the title this season. Why else would they be happy to go with what they have.

Apparently, he's a savior. How about James "Jesus" Starks. I think Thompson realizes his team is not ready to compete for the title this season. Why else would they be happy to go with what they have.

BEcause he drafted them

Week 7 Minnesota

Week 8 New York Jets

Week 9 Dallas

Week 10 Bye

Week 11 Minnesota

Wow, I picked him up as a Lottery Ticket / Roster Stash this week. Maybe, I will try to dump him off on the Brandon Jackson owner for something.

For those still following Starks, there were some interesting tidbits in this article:

http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/green-bay-packers-daily-links-matthews-to-return-sunday

If you look at the last posted comment, the writer of the article suggests Nance will be moved to the practice squad, Starks will take his place and work mostly special teams, and perhaps take a larger role of the carries around week 11.

It was just speculation, but interesting nonetheless.

For those still following Starks, there were some interesting tidbits in this article:

http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/green-bay-packers-daily-links-matthews-to-return-sunday

If you look at the last posted comment, the writer of the article suggests Nance will be moved to the practice squad, Starks will take his place and work mostly special teams, and perhaps take a larger role of the carries around week 11.

It was just speculation, but interesting nonetheless.

The guy does make a good point. I follow Matt Williamson and he's not a believer that Starks can become the guy this year. But why would they activate him off the PUP list if he wasn't going to be active? Moving him to the practice squad does open him up to other teams and they wouldn't do that. Sounds like he will be active and get his shot. Might be week 10 might be week 15. Which means he may or may not be fantasy relevant. Sounds like the perfect lotto ticket in deep leagues.

This doesn't sound too promising for those stashing away Starks:

Rookie running back James Starks, the third player to begin practicing Wednesday after spending the first six weeks on PUP with a hamstring injury, is unlikely to be activated to the 53-man roster anytime soon, if at all. Starks did only individual drill work Wednesday, and while that started the clock on the three-week practice window, the Packers don’t figure to be in a rush to make a decision on him. At the end of the three weeks, the team must put him on the roster, put him on season-ending injured reserve, or release him. If he clears waivers, he could return to the practice squad.

There's more in the article.

Link: http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/includes/news_items/40/news_items_more.php?id=4593&section_id=40