Sign in to follow this  
aggiewildlife

Quarless

With Finley now essentially out for the season and Lee injured for a while, what value do you give to Quarless? How do you rank him relative to other TE's? Some have said Quarless is similar to Finley and the Pack may try to use him in a similar role as Finley. If true, of course we shouldn't expect Quarless to perform at the same level as Finley, but should we expect him to perform better than some other known quantities at the TE position? And considering that Lee does rank higher than Quarless on the depth charts, should we be cautious with expecting much from Quarless for the season since he may get dumped when Lee returns?

Just curious, I'm not sure what to think about the situation (as an owner of Rodgers, Jennings, and Finley). :dunno:

Homer here and I gotta say it is an unknown. First of all, he would have to play well off the bat. He did make a catch or two last week. Then there is the possibility of Lee coming back soon and and taking away reps because he is a vet. Tough to know.

If you are a Finley owner or just have an opinion, who are you targeting?

Target Rec. Yrds TD

Brandon Pettigrew with Detroit - 35 26 275 1

Tony Moeaki with KC - 23 16 173 2 (has only played 4 games)

Andrew Quarless with GB - 7 4 51 0 (has played part of 1 game)

Packer fan. Because Lee is out too, Quarless will see a lot of snaps. I would expect 4-8 targets a game. He is almost as athletic as Finley. I'd rank him rounding out the bottom of the top 10 around guys like Brandon Pettigrew and Jeremy Shockey with upside. I own Finley and I picked up Pettigrew because I really wanted reliability and he gets lots of targets. If I was in a position to take a higher risk/reward player Quarless would have been a great option. But right now on my roster I'm dying for some consistency (I make like 5 add/drops every week, although 2 are defense/kicker).

Packer fan. Because Lee is out too, Quarless will see a lot of snaps. I would expect 4-8 targets a game. He is almost as athletic as Finley. I'd rank him rounding out the bottom of the top 10 around guys like Brandon Pettigrew and Jeremy Shockey with upside. I own Finley and I picked up Pettigrew because I really wanted reliability and he gets lots of targets. If I was in a position to take a higher risk/reward player Quarless would have been a great option. But right now on my roster I'm dying for some consistency (I make like 5 add/drops every week, although 2 are defense/kicker).

I grabbed Pettigrew and Quarless too. The thing about Quarless is that if he was nearly as good as Finley, wouldn't he have been bumped up above Lee by now? I'm just trying to think long term and don't want to carry two TEs unless I can help it.

My plan is to roll with Pettigrew this week, getting another week's look at Quarless and then roll with him if he's serviceable while Pettigrew is on bye. After that, Lee might be back and Quarless owners will have to reevaluate depending upon the new depth charts for Green Bay.

I think it's a little early to pick up Quarless, especially with a fairly deep TE group. However, I will say this for him: Rodgers was not afraid to throw to him last week. I was surprised at how many targets Quarless got, under the circumstances, including a key red-zone situation, if memory serves right.

Of course, Rodgers may not start his week, but that's another matter.

Guys: Packers' homer here, with quite a bit of inside knowledge. Packers are extremely high on Quarless' potential - he's a Finley clone, and Rodgers has a lot of confidence in him/his ability to get to the spot he's supposed to be to receive the pass. I think he will exceed expectations this year - partly because I think teams will attempt to cover him with a LB - which will prove to be impossible (far beyond when he would have impacted fantasy stats).

I rate him slightly behind Marcedes Lewis, but ahead of players like Heath Miller and Pettigrew.

I grabbed Pettigrew and Quarless too. The thing about Quarless is that if he was nearly as good as Finley, wouldn't he have been bumped up above Lee by now? I'm just trying to think long term and don't want to carry two TEs unless I can help it.

My plan is to roll with Pettigrew this week, getting another week's look at Quarless and then roll with him if he's serviceable while Pettigrew is on bye. After that, Lee might be back and Quarless owners will have to reevaluate depending upon the new depth charts for Green Bay.

exactly what i'm doing too. Did take a long look at m.lewis and h.miller and decided to go with the guys who get more targets/yards and thus will likely be more consistent.

Would he have been bumped above Lee?

Maybe, maybe not.

He is not nearly as good as Finley...but he may be nearly as athletic. Still has a lot to learn.

And Lee is more of a blocker and knows all the reads/options/routes much better than Quarless being a rookie knows.

Rodgers did seem to target him some last week and he could have a nice week or two here and there.

I expect though we see more 3-4 WR sets and they use their depth at WR moreso than the TE spot.

The Green Bay Offense was set up with Finley in mind. Now he is not as good as finley but he is a good pass catcher and athlethic like Finley so maybe they leave there offense as is and use Quarless in the Finley role. He will not get finley numbers BUT he could get better then average TE numbers and better numbers then say a Heath Miller etc. He did a good job last week in short notice and put up more fantasy points in a half then alot of TE's in a whole game. And that is because this offense runs throught the TE. But my biggest concern is when Lee returns in 2 weeks. Lee is the starter probally and they will share time unless Quarless has 2 huge games and then they cant get him off the field. Big chance this week with Miami who I read is brutal against the TE position.

I went ahead and added him since I have a free roster spot. At least I can monitor what happens without seeing him blow up on someone else's team.

Target Rec. Yrds TD

Those are 2 good names too. But Owen Daniels is probably on your waiver wire also and he is just now getting healthy. Schuab and Houston's passing offense has been freaking awful and Daniels being hurt and non factor probably have something to do with that. But bad news is Houston's bye is week 7.

Another big name that should be on your waiver wire is Heath Miller. With out looking it up i think he only has about 10 pts in first 4 games but Big Ben is back and looks to him especially in the red zone. Their bye week is already passed which is nice as well.

Would he have been bumped above Lee?

Maybe, maybe not.

He is not nearly as good as Finley...but he may be nearly as athletic. Still has a lot to learn.

And Lee is more of a blocker and knows all the reads/options/routes much better than Quarless being a rookie knows.

Right. Lee has been around a long time and not done a whole lot, but he's probably the best blocker of the three. Quarless added nothing that Finley didn't already provide, so there was no reason for him to see the field - he was just a rookie learning the ropes.

I liken it to the WAS RB situation. Torain was on the practice squad, but when Portis went down, Torain was elevated to starter and KWilliams was waived. Williams had been ahead of Torain b/c he added something to the offense beyond what Portis did.

Quarless is now likely to step into Finley's role. Lee will probably get more looks than he had been getting, but since GB doesn't run the ball much, I don't expect his role to increase dramatically. Lee just isn't the receiver the Packers need to complete their offense.

I'm also looking into getting Owen Daniels. I had Finley and Boss to start the season, when Boss went down, I fortunately added A Hernandez. With Finley out, I added Boss again, but somebody just dropped Owen Daniels and I put in a waiver request on him. But I'll monitor the game this weekend and if Quarless shows sparks, I may replace Daniels with him. We shall see.

Target Rec. Yrds TD

I'm in a 12 man league that requires we carry 2 te's,so our ww is a bit thin,I also play in a cutthroat league meaning the ww is open at all times so as soon as the Finley injury took place another owner grabbed Lee within minutes.I hope I can say I was fortunate enough before long for waiting because I ended up adding Quarless.