Sign in to follow this  
madd futher mucker

V-E-R-Y early rookie RB take

mfm, what's your take on this years rookie RB crop coming out? I haven't done much homework, however, I can say firsthand that OSU WR Justin Blackmon is beast and is much better than Dez Bryant was at the same point in his college career.

From my RB veteran dynasty post and in reply to jgcrawfish:

You are a jump ahead of me, craw...I haven't looked at much of anything yet - still completing my first pass at the veteran dynasty rankings for WR and TE. but here's an early sneak preview of some rookie RBs that I think will be given a long look:

Top of the board - I'll be surprised if these two aren't the top two RB prospects this year:

Mark Ingram, Alabama

Mikel LeShoure, Illinois

Next tier:

Dion Lewis, Pittsburgh

JacQuizz Rodgers, Oregon State

Daniel Thomas, Kansas State

Ryan Williams, Virginia Tech

Some others who might be a cut or more below:

Anthony Allen, Georgia Tech

Allen Bradford, USC

Delone Carter, Syracuse

John Clay, Wisconsin

Noel Devine, West Virginia

Jay Finley, Baylor

Kendall Hunter, Oklahoma State

DeMarco Murray, Oklahoma

Adam Robinson, ex-Iowa

Chad Spann, Northern Illinois

Shane Vereen, California

I'll be studying rookies starting February, and I'm sure that more RBs will pop into the picture during the all-star weeks - Shrine Game, Senior Bowl and TX v Nation - that are right around the corner! Feel free to add prospects to this list for me to look at a bit.

While I think that Ingram and LeShoure are close, and it is very early in any kind of an evaluation process, I believe that WRs AJ Green of Georgia, and Julio Jones of Alabama are the cream of this year's skill positions who have declared for the draft.

At least 5 who would have been real top prospects have indicated they are staying in school rather than declaring for the draft. Unless he changes his mind, that list includes WR Justin Blackmon.

uber weak RB class

Ingram is the only stud coming out and he even has ???'s then again I thought the CJIII, Forte , etc. draft was weak until it played out.

uber weak RB class

Ingram is the only stud coming out and he even has ???'s then again I thought the CJIII, Forte , etc. draft was weak until it played out.

Agree......sadly...... <_<

Agree......sadly...... <_<

I agree as well....

But its clear that RB talent is everywhere and easy to find I could see alot of guys coming out of nowhere after the draft and making a name for themselves.

Keep your eye on Mikel LeShoure from Illinois. As a UW grad, I follow the Big 10 closer than any other conference. Many Illini believe that he will be better than Mendenhall. He is very under-rated, will probably be drafted in rounds 2 or round 3. I believe that he is closer to Ingram in talent than people think right now. I did watch most of his YouTube videos and for a 6'0 or 6'1" 230 lb back, he has amazing speed and agility.

I also agree that as in every RB class, there will be some lower ranked guys who will 'step up' and become very productive pros. Keep in mind that Arian Foster was not even drafted.

I think that when all is said and done this will probably shake out to be a pretty typical RB draft class.

RB prospects are tricky because it has EVERYTHING to do with the situation the RB finds himself in.

That's why there's so many late-round/undrafted guys who succeed at the position in the NFL. The RB might not have had incredible numbers in college and might not have lit up the combine, but sometimes RBs who excel at reading blocks and utilizing their situation in the NFL are not identified by the pre-draft process.

College running games and NFL running games are like night and day. Hard to predict who the top RB prospects for thee 2011 class with be.

Ingram is a beast. If he stays healthy, he is a sure thing. In the past 5 years, the only RB that was safer was Peterson IMO. Ingram doesn't have Peterson's top end, but I can't see him not being very good.

There is a giant drop off after that. Thin class.

RB prospects are tricky because it has EVERYTHING to do with the situation the RB finds himself in.

That's why there's so many late-round/undrafted guys who succeed at the position in the NFL. The RB might not have had incredible numbers in college and might not have lit up the combine, but sometimes RBs who excel at reading blocks and utilizing their situation in the NFL are not identified by the pre-draft process.

College running games and NFL running games are like night and day. Hard to predict who the top RB prospects for thee 2011 class with be.

:thumbsup: Agreed.

Too many people look at either speed and elusiveness and/or sheer power as primary criteria when evaluating college prospects. It has become more and more apparent that blitz pick-up & pass blocking, as well as the patience to use their blockers effectively will often determine when or if the RB will get early PT in the NFL.

If they can't block, they usually won't get on the field. And if they don't develop the patience to see the lane or let a crease develop - or if they continue to try to break everything outside - runners with far less talent will often be more effective.

:thumbsup: Agreed.

Too many people look at either speed and elusiveness and/or sheer power as primary criteria when evaluating college prospects. It has become more and more apparent that blitz pick-up & pass blocking, as well as the patience to use their blockers effectively will often determine when or if the RB will get early PT in the NFL.

If they can't block, they usually won't get on the field. And if they don't develop the patience to see the lane or let a crease develop - or if they continue to try to break everything outside - runners with far less talent will often be more effective.

Those two lines should be required reading before anyone posts about a young RB.

I think Demarco Murray/Oklahoma could be a nice pickup in this draft. Runs, catches effectively, and has shown the willingness to block. May not initially be seen as every down guy, but I see a lot of Marcus Allen in his game.

Keep your eye on Mikel LeShoure from Illinois. As a UW grad, I follow the Big 10 closer than any other conference. Many Illini believe that he will be better than Mendenhall. He is very under-rated, will probably be drafted in rounds 2 or round 3. I believe that he is closer to Ingram in talent than people think right now. I did watch most of his YouTube videos and for a 6'0 or 6'1" 230 lb back, he has amazing speed and agility.

I also agree that as in every RB class, there will be some lower ranked guys who will 'step up' and become very productive pros. Keep in mind that Arian Foster was not even drafted.

I think that when all is said and done this will probably shake out to be a pretty typical RB draft class.

The kid obviously made a wise choice coming out early. Liek you said, weak RB class so he heads right to the top of the class. I've heard others state he could be better than Mendy....a guy who some draft experts thought was the best RB to come out in years, and a better option than McFadden in 2008. Depending on where LeShoure goes, and how early he goes, and if he gets a starting job, the guy could become a hot topic for drafts next September.

Weak RB class. Mark Ingram is good, but number 1 by default. Ryan Williams is the most talented RB in the class. He battled injuries and had a down year, but he was amazing last year. Not as well-built as Ingram and Mikel LeShoure, so we'll see if he can bulk up and take the pounding w/o losing his quicks. LeShoure, just like Mendenhall, was waiting for his opportunity and blew up when he got it. He's not as fast as Mendenhall, so he might not have as much upside, but he's better between the tackles. Those are the top three.

I'd probably put Demarco Murray next. He is the definition of injury-prone, but it's impressive how he has transformed from speed and quickness guy through the injuries into a solid pounder. Doubt he can hold up as a feature back.

Daniel Thomas is a converted QB and runs like one. Still learning, but not a burner and I don't know if he'll take the punishment at the next level if he doesn't evolve. Interesting sleeper, but not top tier.

I like John Clay. Clay isn't long for the league, but is a Brandon Jacobs type who could have a couple big years. Not as fast as Jacobs.

Bilal Powell and Roy Helu have been moving up, interested to see their workout numbers. Shane Verneen is a typical Cal RB who be a back-up, spot starter.

Haven't seen a lot of Jay Finley or Anthony Allen, they get mixed reviews.

Noel Devine, Dion Lewis and JacQuizz Rodgers, great college players, but too small, Darren Sproles types and becoming a player like him is their ceiling. Lewis has a bit more bulk potential, maybe he could be a poor man's Ray Rice if I'm underestimating him. Kendall Hunter is decent, maybe a bit more upside, but I think that OK ST O was underestimated. I like Delone Carter best of the smaller backs in this class. He has some bulk and delivers the blow to finish the run. He's a really nice sleeper in this class.

Here are some highlight vids...Damn I had all your tier 1 and 2 highlights, but too many videos for this post. Here are my favorite three guys from tier 1, 2, and Demarco Murray who IMO made all the runners above look like little kids, compared to him. Ok Ingram is solid also.

Mark Ingram - just a flat out powerful runner, has some great jukes, gets the tough yard, hard to take down, does not have the blazing speed

Ryan Williams - I like this kid - great vision, I like his size (not to tall not to small), seems to run with a chip on his shoulder, puts his shoulder down

and one of my favorites...DeMarco Murray - This boy should be the #1 or #2 rb on the big board this year! He is freakin amazing. Just watch the video - CRAZY

He has freakish speed, breaks tackles, great moves, no telling what is verticle is - - I LOVE YOU MAN - - I think he broke Billy Simms' records at OU. He is the only one of these video highlights that absolutely wows me. WOW :wub:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBFs5HZwyng

I think people are starting to over analyze Ingram. The guys the best RB prospect since All Day.

The last several years, we've had to debate who was the best. Alot of times, we've had to use the draft status/situation as a tie breaker because the clear cut #1/talent wasn't there.

Take Ingram #1, nomatter what team he goes to. And have yourself a 10 year starter.

Don't try to out think yourselves this year.

Hey MFM.

I think you and Tusekan have the best Dynasty analysis here at FFtoday.

Can you give me your eyeball test on a couple of recievers I can draft later in a rookie draft?

I was looking at 2 sleepers. Greg Salas and Greg Little.

I like both guys, and neither seem to be names mentioned when talking about this years WR class.

Hey MFM.

I think you and Tusekan have the best Dynasty analysis here at FFtoday.

Can you give me your eyeball test on a couple of recievers I can draft later in a rookie draft?

I was looking at 2 sleepers. Greg Salas and Greg Little.

I like both guys, and neither seem to be names mentioned when talking about this years WR class.

Other than stats, and the fact that Hawaii had an extremely pass-happy offense, I have no opinion on Greg Salas. I have not seen any of him in action as of yet. His huge season and his great Hawaii Bowl performance - 13-214-2, suggests that he's a pretty talented kid. I'll be interested in how he does against Senior Bowl caliber competition.

Little's college game is somewhat like two former Tar Heels - Brooks Foster and Hakeem Nicks. He is a strong, physical kid (6' 3" and about 220) with good hands who can get yards after catch. But again, I've watched only one college game of NC, and I haven't looked at any of his highlights. He is on my radar - probably in the 6-12 WR range at this point, but he could move up before draft day with a nice combine.

I'm still spending some time getting my RB impressions organized, so I haven't really 'got acquainted' with a WR ranking.

Obviously you are more familiar with these two than I am. What is your take on them?

Ingram might be a stud when all finished. an Rodgers might end up a nice Sproles type back with more power other than that I would trade any dynasty pick other than 1.1. Folks in Dynasty fall in love with high first round picks so take advantage. If I had the 1.2 pick I trade this now before the draft and get a solid RB that is a starter if you got 1.1 then at least wait till the NFL draft as maybe Ingram lands in a great place to play.