Sign in to follow this  
Vikings4ever

Oh, those Lions!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/02/lions-blunder-prompted-draft-visit-disclosures/

As we mentioned earlier tonight, the Lions decided to disclose on their website the names of the rookies whom the team will be hosting to the 2011 draft. As coach Jim Schwartz recently said, “The fact is, everybody in the league knows. So if everybody in the league knows, it really doesn’t matter. And if it’s interesting for the fans . . . then I’m all for it.”

When Schwartz said “everybody in the league knows,” we assumed he was referring to the habit of agents to discreetly (or otherwise) get the word out as to where their clients will be going before the draft.

Instead, Schwartz was speaking literally.

Multiple sources have advised PFT that the Lions, intending to send a list of their pre-draft visits to the league as required by rule, sent the list to every team.

Let’s repeat that. The Lions were trying to send an e-mail to the league office with a list of pre-draft visits. And they instead sent the list to the entire league.

One source said that the same thing happened when quarterback Matthew Stafford was placed on injured reserve during the 2010 season, sending the e-mail to the entire league instead of to the league office.

In other words, this is the second time in less than four months that the Lions made the same mistake.

Why do we have a funny feeling that, in some way, this is Matt Millen’s fault?

:lol:

Not to bash the Lions, as they will prolly finish better then my Vikes, but this is focking funny :lol:

I don't think it makes one bit of difference to the 12 teams that pick before them, or effects the strategy with all the teams drafting from 14-32. Every team has multiple players on their draft board in a ranked order, and they will go by that. It's not like the #9 Cowboys are taking somebody b/c the #13 Lions will take them if not.

Now should be the news

#9 Cowboys

#13 Lions

:overhead:

The Lions discretely altered their board and then sent it out to mindfxck the other teams. They know what they are doing! What would ever make you think they didn't?

I don't think it makes one bit of difference to the 12 teams that pick before them, or effects the strategy with all the teams drafting from 14-32. Every team has multiple players on their draft board in a ranked order, and they will go by that. It's not like the #9 Cowboys are taking somebody b/c the #13 Lions will take them if not.

Now should be the news

#9 Cowboys

#13 Lions

:overhead:

You're half right. It doesn't really affect teams that draft in front of the Lions.

It DAMN sure affects teams that draft behind the Lions. If the Rams like Player A, and the Lions have (for all intents and purposes) announced they like Player A, that means the Rams can't sit and hope he falls to them. And, hell, it also gives the teams that draft ahead of the Lions more leverage. If the team ahead of the Lions (the Vikings) are getting an offer, it pretty much assures them that the team is looking at a player the Lions covet, and can pretty much hold that player hostage.

This goes extra for later rounds, when trading is more prevalent.

You're half right. It doesn't really affect teams that draft in front of the Lions.

It DAMN sure affects teams that draft behind the Lions. If the Rams like Player A, and the Lions have (for all intents and purposes) announced they like Player A, that means the Rams can't sit and hope he falls to them. And, hell, it also gives the teams that draft ahead of the Lions more leverage. If the team ahead of the Lions (the Vikings) are getting an offer, it pretty much assures them that the team is looking at a player the Lions covet, and can pretty much hold that player hostage.

This goes extra for later rounds, when trading is more prevalent.

I could see the teams picking after the Lions as being very interested I suppose. They could trade up if that one cherrished player is on thier board. Perhaps they've figured out that this is the Lions last cherrished player as well. So they trade, and move up to number 11 to swipe that fella. How an email to REPLY TO ALL TEAMS IN THE LEAGUE mistake has occured 2x's in one season is mind baffling. Sh!t - I wonder if this government has done this to the world leaders multiple times over the past 2 presidencies? No focking wonder we're in so much debt :wall:

The Lions discretely altered their board and then sent it out to mindfxck the other teams. They know what they are doing! What would ever make you think they didn't?

Matt Millen is no longer to blame. Are you telling us there are more in this organization making these types of blunders?

I honestly cant wrap my head around this being a "mistake" but at the same time I cant see it being done on purpose to mess with other teams.. Insane!! how do these guys get NFL jobs if they cant figure out how to send a e-mail??

"YOU HIT REPLY ALL!!!!!!"

:D

i don't think i really understand any of this or why this is a big deal.

why does anything they say or do have to be true?

you can all give me your e-mail addresses and i can e-mail you that im having a cheeseburger for lunch when im actually having tuna salad....

and the issue here is that they gave their list of pre draft visits to every team rather than just the NFL? Isn't it fairly obvious which teams visit with which players?

i don't think i really understand any of this or why this is a big deal.

why does anything they say or do have to be true?

you can all give me your e-mail addresses and i can e-mail you that im having a cheeseburger for lunch when im actually having tuna salad....

and the issue here is that they gave their list of pre draft visits to every team rather than just the NFL? Isn't it fairly obvious which teams visit with which players?

I think the issue for me is that it's reversed: A team emailed out it's entire list. What we usually see is a leak of a top player's visits. Example...Cam Newton is visiting these 8 teams. So basically, every team in the NFL now knows every last person the Lions are interested in..not just the top pics. You're right, some would have leaked out, but not all. But I disagree however that the list could be a smoke screen. That was the list disclosing all of the visits. No way they pay for a guy's visit just for a smoke screen.

I think the issue for me is that it's reversed: A team emailed out it's entire list. What we usually see is a leak of a top player's visits. Example...Cam Newton is visiting these 8 teams. So basically, every team in the NFL now knows every last person the Lions are interested in..not just the top pics. You're right, some would have leaked out, but not all. But I disagree however that the list could be a smoke screen. That was the list disclosing all of the visits. No way they pay for a guy's visit just for a smoke screen.

yeah but what if they were not real visits?

i guess no one is going to go to those lengths to smoke screen.

yeah but what if they were not real visits?

i guess no one is going to go to those lengths to smoke screen.

I'm betting there would be a punishment if they lied to the NFL.