Sign in to follow this  
PATSSOX

Keeper league question......

My buddy runs a 10 league keeper league. Each team has had the option to keep 2 people right now. I have agreed to join, after little added incentive :doublethumbsup: because i am not fan of scoring system, so he is trying to add 2 teams for a total of 12 teams.

Is there a way to add 2 teams in a keeper league that is fair for everyone? I dont see how you can do it. If you drop the keeper option to 1 that still is not very fair as the new teams will have one of top 2 picks and the other guys will be loaded again picking behind you. Its basically 2 expansion teams. Its not a cheap league either so im not too thrilled about that.

Anyone know of a good way to do this? Or no good way? :dunno:

:unsure: Sounds like a good way to fock up the league.

Thats what i was thinking too. Im gonna tell him not to do it.

Ya, sounds like an argument waiting to happen. We are going on 4 years with a 10 team 2 keeper league. I think it's a blast. You should just roll with it, it's fantasy football how bad can it be?

My buddy runs a 10 league keeper league. Each team has had the option to keep 2 people right now. I have agreed to join, after little added incentive :doublethumbsup: because i am not fan of scoring system, so he is trying to add 2 teams for a total of 12 teams.

Is there a way to add 2 teams in a keeper league that is fair for everyone? I dont see how you can do it. If you drop the keeper option to 1 that still is not very fair as the new teams will have one of top 2 picks and the other guys will be loaded again picking behind you. Its basically 2 expansion teams. Its not a cheap league either so im not too thrilled about that.

Anyone know of a good way to do this? Or no good way? :dunno:

Do you have to give up a draft spot for each keeper? Any draft spot or based on ADP? Off the cuff, I think you could use the option to trade away players to the expansion teams in exchange of their picks and it would help keep it fair-ish... only if the league accepts it, though.

If you give up draft spots for the keepers, then just let the new teams pick their draft order and go from there. If you guys want to be #1 and #2, you get it; if you want to go in the middle, you get that. You'll be at a small disadvantage this year, but that's okay. Your fantasy football skills will lead you to victory.

If it's totally unrestricted, maybe do a 2-team expansion round at the beginning of the draft, and then one at the end (or somewhere arbitrary, like between the 8th and 9th rounds)?

Or, outside the box; do a 1. Patsox; 2. Other guy; 2. Other guy; 1. Patsox thing to get you two extra players from the outset. A two-round expansion draft to make up for the keepers, but add a wrinkle of each existing team being able to "protect" some number of additional players on their roster--maybe 2? That way the new teams still get a shot at good players, but they can't just go Charles/Rice because some guy drafted both of them, but wanted to keep Vick and Foster instead.

Do you have to give up a draft spot for each keeper? Any draft spot or based on ADP? Off the cuff, I think you could use the option to trade away players to the expansion teams in exchange of their picks and it would help keep it fair-ish... only if the league accepts it, though.

yes that is the way they have been doing it. That sounds like a good idea.

They are having a meeting on Wednesday to discuss it i told him there is no reason for me to go. There are 4 teams that have 2 or 3 really good players that i cant see them agree to do much. If i was in there shoes i would not want to either.

yes that is the way they have been doing it. That sounds like a good idea.

They are having a meeting on Wednesday to discuss it i told him there is no reason for me to go. There are 4 teams that have 2 or 3 really good players that i cant see them agree to do much. If i was in there shoes i would not want to either.

Seems like it would be fair for the 2 expansion teams to pick the 2 keepers they want after the other 10 teams keep their guys (and then lose the same picks as the original owners would have). They obviously wouldn't have the best keepers, but probably not the worst either. I'm sure some guys have 3 really good options...

Seems like it would be fair for the 2 expansion teams to pick the 2 keepers they want after the other 10 teams keep their guys (and then lose the same picks as the original owners would have). They obviously wouldn't have the best keepers, but probably not the worst either. I'm sure some guys have 3 really good options...

Thats not a bad idea right there. They are voting on it tomorrow night. thanks

This is what I would do. In a 2 player keeper league, there should be some decent players being thrown back. For example, in my 2 player keeper league, one team has Foster, Rice, Calvin, and Brees. So Calvin and Brees would be available. One team has AP, Nicks, and Jennings so either Nicks or Jennings would be available. My team has McCoy, Fitzgerald, and Vick, so Vick will be available. The two new teams may not start out with the best keepers, but they wouldn't be at a huge disadvantage either.

This is what I would do. In a 2 player keeper league, there should be some decent players being thrown back. For example, in my 2 player keeper league, one team has Foster, Rice, Calvin, and Brees. So Calvin and Brees would be available. One team has AP, Nicks, and Jennings so either Nicks or Jennings would be available. My team has McCoy, Fitzgerald, and Vick, so Vick will be available. The two new teams may not start out with the best keepers, but they wouldn't be at a huge disadvantage either.

I suggested that keeper # be 1 instead of 2. I dont think some will go for it but it would make the player pool be alot more attractive.

There are 3 or 4 teams that would not let that pass and i dont blame them. Here are some of the potential keepers. Still cant figure out how the team with Charles, Rice, MJD and Calvin Johnson just went 9-8? Ill highlight guys id most likely keep if i was them. Yes there are some gay names.

team 1 (11-6)

QB Aaron Rodgers, GB QB

RB Ahmad Bradshaw, NYG RB

WR Reggie Wayne, Ind WR

Bench DeSean Jackson, Phi WR

team 2(9-8)

RB Arian Foster, Hou RB

Bench Frank Gore, SF RB

Bench Andre Johnson, Hou WR

Bench Knowshon Moreno, Den RB

team 3 (9-8)

RB Chris Johnson, Ten

WR Greg Jennings, GB

Bench Tom Brady, NE QB

Bench Peyton Hillis, Cle RB

team 4(8-9)

RB Adrian Peterson, Min RB

RB Matt Forte, Chi RB

RB Darren McFadden, Oak

Team 5(9-8)

QB Peyton Manning, Ind QB

RB Michael Turner, Atl

WR Miles Austin, Dal

WR Hakeem Nicks, NYG

team 6(8-9)

RB Steven Jackson, StL

RB LeSean McCoy, Phi

team 7(9-8)

RB Jamaal Charles, KC

RB Ray Rice, Bal

RB Maurice Jones-Drew, Jac

WR Calvin Johnson, Det

TEAM 8(8-9)

QB Drew Brees, NO

WR Larry Fitzgerald, Ari

TE Antonio Gates, SD TE

TEAM 9 (3-14)

Bench Michael Vick, Phi QB

team 10(11-6)

RB Rashard Mendenhall, Pit RB

RB/WR Roddy White, Atl WR

WR Dwayne Bowe, KC WR

I really only skimmed this thread, so excuse me if I missed something.

But here's what you do:

For the purposes of the expansion draft, each Keeper is worth a 1st, then second round pick, for the 10 existing teams.

If you already do it this way, fine. If the rounds you sacrifice for Keepers is different, too bad - you have to do it this way for the purposes of expansion - and to get the new teams in on ground level. If this causes someone to suck-hole out and go home, replace their sorry asses at the same time. This should not be a problem for a solid, well-designed money league. Then, in every other year going forward, you can go back to the alternate method of Keeper selection vs. loss of picks.

Next, map out the existing Keepers onto the Draft Board, and simultaneously factor in where the new guys will Draft.

This means that your draft board looks like this, hypothetically that the new guys end with say, positions #3 and # 8.

Owners: Team TDs, Yippie, Expansion #1, Beer,SWAG, Texas, Expansion #2, Click, N Dalton, Pruitt, Cleavage, Let me.

Round 1: Rodgers, Foster, XX CJ, AP, Peyton, LeSean, XX, Charles, Fitz, Vick, Mendy

Round 2: Wayne, AJ, XX, Jennings, Forte, Nicks, SJax, XX, Rice, Brees, noone, White

I have picked the Keepers, for fun.

Then, you have your Serpentine Draft as normal, with the Expansion teams picking alone in Rounds #1 and #2. Yes, they are at a slight disadvantage for the Expansion year, but this will not matter the year thereafter, as the values will fluxuate enough to make two Keepers viable for them, assuming they are not complete dolts. Notice that they could pick up Wallace, Brees, Brady, Mendy, Turner, or some other viable keepers right away, and if they draft young, players like Thomas, Ingram or other up- and comers will be there for 2012.

Bob's your mother's brother.

With the non-even spread of high-end Keepers, the method I selected looks even better. The Expansion teams will be instantly competitive.

The guy who has Vick should sacrifice only his 1st rounder, keep only Vick, and draft with the expansion teams in round two !

The easy way out is to just propose a clean wipe of rosters and draft new keeper teams.

Thats a ridiculous suggestion.

The reality is that keepers rarely mean as much as people think once the season starts. This is just a simple keep-2 league. That's practically nothing. The league should just open the two spots for new teams to come in and draft from scratch. The two new teams will get 2 extra spots to draft with vs everyone else, since they have no keepers to worry about. If no one wants to join under that system, that's fine. You run another year like normal and have fun. If the OP wants in on the league then just join and have fun with your extra two picks. If the OP wants all kinds of concessions for playing fantasy football the comissioner should tell him to find another league. Concessions and weak commissioners ruin leagues.

Thats a ridiculous suggestion.

The reality is that keepers rarely mean as much as people think once the season starts. This is just a simple keep-2 league. That's practically nothing. The league should just open the two spots for new teams to come in and draft from scratch. The two new teams will get 2 extra spots to draft with vs everyone else, since they have no keepers to worry about. If no one wants to join under that system, that's fine. You run another year like normal and have fun. If the OP wants in on the league then just join and have fun with your extra two picks. If the OP wants all kinds of concessions for playing fantasy football the comissioner should tell him to find another league. Concessions and weak commissioners ruin leagues.

Well, redrafting is not the BEST idea, but I don't think it's "ridiculous".

Even you said keep 2 is "practically nothing". So why not just redraft everything.

You probably will have just as much b1tching about where the new teams' extra draft spots will be as people b1tching about letting their 2 keepers go and redrafting.

Well they voted to change to just 1 keeper. So we have 4 new teams. The 4 of us will pick a keeper and i have #4 pick in "expansion" draft but i did get the #1 overall pick :banana: So i will get 2 players before anyone else gets to pick so wont be too bad.

The 8 keepers are

1-Rodgers

2-Foster

3-Mccoy

4-Chris johnson

5-Roddy white

6-Brees

7-Manning

8-Charles

9-Rice

10-AP

11-Vick

12-?????

I will have the choice of 2 of these players

Tom Brady, NE QB

Darren McFadden, Oak RB

Matt Forte, Chi RB

Maurice Jones-Drew, Jac RB

Michael Turner, Atl RB

Steven Jackson, StL RB

Rashard Mendenhall, Pit RB

Frank Gore, SF RB

Peyton Hillis, Cle RB

Andre Johnson, Hou WR

Calvin Johnson, Det WR

Hakeem Nicks, NYG WR

Miles Austin, Dal WR

Reggie Wayne, Ind WR

Greg Jennings, GB WR

The league is a PPR league with some differ scoring.

Pass Td= 4 pts

Completion= 1 pt

INT= -3

300+ yards= +5

400+ yards= +10

The top 24 scorers were all QBs and the highest non QB was Arian Foster. Here is how they finished last year.

Rank-total pts-average per game

Peyton Manning, Ind QB	1	817	51.1
Drew Brees, NO QB	2	795	49.7
Philip Rivers, SD QB	3	721	45.1
Matt Schaub, Hou QB	4	690	43.1
Aaron Rodgers, GB QB	5	676	42.3
Tom Brady, NE QB	6	675	42.2
Carson Palmer, Cin QB	7	645	40.3
Matt Ryan, Atl QB	8	641	40.1
Eli Manning, NYG QB	9	632	39.5
Michael Vick, Phi QB	10	594	37.1
Joe Flacco, Bal QB	11	576	36
Josh Freeman, TB QB	11	576	36
Sam Bradford, StL QB	11	576	36
Kyle Orton, Den QB	14	573	35.8
Matt Cassel, KC QB	15	525	32.8
Mark Sanchez, NYJ QB	16	515	32.2
Jay Cutler, Chi QB	17	507	31.7
Chad Henne, Mia QB	18	498	31.1
Donovan McNabb, Was QB	19	494	30.9
Roethlisberger, Pit QB	19	494	30.9
Fitzpatrick, Buf QB	21	493	30.8
David Garrard, Jac QB	22	485	30.3
Matt Hasselbeck, Sea QB	23	457	28.6

Arian Foster, Hou RB	1	428	26.8
Peyton Hillis, Cle RB	2	315	19.7
LeSean McCoy, Phi RB	3	306	19.1
Chris Johnson, Ten RB	4	304	19
Adrian Peterson, Min RB	5	295	18.4
Jamaal Charles, KC RB	6	292	18.3
Darren McFadden, Oak RB	7	291	18.2
Matt Forte, Chi RB	8	274	17.1
Ray Rice, Bal RB	9	273	17.1
MJD, Jac RB	        10	259	16.2
Ahmad Bradshaw, NYG RB	11	258	16.1
Michael Turner, Atl RB	12	256	16
Steven Jackson, StL RB	13	250	15.6
Mendenhall, Pit RB	14	245	15.3
Frank Gore, SF RB	15	222	13.9
Cedric Benson, Cin RB	16	211	13.2
Tomlinson, NYJ RB	17	206	12.9
Knowshon Moreno, Den RB	18	201	12.6
Green-Ellis, NE RB	19	198	12.4
Fred Jackson, Buf RB	20	197	12.3
Mike Tolbert, SD RB	21	194	12.1
Jahvid Best, Det RB	22	192	12
Felix Jones, Dal RB	23	178	11.1

Roddy White, Atl WR	1	340	21.3
Brandon Lloyd, Den WR	2	310	19.4
Reggie Wayne, Ind WR	3	300	18.8
Dwayne Bowe, KC WR	4	297	18.6
Greg Jennings, GB WR	5	294	18.4
Andre Johnson, Hou WR	6	280	17.5
Calvin Johnson, Det WR	7	279	17.4
Mike Wallace, Pit WR	8	277	17.3
Hakeem Nicks, NYG WR	9	264	16.5
Steve Johnson, Buf WR	10	256	16
Fitzgerald, Ari WR	11	251	15.7
Santana Moss, Was WR	12	248	15.5
Miles Austin, Dal WR	13	246	15.4
Terrell Owens, Cin WR	14	239	14.9
Marques Colston, NO WR	15	237	14.8
Jeremy Maclin, Phi WR	16	231	14.4
Mike Williams, TB WR	17	225	14.1
B Marshall, Mia WR	18	220	13.8
DeSean Jackson, Phi WR	18	220	13.8
Manningham, NYG WR	20	219	13.7
Percy Harvin, Min WR	21	214	13.4
Wes Welker, NE WR	22	212	13.3
Anquan Boldin, Bal WR	23	198	12.4

Either gonna go Andre and Calvin or Andre and MJD or Forte :unsure:

HOLLY SH!T the last 2 guys to pick their keepers before actually did not take AP and Vick :shocking: One picked Brady and the other picked Vick so i have last keeper to pick and i am taking Andre Johnson :headbanger: And i have #1 pick and AP is still available. Only reason i did not pick AP was because RB is more likely to get hurt in preseason and does not really matter but i will have AP and AJ :banana: