Sign in to follow this  
R8RMick

Ray Rice or Arian Foster

Ive been on this board for a few years now, Ive gotten some pretty good info from some very savvy people. I'd like to think I've contributed over the years as well. In over 1,000 posts I've rarely asked for advice for my team.

I'm in an auction keeper format, my opponent has Ray Rice for $1 and I have Arian Foster for $14. I have the chance at a trade, but only if I will assume half of Foster's salary, which would make the salaries $8 for Rice and $7 for Foster. We are in a non-PPR format.

It's not a case of my considering this because I'm downplaying Foster, but I'm thinking this may be a special season for Ray Rice, all off-season moves considered. This also has nothing to do with Foster's recent hammy injury. Conventional wisdom is to not do this deal. Any and all thoughts are appreciated. Greatly.

I'm very high on Rice this season. Assuming half of Foster's salary makes the move a little less palatable, but only a little. Foster will have a good year, but Rice has a shot for a huge year imo. Sometimes winning means taking a gamble. I'd do it.

Good luck.

So if I understand this right, you can have Rice for $8, or Foster for $14?

If that is correct, I'd take Rice and laugh all the way home. Not that I don't think Foster will do well this year, but straight up I'd rather have rice (Houston throws more) and he's cheaper. Of course, you can use that $6 you saved somewhere else that will get you more overall production than the difference between Rice and Foster imho.

No brainer, pull the trigger.

I have never played in auction league but they will probably have a close enough season to save the $6. Rice has the yardage to equal foster all he needs is more td's which will happen.

I wouldn't do this man. Everyone seems to think that Rice will get all the touches now that Mcclain and Mcgahee are gone, but I'm not convinced. Apparently the ravens just signed Ricky Williams and there has even been talk of Parmele getting involved in a McGahee like role. On the other hand, Foster basically returns to the exact same situation he was in last year. Kubiak loves to run it a lot and Foster will be the man. I just think Foster is the much safer player to keep here.

Appreciate the insight from all. Though I almost can't get past the fact Foster was undrafted, I just can't pull the trigger on this deal. I don't trust the Ravens coaching staff to let Rice get the goal line stuff, and his four rushing TD's were a joke. Plus he's had some minor injuries, one of which I believe set him back early last season. Couple the fact that his strength of pass recieving is also Foster's, and it puts things in perspective.

Foster is a load runnning downhill, has studied Houston's zone-blocking scheme extensively (he hand picked the Texans because he wasn't impressed with the RB corps in place),and is expert at following his blockers. More importantly, when he gets relieved it will just be for a breather, not because its third down or his team is at the goal line.

Sometimes it's the deals you don't go through with that save you.

Appreciate the insight from all. Though I almost can't get past the fact Foster was undrafted, I just can't pull the trigger on this deal. I don't trust the Ravens coaching staff to let Rice get the goal line stuff, and his four rushing TD's were a joke. Plus he's had some minor injuries, one of which I believe set him back early last season. Couple the fact that his strength of pass recieving is also Foster's, and it puts things in perspective.

Foster is a load runnning downhill, has studied Houston's zone-blocking scheme extensively (he hand picked the Texans because he wasn't impressed with the RB corps in place),and is expert at following his blockers. More importantly, when he gets relieved it will just be for a breather, not because its third down or his team is at the goal line.

Sometimes it's the deals you don't go through with that save you.

Just an FYI, but Fosters' best blocker is now in Baltimore blocking for Rice.

Just an FYI, but Fosters' best blocker is now in Baltimore blocking for Rice.

That actually was one of the main reasons I even considered the deal. Vontae Leach is a beast, and he probably won't even get a carry this year. It's the other guys they may bring in to tote the rock at the goal line that worry me. Just don't think they're going to let Rice do any short yardage stuff...