Sign in to follow this  
swirvenirvin

Steve Smith (NYG) to Philly

Probably the last team I would have thought he would go to.

So even though he may not play until midyear still bump down Maclin, and Jackson

"Prevailing opinion had Smith likely to re-sign with the Giants, but their team doctors determined that his surgically repaired knee was too much of a medical risk. The Eagles' doctors are more optimistic, according to CSN Philly's Reuben Frank, and believe Smith could return by midseason. It's still not a good landing spot for fantasy value. A likely hobbled Smith won't beat out Jason Avant for the Eagles' slot receiver job, and he remains likely to open the season on the PUP list. Smith isn't worth a pick in fantasy drafts. "

Is part of the new CBA that no team but the Eagles can sign free agents? :dunno:

Also, I'd agree with that analysis.

Mario Manningham was already on my radar as a 6/7 round steal.

Telling move by Philly. I don't think they're interested in bringing back Jackson next year. I don't think they're going to want to pay him what he'll be asking, and I'm not sure if they could afford it anyway after all the moves this offseason.

They're not really signing Steve Smith for 2011, although if he can provide a late season spark, that's great. But they're signing him for 2012.

Mario Manningham was already on my radar as a 6/7 round steal.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Hell yeah. Now, the price may be too high for him. We shall see.

Telling move by Philly. I don't think they're interested in bringing back Jackson next year. I don't think they're going to want to pay him what he'll be asking, and I'm not sure if they could afford it anyway after all the moves this offseason.

They're not really signing Steve Smith for 2011, although if he can provide a late season spark, that's great. But they're signing him for 2012.

Smith isn't near the deep threat that DJax is, though. That would be an interesting move to replace an absolute burner with more of a possession receiver.

I don't agree with that first part at all. Jackson may be hit or miss in fantasy, but he's a monster weapon in the NFL. Can't see a team that's gone so big in the offseason dumping one of their biggest threats. He'll get some massive bonus on a frontloaded deal and play there for at least another 3 seasons.

I do agree that this is more of a shot at trying Smith out for a longer term role with the team, and also might be considered some Maclin insurance if whatever he's got doesn't go away.

I think Manningham's likely to get up into the top 25 receivers by ADP now, way closer to that Lloyd/Santonio/Stevie Johnson/Boldin group in the 5th. Not sure how much value he provides at that point.

I hope we can still refer to him as Steve Smith (NYG). It's almost like he legally changed his name at this point.

:thumbsup: sounds good from here on and forever on this bored he will be known as Steve Smith (NYG)

No, you are wrong. This is a telling move that Maclin will not be ready to play at the start of the season or most of the season if they are hiding something career threatening.

How is it that Philly can sign anyone and everybody they want. Are they playing by different rules than the rest of the league. Its basically a allstar team this year, makes no sense at all. And, at the sametime it seems there are teams that cant get more than one or two big names, its nuts.

No, you are wrong. This is a telling move that Maclin will not be ready to play at the start of the season or most of the season if they are hiding something career threatening.

This makes more sense than the DJax thing as Maclin and SSmith are more similar- type receivers. Still, it is only a 1-year deal...

How is it that Philly can sign anyone and everybody they want. Are they playing by different rules than the rest of the league. Its basically a allstar team this year, makes no sense at all. And, at the sametime it seems there are teams that cant get more than one or two big names, its nuts.

But the NFL has proven time and time again that buying teams in the off season does not equal Superbowls. Teams that are built with youth and have a large core group of guys that have played with each other for years are the ones that are successful.

The Eagles will win some games this year on talent alone, but teams will figure out how to beat them by the end of the year.

Philly came into this Offseason as a very young team with most of their players still on rookie deals. So they were in good shape versus the cap. Also, the had very little "dead money" counting against their cap which gave them more room to manuever. "Dead money" is for players who were cut from your team that still had unamortized bonus money or guaranteed salary which has to count against your cap. The Cowboys have approximately $20 million of "dead money" counting against their cap this year which decreases their ability to sign free agents.

Philly is also in a unique situation this year in that players are willing to sign with the Eagles for less to play on a team with Michael Vick. Now you can argue whether Vick is all that as a QB, but there is no denying that he has star appeal amongst his fellow players (see Tashard Choice getting his autograph last year). Finally, Philly has a couple million dollars of cap credits for this year due to their management of the cap in the past. This is helping them.

Philly's front office is not playing by different rules, they are just using the rules to their advantage better than other teams. Now it is up to the coaches to get all these new faces playing together as a team to win football games. That is the downside to getting a whole lot of new faces; They have to learn to play together.

But the NFL has proven time and time again that buying teams in the off season does not equal Superbowls. Teams that are built with youth and have a large core group of guys that have played with each other for years are the ones that are successful.

The Eagles will win some games this year on talent alone, but teams will figure out how to beat them by the end of the year.

This was a pretty stupid post.

Teams can't "buy" a championship but a few key acquisitions can get a team over the hump. Brees, Burress, and Simeon Rice come to mind as FAs who played huge roles on championship teams.

And it's not like the Eagles are trying to construct an entire roster out of free agents. They won the NFC East last year with the youngest roster in football and mostly draft picks. Asante was the only big ticket free agent on that roster last year. I don't count Vick, since he cost them nothing and was basically a creation of the coaching staff.

The Eagles may not win a championship this year, but that won't be because they added Asomugha, Babin or Jenkins.

This was a pretty stupid post.

Teams can't "buy" a championship but a few key acquisitions can get a team over the hump. Brees, Burress, and Simeon Rice come to mind as FAs who played huge roles on championship teams.

And it's not like the Eagles are trying to construct an entire roster out of free agents. They won the NFC East last year with the youngest roster in football and mostly draft picks. Asante was the only big ticket free agent on that roster last year. I don't count Vick, since he cost them nothing and was basically a creation of the coaching staff.

The Eagles may not win a championship this year, but that won't be because they added Asomugha, Babin or Jenkins.

Sure it can. This is a team sport. Players need to be athletic, but more importantly, they need to know what the other players on their team are doing at any given moment. Do you think they will get that team momentum in a shortened off season?

I personally don't think so. Although I think the Eagles will win their division, I wouldn't be shocked if they lose out to the Giants.

Sure it can. This is a team sport. Players need to be athletic, but more importantly, they need to know what the other players on their team are doing at any given moment. Do you think they will get that team momentum in a shortened off season?

I think the upgrade in talent along the D line and at cornerback will more than make up for any chemistry issues. And I think lumping the Eagles in with the Skins or other teams that are annual big players in free agency is not supported by the facts. The Eagles had the youngest roster in football last year and it was mostly homegrown players. The last big name signee was Samuel in 2008. Before that you have to go back to Kearse and Owens in '04. This isn't a team that traditionally throws $$$ around. The strategy is different because they had tons of cap space, an awful defense, the QB is older and the coach won't last much longer if he doesn't win a championship.

These moves guarantee nothing and the Eagles may not go far in the playoffs, but it won't be because they added Asomugha, Babin and Jenkins to the D.