Sign in to follow this  
gimethedamnball

Brandon Lloyd on the rise?

With the announcement of Orton winning the starting job in Denver (no surprise), Lloyd should remain a consistent option for him in '11. I know Fox is known as a defensive minded, run first type, but I keep seeing Lloyd falling to rd's 4 or lower in non ppr formats. I have watched this guy from his time with the 9ers and the guy is a playa. I know the consensus is that he can't repeat, but why not? The only thing that has changed is the change in coach. He still has chemistry with Orton and last time I checked, he is still a QB2 with the ability to throw to his favortie WR1. Am I missing something?

With the announcement of Orton winning the starting job in Denver (no surprise), Lloyd should remain a consistent option for him in '11. I know Fox is known as a defensive minded, run first type, but I keep seeing Lloyd falling to rd's 4 or lower in non ppr formats. I have watched this guy from his time with the 9ers and the guy is a playa. I know the consensus is that he can't repeat, but why not? The only thing that has changed is the change in coach. He still has chemistry with Orton and last time I checked, he is still a QB2 with the ability to throw to his favortie WR1. Am I missing something?

I agree the recipe for success is there but ill explain what u may be missing. "all thats changed is the coach" is a big deal. the new gameplan will be a run first approach and the offense will just take on a new feel. Sure, he could still play well but theres also the reliability of lloyd. He hasnt shown consistency wich is a red flag to wary drafters. Usually the price tag for the previous years top wr is sky high, so when it falls onto a guy like lloyd, paranoia sets in. I always thought he was a talent, and maybe the broncos suck it up and he gets all sorts of garbage time stats.

I agree 100%. I feel like 4th or 5th round is a steal right now for a guy that had 1,448 and 11 last year. He's obviously unlikely to reach those numbers again this year with a change in coaching style and an improved defense (time will tell on that but they should be better). However, I still see him as having a floor of 1,000 and 8 with a ceiling approaching that of last year. Definitely seems like a WR1 to me and he's being drafted like a WR2.

"I have watched this guy from his time with the 9ers and the guy is a playa...Am I missing something?"

Said "playa" is in his 8th year and been on 4-teams, and has had only one good year, which was 2010. No thanks as far as I'm concerned, I think he has bust written all over him, especially once Orton eventually gets traded and he has Quinn/Tebow throwing to him! :cheers:

Lloyd will be good as long as Orton is the QB.

Orton will be QB as long as the Broncos are winning.

The Broncos are the weakest team in their division on paper, and their schedule looks brutual - all the "easy" teams are road games except for DET. They have to decide if they want to go with Tebow or Quinn, or re-sign Orton, or try to trade for another QB by next season.

It is a really bad situation for Lloyd if they start losing.

A guy named Steve Smith had some fine years in Carolina with John Fox as coach and Jake Delhomme as QB...

Just saying! :cheers:

I agree 100%. I feel like 4th or 5th round is a steal right now for a guy that had 1,448 and 11 last year. He's obviously unlikely to reach those numbers again this year with a change in coaching style and an improved defense (time will tell on that but they should be better). However, I still see him as having a floor of 1,000 and 8 with a ceiling approaching that of last year. Definitely seems like a WR1 to me and he's being drafted like a WR2.

Keep this to yourself... but a change in coaching style doesn't mean ######... i'll tell you why ...for some reason no one has brought this up, so i figured i would

These are all years under John Fox.... who apparently doesn't ever let his QB throw the ball

2003 Steve Smith

88 Receptions, 1110 Yds, 7 Tds

2004 Muhsin Muhammad (#1 Fantasy WR and Steal of the Year)

94 Receptions, 1,405 Yds, 16 Tds

2005 Steve Smith (16 Games)

103 Receptions, 1,563 Yds, 12 Tds Led the league in Rec, Yards, and Touchdowns

2006 Steve Smith (14 Games)

83 Receptions, 1,166 Yds, 8 Tds

2007 Steve Smith (15 Games)

87 Receptions, 1,002 Yds, 7 Tds

2008 Steve Smith (14 Games)

78 Receptions, 1,421 Yds, 6 Tds

This whole coaching thing doesn't make too much sense to me... because WR's definitely have put up great numbers with a much worse QB....Brandon Lloyd has a good QB, one much better than Jake Delhomme... John Fox loves to use the Play-Action Pass... you don't think Brandon Lloyd will benefit from that???

I can see him easily getting 80 Receptions, 1,200 Yds, 6-10 Tds... Great #2 WR Numbers.. and even better value for where you can get him in the draft

This whole coaching thing doesn't make too much sense to me... because WR's definitely have put up great numbers with a much worse QB....Brandon Lloyd has a good QB, one much better than Jake Delhomme... John Fox loves to use the Play-Action Pass... you don't think Brandon Lloyd will benefit from that???

Ah man! What'd you have to go and do this for? I was really enjoying reading how BL would blow because of John Fox, etc. Just last year he was the #1 Fantasy WR with the same QB...last year. And regardless how much a team puts running first, you have to throw the ball and especially to catch up when youre losing like Denver will be! Its funny how people are acting like Kyle Orton wont be throwing the ball...

I can see it now, 3rd and 11...MORENO UP THE MIDDLE! :overhead:

Ah man! What'd you have to go and do this for? I was really enjoying reading how BL would blow because of John Fox, etc. Just last year he was the #1 Fantasy WR with the same QB...last year. And regardless how much a team puts running first, you have to throw the ball and especially to catch up when youre losing like Denver will be! Its funny how people are acting like Kyle Orton wont be throwing the ball...

It wouldn't have mattered in our league. There are enough lazy owners that he'll get drafted as a high #1.

haha none of us are in the same league... just trying to help everyone who reads this board out

I think Lloyd's run last year was a perfect storm. There's no denying a lot of that success came because Josh McDaniel's offense forced him the ball and the Denver defense was pitiful. Coupel that with a guy who's always had decent skills and there you go. BTW, I'm interested to see what a guy like Mike Sims-Walker may do playing for McDaniels... I mean, who was Lloyd before last season right?

Keep this to yourself... but a change in coaching style doesn't mean ######... i'll tell you why ...for some reason no one has brought this up, so i figured i would

These are all years under John Fox.... who apparently doesn't ever let his QB throw the ball

2003 Steve Smith

88 Receptions, 1110 Yds, 7 Tds

2004 Muhsin Muhammad (#1 Fantasy WR and Steal of the Year)

94 Receptions, 1,405 Yds, 16 Tds

2005 Steve Smith (16 Games)

103 Receptions, 1,563 Yds, 12 Tds Led the league in Rec, Yards, and Touchdowns

2006 Steve Smith (14 Games)

83 Receptions, 1,166 Yds, 8 Tds

2007 Steve Smith (15 Games)

87 Receptions, 1,002 Yds, 7 Tds

2008 Steve Smith (14 Games)

78 Receptions, 1,421 Yds, 6 Tds

I can see him easily getting 80 Receptions, 1,200 Yds, 6-10 Tds... Great #2 WR Numbers.. and even better value for where you can get him in the draft

Let me start by saying i am a broncos homer - and I actually drafted Llyod last year in round 11. he was Gold - I agree though his Numbers will decrease - he will have decent WR2 's maybe Border Line #1 -

The issue i have with WRs like Llyod or Djax of M. wallace is that they rely o nthe Deep Ball - and they suffer in PPR leagues-

as for your examples -

1) Steve Smith was at the time the best Run after the catch WR in the game - Llyod is not-

2) Carolina also had a killer Defense and a Great Running game going back to Stephen Davis and Foster. so even with average QB smith never saw double teams becasue they had to put more in the box.

3) Mushin man was a 1 year abination - the year after he was the # 1 WR he finshed 40th the year after- I think Lloyd could fall prevy to this?

Let me start by saying i am a broncos homer - and I actually drafted Llyod last year in round 11. he was Gold - I agree though his Numbers will decrease - he will have decent WR2 's maybe Border Line #1 -

The issue i have with WRs like Llyod or Djax of M. wallace is that they rely o nthe Deep Ball - and they suffer in PPR leagues-

as for your examples -

1) Steve Smith was at the time the best Run after the catch WR in the game - Llyod is not-

2) Carolina also had a killer Defense and a Great Running game going back to Stephen Davis and Foster. so even with average QB smith never saw double teams becasue they had to put more in the box.

3) Mushin man was a 1 year abination - the year after he was the # 1 WR he finshed 40th the year after- I think Lloyd could fall prevy to this?

I agree with everything you have said... but I still think he will put up solid WR #2 numbers... Orton has great chemistry with him and there is no one else to challenge him in that department... is he going to produce like he did last year?? no way... but i have seen him fall as late as the 7th round in some drafts.. and that is real value for a guy like him

No Josh Daniels

New coach will run, run, run

So I don't like Lloyd this year at his ADP