Sign in to follow this  
GoldenRhino

How would you handle this as commissioner of your league?

First of all, everybody is this league is required to carry the same number of players at each position. Everybody's roster should include 2 QB's, 3 RB's, 3 WR's, 2 TE's, 2 D/ST's & 2 K's. The only exception is due to the Flex player, & allows you to carry either 4 RB's or 4 WR's...not both.

Last week we had a problem with a couple of guys carrying either an extra RB or WR, with only 1 K or TE. Carrying an extra players at skill positions gives teams an unfair advantage. So I posted a message to make sure the rules were understood, & warning that future errors that are not fixed before the games kickoff could subject your team to a forfeit.

Now we have a comedian (who is 2-7 FWIW) that has dropped some good players (e.g. Michael Bush, OAK), & has players like David Carr (NYG QB), David Buehler (DAL backup K), the Indy D/ST, etc...in his starting lineup. This is obviously a childish over-reaction to the warning about incorrect rosters resulting in forfeits. At least that's the only way I can interpret this.

What would you do?

At first I thought I'd give him until Sunday morning around 11 am to fix it, but now (with Bush already playing), I think I should just remove him immediately. One problem is there is another co-commissioner, & this is "his guy". But so far, he hasn't even been able to reach him.

First of all, this is the stupidest rule I've ever heard of. Get rid of the rule next year. Let an owner structure his roster any way he wants to, so long as he can field a legal line-up. Why would you ever have a rule like that?

Secondly, you have a rule with but no spelled out penalty for violation? I'd say that you created this silly mess, now you figure out how to solve it.

PS. Remind me never to join a league that you commish.

This may be the most communist leaning league I've ever heard of. I've always thought roster position limits were dumb, but I'd never heard of roster minimums. :wacko:

Seriously, what is your logic behind forcing a team to carry 2 kickers and 2 defenses at all times?

The problem is if your league has rules that have no defined penalty if violated. Was the penalty of a forfeit posted on your league rules page? If it is, then you have to enforce it. If it is not, then you and the co-commish should figure out how you are going to run the league for the rest of the season.

IMHO - I don't think there's anything wrong with roster requirements, as long as the penalty for violating it is defined.

First of all, this is the stupidest rule I've ever heard of. Get rid of the rule next year. Let an owner structure his roster any way he wants to, so long as he can field a legal line-up. Why would you ever have a rule like that?

Secondly, you have a rule with but no spelled out penalty for violation? I'd say that you created this silly mess, now you figure out how to solve it.

Can you people not just answer questions, rather than be all ridiculously superior about how much better your league rules are. Seriously, get a life!!!

* We do this for fun. This ain't our life. If a player (RB for example) goes down in week 8, we'd like to be able to pick up somebody better than Chris Ogbonaya. That's why we don't allow teams to carry like 10 RB's on their roster. Seriously, is it fun to try & figure out what 3rd string RB might get 2 carries this week???

* We have 2nd players (kickers for example) at each position so that you already have a player on your roster to cover bye weeks. Does that make you smart to only carry 1 kicker? What difference does it make? Everybody plays by the same rules!!!

* We DO have a rule for rosters, but handing out forfeits is a last resort. Last week I gave them warnings about the roster (during the week), & they got them fixed before kickoff. They now understand that if it happens again, there won't be a warning.

* Trust me, you're too stupid to ever be invited to our league.

Can you people not just answer questions, rather than be all ridiculously superior about how much better your league rules are. Seriously, get a life!!!

* We do this for fun. This ain't our life. If a player (RB for example) goes down in week 8, we'd like to be able to pick up somebody better than Chris Ogbonaya. That's why we don't allow teams to carry like 10 RB's on their roster. Seriously, is it fun to try & figure out what 3rd string RB might get 2 carries this week???

* We have 2nd players (kickers for example) at each position so that you already have a player on your roster to cover bye weeks. Does that make you smart to only carry 1 kicker? What difference does it make? Everybody plays by the same rules!!!

* We DO have a rule for rosters, but handing out forfeits is a last resort. Last week I gave them warnings about the roster (during the week), & they got them fixed before kickoff. They now understand that if it happens again, there won't be a warning.

If you have such a great life and play FF for fun, then why do you act like such a Napoleon spastic? Just let people have fun and get over it. Maybe not everybody in your league wants to live in your little utopian rainbow land. They're grown men, who dont need to be antagonized by some little twerp. It's a tip that if you make up a bunch of retarded rules with no consequences people won't pay attention. I'd sit at home and get drunk all day if my job had no consequences for not showing up and working. HTH

If you have such a great life and play FF for fun, then why do you act like such a Napoleon spastic? Just let people have fun and get over it. Maybe not everybody in your league wants to live in your little utopian rainbow land. They're grown men, who dont need to be antagonized by some little twerp. It's a tip that if you make up a bunch of retarded rules with no consequences people won't pay attention. I'd sit at home and get drunk all day if my job had no consequences for not showing up and working. HTH

When people start "throwing" games, it's kind of a problem.

When people start "throwing" games, it's kind of a problem.

Yes, but I assume you created the rules, so it is your problem. We've told you that the rule itself is asinine, and secondly creating an asinine rule and then not spelling out penalties for ignoring it is even more asinine.

You created, or put yourself in a no win situation. So do what you want at this point and live with the crap you get from the other owners.

There is no advice that we can give you that will solve this problem for you.

Yes, but I assume you created the rules, so it is your problem. We've told you that the rule itself is asinine, and secondly creating an asinine rule and then not spelling out penalties for ignoring it is even more asinine.

You created, or put yourself in a no win situation. So do what you want at this point and live with the crap you get from the other owners.

There is no advice that we can give you that will solve this problem for you.

I get it that you don't like our rules & that you like saying the word "asinine". This is by no means a "no win" situation...I'll be deleting the guy from our league if he doesn't fix his roster by Sunday morning at 11. I was just curious if other people had come across a similar situation & what the did. Now got blow yourself.

I get it that you don't like our rules & that you like saying the word "asinine". This is by no means a "no win" situation...I'll be deleting the guy from our league if he doesn't fix his roster by Sunday morning at 11. I was just curious if other people had come across a similar situation & what the did. Now got blow yourself.

Don't you think that will cause a bigger issue in your league? Maybe I'm just havin a hard time figuring out where all the fun is being had? It just seems so trivial... So the guys have an extra RB. Just don't invite them back next year. Nobody is colluding or dumping rosters. Kick back and have fun.

Don't you think that will cause a bigger issue in your league? Maybe I'm just havin a hard time figuring out where all the fun is being had? It just seems so trivial... So the guys have an extra RB. Just don't invite them back next year. Nobody is colluding or dumping rosters. Kick back and have fun.

Forget I even mentioned the roster. That problem has been solved.

Our current problem is due to an owner I suspect is getting ready to throw his remaining games. He made a bunch of questionable add/drops in the last 2 days, including Michael Bush for John Kuhn, & now has David Carr in his starting lineup (with Tom Brady on his bench). I'm not even sure what his problem is. It could be that he's frustrated being 2-7, or he's upset that we posted a message last week about people fixing their rosters (didn't call him out specifically - there were 2 with errors). And like I said, he's not my guy, & I barely know him. He was added to our league at the last minute, when the co-commissioner's ex-girl friends son decided not to play.

We don't necessarily have a rule that specifically states "thou shall not start shitty players", but we have asked that everybody play out the season...for the integrity of the game. That's why I asked how other people would handle this. I've never had anyone blatantly throw games. Just trying to justify what I'm getting ready to do, which is delete him as an owner & find somebody else to manage his team for the remainder of the season.

At first I thought I'd give him until Sunday morning around 11 am to fix it, but now (with Bush already playing), I think I should just remove him immediately. One problem is there is another co-commissioner, & this is "his guy". But so far, he hasn't even been able to reach him.

That is a stupid focking rule. But this guy is clearly trying to sabotage your league, so you gotta can his ass.

Then get rid of that stupid focking rule. Seriously, that rule is dumb.

That is a stupid focking rule. But this guy is clearly trying to sabotage your league, so you gotta can his ass.

I'd really like to know how this rule is stupid. We have a 10 team league where we allow between 3-4 RB's on each roster. Do the math, that's between 30-40 RB's already on current rosters. If you have to pick up somebody off waivers due to injury, you're likely to get somebody out of the top 35. Sorry, but I'm not interested in choosing between Kregg Lumpkin & Jacquizz Rodgers to be my flex RB. If that's supposed to make our league smarter, then I'll take boring & stupid all day long!!! Maybe we're just ahead of our time. :headbanger:

Please enlighten me on how our roster rules are stupid AND how yours is better???

I'd really like to know how this rule is stupid. We have a 10 team league where we allow between 3-4 RB's on each roster. Do the math, that's between 30-40 RB's already on current rosters. If you have to pick up somebody off waivers due to injury, you're likely to get somebody out of the top 35. Sorry, but I'm not interested in choosing between Kregg Lumpkin & Jacquizz Rodgers to be my flex RB. If that's supposed to make our league smarter, then I'll take boring & stupid all day long!!! Maybe we're just ahead of our time. :headbanger:

Please enlighten me on how our roster rules are stupid AND how yours is better???

To each his own I guess. I don't understand the thought process in making the WW better & setting min/max limits by position is asinine(:lol:) IMO.

Seems like its more of a penalty to the owners that actually think strategy & do their homework than anything. :dunno:

Why do you care who he starts, you made it pretty clear this isn't a serious league and you only play for fun. I'm guessing he's having tons of fun. Why would you even make a post like this and argue with what people have to say? In case you didn't know this isn't a serious fantasy football forum, we all just post here for fun.

It doesn't sound like you are having fun. If you don't want to identify the problem don't ask.

It's not a case of better or worse. It's simply unnecessary. Your "rule" creates a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, and invites additional problems (as you are seeing) in the process. Eliminate the roster rule and you'll never have to worry about anyone breaking it. And it's a good bet your league will keep functioning without it.

You can usually credit temporary insanity for most roster dumps. The owner will eventually sober up and take steps to put his team back together again. If the owner really is walking away, the commissioner must step in before the league implodes. Find out what's going on. Then try to find a solution.

We had an owner dump his roster this year and post that he was quitting. His problem? His computer. The fix took five minutes. And yes, alcohol was a factor.

A few things:

1) if a player is being outwardly destructive in your league...correct it as the Commish. Undo the damage, reset the rosters, delete the posts, whatever, and warn the offender not to repeat.

If it does repeat, lock down the roster and take control. Talk with Owner again, then make a decision and stick to it. This decision could be to boot the Owner or whatever is warranted. Depends heavily on the context and who it is, but don't let one man ruin your league.

2) The criticism the original poster got was warranted. It was my very first thought: that rule is dumb and would create problems. If every serious FF geek likes making his own roster, his way...then why create such a bad rule to tamp down strategy and limit daring/enjoyable roster moves? If you do just one thing next year - take that rule outside and smash it with an axe. Don't let one rule ruin your league.

3) Though it is meaningless to say...I would never play in a League with such a crazy rule...and I love and am brutally addicted to this game. What does that tell you?

Serious question, how do most leagues structure their rosters? Is it just unlimited at any position? How many are required to start at each position? How many do you have on your bench? How many rounds do you draft? etc...

I'd really like to know. The only other league I've been in before I started these 2, had their rosters the same way. So I honestly don't know any other way.

Work league little $ in it:

10 teams, 18 rounds, PPR

Start:

1 QB

2 RB

2 WR

1 TE

1 D

1 K

1 Flex (rb,wr,te)

Lots of various ways - I'm just giving 1 example.

I only carry 1 each of TE, K, D.

2 QBs & rest (13) are RBs & WRs (7 RBs, 6 WRs).

Serious question, how do most leagues structure their rosters? Is it just unlimited at any position? How many are required to start at each position? How many do you have on your bench? How many rounds do you draft? etc...

I'd really like to know. The only other league I've been in before I started these 2, had their rosters the same way. So I honestly don't know any other way.

The good thing about not having roster limits, is that when owners decide to hoard up on one position, it usually leaves them weak at another. To me, the most fun thing in FF is making trades and finding WW gems. Hoarding players generally leads to more trade activity.

As far as WW gems, one of the best feelings you can have is when an owner decides to hoard RBs in an effort to cockblock his opponent, only for the opponent to pick up some scrub at the last minute that goes off for 253 and a TD.

Cockblocking RB hoarder - :wall:

Savvy WW player - :first:

ETA: Your rule also doesn't take multiple injuries into account. What if an owner has a RB on BYE, McFadden and Bradshaw as their RB's? Under your rule, they would be forced to cut one or start only one RB in order to comply.

dumb rule! like 20 people in a row agree!!

also dumb ass owner..kick him out and ask your league mates if the like or disslike the rules and decide that way for next year

10 teams, 18 rounds, PPR

Start:

1 QB

2 RB

2 WR

1 TE

1 D

1 K

1 Flex (rb,wr,te)

Very similar structure in my leagues. I will say in one league we limit DST to max of two but that was due to auto drafting errors a few years ago and we just left the rule and the site manages that...if there were min and max limits, CBS will not let your team play due to an invalid lineup, I.e. too many xx on roster.

JMHO, but I would ask the guy to comply with the stated rules and if he's going to be an ass, lock his roster and set his lineup based on the site determined rankings for the remainder of the season. Who knows? Maybe he is doing this to get first pick in the draft next year. We handle it by paying out weekly top scoring cash and we have an EOS toilet bowl playoff that allows the possibility of winning your season fee back. We also have fines for starting someone one a bye or on IR. of course this is all stated in the bylaws and constitution...

I can see why you limit your rosters to ensure WW availability I just don't necessarily agree with your numbers.

If you want to be able to have players on the WW to be picked up in case of injury, why don't you drop it to eight teams...

Just curious, does your league have a lot of trading?

10 teams, 18 rounds, PPR

Start:

1 QB

2 RB

2 WR

1 TE

1 D

1 K

1 Flex (rb,wr,te)

Thank you for the example. That sounds great if it works for you & your other players.

However (and this is not a knock on your league), this is why I don't think it would work as well for our league. We do have a little money tied to weekly transactions & the high point winner. If everyone in your league is carrying 6 or 7 RB's, I'm guessing there's not a whole lot of movement on the waiver wire (IDK). You've probably got 60-70 RB's on current rosters. Hell, the guys in our league probably couldn't name half of those RB's. And if you get a fairly good one, you probably hang onto him no matter what. You might trade him if your lucky enough to find a partner, but you damn sure ain't cutting him.

One of the things everyone in our league enjoys is the "action". It cost $5 for each add/drop and $10 for each trade. All that money goes into a pot & the weekly high point winner gets the pot. So they're looking on that waiver wire for a guy who could help them win immediately. And after about the first 40 RB's or WR's, you ain't gonna find many of those explosive type players. But in our league, you can find some of those players every week, just by playing the matchups. For instance, this week you could have picked up a guy like Denarius Moore from OAK. And since you also have to drop a pretty good player, somebody else will be waiting to pick that player up. The bye weeks also create a lot of movement....and the money ball just keeps on rolling.

To each his own I guess. Obviously our league setup isn't a popular one on here. :cry:

Thank you for the example. That sounds great if it works for you & your other players.

However (and this is not a knock on your league), this is why I don't think it would work as well for our league. We do have a little money tied to weekly transactions & the high point winner. If everyone in your league is carrying 6 or 7 RB's, I'm guessing there's not a whole lot of movement on the waiver wire (IDK). You've probably got 60-70 RB's on current rosters. Hell, the guys in our league probably couldn't name half of those RB's. And if you get a fairly good one, you probably hang onto him no matter what. You might trade him if your lucky enough to find a partner, but you damn sure ain't cutting him.

One of the things everyone in our league enjoys is the "action". It cost $5 for each add/drop and $10 for each trade. All that money goes into a pot & the weekly high point winner gets the pot. So they're looking on that waiver wire for a guy who could help them win immediately. And after about the first 40 RB's or WR's, you ain't gonna find many of those explosive type players. But in our league, you can find some of those players every week, just by playing the matchups. For instance, this week you could have picked up a guy like Denarius Moore from OAK. And since you also have to drop a pretty good player, somebody else will be waiting to pick that player up. The bye weeks also create a lot of movement....and the money ball just keeps on rolling.

To each his own I guess. Obviously our league setup isn't a popular one on here. :cry:

First, not everyone is going to carry 6-7 RB's. Beauty of FF is everyone has different philosophies and runs their team differently. One easy solution is put a cap of 15 players per team. I'm in a 12 team league and we have tons of activity every week on WW pick ups. You can't hold onto an unproductive player, especially during the bye weeks with a shallow bench.

I do want to say that I don't agree with the majority here. If that is what you 10 guys, for the most part, like doing, then I don't see a problem with it. I personally don't like the roster limits so I wouldn't be in that type of league, easy enough. Just like I don't like total points only leagues and enjoy head 2 head, so I don't play in those type of leagues. The great thing is there is a league out there for everyone.

I see many people stating that if you didn't have roster limits then it wouldn't be a problem. I don't agree. Everyone was aware of this before they joined the league, just like with any rule. Can't complain after the fact. I think people lost sight of what you were asking.

Obviously, you want to try and get in contact with the owner. I mean, in this day and age, there has to be a way you can talk to him over the phone and find out why he is benching Brady for whichever qb you mentioned. I would then bring up the integrity of the league and to not be selfish, blah, blah, blah. If he is continuing to jeopardize that then you would need to find a new owner or create a system where highest ranked player per such and such site starts.

Maybe just me but you said your league was just for fun. I would think some owners view it as more than that when they are making $5 and $10 transactions. Plus you are making a lot of assumptions about how things would work otherwise. For example, you say if everyone carried 6-7 RBs. Not everyone would I imagine. You might have a couple of guys that try to hoard 7 RBs but there are not enough for everyone to do the same. Someone already pointed out that those teams would probably be weaker at other positions. Situations like that could lend to those owners wanting to trade more to help out their weak positions. But you are right - to each their own. If you really like the current set up except for the current situation, deal with the current situation and then try to tighten the rules for next year.

Bam this thread over. Dumb rule and dumb to not have the league setup so if they don't follow it they can't submit their roster

Fantasy Football cherishes the right of every owner to do stupid stuff. Aside from having the required number of starters in the correct positions, owners are generally free to screw up their rosters in whatever manner they choose.

Roster sizes vary by league. Same with starters. Small rosters mean more players on the WW. Fewer trades. Large rosters make fewer WW players available. More trades. Again, there are no set rules.

Our league does 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1D/ST, 1 K. Roster limit is 13. Next year we will (we're always last to get the memo) add a flex spot and boost rosters to 15. But that's us. There are an almost endless number of variations.

One of the things everyone in our league enjoys is the "action". It cost $5 for each add/drop and $10 for each trade. All that money goes into a pot & the weekly high point winner gets the pot.

If this is a fun league as you state, why are you putting a monetary value on each add/drop and trade? Why not make it a free league...

12 team league. Must start 1 qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, 1 te, 1 k, 1 D.

8 starters, 6 bench spots.

Those are the only roster rules. No min or max, put 6 RB's on your bench if you want, we don't care.

How you increase the available (good) players is by limiting total roster sports, not by mandatory min/max positional roster spots, that is fooking stupid.

If this is a fun league as you state, why are you putting a monetary value on each add/drop and trade? Why not make it a free league...

It's not like it's high stakes. During the season you might average $5-20 per week, with a chance to win $100 or more each week. Besides, since when is gambling not fun? :doublethumbsup: I didn't say our owners were broke. They just don't want to spend an excessive amount of time researching roster moves every week for 3rd string diamonds in the rough.

As stated, the rule is absolutely ghey.

And since owners HAVE to meet the roster minimum, then why does it matter who is on the roster? as long as he has a legit roster (according to the rule) then the owner is doing nothing wrong.

for what it's worth i'll go against the grain and say that i think the rule is intriguing. have the stated roster limits and make owners pay for add/drops - this introduces a different kind of strategic thinking.

i don't play in any leagues that have similar limits, but i'm always looking for a way to do things differently/change things up

How you increase the available (good) players is by limiting total roster sports, not by mandatory min/max positional roster spots, that is fooking stupid.

Exactly. :thumbsup:

If you *want* to ensure there are good players on waivers (and I really don't understand why you do), then just make the benches really shallow.

regardless of the reason for the rule, the "comedian" isn't doing anything wrong. He has a full roster based off the rule, regardless of who is on his team. his obvious protest shows that your league thinks the rule is ghey too...

+1

for what it's worth i'll go against the grain and say that i think the rule is intriguing. have the stated roster limits and make owners pay for add/drops - this introduces a different kind of strategic thinking.

i don't play in any leagues that have similar limits, but i'm always looking for a way to do things differently/change things up

I tend to agree. The cost per transaction definitely makes the rule create a little more strategy. It also helps owners not need to drop 5 bucks on a bye week DST/K etc.

It still sounds like a pretty unfortunate situation, that could have been avoided. Without knowing the dynamics of the league or the people involved, I suspect feelings and hurt egos are the root of the problem.

I'd reach out to the guy individually and try to find a resolution. You might fun out it was just a misunderstanding.

Good luck! Hope it works out for you guys.