Sign in to follow this  
Corporal Punishment

Seattle Quarterback Options

Nope, they're going to use their first rounder on a 35 year old paramedic.

Manning? You mean paraplegic. :cheers:

The Seahawks should stay put and draft the best available player. The only two QBs worth taking in Round 1 are Luck and RG3, and I don't see any way they can put a fair package together to land either of them. I can't believe I'm going to say this, but McNabb wouldn't be the worst 1-year signing in the world. They'll have to hope there are better draft options next year. The problem is, in that division the Seahawks win too many games to have a legit shot at the elite options and there are rarely QBs with even the potential to start floating around in free agency.

Manning? You mean paraplegic. :cheers:

The Seahawks should stay put and draft the best available player. The only two QBs worth taking in Round 1 are Luck and RG3, and I don't see any way they can put a fair package together to land either of them. I can't believe I'm going to say this, but McNabb wouldn't be the worst 1-year signing in the world. They'll have to hope there are better draft options next year. The problem is, in that division the Seahawks win too many games to have a legit shot at the elite options and there are rarely QBs with even the potential to start floating around in free agency.

:lol:

Yeah, they aren't trading up. Outside of Luck and RG3 I know nothing about the other QB's coming out, so have no opinion.

Honestly, I don't think McNabb is much of an upgrade over TJ at this point. Jackson played most the season with a torn pec and was at least as good as Donovan. Donovan has more potential to be a distraction.

Other then the Whitehurst trade, this front office has been playing it pretty smart. As long as they land the pass-rusher the defense sorely needs to take another step, I won't mind waiting another year on a quarterback. The only guy available the past 3 off seasons that excited me was Mallett. Who knows if that would have been a mistake...the entire NFL obviously thought so.

I'll call it now, Tannehill is a bust in waiting if he's forced to start too early. If you can get him at 3rd round or later, then he might be worth it, but he's not going to solve the QB issues in Seattle for quite a while, maybe never.

I knew you couldnt stay away from me princess. :cheers:

There is a new Seahawks thread up, you and JG have at it. Just dont delete your posts later mkay?

Wow, you act just like your little buddy Flahawker now...guess that old saying about birds of a feather is double applicable in this case. I'm pretty sure my comment was appropriate for the topic posted. What did you add or contribute with your comments about me other than clarifying your wish that I respond?

:lol:

Yeah, they aren't trading up. Outside of Luck and RG3 I know nothing about the other QB's coming out, so have no opinion.

Honestly, I don't think McNabb is much of an upgrade over TJ at this point. Jackson played most the season with a torn pec and was at least as good as Donovan. Donovan has more potential to be a distraction.

Other then the Whitehurst trade, this front office has been playing it pretty smart. As long as they land the pass-rusher the defense sorely needs to take another step, I won't mind waiting another year on a quarterback. The only guy available the past 3 off seasons that excited me was Mallett. Who knows if that would have been a mistake...the entire NFL obviously thought so.

Hell no in getting McNabb.... Yeah, I'd rather have Jackson or heck even Whitehurst running the show over him. McNabb is DONE.

I still think we can get Flynn for "just" $$$ and we can afford it since we are pretty far under the cap. This would be a no risk move and would not cost us allot like some are saying. The cost of having a full draft of other players (1st and 2nd) and using those picks on other needs would be huge. Plus have a step in ready QB instead of a rookie. We are simply paying for our projected #1 QB of the future without the loss of losing any picks. And most contracts there always seems to be a way out of. However, I think Flynn is for real and young.

Flynn by far is the best #1 choice. I don't think waiting another year is a good move unless we are forced too.

NOW - IF GB tags Flynn (Which I'm getting worried about since they signed Finley) then all bets are off. We then: Should go hard for Manning.

(Unless we give up 2nd round or later picks, but even then not so sure)

Risky move for GB to tag Flynn though. He'll be worth more then Rodgers is paid if they can't trade him. Plus they would recieve a conditional pick anyway for losing him. They are close to cap already. They might not even use the tag.

So for me:

Choice#1 - Flynn for whatever $$$ it takes with a smart contract

Choice#2 - (If Flynn is tagged) - Try for P. Manning for whatever $$$ it takes with a smart contract

Choice#3 - Go for Flynn, but don't give up more then a 2nd and late pick.

Choice#4 - Draft QB in 2nd round. Study well. HOPE he's you're guy of the future.

Choice#5 - Draft QB later (And expect to be looking for QB again next year - Roll with T. Jackson)

Choice#6 - Draft QB in the 1st. Scary thought although I have not studied in detail yet. (I say move up to #2 instead)

T Jax should be in the conversation as far as a competition to see who starts this year. He wasn't that bad last year.

Ladies and gentlemen...Taaaaavarrrriiis Jackson!

Seriously, "not that bad" isn't going to cut it. Seahawks need a QB.

If Flynn is an UFA, you go and get him. If Manning is available and willing to play in Seattle (unlikely), you go and get him. If Charlie Whitehurt is available...wait, no. :doh:

Ladies and gentlemen...Taaaaavarrrriiis Jackson!

Seriously, "not that bad" isn't going to cut it. Seahawks need a QB.

If Flynn is an UFA, you go and get him. If Manning is available and willing to play in Seattle (unlikely), you go and get him. If Charlie Whitehurt is available...wait, no. :doh:

The QB draft looks more talented and deeper next year than this upcoming draft. Luck, Griffin, and then a whole bunch of suck. So, you can try to overpay for an old guy with a broken neck in Manning or a bidding war for an unproven QB who sucked in college in Flynn. This front office isn't going to overpay for anybody, and thankfully haven't panicked in getting a QB. They seem to have learned their lesson with their one major misstep: Charlie Whitehurst.

The QB draft looks more talented and deeper next year than this upcoming draft. Luck, Griffin, and then a whole bunch of suck. So, you can try to overpay for an old guy with a broken neck in Manning or a bidding war for an unproven QB who sucked in college in Flynn. This front office isn't going to overpay for anybody, and thankfully haven't panicked in getting a QB. They seem to have learned their lesson with their one major misstep: Charlie Whitehurst.

How much would you give up to trade up for Griffin? Word is it will take at least a couple of firsts and a couple other decent picks. Probably a little more for Seattle since they aren't in the top ten. Do you even consider that move?

How much would you give up to trade up for Griffin? Word is it will take at least a couple of firsts and a couple other decent picks. Probably a little more for Seattle since they aren't in the top ten. Do you even consider that move?

Under no circumstances would I trade up and give up that draft capital for Griffin.

Under no circumstances would I trade up and give up that draft capital for Griffin.

Yeah I agree, he's to expensive... Talk about you're bidding war. We would have to give up way to much!

I don't think Flynn would be near the bidding war as Griffin, plus were not talking about picks at this stage for him. Just money. And hopefully Manning will command the #1 status even for free agency QB over Flynn.

Yeah I agree, he's to expensive... Talk about you're bidding war. We would have to give up way to much!

I don't think Flynn would be near the bidding war as Griffin, plus were not talking about picks at this stage for him. Just money. And hopefully Manning will command the #1 status even for free agency QB over Flynn.

Green Bay will try to do a sign and trade. Might take a 3rd round pick for that, plus the contract for Flynn. Who will be in that bidding war? Not sure yet, but the front office will not overpay. They would drop out early. I won't put all your eggs in the Flynn basket; I think they go in another direction.

Seattle is in a pickle right now, because it is thin @ QB. I'm not sold on Flynn, he's a product of that system and isn't gonna fit like that anywhere else. Peyton isn't an option IMO, as I still believe we've seen the last of the Peyton Manning we're used to. You can't mortgage the rest of the team for Griffin @ QB, despite his immense talent and athleticism.

I honestly think the best course of action is to go with Tavarris and draft Brandon Wheeden, who I think is the 3rd best QB of this years picks. Then let Wheeden come in and compete against Tavarris for the starting job. Yeah, he's 29 yrs old, but he's a young 29, is mature, smart and will pick up the NFL game quickly. He's not an elite QB but if he can be a middle 15 NFL QB for 5-6 years it's enough to let the Seahawks build other areas.

Seattle is in a pickle right now, because it is thin @ QB. I'm not sold on Flynn, he's a product of that system and isn't gonna fit like that anywhere else. Peyton isn't an option IMO, as I still believe we've seen the last of the Peyton Manning we're used to. You can't mortgage the rest of the team for Griffin @ QB, despite his immense talent and athleticism.

I honestly think the best course of action is to go with Tavarris and draft Brandon Wheeden, who I think is the 3rd best QB of this years picks. Then let Wheeden come in and compete against Tavarris for the starting job. Yeah, he's 29 yrs old, but he's a young 29, is mature, smart and will pick up the NFL game quickly. He's not an elite QB but if he can be a middle 15 NFL QB for 5-6 years it's enough to let the Seahawks build other areas.

I like Wheeden. I'm not as worried about his age as others, as I think his maturity could help him in reading defenses better at the next level and he might be more game ready than some 21 year old kid coming out early. Although, he would need to adjust to a non spread offense and going under center.

Seattle's best choice for QB (and I'll cede that TJ was okay by the end of the season) might be to consider going after whoever gets cut to make room for Manning. Obviously, there are some outlandish scenarios (Manning goes to Cleveland) in which this isn't true, but there's no way Manning goes to Cleveland.

Green Bay will try to do a sign and trade. Might take a 3rd round pick for that, plus the contract for Flynn. Who will be in that bidding war? Not sure yet, but the front office will not overpay. They would drop out early. I won't put all your eggs in the Flynn basket; I think they go in another direction.

I probably am somewhat putting allot of my eggs in the Flynn basket, but that's because their is not allot of options for us and I think he's a good option. He is the one we have a really good shot at. With the 2 top rookies that we can't get and P. Manning floating around, then maybe we can land option 4 per say. Plus only a handful of teams need a QB this year and we are far under the cap. I think we have a good shot IF we want him. And I know T. Jackson is not the answer!

Who's to say next year we will have any better options? We could have a worse draft pick even if our team keeps getting better.

How long are we going to keep putting off getting our QB? Going with T. Jackson for 2 years will be a mistake.

Also,

GB "might" do a sign and trade. You're just guessing though. At this point, he might just be a guy we can sign outright. As it sits right now, he will become a free agent.

But, if it only takes a 3rd I would still do that easily. I think they get a 3rd regardless if he does well as lost compensation though.

I'm sure they ask for a 2nd or more if they decided to trade/Tag him.

A 3rd is a whole lot less then what we gave to get Whitehurst though.

I don't think we should be "scared" to make a move similar to the Whitehurst situation. Flynn is nothing like him in my view. Whitehurst was a mistake and everybody new it pretty much. They guy was almost 30 and did NOTHING. We gave up a ton!

But right now, I'm only talking about just signing the guy. Not giving up draft picks. I don't believe they own his rights unless they tag him do they?

As it sits right now, we can simply sign him. That is my point and my hype for FLynn.

If it takes draft picks then we should not maybe do it. Depends on what it takes I guess. Until that point, I'll be hyping the Flynn train. :)

I don't agree at all!!!!

No way do I want Wheeden who is older then half the QB's in the league. Maybe somebody else.

Rolling with T. Jackson just sounds bad to me, but if they draft the right rookie then maybe this is what we HAVE to do.

I think you're wrong about Flynn. I don't think he's just a product of the system. You don't just come in against a playoff team and throw 6 TD's. And they were not dink and dunks where the wides took it to the house. He went deep, etc.

This is not a Kolb or Whitehurst guy. Possibly a Shaub or Hass, but I think maybe better.

Besides - Lets give him a system like GB then he will succeed right? He's proven he can do it. He's young. Learned from the best.

How do people look at Flynn and not see the second coming of Kolb? He's a QB who has a remarkably small body of work who is being sold high. There's a chance that Flynn is a top-32 QB and should be a starter on some team, but there's absolutely no evidence that he's franchise level. Assuming he gets tagged, you're paying him at franchise QB-level. That's nuts.

The Seahawks are clearly building their team with a plan, and the QB seems to be one of the last pieces they will address. Last year, the offensive line, the running game, the defensive backfield were overhauled and vastly improved. The WRs got much better. Now, the needs remain: the defensive line, fill out the LBs core, and find a QB.

If the team is ready to contend this year, or following the schedule of the 4 year plan when Carroll and Schneider were hired, next year, you could always find a veteran QB to plug in from around the league, and there are always veterans available every offseason, and still work on developing a young guy. Have we also forgotten about Josh Portis, who showed me a lot as the 3rd guy last year in preseason? Maybe the QB of the future is already on the roster.

Portis played with a lot of confidence and didn't let his own mistakes rattle him during the preseason. He's got the physical ability. I look forward to seeing how he's progressed this August.

I don't agree at all!!!!

No way do I want Wheeden who is older then half the QB's in the league. Maybe somebody else.

Rolling with T. Jackson just sounds bad to me, but if they draft the right rookie then maybe this is what we HAVE to do.

I think you're wrong about Flynn. I don't think he's just a product of the system. You don't just come in against a playoff team and throw 6 TD's. And they were not dink and dunks where the wides took it to the house. He went deep, etc.

This is not a Kolb or Whitehurst guy. Possibly a Shaub or Hass, but I think maybe better.

Besides - Lets give him a system like GB then he will succeed right? He's proven he can do it. He's young. Learned from the best.

Wheeden's age is a concern, but reality the reality is if he's decent to good, he's got at least 5 if not 7 years of career left. And in my mind, he's a better bet than anybody outside of Luck and RGIII in this draft, and is less of a risk than Flynn or Peyton Manning. At a likely 2nd round price (deflated because of concerns about his age) he's a low-risk, low-cost, high-upside pick. If I'm management I'm asking myself "Can he come in and potentially be in the same discussion as Tony Romo, Matt Schaub, Joe Flacco or those guys?" If the answer is yes, then you're likely in better position than ANY of those teams because of the cost of his contract and the fact you have about as much career left left in him as them (well, Flacco is younger, but not that much). I don't need 15 years of QB, I need a 5 year run to try and get the rest of my team up to shape to make playoff runs.

How do people look at Flynn and not see the second coming of Kolb? He's a QB who has a remarkably small body of work who is being sold high. There's a chance that Flynn is a top-32 QB and should be a starter on some team, but there's absolutely no evidence that he's franchise level. Assuming he gets tagged, you're paying him at franchise QB-level. That's nuts.

This is exactly how I view it. Kolb looked pretty good in limited action in the Philly system he spent a significant amount of time learning and that was loaded with talent. Move him to a team with less talent on offense across the board and then everyone wonders why he struggles? I see Flynn breaking the same way.

Wheeden's age is a concern, but reality the reality is if he's decent to good, he's got at least 5 if not 7 years of career left. And in my mind, he's a better bet than anybody outside of Luck and RGIII in this draft, and is less of a risk than Flynn or Peyton Manning. At a likely 2nd round price (deflated because of concerns about his age) he's a low-risk, low-cost, high-upside pick. If I'm management I'm asking myself "Can he come in and potentially be in the same discussion as Tony Romo, Matt Schaub, Joe Flacco or those guys?" If the answer is yes, then you're likely in better position than ANY of those teams because of the cost of his contract and the fact you have about as much career left left in him as them (well, Flacco is younger, but not that much). I don't need 15 years of QB, I need a 5 year run to try and get the rest of my team up to shape to make playoff runs.

This is exactly how I view it. Kolb looked pretty good in limited action in the Philly system he spent a significant amount of time learning and that was loaded with talent. Move him to a team with less talent on offense across the board and then everyone wonders why he struggles? I see Flynn breaking the same way.

Kolb never really flourished on the Eagles though, he had like two good games, and if you were watching those games he rarely threw the ball more than fifteen yards down field and struggled to get the ball out of his hands in a timely fashion, also with a favorable system for a QB and multiple weapons.

Flynn's last two starts: 55/81 68% 731 9 TD 2 INT out dueling Tom Brady and Matt Stafford for victories.

Also Joe Flacco is terrible, that is all.

Kolb never really flourished on the Eagles though, he had like two good games, and if you were watching those games he rarely threw the ball more than fifteen yards down field and struggled to get the ball out of his hands in a timely fashion, also with a favorable system for a QB and multiple weapons.

Flynn's last two starts: 55/81 68% 731 9 TD 2 INT out dueling Tom Brady and Matt Stafford for victories.

Yeah, I agree with all this here....

Kolb's Int.'s were as high as his TD's thrown. Flynn's stats are much better and have got better as he's gotten more games in. To me, Kolb looked like he dinked and dunked it and let his playmakers bust out. Flynn makes plays.

Also, Kolb took a lot of sacks (Holding the ball to long) and gave up a good chunk of fumbles and lost yardage.

Seems to me Flynn had some good movement in the pocket.

When I watched them, it wasn't close. Kolb didn't know how to win a game and was basically a game mananger at best.

To where Flynn looks like a playmaker and leader.

Hard to say for sure - Otherwise it would be a no brainer right?

But, as of right now Flynn will not require picks like that of Kolb. If that changes, then we will have to see what it takes.

P.S.

If we take a rookie QB then we need a young one for many years. I don't see Wheeden that much better then any of the others.

I think Portis is a huge project. I like that we have a young guy to try and bring up, but I DID see him panick and flustered in preseason.

I'm not going to disagree, Kolb definitely morphed into Captain Checkdown and really benefitted from having McCoy there in Philly. However, I'll also point out that Flynn is playing in the Packers offense, and the two games you cited were against absolutely atrocious defenses. Again, I'll credit the system and use Matt Cassell as an example of what I definitely don't want to happen if I'm a fan of a team reportedly interested in Flynn. Cassell is a great comparison, because situation is very similar, especially if you factor in the Miami angle (former coord goes on become HC on another team and mortgages the farm for the backup QB from his prior team who looked great in the old system). That would be my worst fear, to buy into the hype of a guy who looked awesome in limited action on one of the most potent offenses in the league playing two of the worst defenses. And again, the cost difference for Flynn vs some like Wheeden (or Tannehill...who again I'm not big on) is tremendous. The Packers are talking about using the Franchise tag on Flynn, so he'll cost a 1st rounder AND will have the negotiating hammer of having a $14+ million dollar salary attached to him, even if it's only done strategically. Even if he isn't tagged, he's still likely at $7 million a year in salary for a starting QB, where even Andrew Luck won't earn that as the top draft pick this year, and a guy like Weeden (or Tannehill) will cost signficantly less. The new CBA has shifted the emphasis to drafting/building a team as the only way to control costs. As such, that's where I'd be focusing.

Edit: Also, yes...Flacco is terrible. But his team wins games and this year it wasn't all because of the defense. He overcame his personal demon in the Steelers and led them pretty deep into the playoffs and very nearly past New England. I think the Seahawks would take that kind of terrible, no?

I'm not going to disagree, Kolb definitely morphed into Captain Checkdown and really benefitted from having McCoy there in Philly. However, I'll also point out that Flynn is playing in the Packers offense, and the two games you cited were against absolutely atrocious defenses. Again, I'll credit the system and use Matt Cassell as an example of what I definitely don't want to happen if I'm a fan of a team reportedly interested in Flynn. Cassell is a great comparison, because situation is very similar, especially if you factor in the Miami angle (former coord goes on become HC on another team and mortgages the farm for the backup QB from his prior team who looked great in the old system). That would be my worst fear, to buy into the hype of a guy who looked awesome in limited action on one of the most potent offenses in the league playing two of the worst defenses. And again, the cost difference for Flynn vs some like Wheeden (or Tannehill...who again I'm not big on) is tremendous. The Packers are talking about using the Franchise tag on Flynn, so he'll cost a 1st rounder AND will have the negotiating hammer of having a $14+ million dollar salary attached to him, even if it's only done strategically. Even if he isn't tagged, he's still likely at $7 million a year in salary for a starting QB, where even Andrew Luck won't earn that as the top draft pick this year, and a guy like Weeden (or Tannehill) will cost signficantly less. The new CBA has shifted the emphasis to drafting/building a team as the only way to control costs. As such, that's where I'd be focusing.

Edit: Also, yes...Flacco is terrible. But his team wins games and this year it wasn't all because of the defense. He overcame his personal demon in the Steelers and led them pretty deep into the playoffs and very nearly past New England. I think the Seahawks would take that kind of terrible, no?

Some great points there..... "IF" GB tags him then I completely agree. The cost of a 1st rounder or whatever it takes would probably be way to high for the unproven Flynn.

I'm just not sure that GB will actually tag him though? And at 7 million a year that is not a killer at all if no draft picks are involved.

(Whitehurst was making over 4 million isn't he?)

Some good points though about building through the draft and how the rookies salries are so much lower now/Controled costs. I'm not against going the rookie route, but I'm not sure there's a franchise QB after the first two?

Matt Cassle did throw 27 TD's and 7 int.'s the year before this last one where he got hurt. Plus playoff run.

How about Shaub? Hass? Also, similar situations. All 4 (Including Kobb) took draft picks.

We'll see if Flynn is going to require draft picks also?

If so, that changes everything. We'll see.

Flacco isn't terrible, he's just been overrated due to playing a lot early and being a 1st round pick. He is what he is and isn't getting any better. He is better then Tavaris Jackson, but I'm hoping the guy management finally takes the plunge on has more upside.

Hey Seahawks fans, please learn how to spell your quarterback's name. It is Tarvaris. You guys make Panthers fans look smart. :thumbsdown:

Hey Seahawks fans, please learn how to spell your quarterback's name. It is Tarvaris. You guys make Panthers fans look smart. :thumbsdown:

Sounds to me like his mother is the one who really needs to learn how to spell Tavaris. :dunno:

The last couple mock drafts I've looked at has Kirk Cousins of Michigan State going to Seattle in the second round. Evidently he had a great performance at the combine as well as the Senior Bowl, so he might be the fourth QB off the board, after Tannehill but before Weeden or Osweiler. Any impressions of this guy?

My current prediction: the Seahawks take a Defensive Lineman and a Linebacker with the first two picks and the best quarterback on the board in round three.

Regardless of whether they sign a free agent QB, which I doubt at this point.

My current prediction: the Seahawks take a Defensive Lineman and a Linebacker with the first two picks and the best quarterback on the board in round three.

Regardless of whether they sign a free agent QB, which I doubt at this point.

I predict that they either go QB in rd2 or wait until rd5. Not much value in between.