Sign in to follow this  
Know Doubt

Is There A Doctor in the House...?

Finally got the details of my bill but don't know what these diagnosis involve.

As I mentioned before all they did was take my blood and hook my up to IV's and I guess a Heart moniter.

Here's the list:

"Renal Failure W CC

CMS wt 1.0523 A/LOS 5.2 G/LOS 4.2

Principle diagnosis

Acute kidney failure, unspecified

Present on admission: Y

Secondary Diagnosis

Bacterial enteritis, unspecified

Dehydration

P: Y

Unspecified Hyperlipidemia

Personal History of Renal thrombosis and embolism

Nephritis/hephropathy with lesion of membranous glomerulonephritis(this is what I've had for 6 years now).

Essential Hypertension, unspecified benigh or malignant(I've had this since the early 90s)

Principle Procedure

Electronic Monitering

Other Procedures

Electrocardiogram" (WTF?)

I'll be here if there's any question Doc, or Nurse or ???

So, less than 24 hours between ER and a night at the hospital and these total up to $13k...???

Any help would be great in understanding this.

Thx!

:cheers:

See what our health care system has turned into under Obama. :thumbsdown: This guy continues to impress. :rolleyes:

See what our health care system has turned into under Obama. :thumbsdown: This guy continues to impress. :rolleyes:

This was at an Air Force Base....???

This was at an Air Force Base....???

Exactly. Obama hates the troops. :banana:

Exactly. Obama hates the troops. :banana:

We're civilians working at the Base...???

ETA: Our Troops get all their healthcare free thru the Goverment.

We're civilians working at the Base...???

ETA: Our Troops get all their healthcare free thru the Goverment.

Know Doubt, milking the system. No wonder this country is on the brink of civil war. :banana:

Know Doubt, milking the system. No wonder this country is on the brink of civil war. :banana:

You've proved your point. Now it's getting old.

Now it's getting old.

I realize that, but I am still ocassionally making myself laugh, so I must carry on. :banana:

You've proved your point.

Care to clue me in on that, chief? :unsure:

And real Americans would find out about it if not for the libturd-controlled media. :mad: :wall: :mad:

And real Americans would find out about it if not for the libturd-controlled media. :mad: :wall: :mad:

Jews :thumbsdown:

Finally got the details of my bill but don't know what these diagnosis involve.

As I mentioned before all they did was take my blood and hook my up to IV's and I guess a Heart moniter.

Here's the list:

"Renal Failure W CC

CMS wt 1.0523 A/LOS 5.2 G/LOS 4.2

Principle diagnosis

Acute kidney failure, unspecified

Secondary Diagnosis

Bacterial enteritis, unspecified

Dehydration

Unspecified Hyperlipidemia

Personal History of Renal thrombosis and embolism

Nephritis/hephropathy with lesion of membranous glomerulonephritis(this is what I've had for 6 years now).

Essential Hypertension, unspecified benigh or malignant(I've had this since the early 90s)

Principle Procedure

Electronic Monitering

Other Procedures

Electrocardiogram" (WTF?)

I'll be here if there's any question Doc, or Nurse or ???

So, less than 24 hours between ER and a night at the hospital and these total up to $13k...???

Any help would be great in understanding this.

Thx!

You had diarrhea. And your kidney function was temporarily impaired - this will happen to anyone with severe enough volume loss. Because you have a history of kidney disease, the possibility that this was complicated kidney failure from other causes (like your glomerulonephritis or uncontrolled hypertension), as opposed to easily reversible dehydration, increased. As a result you may have had unnecessary tests including cardiac monitoring/EKG (unless your potassium level was really abnormal) and automatically qualified for billing as a high complexity diagnosis - read more $$$. All this is true even though you probably could have been given a couple liters of IV saline right away, rechecked your labs, and sent home if you could eat/drink enough to keep up with your diarrheal losses.

ERs do a lot of tests automatically, including EKGs and bloodwork on just about everybody. Part of this is defensive medicine as not to "miss" anything, another part is expediting throughput. It is quicker to shotgun tests than methodically check one after another. Also hospitals are expensive. Insurance won't pay the full $13K, they'll pay maybe half, of which the ED doc and hospital doctor may get $500 or so.

I realize that, but I am still ocassionally making myself laugh, so I must carry on. :banana:

You really need to mix in more song lyric quotes with no discernible link to the topic at hand. HTH.

You really need to mix in more song lyric quotes with no discernible link to the topic at hand. HTH.

I know. In my defense I've been having problems at home. :banana:

Post of the month :first:

I know. In my defense I've been having problems at home. :banana:

Of course you have, your wife wears the pants in the family since you live off her pension.

Of course you have, your wife wears the pants in the family since you live off her pension.

:unsure: We have pants?

Stop eating too much taco bell, yes their new dorito taco supreme is incredible, but it gives you the shits, you gotta take it easy...

That will be 13k please, cash or charge?

You had diarrhea. And your kidney function was temporarily impaired - this will happen to anyone with severe enough volume loss. Because you have a history of kidney disease, the possibility that this was complicated kidney failure from other causes (like your glomerulonephritis or uncontrolled hypertension), as opposed to easily reversible dehydration, increased. As a result you may have had unnecessary tests including cardiac monitoring/EKG (unless your potassium level was really abnormal) and automatically qualified for billing as a high complexity diagnosis - read more $$$. All this is true even though you probably could have been given a couple liters of IV saline right away, rechecked your labs, and sent home if you could eat/drink enough to keep up with your diarrheal losses.

ERs do a lot of tests automatically, including EKGs and bloodwork on just about everybody. Part of this is defensive medicine as not to "miss" anything, another part is expediting throughput. It is quicker to shotgun tests than methodically check one after another. Also hospitals are expensive. Insurance won't pay the full $13K, they'll pay maybe half, of which the ED doc and hospital doctor may get $500 or so.

Thanks!

I don't remember getting an EKG though I mean, those require getting put up to a machine or going inside to get an MRI or like, correct???

All I did was lay in bed for 23 hours between ER and release the next day.

They probably over reacted for my safety since it was an AF hospital and God knows what if something went wrong beyond their control, they'd have to worry if I would sure or not, etc.

I'm cool with all this except for the EKG, I never had one of those and I can swear they would have had to take me out of my room/bed to do that.

IIRC an EKG isn't done at your bed, etc.

Thanks again!

I don't remember getting an EKG though I mean, those require getting put up to a machine or going inside to get an MRI or like, correct???

All I did was lay in bed for 23 hours between ER and release the next day.

They probably over reacted for my safety since it was an AF hospital and God knows what if something went wrong beyond their control, they'd have to worry if I would sure or not, etc.

I'm cool with all this except for the EKG, I never had one of those and I can swear they would have had to take me out of my room/bed to do that.

IIRC an EKG isn't done at your bed, etc.

Thanks again!

EKG = electrocardiogram, performed by placing 10 sticky white circles on your chest and connecting to twelve leads. It is a bedside procedure that shows a more detailed electrical tracing of your heart's activity than the ED monitor, which uses fewer leads. This test is used to diagnose arrhythmias and heart injury, including heart attacks. Chances are you had one; almost every adult who sets foot in an ED gets an EKG and labwork. In your case it was probably unnecessary, unless you had bad electrolyte abnormalities (esp. potassium) as a result of your reversible kidney injury.

And this has nothing to do with it being a military hospital; it is SOP at private EDs across the country. Admittedly, 13K sounds a little high. I was hospitalized less than 24 hours for leg surgery and was charged about the same, though our system charges more for procedures than medical diagnostics based on thought alone.

EKG = electrocardiogram, performed by placing 10 sticky white circles on your chest and connecting to twelve leads. It is a bedside procedure that shows a more detailed electrical tracing of your heart's activity than the ED monitor, which uses fewer leads. This test is used to diagnose arrhythmias and heart injury, including heart attacks. Chances are you had one; almost every adult who sets foot in an ED gets an EKG and labwork. In your case it was probably unnecessary, unless you had bad electrolyte abnormalities (esp. potassium) as a result of your reversible kidney injury.

And this has nothing to do with it being a military hospital; it is SOP at private EDs across the country. Admittedly, 13K sounds a little high. I was hospitalized less than 24 hours for leg surgery and was charged about the same, though our system charges more for procedures than medical diagnostics based on thought alone.

Thanks.