Sign in to follow this  
BunnysBastatrds

Softball/Baseball Question

Hey Bunny, back to the masks; the other pitcher from my younger daughter's team took a liner off her forehead the other night. Got away with just a concussion, but I guess it was pretty scary. I was the coach until my daughter got hurt. We always had a mask available, but neither her, nor her mother, had ever shown any interest in it. But now I guess her mother is raising some hell with the league because the mask we had wasn't quite up to snuff, even though I'm fairly certain her daughter never even tried it on.

It's funny how people's tunes change when their kid takes a liner off the noggin'. :doh:

Put your kid in a Rip-It. :thumbsup:

I'm going to take the high road. It's just amazing how some of these parents act at these games. I'm glad they don't sell beer at the games anymore. :thumbsup:

How does your league not have a rule in place for this. In ours, 2 hit batters and you're done for the game.

How does your league not have a rule in place for this. In ours, 2 hit batters and you're done for the game.

I hate that rule. Unless the ump judges that there was intent, it should be much higher, or unlimited. Hit batter rules teach the kids to aim the ball rather than throwing it hard, which is just the opposite of how you teach kids to pitch. Getting hit is part of the game and just another thing girls have to learn to deal with.

Hey Bunny, back to the masks; the other pitcher from my younger daughter's team took a liner off her forehead the other night. Got away with just a concussion, but I guess it was pretty scary. I was the coach until my daughter got hurt. We always had a mask available, but neither her, nor her mother, had ever shown any interest in it. But now I guess her mother is raising some hell with the league because the mask we had wasn't quite up to snuff, even though I'm fairly certain her daughter never even tried it on.

It's funny how people's tunes change when their kid takes a liner off the noggin'. :doh:

Put your kid in a Rip-It. :thumbsup:

I'm going to Academy this weekend and getting one for lil Bunny. She was practicing yesterday and one sailed right by her ear. I realized then she doesn't have the best reflexes and the mask would make me feel at ease. Even if she doesn't want it.

Thanks for the tip. :cheers:

Getting hit is part of the game and just another thing girls have to learn to deal with.

Along with having their periods and getting jizzed on. :banana:

They only had two pitchers. When the first girl hit three in the same inning, the ump pulled her out. The other pitcher wasn't much better. We win the game and the other team thinks we cheated.

Along with having their periods and getting jizzed on. :banana:

:middlefinger:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

They only had two pitchers. When the first girl hit three in the same inning, the ump pulled her out. The other pitcher wasn't much better. We win the game and the other team thinks we cheated.

Funny that we just discussed this. In 35 years of playing/coaching some form of baseball/softball, last night was the first time I've ever witnessed the same kid get drilled 3 times in one game...my daughter.

- 1st at bat...takes one straight to the thigh. Brutal shot that had her in tears.

- 2nd at bat...takes one to the face mask.

- 3rd at bat....walk

- 4th at bat...takes one to the butt cheek. This one was unfortunate, because she had just lined one foul down that left field line that would have won the game. Next girl whiffed.

She was catching too, so she was already taking a normal beating. That first one is gonna leave a serious mark.

Funny that we just discussed this. In 35 years of playing/coaching some form of baseball/softball, last night was the first time I've ever witnessed the same kid get drilled 3 times in one game...my daughter.

- 1st at bat...takes one straight to the thigh. Brutal shot that had her in tears.

- 3rd at bat....walk

- 4th at bat...takes one to the butt cheek. This one was unfortunate, because she had just lined one foul down that left field line that would have won the game. Next girl whiffed.

She was catching too, so she was already taking a normal beating. That first one is gonna leave a serious mark.

I can one up you here shovel; our high school team played a really bad team in a tourney this year. We ended up scoring twenty some runs in the first inning, without really trying honestly. Our clean up hitter, and catcher, came up three times in that inning and got hit all three times, then she got pulled from the game. :lol:

- 3rd at bat....walk

My oldest is absolutely tiny. He is about half the size of everyone else and really thin. If he turns sideways, you might miss him. He has been hit 3 times in a game multiple times. Not sure why it happens, but he gets hit in the feet all the time. I think that kids have a hard time hitting such a small strike zone that they hit him low all the time. :dunno:

- 3rd at bat....walk

I commend them for their courage to stand in there and keep doing it. Some of them girls are fearless.

My oldest is absolutely tiny. He is about half the size of everyone else and really thin. If he turns sideways, you might miss him. He has been hit 3 times in a game multiple times. Not sure why it happens, but he gets hit in the feet all the time. I think that kids have a hard time hitting such a small strike zone that they hit him low all the time. :dunno:

My daughter got hit in the same foot (left, her front) three times... in one game. I was coaching first, and after the first two I jokingly told her not to do it again. She phayled. :lol:

Got rained out. It may have rained for five minutes. Maybe. Liabilty issues are destroying the games. Blah!

So anyway since we're all bragging and im wide f0cking awake at 330 am, let me tell you about my youngest son.

The Little League both my sons played for is a biggish league (600 kids) that lately has been very successful at the District and State level. Since 2008, we've won18 District Championships, 6 State Championships and another 6 State Runner Ups in baseball and softball across three age groups (Coaches Pitch, Minors and Majors) . We've sent multiple teams to regional Tournaments of State Champions in West Virginia (10 YO's) and North Carolina (11 YO's), as well as the last two Majors State Champions to Warner Robins Georgia for the right to go to the LLWS in Williamsport. Last year we were one bad inning away from getting on ESPN.

What im saying is that this isnt some tiny 5 team league where making an AS team is pretty easy. The competition is fierce. The winning has brought in more and more talent from neighboring leagues. There are often kids who dont even make an AS team who would be starters for teams we've played.

Yesterday my son was named to our leagues Little League Intermediate All Star team. Not a huge accomplishment, in and of itself. The Intermediate league is LL's attempt at competing with Dixie Youth's Ozone (12/13 YO's, 50/70 field lead offs, balks, etc).The league had 2 teams, and 24 total participants. I guess you gotta start somewhere. If you read my post above you saw that we were talked into playing this league at the last minute, and then kind of abandoned by most of the other families, who went their own way with travel ball. No worries. We all do what we think is best.

Anyway, this is all my long winded attempt at explaining this. With his selection yesterday, my son became the only kid in that league's history to make 7 All Star teams. He has been selected every year since he was a 7 year old.

Now, this is largely a clerical distinction, as before this season, the most any kid could make was 6.And im sure there are plenty of kids who have gotten to 6. And he certainly isnt the most talented kid to ever play there. The 7 selections has got a lot of being in the right place at the right time. There were 4 other boys who could have achieved 7 selections with him, but they all chose other paths this spring. But for the time being anyway, my son is alone on top of that hill.

Just kind of neat.

God, reading this thread makes me sick about the fact that all we have here is soccer. Would have loved to coach ball locally but there is simply no LL anymore. The last time I coached was in Victoria BC in the mid 90s.

God, reading this thread makes me sick about the fact that all we have here is soccer. Would have loved to coach ball locally but there is simply no LL anymore. The last time I coached was in Victoria BC in the mid 90s.

Soccer is pretty cool too.

Soccer is pretty cool too.

Got nothing against it but I don't know enough about it to coach it.

The most fun I've ever had coaching was a women's softball team in the mid 80s. Our team was ridiculously strong to start with and coaching them just made them close to unbeatable. I think we lost 2 games in 2 years. Best thing is that instead of going for ice cream after games, we went for beerz.

Got nothing against it but I don't know enough about it to coach it.

The most fun I've ever had coaching was a women's softball team in the mid 80s. Our team was ridiculously strong to start with and coaching them just made them close to unbeatable. I think we lost 2 games in 2 years. Best thing is that instead of going for ice cream after games, we went for beerz.

Maybe you can do some internet coaching.....maybe some of the posters here will post up some vids of their kids

I coached my youngests soccer team for two seasons when he was 7-8. Basically it was like herding cats. We went 15-0-1 though.

So anyway since we're all bragging and im wide f0cking awake at 330 am, let me tell you about my youngest son.

The Little League both my sons played for is a biggish league (600 kids) that lately has been very successful at the District and State level. Since 2008, we've won18 District Championships, 6 State Championships and another 6 State Runner Ups in baseball and softball across three age groups (Coaches Pitch, Minors and Majors) . We've sent multiple teams to regional Tournaments of State Champions in West Virginia (10 YO's) and North Carolina (11 YO's), as well as the last two Majors State Champions to Warner Robins Georgia for the right to go to the LLWS in Williamsport. Last year we were one bad inning away from getting on ESPN.

What im saying is that this isnt some tiny 5 team league where making an AS team is pretty easy. The competition is fierce. The winning has brought in more and more talent from neighboring leagues. There are often kids who dont even make an AS team who would be starters for teams we've played.

Yesterday my son was named to our leagues Little League Intermediate All Star team. Not a huge accomplishment, in and of itself. The Intermediate league is LL's attempt at competing with Dixie Youth's Ozone (12/13 YO's, 50/70 field lead offs, balks, etc).The league had 2 teams, and 24 total participants. I guess you gotta start somewhere. If you read my post above you saw that we were talked into playing this league at the last minute, and then kind of abandoned by most of the other families, who went their own way with travel ball. No worries. We all do what we think is best.

Anyway, this is all my long winded attempt at explaining this. With his selection yesterday, my son became the only kid in that league's history to make 7 All Star teams. He has been selected every year since he was a 7 year old.

Now, this is largely a clerical distinction, as before this season, the most any kid could make was 6.And im sure there are plenty of kids who have gotten to 6. And he certainly isnt the most talented kid to ever play there. The 7 selections has got a lot of being in the right place at the right time. There were 4 other boys who could have achieved 7 selections with him, but they all chose other paths this spring. But for the time being anyway, my son is alone on top of that hill.

Just kind of neat.

:thumbsup:

Maybe you can do some internet coaching.....maybe some of the posters here will post up some vids of their kids

I coached my youngests soccer team for two seasons when he was 7-8. Basically it was like herding cats. We went 15-0-1 though.

Never played soccer but I love coaching it. Maybe even more than I love coaching baseball, which I have played and still play 30 games a year.

Watch some premier league and you can get the basics for coaching kids. It's all about maintaining spacing, controlling the ball and playing with pace. Do every drill at top speed.

So anyway, this year Little League International rolled out a new age division......the Intermediate Division. In this division games are played on a 50/70 diamond, and has lead offs, balks etc. I believe they started this to compete with other organizations like Dixie Youth's O-Zone and Cal Ripken that use this format. So our local league tries like hell to get enough kids to start this age group.

I'll just skip the clustf0ck that was the season and formation of the All Star team. Lets just say for a variety of reasons we didnt field the strongest AS team we could

Anyway, as we understood the rules, in the Intermediate division, batters had to use BBCOR bats. By definition BBCOR bats are all drop 3. We played all season and every batter in our league swung a BBCOR bat in every at bat. The AS team practiced for two weeks and every swing we took was with a BBCOR bat. So we show up for our first District game Saturday and are told that no, you can use any bat as long as its stamped with the 1.15 bpf.

Wait...what?

So anyway we play Saturday and only use BBCOR bats. We score 19 runs. No big deal.

So the game on Sunday was against a tougher opponent. So the team scrounged up a few non BBCOR bats. Did i mention that when th District Supervisor informed our coach that we didnt need to use BBCOR bats exclusively, and our manager asked for a list of illegal bats, the DS told him that there really wasnt one?I should have.....that ends up being important

So before the game Sunday, the umpire checks all equipment. He says its all fine.

So we play Sunday. The other team scores 5 in the first three innings, and we score 0.

In the bottom of the 3rd, one of our kids hits a HR.

In the bottom of the 4th we scratch out another run.

In the top of the 5th they score 2. They are now up 7-2

In the bottom of the 5th we score 2. 7-4.

Still in the bottom of 5 the same kid who hit the HR singles and drives in two more. 7-6

Now the opposing coach protests that his bat is illegal.

After like a 45 minute delay, and a phonecall to Little League International HQ, the bat is determined to be illegal. Our player who used the bat is called out, and ejected from the game. Our manager is tossed from the game also. The two baserunners that scored are sent back to where they started, wiping out their two runs. Our manager and player are suspended from todays game as well.

I should mention that we actually ended up tying the game at 7, and that our pitching and defense werent exactly stellar in the last two innings, and we lost 12-7.

Im not trying to say we lost because of the protest and ejections. We didnt. We had our chances, We didnt play well enough to win the game. Period.

Im just saying it was a giant clusterf0ck.

The rules on bats are a cluster anyway. It gets even worse in situations where you are playing against a different league (Cal Ripken, for example) as everyone has their own rules.

I think you got hosed southcarolina... BBCOR (-3) is a bit heavy for most kids up to 13, so they should be allowed to use BPF 1.15.

I think you got hosed southcarolina... BBCOR (-3) is a bit heavy for most kids up to 13, so they should be allowed to use BPF 1.15.

We were allowed to use BPF 1.15. I should have clarified....all ALUMINUM barrel bats with the 1.15 stamp are legal. Composite bats need to be waivered by LLI to be legal. The problem was that one of the non BBCOR bats we scrounged up was like this

http://www.justbats.com/product/demarini-cf5--dxcfr-senior-league/13539/?pa_source=justbats&pa_campaign=was&pa_medium=badges&pa_content=demarini-cf5--dxcfr-senior-league

Apparently it isnt waivered. If we had had a list of non waivered bats, we wouldnt have used it. If we had just stuck with our BBCOR bats we would have been fine. All but one of these kids has been swinging -3 bats exclusively for middle school ball since last fall. They are all used to them. I think sometimes people get too caught up in the lighter bats. For the younger kids, fine. Our team is all league age 13 year olds, 4 of whom are 6 feet tall or taller. One of them went to the plate twice yesterday with a 4 year old 31 inch 20 oz Lithium. Its just crazy. This kid has been smashing the ball for a month with his 33/30 BBCOR bat. Why change?

Oh and we were playing on a 225 foot field, so its not like we needed extra pop. Just hit a flyball and it was a HR.

F0ck. Im still agitated about this. Not that we lost, that now it looks like we were trying to cheat. F0cking Little Legue. I wish i had stuck with my gut and stayed away from the Intermediate nonsense from the very beginning.

District Champs, mofos.

Three nights, three elimination games, three come from behind wins.

Different kids coming up clutch each night.

Lil SC knocked in the go ahead run on Monday, the tying run last night, and fielded the last ground ball and touched first tonight. He played great.

Awesomest stretch of baseball ive ever watched.

The best part is that no one gave this team a chance. The team we beat Tuesday and Wednesday is new to our district. They were a big Dixie Youth league that had grown so big that they were being forced to split their league up. For some reason one half of that split decided to go with Little League instead of Dixie Youth. So they were sort of an unknown. In the days leading up to the tournament we started hearing through various grapevines that their Intermediate team was good. Really good. Hell the District Supervisor, our former League President, when asked how we would fare against these newcomers told our coach that we were "going to get our azz kicked".

Ive posted before how this team came to be what it was, how some families bailed on the All Star team at the last second.We got talked into playing at the last second with the promise of getting last years All Star team together for one last run. Then four permanent fixtures on our team decided to play straight travel ball this summer, and didnt even sign up for the league. Then four more decided to play straight travel ball a week before All Star selection. Then a fifth kid's family decided to go on a 4 week vacation right in the middle of All Stars. Then, literally two hours before our first AS practice a 10th kid dropped out because the tournaments conflicted with wrestling. That left two kids from last years State Championship team.

So from a league that only had 24 total participants, and 6 of its best kids doing other things, we had to choose 10 of the remaining 18 kids to form a team. Those six kids would have likely been our starting 2b, SS 3b, CF and RF, plus a Swiss Army knife of a kid that could literally play all 8 field positions competently. All of the first five of these kids would have seen copious time on the mound. What was left over four kids whose primary position was first base. A weak hitting but blazing fast outfielder. A couple of utility infielders. A kid playing his second year of baseball ever, who struggled all season with things like getting picked off about 80% of the time he was on base, and catching fly balls. We had three kids with catching experience, but our pitching was inconsistent. We had some kids who could hit a baseball a long way, but not a lot of team speed. Individually, every kid on our team had strengths, but most had some weaknesses too.. But we were going to have some thin areas. Pitching. Middle infield. Roster depth. Only having 10 kids on the roster doesnt leave any room for error. A couple of late bloomers, a kid still adjusting to his latest growth spurt that had him already 6'2". A couple of good solid baseball players that never made an All Star team before having the misfortune of being the same league age as a group of historically (for our league) talented kids. Our team was the stereotypical movie cliche...a band of rogues and misfits and overlooked kids. We were the Bad News Bears.

So to say that many people didnt give us much of a chance would be an understatement. But this team has one thing that you cant see from the outside. It has heart. Every kid contributed. Even the kid new to baseball. Last night, while every fan on our side held their breath, they used him as a pinch runner for the first time in 5 games. And when the pick off throw came in, he dove back to the base, safely. Then he took third on a passed ball. Then after a second pitch got by the catcher, he slid under the tag and scored the game tying run.

On talent alone, the best team didnt win last night. The other team had an abundance of pitching. They kept rolling out flamethrower after flamethrower, and our kids kept grinding out at bats. Made them work for every single out. The other team kept punching our team in the mouth, scorching line drives all over the ballpark. Our team kept getting up off the mat, limiting the damage, making plays when they needed to be made. They kept fighting back. By the last inning of last nights game, you could just see it in the other teams eyes. They were Ivan Drago from Rocky 4....they just knew no matter what they did, they couldnt beat us.

No one gave us a chance. These ten boys had every reason to fold up and call it a day. But you cant measure heart. You can only witness it when the game is on the line.

District Champs, mofos.

Lil SC knocked in the go ahead run on Monday, the tying run last night, and fielded the last ground ball and touched first tonight. He played great.

Great job SC!! Summer baseball is fun. On to State tournament now??

Great job SC!! Summer baseball is fun. On to State tournament now??

Yes. On to Summerville SC, home of John McKissick the winningest high school football coach evar.

Here is rules question. Runner is at first base. Ball is hit up the middle. The SS is ranging behind the bag at 2nd to field ball when it strikes 2nd base and then deflects into the runner from 1st going to 2nd. Both runners reach base without being forced or tagged.

What is the ruling?

Here is rules question. Runner is at first base. Ball is hit up the middle. The SS is ranging behind the bag at 2nd to field ball when it strikes 2nd base and then deflects into the runner from 1st going to 2nd. Both runners reach base without being forced or tagged.

What is the ruling?

Both base runners safe.

Runner on third. Two outs. On the pitch, the baserunner tries to steal home. Just before the runner slides into home, the right handed batter puts the ball in play, a clean single up the middle. After swinging, the batter and baserunner get tangled up, and the batter has to disengage from the baserunner before running to first. Meanwhile the centerfielder has fielded the ball and throws to first, nipping the batter by a couple of steps. Does the run count?

This actually happened Tuesday night, except the batter beat the throw to first. But it got me thinking.....

Only one that you were caught with. Heck Bonds wasn't even caught that red-handed.

Everyone does it. We were just the ones caught.

Both base runners safe.

Runner on third. Two outs. On the pitch, the baserunner tries to steal home. Just before the runner slides into home, the right handed batter puts the ball in play, a clean single up the middle. After swinging, the batter and baserunner get tangled up, and the batter has to disengage from the baserunner before running to first. Meanwhile the centerfielder has fielded the ball and throws to first, nipping the batter by a couple of steps. Does the run count?

This actually happened Tuesday night, except the batter beat the throw to first. But it got me thinking.....

On your question, the run does not count. It would only have counted if batter had made it to first safely. This happens sometimes when you have a fast runner at 3rd and a slow batter. It happened on Saturday in a district game. The runner and batter did not get tangled, but the runner from 3rd scored and the batter was thrown out from right field on what had appeared to be a single.

On the answer to my question, I am not sure about that. According to MLB rule 7.08, a runner is out if

(f) He is touched by a fair ball in fair territory before the ball has touched or passed an infielder. The ball is dead and no runner may score, nor runners advance, except runners forced to advance. EXCEPTION: If a runner is touching his base when touched by an Infield Fly, he is not out, although the batter is out;

The ball did not pass an infielder yet since he was behind the bag. :dunno: This came up because I was watching the Red Sox game last night and there was a ball that deflected off 2nd base. No runner was hit, but we were talking about the "what if" scenario. I am still not convinced either way.

On your question, the run does not count. It would only have counted if batter had made it to first safely. This happens sometimes when you have a fast runner at 3rd and a slow batter. It happened on Saturday in a district game. The runner and batter did not get tangled, but the runner from 3rd scored and the batter was thrown out from right field on what had appeared to be a single.

On the answer to my question, I am not sure about that. According to MLB rule 7.08, a runner is out if

The ball did not pass an infielder yet since he was behind the bag. :dunno: This came up because I was watching the Red Sox game last night and there was a ball that deflected off 2nd base. No runner was hit, but we were talking about the "what if" scenario. I am still not convinced either way.

Yeah i figured the batter in my scenario would be out.

In yours....i dont know. I was mostly just guessing. But now that i think about it, the base is considered to be just part of the field. So maybe the runner would be out. :dunno:

District Champs, mofos.

:thumbsup:

Daily trivia (NCAA): Runners on 2nd and 3rd, 2 outs. The batter strikes out, but strike 3 gets past the catcher. The runner from 3rd scores, and the runner from 2nd rounds 3rd and is tagged out at the plate. The batter made no attempt to run to 1st (just stood on the dirt), so the defense then throws to 1st and tags the base there. Does the run score?