Sign in to follow this  
jtimko

Picking from the rear.

I have the last pick in both my 10 & 12 man leagues this year. Others who are in this spot- Who are you targeting for picks 1 and 2?

My thinking

Mathews - A no brainer (probably won't be there though)

Andre Johnson - I hate taking WRs so early. Lots of value in the middle.

Mcfadden - I probably end up taking him. He's a beast (make sure to handcuff!)

Brady or Stafford - Both are safe bets to put up solid numbers.

Lynch or Forte - More downside than upside imo.

AP - Could move up depending on how his rehab is going.

It looks like probably Mcfadden and a top QB for me, unless Mathews falls. Thoughts?

I have the last pick in both my 10 & 12 man leagues this year. Others who are in this spot- Who are you targeting for picks 1 and 2?

My thinking

Andre Johnson - I hate taking WRs so early. Lots of value in the middle.

Mcfadden - I probably end up taking him. He's a beast (make sure to handcuff!)

Brady or Stafford - Both are safe bets to put up solid numbers.

Lynch or Forte - More downside than upside imo.

AP - Could move up depending on how his rehab is going.

It looks like probably Mcfadden and a top QB for me, unless Mathews falls. Thoughts?

From that list, I'd probably go with McFadden & Brady. (I agree with you that Mathews will likely be gone by then and AP is too risky, unless he's moving really, really, really well in rehab.) With McFadden, I'd make sure to grab a good RB in the 3rd/4th turn, as well as his backup later in the draft, so that you've got some insurance for WHEN he gets hurt this season. If you're lucky, McFadden's inevitable injury will only be minor (maybe a couple games), rather than last season's constant frustration. Brady, to me, is about as safe a pick as they come in FF, which should also help off-set the risk with picking McFadden.

:dunno:

i can't imaging mathews dropping past 7. on the flip side, i can't see stafford going before 2.02, especially with so many risk-friendly drafters having been burned by taking vick high last year. i think the "deep pool" label this year is going to be attached primarily to QBs.

i dunno--i normally like drafting at the turn, but it makes me really uncomfortable this year. then again, i haven't been mocking, so that's just emotion talking right now. need to sit down and start homework.

My thinking

I too am drafting from the hole in a new start-up Dynasty. I speculate that Matthews will not be available, simply due to his potential and youth.

He'll go 1.07 to 1.11, I figure.

McFadden and AP will be there. Murray will be there, as will Charles.

You could take Gronk or Graham. Problem is RB #2...because coming back into 3.12 or 4.01, very likely there will be no startable RB#2's remaining.

I think i would go Richardson before near everyone you mentioned. The kid is getting sick hype and seems ready to do well. Mcfadden is great when healthy... I'm not one to normally tag guys as 'injury risks' because everyone in the league risks death each week, but I would pass on McFadden and just kick myself week 12 if he's still running. Andre also approaches 'injury' guy to me with his history,age and depth at WR- I mean he always seems a lock for 1300yds but his lack of TDs makes me look to 20 other guys I could talk myself into being top 10 wr's. Lynch could be good?? but I'm not excited about him personally. Forte scares the shice outta me and I would no way grab him at the first turn... maybe the second turn. So i think Richardson if he's there would be solid. He seems to be drafting there.

I too am drafting from the hole in a new start-up Dynasty. I speculate that Matthews will not be available, simply due to his potential and youth.

I pick at 11.. and no he will not be there for you.. :wave:

Matthews and Brady are a dream. McFadden probably wont be there either. You're looking at Lynch, AP, Forte, Murray, Brees, Richardson, AJ, Fitz and Stafford.

Thanks for the feedback, although the Trent Richardson hype has me a little confused. I could see him as a sleeper and maybe a RB2, but as a first round pick??? Seems like a pretty big gamble on a rookie. I'd rank him somewhere just behind Sproles. Maybe you guys just have bigger balls than me...

I think i would go Richardson before near everyone you mentioned. The kid is getting sick hype and seems ready to do well. Mcfadden is great when healthy... I'm not one to normally tag guys as 'injury risks' because everyone in the league risks death each week, but I would pass on McFadden and just kick myself week 12 if he's still running. Andre also approaches 'injury' guy to me with his history,age and depth at WR- I mean he always seems a lock for 1300yds but his lack of TDs makes me look to 20 other guys I could talk myself into being top 10 wr's. Lynch could be good?? but I'm not excited about him personally. Forte scares the shice outta me and I would no way grab him at the first turn... maybe the second turn. So i think Richardson if he's there would be solid. He seems to be drafting there.

quiet bro... Richardson is top five for me...

Just completed a new Dynasty league draft and I was in the 10 hole in a 12 team league so not sure if this helps you that much, but you can take a look at the 30 round draft we just completed...

My team is Ball Crushers.

http://football30.my...ns?L=77776&O=17

and I agree with Jdon... TR is a major steal and being undervalued., I took him on the turn with my second pick and Im overjoyed to have him as my RB2...... take him higher than you would have taken ADP his rookie season,,, just some advice.

Just more added incentive for the TR love fest early.... if your league championship is week 16 which is most leagues format,, TR only has to face the Steelers D once, since they play them in week 17.

:headbanger:

Just completed a new Dynasty league draft and I was in the 10 hole in a 12 team league so not sure if this helps you that much, but you can take a look at the 30 round draft we just completed...

My team is Ball Crushers.

http://football30.my...ns?L=77776&O=17

and I agree with Jdon... TR is a major steal and being undervalued., I took him on the turn with my second pick and Im overjoyed to have him as my RB2...... take him higher than you would have taken ADP his rookie season,,, just some advice.

Just more added incentive for the TR love fest early.... if your league championship is week 16 which is most leagues format,, TR only has to face the Steelers D once, since they play them in week 17.

:headbanger:

Dallas fans?

Unless a RB you really like slips, I am leaning towards QB/WR or WR/WR this year from late position in snake drafts. I am leaning towards QB/WR if a Brady/Rodgers/Brees is available. The point would be to get elite top 3 positional advantage at another position other than RB. Your going to end up chasing at RB anyways this strategy attempts to put some heat on other positions and hopefully start a run at QB or WR. This would be the best possible scenario and some late round 2 and 3 RB's might slip to you on the next turn.

It's risky and depends on how good the other drafters are, are they casual or hardcore? If you employ this strategy its going to require some risky mid round RB picks and a lot of them, say 3-4 picks from rounds 2-7 all on RB's.

I am fairly skeptical of rookies myself so I have a hard time justifying a round 1 or 2 selection on Richardson, these are the Browns we are talking about here. What exactly is everyone expecting out of this offense? I am thinking 1000yds, 20 catches and another 200yds with maybe 7TD's would be the ceiling here. Even if Richardson starts off on fire, they have no one at WR, he may have a couple of great weeks early but it wont take long before he starts seeing 8 in the box and they dare the Browns to beat them on the outside. Colt/Weeden is not scaring anyone in the NFL, I think Richardson is actually kind of going to be screwed for at least another year. Shades of Steven Jackson, poor kid. :shocking: Don't forget rookies and especially rookie RB's really taper off hard after 12 games, just in time for the final push for the playoffs and the championship.

For my money I would rather spend a 4th rounder on Martin in TB at least that offense has some WR's, some talent on the O-line and a young QB who at least has shown flashes of greatness.

Picking from the rear. Thoughts?

I would advise against it. It is frowned upon in polite circles. Especially in public.

I would advise against it. It is frowned upon in polite circles. Especially in public.

Not if your in the rear of the line and nobodys looking.

Unless a RB you really like slips, I am leaning towards QB/WR or WR/WR this year from late position in snake drafts. I am leaning towards QB/WR if a Brady/Rodgers/Brees is available. The point would be to get elite top 3 positional advantage at another position other than RB. Your going to end up chasing at RB anyways this strategy attempts to put some heat on other positions and hopefully start a run at QB or WR. This would be the best possible scenario and some late round 2 and 3 RB's might slip to you on the next turn.

It's risky and depends on how good the other drafters are, are they casual or hardcore? If you employ this strategy its going to require some risky mid round RB picks and a lot of them, say 3-4 picks from rounds 2-7 all on RB's.

I am fairly skeptical of rookies myself so I have a hard time justifying a round 1 or 2 selection on Richardson, these are the Browns we are talking about here. What exactly is everyone expecting out of this offense? I am thinking 1000yds, 20 catches and another 200yds with maybe 7TD's would be the ceiling here. Even if Richardson starts off on fire, they have no one at WR, he may have a couple of great weeks early but it wont take long before he starts seeing 8 in the box and they dare the Browns to beat them on the outside. Colt/Weeden is not scaring anyone in the NFL, I think Richardson is actually kind of going to be screwed for at least another year. Shades of Steven Jackson, poor kid. :shocking: Don't forget rookies and especially rookie RB's really taper off hard after 12 games, just in time for the final push for the playoffs and the championship.

For my money I would rather spend a 4th rounder on Martin in TB at least that offense has some WR's, some talent on the O-line and a young QB who at least has shown flashes of greatness.

Good points and def a way to go. I mean after rice,mccoy,foster,CJ, Matthews I can have doubts about near every other RB. I think there is more vg depth at QB and dont personally feel compelled to get AR brady or Brees, but it is reasonable. WR's seem strong and deep too so Beyond Calvin I dont see anyone I think is close that i would use a first turn pick to get. If I were to wait til rd 3-4 for RBs then I think you could justify Graham or Gronk to gain advantage as Noob is saying.

Based on FFcalculator sites draft grid, then if u wait til 3-4 turn to get 2 rbs you would be looking at getting 2 of Gore,Martin,BGE,Bush, Redman,Helu, Wells. And if there were to be a wr run in the draft maybe Turner or Sproles is there. I guess I could live with that if I had Brees/Brady and Graham/Gronk. But then WRs are rds 5-6 which would hurt.I guess Fitzgerald and Andre in the first turn could offset that- get a QB later, but Fitzs QB and Andre injuries and lack of TDs dont make him sexier to me than say Lynch,maybe Murray,Trent and a couple other guys going in the second rd.

I think at the turn I would have to grab at least 1 RB, but that advice and $12 geets you a case of beer. ??

I will never draft McFadden again. Yes he is a beast and yes he will light it up - enjoy the 6 weeks you have him and he does this. The rest of the time he will be hurt.