Sign in to follow this  
420allstars

FFT Zealots Dynasty start-up draft

I will pose this question to FFToday like I did on our league site.

So who the eff was the biggest steal of the draft? Who the eff was the biggest reach of the draft? Please do not count anyone on your own team. Try to target a player on someone else's team. On a scale of 1-10 how much fun did you have during the marathon draft? What would you do differently for next year? I assume there will be a few that want to consider making it mandatory to hold a kicker on your team for no reason for 3 months. Suggestions welcome from people not included in the league for what we could do different next year. Live draft anyone? Probably not feasible but would be fun.

I think based on the scoring format, several TE's will end up being "steals." Antonio Gates, even at age 32, is pretty nice in the 7th round of a league that gives 0.15 points to TE's. Aaron Hernandez in the 5th round was great value, because he is still young, and in my opinion the top PPR TE after Graham and Gronk.

Outside of the TE's, the biggest steal in my opinion is Percy Harvin in the 4th round. He's only 24 and a top 10 PPR WR in my opinion. I can't believe he fell in to the 4th round.

The biggest reaches I've mentioned a few already in RG3 and Doug Martin. I'd also add BJGE and Redman in the 4th round.

I think the 3 best 'steals' of the draft were:

1- Julio Jones @20

2- David Wilson @93

3- Jake Locker @118

I don't think any first-round pick can be considered a steal, but Jimmy Graham at #6 in this format was a brilliant, gutsy call (FBN, don't EVER expect a compliment again!) :)

I'm sure my own pick of RGIII at #47 will win the vote for biggest reaches (though definitely not by me - no regrets and I would gladly do it again).

Many people look at the pick v. ADP, but you really have to look at it in the context of how long until your next pick. If someone on either end of the draft likes a player, they really have to value that player as compared to their next pick, which may be 20-21 positions lower. I also am hesitant to judge my fellow compadres, so rather than say "reach," I will say the picks that went considerably higher than where I had them valued:

1- D. Sproles @31 (I know I'm way in the minority here)

2- I. Redman @48

3- C. Palmer @89

4- Raiders defense as the 10th defense off the board

Basically, just really surprised at the homer picks by Bonkbonk (5 Oakland players on his roster!) :)

All in all, it was very evident to me that my competitors in this league are VERY knowledgeable, as it felt like not a single player was allowed to slide down the board (What's that saying, "if you can't spot the sucker in the room in the first 20 minutes, then YOU are the sucker? :) I think I'm gonna be fodder for these guys!

I think the 3 best 'steals' of the draft were:

1- Julio Jones @20

2- David Wilson @93

3- Jake Locker @118

I don't think any first-round pick can be considered a steal, but Jimmy Graham at #6 in this format was a brilliant, gutsy call (FBN, don't EVER expect a compliment again!) :)

I'm sure my own pick of RGIII at #47 will win the vote for biggest reaches (though definitely not by me - no regrets and I would gladly do it again).

Many people look at the pick v. ADP, but you really have to look at it in the context of how long until your next pick. If someone on either end of the draft likes a player, they really have to value that player as compared to their next pick, which may be 20-21 positions lower. I also am hesitant to judge my fellow compadres, so rather than say "reach," I will say the picks that went considerably higher than where I had them valued:

1- D. Sproles @31 (I know I'm way in the minority here)

2- I. Redman @48

3- C. Palmer @89

4- Raiders defense as the 10th defense off the board

Basically, just really surprised at the homer picks by Bonkbonk (5 Oakland players on his roster!) :)

All in all, it was very evident to me that my competitors in this league are VERY knowledgeable, as it felt like not a single player was allowed to slide down the board (What's that saying, "if you can't spot the sucker in the room in the first 20 minutes, then YOU are the sucker? :) I think I'm gonna be fodder for these guys!

Well I appreciate the compliment. I got just a tad bit nervous about the Brees situation.

I am going to go with my biggest steals as

Julio @ 2.08

Percy at 4.04

Rivers at 6.11

Torrey Smith at 6.01

The biggest reacharnds

Redman at 4.12

Dough Martin at 2.10

AJ Green at 2.06

Frank Gore at 3.10

BGE at 4.08

The Gore pick is a prime example of VBD and BPA. Yes rb are getting thin at this point and you want to make sure you have guys who can compete. But there were soooo many good young options at wr that I would have just grabbed a wideout you are pretty sure you can count on for 3 years instead of a Gore that is very inconsistent and has a plethora of rbs to spell him. Or maybe even a TE. Man I just looked up Gores career stats, I forgot what a monster that guy was in 2006. Specially for a ppr league.

I liked my Percy Harvin pick a lot too, especially if he can keep involved in the rushing game. He was literally the #1 WR in the league from weeks 10-17. I also think Brandon Llyod at 8.04 as a WR4/Flex could be a difference maker. Choosing him instead of Wilson is likely a make or break pick for me.

I also really liked Frozen's pick of Graham at 6, I was gonna take him @ 9, and his pick of Gates at 7.06, just a few picks ahead of where I likely would have taken him at 7.09. I settled for Best, who has both upside and downside galore.

Mendenhall at 12.02 could be a huge steal.

I won't say these are reaches but a few picks surprised me. Spiller at 4.07. I like Spiller a lot but choosing a 'back up' as your first RB was just something that I personally would have tried to avoid doing, but a move that was likely good considering FBN's epic BPA first 3 rounds-Graham-Brees-Fitz and need for a running back. I also like him vs the other options available at that point. He will be involved in the offense, has talent, and should be around for a while.

I was also surprised at how high M. Bush went at 6.08. I'm not a big fan of reaching for handcuffs, I'd rather take other upside plays, but he went higher than even me as a Forte owner was looking at him. Ahead of Tate, Best, McGahee, Ingram, Starks, Greene, Turner, Wilson, Wells, ect

Regarding the draft, overall I thought it was a blast. Sure it was a bit frustrating to be waiting on picks and having it take days, but on the flip-side I felt as though I had some extra time to do some homework and make sure I felt good about my picks.

I liked my Percy Harvin pick a lot too, especially if he can keep involved in the rushing game. He was literally the #1 WR in the league from weeks 10-17. I also think Brandon Llyod at 8.04 as a WR4/Flex could be a difference maker. Choosing him instead of Wilson is likely a make or break pick for me.

I also really liked Frozen's pick of Graham at 6, I was gonna take him @ 9, and his pick of Gates at 7.06, just a few picks ahead of where I likely would have taken him at 7.09. I settled for Best, who has both upside and downside galore.

Mendenhall at 12.02 could be a huge steal.

I won't say these are reaches but a few picks surprised me. Spiller at 4.07. I like Spiller a lot but choosing a 'back up' as your first RB was just something that I personally would have tried to avoid doing, but a move that was likely good considering FBN's epic BPA first 3 rounds-Graham-Brees-Fitz and need for a running back. I also like him vs the other options available at that point. He will be involved in the offense, has talent, and should be around for a while.

I was also surprised at how high M. Bush went at 6.08. I'm not a big fan of reaching for handcuffs, I'd rather take other upside plays, but he went higher than even me as a Forte owner was looking at him. Ahead of Tate, Best, McGahee, Ingram, Starks, Greene, Turner, Wilson, Wells, ect

Regarding the draft, overall I thought it was a blast. Sure it was a bit frustrating to be waiting on picks and having it take days, but on the flip-side I felt as though I had some extra time to do some homework and make sure I felt good about my picks.

I do have high hopes for Spiller, especially for next year. I would have preferred to take him later but had a feeling he would not last. Out of the options that were left I saw him as by far the best available, even if he is splitting time with another back. I took a bunch of guys who I think bring potential instead of a comparable player like DeAngelo Williams. Yeah if JStew and Tolbert go down he could shine but we have seen his act every year since his 18 td season and it hasn't helped anyone. I could have picked other guys that were more well known like Lance Ball, but I do not think his ceiling is very high and even if my rbs dont produce right away I went for rbs with good measurables that at least had the physical capabilities to put up respectable points.

I am going to go with my biggest steals as

Julio @ 2.08

Percy at 4.04

Rivers at 6.11

Torrey Smith at 6.01

The biggest reacharnds

Redman at 4.12

Dough Martin at 2.10

AJ Green at 2.06

Frank Gore at 3.10

BGE at 4.08

How can AJ Green be a reach while Julio is a steal two spots later? anyone else find this strange :dunno:

How can AJ Green be a reach while Julio is a steal two spots later? anyone else find this strange :dunno:

That's the first thing I thought when I read it. I view them pretty similarly.

That's the first thing I thought when I read it. I view them pretty similarly.

Most people I would think either see them very close or put AJ ahead..

Because I don't think Green is as good as everyone thinks. I do not see him being the number 2 overall WR this year like everyone says he is going to be. Well maybe not this year but he is being drafted as the number 2 WR in dynasty leagues. I think it is a mistake and I think Julio should be in that position.

If Julio ends up with numbers close to Megatron and AJ ends up putting up WR2 stats this year I think that would be the definition of steal/reach.

Because I don't think Green is as good as everyone thinks. I do not see him being the number 2 overall WR this year like everyone says he is going to be. Well maybe not this year but he is being drafted as the number 2 WR in dynasty leagues. I think it is a mistake and I think Julio should be in that position.

If Julio ends up with numbers close to Megatron and AJ ends up putting up WR2 stats this year I think that would be the definition of steal/reach.

Fair enough. Why are you soo down on AJ Green? This is a guy who put up 65-1057-7 as a rookie WR WITH a rookie QB and NO offseason. I would think his numbers can only go up from here, no? There's a reason AJ Green was ahead of Julio Jones on most draft boards, he's extremely talented (not saying Julio isn't).

Fair enough. Why are you soo down on AJ Green? This is a guy who put up 65-1057-7 as a rookie WR WITH a rookie QB and NO offseason. I would think his numbers can only go up from here, no? There's a reason AJ Green was ahead of Julio Jones on most draft boards, he's extremely talented (not saying Julio isn't).

THIS :pointstosky:

Let's just call it a hunch. I do not believe he will produce as everyone says he will. I do think he is talented but I just dont think he is as good as everyone thinks. So talented, yes. Superstar, no.

Let's just call it a hunch. I do not believe he will produce as everyone says he will. I do think he is talented but I just dont think he is as good as everyone thinks. So talented, yes. Superstar, no.

AJ was a little bit of a reach at 2.06, but it was a calculated one. In this 'catch and release' 3 year format I thought AJ was someone who offered far more continued upside for stats and trade value than people like Fitz who you took 6 picks later. Not knocking your pick - Fitz is clearly the better receiver right now. There were a lot of proven WR1s on the board at the time I picked. My thoughts on current + future value for AJ in our semi dynasty format led me to take what I felt to be the best three year term potential wideout in the league. We'll see how it turns out.

All in all I look back on the draft and think that all the owners put together good teams - though many are thick on one position and thin at another. I'm very interested in what I believe will be a league ultimately won by those who put together the best team at the end through trades and waiver finds - the kind of league that's close down the stretch and open for anyone to win - so long as they make the right moves.

All in all I look back on the draft and think that all the owners put together good teams - though many are thick on one position and thin at another. I'm very interested in what I believe will be a league ultimately won by those who put together the best team at the end through trades and waiver finds - the kind of league that's close down the stretch and open for anyone to win - so long as they make the right moves.

Agree 100% with you there, I normally would be talking up the weak teams trying to pick up there draft picks.. looking around I dont see any obvious teams that should/will finish near the bottom :dunno:

I do.

I usually try to smooze the basement teams out of picks.

But talking to myself never gets anything accomplished.

I do.

I usually try to smooze the basement teams out of picks.

But talking to myself never gets anything accomplished.

You're a funny cat Cory.

Oh yeah this B is going down to the wire. I wonder if lynch even goes in the first 4 rounds if we had the draft today.

You're a funny cat Cory.

Oh yeah this B is going down to the wire. I wonder if lynch even goes in the first 4 rounds if we had the draft today.

This is going to be a boring year for me.

I built what I thought was a strong starting lineup. And traded my depth for picks next year. Im counting on my team staying healthy. Which is funny because I have the madden curse looming over me. But lack of depth will hurt if injuries show up, and no depth also means no trading. Which, to me, is funner than winning.

Whats the record for trades during teh draft? I get a trophy for that?

all of a sudden, who's laughing at the Rookie-taker now?

Thanks to Lynch, I just got a starting RB for 4-8 weeks

Which is funny because I have the madden curse looming over me.

Assume your talking about Mega? I will gladly help you out with that problem.. could give u two solid WR's and a couple picks?

Assume your talking about Mega? I will gladly help you out with that problem.. could give u two solid WR's and a couple picks?

Nah. Gonna ride this pony out, and see where it takes me

2 more weeks until the HOF game. I need me some football. All this waiting around before the beginning of the season is suspenseful. It's like having a nice shiny new car sitting in the garage but you can't take it out and see what it can do for a few months.

Is there any chance we can delay waivers by 2 days?

I'm sure everyone is excited but I am traveling back from Europe tonight and tomorrow and won't have any computer access.

This would really screw me and not allow me any access until everyone has made their waiver claims.

In the interest of league wide fairness I urge a slight postponement.

Thanks and I appreciate it.

Mull

Is there any chance we can delay waivers by 2 days?

I'm sure everyone is excited but I am traveling back from Europe tonight and tomorrow and won't have any computer access.

This would really screw me and not allow me any access until everyone has made their waiver claims.

In the interest of league wide fairness I urge a slight postponement.

Thanks and I appreciate it.

Mull

I would have no problems with that..

that said I think we really should be using a BB system for the first shot at the few prizes out there..

the way I see it working is blind bidding waivers open tonight at 11pm or whatever.. there is then a 3 day period where everyone in the league gets a shot to spend there BB dollars however they like (just like durring in-season)

after the 3 days the highest bidder gets each player bid on (assuming eveything works with roster limits)

then at that point we go to a first come first serve type system

this will avoid the mad dash to hit the add button on a certan WR (who shall remain nameless) at 11pm tonight

probably somthing we should vote on IMO

but definetly the most fair system!!

anyone else have thoughts? :dunno:

If we delay the start of Free Agency, we run the risk of screwing someone else. I am hesitant to do so, and this should have been broached on the League site, not here on the Board, I think.

Second, tonight is a Free for All - not a session for Blind Bids. Dear lord, I hope everyone knows this !

Blind Bidding does not start until the season begins. Throughout the camp period and the Pre-season, it is first come-first served.

Simply go and add and drop in real time. Should be a mad house. But you really only have rumours and info from camp, and then pre-season games, which can mislead as easily as they inform.

So this should be a fun and risky time for Free Agency. That's the point.

Then, once the season begins, you have ample evidence from real games to inform your bidding choices. Take a look at the League calendar for when this change in FA style takes place.

EG.

I totally agree with 420 about the BB dollars and voted in the poll as such. Either way I wanted to bring this up to as many eyeballs as possible b/c I didn't know who would check what, when or what the dealio was.

My draft strategy:

Good lord, too much going on, not prepared at all.

Never been in a Dynasty.

My pre-draft rankings:

1 - Work 50-60 hours a week, try and get that stupid promotion.

2 - Keep absolutely f**king bonkers fiance(36b)from freaking the f**ck out, all the f**king time.

3 - Buy a house and get out of ghetto as* apartment.

My Draft:

1.8 - MJD - Why not.

2.5 - Beast Mode - Got paid, got busted, might not miss time.

3.8 - Welker - Have old man, well travel.

4.5 - Helu - Stupid f**king rat, play your best player, you are not a genius.

5.8 - DeSean - Really not liking my team.

6.5 - Blackmon - Reaching for youth.

7.8 - Roethlisberger - Reaching for air. Worst pick of the draft, filthy rapist should be in jail.

8.5 - Palmer - Homer pick, no really, well be top 10.

9.8 - Gresham - My first good pick, and i traded him. Got R. Jennings, Kendricks and Green(GBP, RB) in return.

10.5 - M. Goodson - Accident, on cell phone at work. Traded.

11.8 - Holmes - Decent WR3, i hope.

12.5 - Taiwon Jones - Packaged with Goodson for K. Hunter and 13' 2nd rounder.

13.8 - Gonzo - That back of end zone catch last year was super sweet.

14.5 - Gabbert - Manning and Aikman sucked their first year too.

15.8 - Ball - I think i dropped him.

16.5 - Ford - If healthy, he is fast.

17.8 - Walter - Love me some white receiver meat.

18.5 - Traded away.

19.8 - The Black Hole - Eat it haters.

20.5 - Kicker i dropped.

21.8 - Adams (CAR WR) - Could push for the slot by mid-season.

22.5 - Rainey (PIT WR) - Well see snaps in back field.

22.9 - Lewis (PHI RB) - Please remember your hotel key.

23.8 - DJ Ware - Maybe Bradshaw well break.

24.5 - Hardesty - Fantasy gold my friends.

Draft Analysis:

What can i say, it sucked.

Bold prediction, i win it all.

Hope springs eternal.

My Starting line up:

Rapist - 17

MJD - 19

Beast - 17

Helu - 11

Welker - 22

Desean - 12

Holmes - 10

Gonzo - 15

Kicker - 6 ish

OAK - 9

AVG 138 points. Has teams quaking.

Welcome back board!

Rotoworld just posted some confirmation on what I was thinking when I drafted Isaiah Pead - since it's on the Internet it must be true!

According to NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah, the Rams have internally evaluated second-round pick Isaiah Pead as a Chris Johnson-type back.

Keep in mind Jeremiah spent all of 2011 and the winter of 2012 as an Eagles scout, evaluating incoming college prospects. "I really liked him when I evaluated him," Jeremiah said of Pead. "And from talking to the guys in St. Louis, I know they're very high on him. Jeff Fisher sees some traits in (Pead) that remind him of Chris Johnson." Pead should be drafted in all leagues as Steven Jackson's handcuff and an every-week RB2 in the event Jackson breaks down.

Bonkbonk,

Thanks so very much for your thoughtful and hilarious draft strategy post. It made my morning.

Bonkbonk,

Thanks so very much for your thoughtful and hilarious draft strategy post. It made my morning.

:doublethumbsup: I pee'd in my pants a little...

We are back!! :cheers:

Great write up Bonk. Classic. My favorite post draft pick comment was easily:

4.05 41. Bonkbonk Helu, Roy WAS RB Mon Jun 25 2:40:17 p.m. ET 2012 Sh*t (Comments Added Mon Jun 25 2:42:43 p.m. ET 2012)

We are back!! :cheers:

Great write up Bonk. Classic. My favorite post draft pick comment was easily:

4.05 41. Bonkbonk Helu, Roy WAS RB Mon Jun 25 2:40:17 p.m. ET 2012 Sh*t (Comments Added Mon Jun 25 2:42:43 p.m. ET 2012)

Focking Helu not even lining up with the first team right now.. sh*t is right!

per roto:

Redskins RB Evan Royster has continued to work with the starting unit.Tim Hightower (ACL surgery) isn't close to 100 percent and the coaching staff isn't showing full confidence in Roy Helu yet. That leaves Royster, who has shown drastic improvement since his rookie training camp in 2011. Penn State's all-time leading rusher posted back-to-back 100-yard games to end last season and is impressing with his "wiggle." Although Helu has more natural talent and explosion, Royster appears to have landed the first blow in this battle

so who drafted royster? :ninja:

Has any player taken a bigger hit, no pun intended, than Best?

MLive.com expects Jahvid Best to "receive the majority of carries early on" for the Lions.

Best's offseason has gone as well as possible. He expects to be fully cleared for camp and the Lions' front office has suggested a "breakout" season. Backup Mikel Leshoure is suspended for the first two games and is a question mark thanks to his Achilles' tear. Kevin Smith appears ticketed for an insurance role. Jun 29 - 10:18 AM

to

Coach Jim Scwhartz made it clear Thursday that Jahvid Best (concussions) won't be gaining clearance to practice any time in the near future.

"The only thing I will say is we're measuring Jahvid in weeks, not days," explained Schwartz. "He's not day-to-day." It's become quite apparent that the Lions essentially have no clue when Best will be cleared. While it's premature to remove Best from draft boards altogether with five weeks to go before the start of the season, we're shifting our focus to Kevin Smith in the Detroit backfield. Aug 2 - 1:35 PM

I feel for you, man. But something is seriously wrong if he still can't be cleared to practice from a concussion that happened early last year...ouch

I feel for you, man. But something is seriously wrong if he still can't be cleared to practice from a concussion that happened early last year...ouch

It's strange. As far as I know, I read, that he has only had 3 concussions. That really bad one at Cal and 2 last year.

There are plenty of players that have had that many concussions. Maybe that Cal one was so bad that it triggered something out of the norm?

I know rbs take more hits but Rodgers/Collie and a bunch of players seem to have put it behind them. It's concerning and cloudy for sure.

All in all, I knew it was a risk, and if given the same information, one I'd probably take again.

Hopefully he gets justs cleared by the bye weeks and Bradshaw stays healthy. Ridley we are going to be calling upon you....get ready son.

re: Best -

It wasn't just the concussion last year, this one in college looked awful:

I don't think I'm quite ready to watch that one again.... :(

It's strange. As far as I know, I read, that he has only had 3 concussions. That really bad one at Cal and 2 last year.

There are plenty of players that have had that many concussions. Maybe that Cal one was so bad that it triggered something out of the norm?

I know rbs take more hits but Rodgers/Collie and a bunch of players seem to have put it behind them. It's concerning and cloudy for sure.

All in all, I knew it was a risk, and if given the same information, one I'd probably take again.

Hopefully he gets justs cleared by the bye weeks and Bradshaw stays healthy. Ridley we are going to be calling upon you....get ready son.

Man I remember hearing maroney would be the lead back and then when game time came he was no where to be seen. Wonder if belichik would really let on who his primary back is. Vereen was drafted before Ridley because he is the better runner. The guy is quick and strong. Ridley will prove ro be dependable but I see him more of a short yardage back. I think they go with the bigger play market and give more carries to vereen. I could be wrong but usually things are not what they seem in NE.