Sign in to follow this  
Matt Mueller

2012 Auction Targets and Strategy

Stew thanks for the reply...I need to draft one of the 4 stud QBs Vick,Romo,Rivers,Bress. That's gonna cost me 40-50 bucks. I'll only have 50 bucks left....

Bress

Rice

Foster

Jones drew

Fitzgerald

Rivers

Roeth

White

Turner

Sanchez

Wallace

Flacco

Fitpatrick

Peterson

J.Charles

Vjax

Chris Johnson

Freeman

Tebow

Scchaub

R.Bush

M.Bush

Mendhall

Ben Jarvis

Stewart

Gore

Ingram

Redman

Bowe

Washington

Garçon

Torrey smith

Maclin

Jennings

Floyd

Jackson

Miles Austin

Titus

Lafell

Which of those guys should I target?

Just auctioned (12 teams - 0.5 ppr). Looks like this:

M. Ryan (Atl) $11

R. Fitzpatrick (Buf) $1

A. Foster (Hou) $61

D. McFadden (Oak) $36

M. Ingram (NO) $5

R. Jennings (Jck) $3

J. Rodgers (Atl) $1

J. Maclin (Phi) $15

M. Colston (NO) $19

P. Harvin (Min) $15

S. Johnson (Buf) $14

N. Washington (Ten) $3

A. Hernandez (NE) $8

G. Olsen (Car) $6

J. Hanson (Det) $1

New York Giants $1

Could be in trouble in McFadden goes down but I have depth at WR to trade. I also think Rodgers and Jennings could become startable.

Damn I like that team. I'm jealous because I would've loved McFadden at $36. Every serious league I've been auctioning in, he goes closer t0 $50. Anyways, you're depth is thin at RB and you lack a true stud at WR (though you have a lot of decent options), but I think it's a great team to swing for the fences with.

Stew thanks for the reply...I need to draft one of the 4 stud QBs Vick,Romo,Rivers,Bress. That's gonna cost me 40-50 bucks. I'll only have 50 bucks left....

Bress

Rice

Foster

Jones drew

Fitzgerald

Rivers

Roeth

White

Turner

Sanchez

Wallace

Flacco

Fitpatrick

Peterson

J.Charles

Vjax

Chris Johnson

Freeman

Tebow

Scchaub

R.Bush

M.Bush

Mendhall

Ben Jarvis

Stewart

Gore

Ingram

Redman

Bowe

Washington

Garçon

Torrey smith

Maclin

Jennings

Floyd

Jackson

Miles Austin

Titus

Lafell

Which of those guys should I target?

I wouldn't set out saying you HAVE to get one of those 4 QB's. You will end up overpaying for one of them. If you can get someone like Big Ben for $15-20 cheaper, I would probably try to do that. It's all about value. 10 team league with 2 QB's means 20 QB's are started every week. If you have the #4 and #12 guy, you should still be ahead of many of your leaguemates at the QB position.

I think RB is your biggest need though. The top studs like Foster and Rice will probably be very expensive. I might target someone like Chris Johnson (or even Jamaal Charles or AP) who might be had for less. I'd then try to add another solid back as well and some cheaper depth at the position. I'd probably go cheap at WR4 and TE1. You can always find WR's off the waiver wire. Don't spend more than a $1 each on kicker and defense. Just my opinion...

I'm thinking Jamal Charles as well. I was thinking Big Ben but I have brown and that would mean I have roeth to brown and stafford to Johnson and I don't like putting all my eggs in one basket. Thoughts on shaub?

I'm thinking Jamal Charles as well. I was thinking Big Ben but I have brown and that would mean I have roeth to brown and stafford to Johnson and I don't like putting all my eggs in one basket. Thoughts on shaub?

I'm not a big Schaub fan in fantasy. Nothing against him, but I just don't think the Texans will throw the ball enough for him to put up numbers. He should be fairly consistent for 200 yards and 1-2 TD's, but I don't see a whole lot of upside. I like Big Ben much better. Ryan Fitzpatrick could be a later cheaper option as well. The Bills look like they want to throw the ball A LOT this year with Chan Gailey's wide open, no huddle scheme.

I'm not sure I would be comfortable with Fitz as my second QB. I'm so pissed because there are only 4 Qbs and they will all go for a ton 45-60 which leave me with nothing to fill almost 12 players with. It's a catch 22 if I grab one of the studs I won't be able to have a good RB. If I grab a good RB I won't be a le to get a QB.

In the middle of my first mock draft on yahoo. I'm really digging this squad. 6 point qb td league with .5 PPR

QB: Stafford $30

RB: Forte $38

RB: Bradshaw $16

WR: Marshall $32

WR: Harvin $27

WR: Lloyd $19

TE: Hernandez $23

16 dollars left...have to fill out bench

I think that team is terrible. You overpaid huge for Hernandez, and you're relying on two injury prone RBs and an injury prone QB? Plus, you have Lloyd, who hasn't even established himself with the Pats.

If someone in my league ends the day with that team, I feel very good about my chances, and my scoring system is very similar to yours.

I think that team is terrible. You overpaid huge for Hernandez, and you're relying on two injury prone RBs and an injury prone QB? Plus, you have Lloyd, who hasn't even established himself with the Pats.

If someone in my league ends the day with that team, I feel very good about my chances, and my scoring system is very similar to yours.

I disagree completely. Solid team. Those players are all healthy now and no more prone to injury than any other player. Lloyd has the same o-coordinator he had in Denver and St. Louis, same offense that he was the go to receiver in and led the league in yards receiving in Denver with. A. Hernandez is a receiver at the T.E. position in the most potent offense in the league, same offense Lloyd is with and Tom Brady is throwing the ball.

coolstorybro.jpg

:doh: :clap: :o :lol:

For what it's worth, some results from my auction yesterday ($200 budget auction dynasty league)

Here are the first 4 rounds.

I didn't buy anybody until Wayne with the 40th pick. He will be my #3 WR (not bad)

$47 Jones-Drew, Maurice (RB JAC)

$35 Peterson, Adrian (RB MIN)

$32 Richardson, Trent (RB CLE)

$35 Brady, Tom (QB NE)

$18 Vick, Michael (QB PHI)

$32 Martin, Doug (RB TB)

$17 Gates, Antonio (TE SD)

$38 Jackson, Steven (RB STL)

$38 Fitzgerald, Larry (WR ARI)

$22 Ryan, Matt (QB ATL)

$29 Gore, Frank (RB SF)

$19 Turner, Michael (RB ATL)

$15 Bush, Reggie (RB MIA)

$2 Holmes, Santonio (WR NYJ)

$9 Wells, Beanie (RB ARI)

$21 Thomas, Demaryius (WR DEN)

$7 Romo, Tony (QB DAL)

$9 Rivers, Philip (QB SD)

$14 Benson, Cedric (RB GB)

$19 Bowe, Dwayne (WR KC)

$24 Wallace, Mike (WR PIT)

$11 Griffin III, Robert (QB WAS)

$13 Tate, Ben (RB HOU)

$35 Johnson, Andre (WR HOU)

$15 Williams, DeAngelo (RB CAR)

$5 Locker, Jake (QB TEN)

$7 49ers (DST SF)

$17 Blackmon, Justin (WR JAC)

$7 Pettigrew, Brandon (TE DET)

$12 Wright, Kendall (WR TEN)

$7 Davis, Fred (TE WAS)

$10 Brown, Donald (RB IND)

$7 Pead, Isaiah (RB STL)

$20 Garcon, Pierre (WR WAS)

$16 Hillis, Peyton (RB KC)

$5 Witten, Jason (TE DAL)

$4 Schaub, Matt (QB HOU)

$5 Crabtree, Michael (WR SF)

$8 Boldin, Anquan (WR BAL)

$23 Wayne, Reggie (WR IND)

$4 Akers, David (K SF)

$11 Stewart, Jonathan (RB CAR)

$9 Olsen, Greg (TE CAR)

$3 Eagles (DST PHI)

$7 Tamme, Jacob (TE DEN)

$4 Roethlisberger, Ben (QB PIT)

$3 Blount, LeGarrette (RB TB)

$1 Janikowski, Sebastian (K OAK)

SOME SURPRISES:

Trent Richardson selling for only $32.

RG3 selling for only $11

Matt Ryan for $22 (i considered keeping him for $21 but

decided it was too steep)

Kendall Wright selling for $12

Brandon LaFell selling for $16

David Wilson selling for $22 (to a Giants homer)

Greg Little selling for $14

Lance Moore selling for $18

Ingram for $20

Here's my team from Sunday auction draft only 8 teams though, its an old coworker league and we are going keepers this year. Its standard scoring 4 for pass 6 for rush, no ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1flexW/R, 1K, 1D the only odd thing is we have very short benches only 3 spots.

Targets (relatively loose on most of these): Peterson, Martin, I wanted one of the Cj2k/DMC or McCoy/Foster/Rice and would have gone to $60 for the big three. Value targets: Stevie johnson, BenjarvisGreen Ellis, Harvin. I generally nominated the players I wanted and started the bid at 3/4 to just below yahoo auction price, I was the only drafter to do this. I like to think it scared others off and stopped me from being bid up, but not positive about this.

So my brief thoughts on my auction and strategy employed on a pick by pick basis (somewhat stream of conscious so that totally excuses the bad grammar! :rolleyes: ):

1. (9) Andrew Luck(Ind - QB)$9-Should set me up for years at QB, but taking one on the chin this year at QB, I was one of the few with my full 200 available, it might have saved me some cash as a couple drafters seemed fairly interested in him, Yahoo projected value was $4. Feel ok about this pick, was something of a impulse buy.

2.(10)New York(NYJ - DEF)$1-used a strategy found over on ESPN, throw out the def/kicker you want early, someone either overbids or autodrafter kills them, fairly excited about Jets defense this year, they look good, also filling slots on your team early and cheap makes me more comfortable I guess because my team is rounding into shape quicker?

3.(18)Chris Johnson(Ten - RB)$52-really wanted him and I overpaid, the big three where gone as was DMC the other RB I wanted, feel ok about pick, likely have to throw him back next year due to cost but hope he can help me compete this year

4.(26)Adrian Peterson(Min - RB)$42-my man crush :headbanger: , I need him on my team, tried another tip of jumping the bid by $2/3 seemed to scare them off somewhat, also opened the bid for just below Yahoo projected value of 38ish

5.(36)Julio Jones(Atl - WR)$28-not excited about this pick going largely off this boards consensus and most of top WR's where gone at this point too

6.(42)Jason Hanson(Det - K)$1-2nd kicker I nominated, got an autobidder to spend $4 for Mason Crosby, I am indifferent but again fills my roster out and gives me peace of mind

7.(48)Antonio Gates(SD - TE)$12-had 68 dollars left at this point, wanted Harvin, Martin, BJGreen-Ellis, Stevie Johnson and Ahmed Bradshaw, felt I could splurge and grab either Gates or Hernandez for 15ish bucks, was happy with Gates.

Auction status update: At this point I had the third most cash left, with one team at 150ish, me and another at 68ish. 2 auto drafters essentially out of auction down to dollar bids, 3 other teams in teens with money.

8.(50)Percy Harvin(Min - WR)$17-again wanted him largely based on this boards info, I was not aware of his torrid finish or high number of touches, was worried the guy with 150ish was my competition but backed off once we exceeded yahoo price value (I think 14ish????)

9.(51)Doug Martin(TB - RB)$21-my hearts desire among the rookies, had 3 guys to beat out, again they lost interest once we exceeded yahoo's price recommendation (17ish?) still feel this will be good value for years to come

10.(58)BenJarvus Green-Ellis(Cin) - RB $4-Another guy I have a good feeling about, I am alone on this one, started bid at $4 and heard crickets, might have got him for less but ok with it

11.(74)Tony Romo(Dal - QB)$4-need a QB to compete for this year and he was cheap

12.(76)Frank Gore(SF - RB)$9-it was Bradshaw or Gore, me and mister big bucks only guys with money left, he took Stevie Johnson and Bradshaw from me, Gore was decent consolation and should help me compete this year.

Final thoughts: It's a small league and there are a ton of available WR's available, I will probably end up dropping or trading my extra RB depth for a WR. Nervous about having to keep Luck and eat up one of my precious bench spots. I lost a bidding war of McCoy, Rice, Calvin Johnson and DMC which left me somewhat desparate when Cj2k came up and I overspent to get the last guy I felt was a tier I/II guy. I will play hot QB, and hope my RB's do well enough to give me some trade bait. Again small league so the teams are loaded, but I am happy with my team and am largely dependent on my WR's emerging, and maybe finding a gem or two at WR on the waiver wire.

It really depends on your scoring system. If QBs get the same amount of points for TDs as everyone else I would seriously get rodgers/brady/brees.

I have found over the years that WRs tend to go for under value late in the auction so hold off on buying them.. you can get a third tier wr for a bargain late. If you start to see people hoarding money bring up positions that they need and get their money out of the way. I have also found that it is worthwhile to try and keep at least 1/4 of your money until the end. I would make a list of people that you feel are a serious point advantage at a position like QB/RB/WR/TE and try to get at least 2 of those players. If you can get two first round picks in your auction and then hold money towards the end for bargains you should have a well rounded and deep team.

got an autobidder to spend $4 for Mason Crosby

We don't allow auto-pilot bidding at all in our draft for this very reason. It skews bidding and ruins competition in the league. We set a draft date that everyone can make and if someone finds out 2 days before they cant make it, they either find someone else to draft for them or they are out of the league, that simple.

For anyone who still has an upcoming auction draft, and wants to look it up under the search function, it was either last year or the year before that I did a post article on strategy for auction drafts. Do a specialized search for "auction" with my screen name as author and plug in a date range that encompasses 2010 and 2011.

A couple of tips though:

1. Timing is everything in auction drafts. There is a definite curve - a few initial bargains, then a bidding frenzy followed by bargain time when owners realize that they have overspent their budgets.

2. Do NOT target specific players! In auction drafts, it is more important than ever to do tier based drafting and be willing to take a player who offers good value within the tier. The last thing you want to do is get into a bidding war over your favorite hot player.

2. Do NOT target specific players! In auction drafts, it is more important than ever to do tier based drafting and be willing to take a player who offers good value within the tier. The last thing you want to do is get into a bidding war over your favorite hot player.

Hate to disagree with you MFM because I am a big fan of your posts you bring a lot of quality to the website, but I have to on this one.

The whole point of an auction draft is so you can get the players you want and have a fair shot at them. It essentially is made for targeting the players you want, the catch is and you hint at it in the last sentence the bidding war. If the player you want happens to be the last guy in a tier and the other drafters are aware at all, then he will cost more than you like.

This is where the value drafter struggles in the auction format, sure you can not overspend for specific players and get great value late in your draft but your roster will be full of Bradshaw/Gore/StevieJohnson type guys and no home run hitters. You can get value in auction drafts but its trickier than in snake style drafts. You generally have to wait till late in the draft and then overpay for the later picks you really want, if you fall asleep at the wheel or fail to calculate the other players remaining max bids (which is hard even with the remaining budget in front of you for 10-12 teams every pick and on a 20 second timer) you end up with wasted leftover money.

I love value based drafting but it is fairly hard to apply to auction drafting simply because you have no idea what the other players are going to bid or value each player at. Quite simply there is not ADP/AveragePrice information available. If your lucky your league mates are following a budget plan or the recommended values on the website you use. But alot of players overshoot these values or worse try to play cop and force you to pay "proper value"

Another problem is you will get a lot of people bidding you up late just because your player is going for much less than the projected cost and they are playing cop. You can stick one or two people with these players but when the whole league is doing it they just neutered your advantage of saving your money. What I am trying to say is if you get 3-4 guys with 30bucks each playing cop thats likely as much as you have saved for your value picks late and your advantage just disappeared.

I already have decided who will be on my team based on ESPNs ppr auction dollar amounts. I expect I'll get 95% of them.

Eat me.

Eli Manning (34), Peyton Manning (15)

Ahmad Bradshaw (22), Willis McGahee (20), Cedric Benson (16), Reggie Bush (14), Donald Brown (8), Taiwan Jones (1)

Jordy Nelson (21), Miles Austin (14), Stevie Johnson (10), Justin Blackmon (3)

Vernon Davis (17)

Janikowski (4)

Finished with $1 left. That's how it's done, son.

No defense in the PFFL.

Oh, why both Mannings? Peyton was just there as a value pick. He looked good the other night. Might be better than his little brother for one more year. If not, I'm ready for the passing of the torch.

And if both do well .... every year, someone needs a QB. I can trade one.

LOL, $49 for the Mannings... yikes.

I mighta overpaid for Eli, but it was part of my plan. The basics of 2 possibly explosive offenses.

Eli, Bradshaw

Peyton, McGahee

It's all about value, and leverage. I have all starters, besides Taiwan Jones (leverage w/ McFadden owner).

I mean ... I got 5 ... count 'em FIVE starting RBs. Sooooo much value there. So much value with Peyton @ $15.

You could spend $60 on Arian Foster .... or you can do like I did. Shotgun several value RBs.

If I can't find a stud WR on the wire, I can trade for one.

No defense in this league.

Look, I think it's an A draft. Not an A+ draft, but mostly because you only get that kind of draft against morons. Seems like a pretty solid league, they paid like $60 for Foster, Rodgers, etc. I know I can be competitive in this league. I think I got the best possible value in the draft.

Lotta value there in later rounds. You don't wanna be broke. Team name: KHAN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydXenL7iu0w

Donald Brown for $8? KHAAAAANNNN!!!!!!!

Giants Fan, I am not a fan of your team at all... You would be bottom 3rd in my 12 teamer..

Its really bad actually...