Sign in to follow this  
MarshallHahn

With Matthews out...for a while, who is the starter and gets the carries in SD?

Matthews SHOULD be out till week 3ish to be sure he is healthy, they may foolishly rush him back sooner. Who gets the carries or starts while hes gone? SD has Ronnie Brown as 2nd on depth chart...could it be J Battle? Is it worth even messing with or just wait till Matthews comes back? Even if we have the starter on our team, guessing he isnt worth a start unless in a SUPER deep league.

tboughts?

I expect some form of committee with three or four guys getting 5-10 touches each. As a Mathews owner, I passed on the whole mess and let someone else take Brown, who promptly dropped him the next day. I still haven't even written off Mathews for week 1 as he seems quite convinced he will play.

I expect some form of committee with three or four guys getting 5-10 touches each. As a Mathews owner, I passed on the whole mess and let someone else take Brown, who promptly dropped him the next day. I still haven't even written off Mathews for week 1 as he seems quite convinced he will play.

:thumbsup:

I am in a similar situation. I passed on Brown and will do the same for McClain. None of them are viable replacements themselves. I am hoping that Rashad Jennings can fill in for Mathews in my lineup until he is ready to go and that he is not glass-like once he does come back. :dunno:

Why do folks continue to speculate that he is "OUT FOR A WHILE"?

Initial timeline is 4-6 weeks. He is already ahead of the curve. No sling, running and now have clearance to train upper body.

At worst he will miss the first 2 games which will give him more than 6 weeks of rest. If he is "ahead" of the initial timeline, then it's quite possible he will miss only 1 game.

I think a lot of people are looking too deep into this. Didn't Colston returned after 2 weeks last season?

I got a feeling, a lot of people will be kicking themselves for not snatching him up in round 2/3. You get a absolute stud for a 2/3 round pick. Even if he doesn't pan out, his risk isn't as bad as some of the questionable RB that's getting drafted in the same area. Just baffles my mind.

Why do folks continue to speculate that he is "OUT FOR A WHILE"?

Initial timeline is 4-6 weeks. He is already ahead of the curve. No sling, running and now have clearance to train upper body.

At worst he will miss the first 2 games which will give him more than 6 weeks of rest. If he is "ahead" of the initial timeline, then it's quite possible he will miss only 1 game.

I think a lot of people are looking too deep into this. Didn't Colston returned after 2 weeks last season?

I got a feeling, a lot of people will be kicking themselves for not snatching him up in round 2/3. You get a absolute stud for a 2/3 round pick. Even if he doesn't pan out, his risk isn't as bad as some of the questionable RB that's getting drafted in the same area. Just baffles my mind.

Someone drafted Ryan Mathews. ;)

No, i don't own Mathews. I just read all these retarded post and a bit flabbergasted by it.

but even for the one week or two... is ronnie brown NOT a viable plug in?

but even for the one week or two... is ronnie brown NOT a viable plug in?

Probably not - I wouldn't give up waiver priority if you're near the top, and I'd at least wait until final roster cuts have been made. I read reports that some of the guys mentioned like Brown or Battle may not even make the team.

In week 1 & 2 (no byes, few injuries) if you're starting any of the backup SD RB's in a 12 team league, your team is terrible.

I own Mathews in both leagues I'm in so far (he's just SO TASTY in round 3) and I couldn't care less if someone picks up Ronnie Brown off of waivers. I'm starting Ridley or Peyton Hillis in the two leagues I own Mathews in, and I expect them to do better than Ronnie Brown or Curtis Brinkley.

Mathews has no clear handcuff right now, so unless you're in a super deep league, you're not owning any other SD running back.

Probably not - I wouldn't give up waiver priority if you're near the top, and I'd at least wait until final roster cuts have been made. I read reports that some of the guys mentioned like Brown or Battle may not even make the team.

Brown will make the team for sure. :rolleyes:

Ronnie Brown: Could Fill in For Mathews - 8/30/2012 9:27:28 AM

Update:

In his most direct comments to date, head coach Norv Turner indicated that Brown will likely be the primary ball-carrier if Ryan Mathews misses any regular season games and even suggested that it might not be too much of a committee, the San Diego Union-Tribune reports.

Recommendation:

"I'd like to think that someone will emerge," Turner said, "that we'll feel good enough about someone where they can get 20 carries." The coach went on to confirm that the someone he had in mind could be Brown, whom he calls a "complete player." These were surprisingly straightforward comments in a day and age when coaches are typically loathe to make any definitive statements about how they plan to use their personnel in upcoming games. Certainly other running backs will be in the mix when the season begins if Mathews is still down, but if you had to pick the one guy with the most upside, it would definitely be Brown.

Personally, I am not sold on any possible Mathews handcuff.

I had Mathews as a keeper for $30, decided to keep him even after the injury, and I let Ronnie Brown go to someone else for $2.

I will start either Jonathan Stewart of Toby Gerhart in his place and feel better about it than I would with Ronnie. I think it will be a committee in the first week. Then if any of the 3 stand out, perhaps look at them for week 2

thinking about picking him up just to screw the mathews owner the first few weeks.

Go for it. As a Mathews owner, i have other options that would be better then either of those bums anyway.

I got him in middle of Round 4 in a 12 teamer. Unreal value even if out 2 or 3 games. I was the 7th pick and a month ago I would have drafted him at 7 overall so this injury was a blessing in disguise for me. Able to get Brees, Dmac, Julio and Mathews with my first 4 picks

Looks like Ronnie Brown is the guy. Any idea how he looks in training camp? They say Norv Turner likes him but no word on how he looks at camp.

Looks like Ronnie Brown is the guy. Any idea how he looks in training camp? They say Norv Turner likes him but no word on how he looks at camp.

"Looks" can be deceiving.

If he gets 10 carries for 37 yards and no TDs does that make him "the guy?"

While his floor is pretty low, in PPR leagues I believe Brown has value. The Chargers love to employ their RBs into their passing game. I for see the Chargers struggling to ran the ball with Mathews out and they'll use passing to move the chains. Brown might put up decent FLEX points while Mathews is out.

"Looks" can be deceiving.

If he gets 10 carries for 37 yards and no TDs does that make him "the guy?"

You can say that about a lot of players though, but he does look to still be the guy. I don't want him personally unless it's a salary cap league and he is a low % owned.