Sign in to follow this  
WildhawkJaycat

Is Leshoure For Sure

With K Smith having a good start to the season how much PT do we think Leshoure will be even close to a sure thing to carry the ball with any regularity. I picked him up very late in the draft in hopes of him becoming a good flex or a bye week sub around week 6. So what does everybody think his precentages will be?

With K Smith having a good start to the season how much PT do we think Leshoure will be even close to a sure thing to carry the ball with any regularity. I picked him up very late in the draft in hopes of him becoming a good flex or a bye week sub around week 6. So what does everybody think his precentages will be?

Detroit doest run the ball with much consistency or frequency, I think it really comes down to the fact that Kevin Smith is always getting hurt. I'm from Detroit and I believe it will be a sort of 60-40 timeshare to start with, Smith edge in passing situations and Leshoure the edge on Short-Yardage, goal-line and pounding the ball in clock killing situations. I would def hang onto Leshoure as Detroit at some point is going to need to find out if he is capable of being an every down, top teir running back that they drafted him to be (not really because he was supposed to be a compliment to Jahvid but with his uncertainty for this season and career)Kevin Smith is a solid producer when he plays but certainly lacks a sort of something that keeps him from being looked at as a "long term" fix to the RB position in Detroit. I am really looking forward to seeing Leshoure on the field

He'll be in at the goal line and will get a share of carries. I think Kevin Smith's style of play fits their system too well for them to simply abandon him. Another Smith injury seems to be inevitable based on all the opinions I have read, but I'm certainly not going to bank on that. I could easily see Smith retaining the larger workload if healthy.

Well, LeShoure was Detroit's second round pick and they lost him last year to injuries. He is still young and I think the Lions will give him a good share of touches to see what they got in him. IMO, he should eventually become the #1 and Smith will be the 3rd down / receiving back

Mikel Leshoure, RB, DET

News: Lions running back Mikel Leshoure will serve the final game of his two-game suspension Week 2 and be ready to make his NFL regular season debut Week 3 against the Titans. And according to offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, Leshoure better be prepared, per the Detroit Free Press. “Get his pads on and give him the ball,” Linehan said of the plans for Leshoure. “I know he’s been working hard. He does have to get his pads back on and get some good work during the week so that he’s ready to go. But being able to get him on the field of play really that last (preseason game) was a big step, and then just really picking up where we left off right there at the end of preseason and not really missing a beat hopefully.”

Analysis: Leshoure played extensively in the final two preseason games, totaling 20 carries for 44 yards and one touchdown, while adding two receptions for 39 yards. Leshoure missed all of the 2011 season with a torn Achilles tendon, but it appeared during the preseason he is ready to test out his skills in the NFL. “I think we’ve had an excellent plan with him on his training,” Linehan said. “He’s been working extremely hard and has been able to do that while he’s not able to participate in practice or anything like that. I know he’s been able to work with the strength coaches and get a lot of training that is going to benefit him hopefully when we’re ready to go when he gets back.” Leshoure will likely initially share carries with Kevin Smith once he is active, and don't forget Jahvid Best (concussion) might also be back later this year. However, Leshoure might have the most upside out of any of those backs, which is why he is worth stashing in Fantasy.

Detroit is a playoff team. They are not simply gonna try and see what he has because he was an early pick. Don't kid yourselves only real bad thing about smith is he is injury prone. Be has done nothing but produce.

There are a ton of second round picks in league teams don't just play them because of that they have to outplay the other guys.

Detroit is a playoff team. They are not simply gonna try and see what he has because he was an early pick. Don't kid yourselves only real bad thing about smith is he is injury prone. Be has done nothing but produce.

There are a ton of second round picks in league teams don't just play them because of that they have to outplay the other guys.

This. Detroit believes they're ready to take that next step, and the kid will have to show he can pass protect and catch the ball reliably moreso than run. That's what's crucial in their attack.

A Smith injury or Best being ruled out completely will likely result in a FA RB like Hightower being picked up in a hurry. Not to say Leshoure won't get some play, but relying on him as anything other than a flex or fill in isn't reasonable.

NO way this dope head passes Kevin Smith. Smith is the ultimate hard worker. LeShoure is a bum.

NO way this dope head passes Kevin Smith. Smith is the ultimate hard worker. LeShoure is a bum.

Except Smith WILL get hurt. I hate it because I like the dude.

Look, I get his injuries - I've owned smith many times over the years. But the 1 thing he has going for him is hunger.

He had the taste of big $ in the NFL and lost it. He went from basement to penthouse back to basement. And along that way his pride and ego were damaged. I don't know him personally, but can't imagine anyone that has experienced the income swing coupled with a sense of "lost face" when he was out of the league will just lay down & die easily. He will fight to keep his job, and WILL play thru injury. He will do w/e he has to do to keep the money coming.

Anyone that's ever lost a good paying job will reflect on what they did to have lost it (eventually - after they've blamed others). And if/when they return to that level of pay or have an opportunity to return to that level - they usually go balls out & won't make the same mistakes twice. Money and pride have great effect on people. Especially with professional athletes. And even moreso with professional RBs. Don't think for a second that each & every one of them don't realize the small window they have to make money in the NFL....and they also realize they very rarely get 2nd chances - and even more rare to get a call while they're laying on a couch working a 9-5 job.

I don't get all the Leshoure optimism. The dude had a complete achilles rupture. That's a devastating injury that ends more careers than not. Go ahead, name someone that has come back from that injury and been anywhere near the same. I'm sorry i just don't see how this hasn't robbed him of more than a step.

I don't get all the Leshoure optimism. The dude had a complete achilles rupture. That's a devastating injury that ends more careers than not. Go ahead, name someone that has come back from that injury and been anywhere near the same. I'm sorry i just don't see how this hasn't robbed him of more than a step.

That's a fair statement, but AP just came back from a DEVASTATING knee injury only 8 months after it occurred. These guys aren't like you and me. They have something different in them that helped them get to where they are today. I'm not saying the injury won't affect him, but he is young and spent over a year rehabbing the injury. With modern medicine today I wouldn't be surprised if he hardly misses a step.

Even if he is 100% what indication is there that he is this great starting caliber nfl rb? College? Lol? When was last time he played in a real game? 2010? And its not like he was this preseason phenomenon.

Guess I don't get it at all

Smith's injury history warrants stashing his backup.

Everything else is pure speculation.

Best is the dark horse in Detroits run game this year.

Best is the dark horse in Detroits run game this year.

That's the problem - everything goes dark when Best plays.