Sign in to follow this  
Matt Mueller

Is picking IR guys up a shady move?

25 members have voted

1. 1. Shady move or smart management?

• Shady Move
    • Smart Management

If you're league has an IR spot and guys like Beanie Wells or V. Brown are sitting out there on IR...is adding them and placing them on IR a smart move or considered shady at all?

I can see the argument that an IR spot is for players on your current team that get injured...not so you get an extra roster spot so to speak.

What do you guys think?

P.S. Both of those guys are out there on Yahoo IR. Might be a smart play if your league allows it.

everyone else has the ability to pick these guys up. why cant you?

If you think you will have use for them when they get healthy or if you are in a dynasty format and think you will keep them, then you've really cashed in.

the fact you have an open IR Slot and room to fill it means you are playing smart to fill the slot.

Huh?

Well 1 I assume you have to drop a player to pick him up so it is costing you said player. Then after you IR him you get to pick up another player. Seems ok to me

There is nothing shady about that at all. You have a slot, you fill the slot. And you're not working under what others are able to do. I see nothing shady at all, and I tend to shy away from anything that looks . . . off.

nothing shady at all about using IR for injured players. the problem most leagues have is that teams will hoard reasonably healthy players in their IR spot. If i want to keep injured guys on my team, that's my business, and anybody can do it. If I want to keep healthy guys on my team in a spot for injured guys, that's completely shady. At any one point this season in a 12 team league w/out an IR spot I've had Jennings, Garcon, V Brown (San Diego), J Best and probably a couple of others. If I've got a roster spot and can gamble on a hurt player coming back and helping me later, I will, and the IR spot is no different.

Not really shady due to the risk involved. By Friday when the injury report is released, our WW is wide open. To move a qualifying non-rostered player onto IR, I have to first drop someone. I then must pick up the injured player, transfer him to IR, then go back and retrieve the guy I dropped. The snipers are always lurking, and I've had a dropped player picked off while doing the waiver wire shuffle. I will be doing this on Friday with a certain WR who seems to be healing faster than expected. I need him to be downgraded to Doubtful or Out. But with mobile alerts, it's always a gamble that can bite you in the butt.

I have never been a fan. We have a gentlemans agreement that you can only place people that were in your squad when they got the IR status on IR. The only exception is if you draft someone who already has IR status.

It is of course allowed to pick them up and just keep them in your normal squad, but picking someone just to place them on IR is not.

I don't see the problem with it. The owner who dropped Beanie due to his real-life IR status, valued another player more whom he was able to place in the IR slot your league allows. This made Beanie expendable to his team.

If you currently don't have anyone in that spot then there's no reason you shouldn't be allowed to add a currently injured player & place him in your IR slot.

As long as your playing within the confines of the rules for your league then game on I say.

One of my leagues used to have an IR spot but you could place anyone who had a "questionable " status & owners began abusing it by hoarding free agent players. We abolished it due to its misuse & the league has run much more smoothly.

I have never been a fan. We have a gentlemans agreement that you can only place people that were in your squad when they got the IR status on IR. The only exception is if you draft someone who already has IR status.

It is of course allowed to pick them up and just keep them in your normal squad, but picking someone just to place them on IR is not.

Yeah. That was my only concern. Its legal but I could see it being frowned upon.

This is a 3rd year league, I'm back to back champ and currently way ahead in points. I certainly don't need Beanie Wells or V Brown but my IR spot is sitting empty.

This might be the first year I've we've had the IR spot so I'm not even sure other owners are aware.

My move would simply be to drop a K, Seabass who I like a lot so I might not risk it, and pick up another one. Smart move but if it might cause some bad will then I might not do it...

Not really shady due to the risk involved. By Friday when the injury report is released, our WW is wide open. To move a qualifying non-rostered player onto IR, I have to first drop someone. I then must pick up the injured player, transfer him to IR, then go back and retrieve the guy I dropped. The snipers are always lurking, and I've had a dropped player picked off while doing the waiver wire shuffle. I will be doing this on Friday with a certain WR who seems to be healing faster than expected. I need him to be downgraded to Doubtful or Out. But with mobile alerts, it's always a gamble that can bite you in the butt.

Good luck trying to get that "certain" WR. Amendola is healing quickly, huh?

Good luck trying to get that "certain" WR. Amendola is healing quickly, huh?

I already snagged him as well and stashed him.

Honestly...this is first year in which the IR has taken a different meaning in fantasy. With the intent to return designation , the IR roster spot must be included in both re-draft AND dynasty leagues. I picked up Brown a few weeks ago and stuck him in my IR spot...the guy with Beanie Wells dropped him...another team picked Wells up and stashed him in the IR spot. Its all about knowledge of the rules. For me...the IR spot up until this season should've only been in dynasty leagues. Now... no league should be without it.

I already snagged him as well and stashed him.

See...this to me i would have a problem with. Amendola wasn't ever put on the IR as far as I can remember. If a guy is out of the lineup, that's ridiculous that you get a free roster spot. If he's gone for 7 weeks, fine...you can maintain a guy in hopes he comes back to help in the playoffs or next season.

Now that I think about it, in a Re-Draft league, the idea of an IR spot is rather preposterous.

Until this year where being put on the IR could potentially mean a player can come back. I overlooked this entering the season in the one redraft league I am commisioner in...but next year it will be an added roster spot.

In years prior having an IR spot for re-draft leagues was stupid. No point whatsoever unless people were able to place players on there that missed one game.