Sign in to follow this  
EasyPeasy28

Michael Vick

I traded for Vick last week, thinking he couldn't possibly be any worse than he's been thus far. While he didn't turn the ball over this week, he certainly didn't do anything to inspire lots of confidence moving forward. It was really frustrating to watch all the dink and dunk offensive play-calls in this game against the Falcons. Plus Philly's defense really stinks right now.

That being said, it was a matchup against the Falcons, who are looking like the best team in the NFL so far.

While Vick made some uninspiring comments in his post-game news conference, I just dont see how throwing rookie Nick Foles into the fire is going to solve anything. Philly has way too many weapons on offense to be playing this horrible. That and the fact that they still have a shot at making the playoffs. They've had some pretty tough opponents the last few weeks as well.

Bottom line:

Is this a rough patch, and is there still some hope to turn things around?? Or is it officially time to stick a fork in Vick and the Eagles???

I just dumped him (tried to trade him - no takers). Luckily I took a flyer on RG3 and it paid off, so I had the option. He's average and on the verge of being benched. You can get average on the wire. Not a bad idea to take a chance if you have room on your roster, but I think we have seen the best of Vick and he's on the downslide.

I traded for Vick last week, thinking he couldn't possibly be any worse than he's been thus far. While he didn't turn the ball over this week, he certainly didn't do anything to inspire lots of confidence moving forward. It was really frustrating to watch all the dink and dunk offensive play-calls in this game against the Falcons. Plus Philly's defense really stinks right now.

That being said, it was a matchup against the Falcons, who are looking like the best team in the NFL so far.

While Vick made some uninspiring comments in his post-game news conference, I just dont see how throwing rookie Nick Foles into the fire is going to solve anything. Philly has way too many weapons on offense to be playing this horrible. That and the fact that they still have a shot at making the playoffs. They've had some pretty tough opponents the last few weeks as well.

Bottom line:

Is this a rough patch, and is there still some hope to turn things around?? Or is it officially time to stick a fork in Vick and the Eagles???

Vick blows. Put in foles and see what the kid can do. Vick isnt capable of consistently leading a team to victory as he looks more like a liability than a leader. The eagles are lucky they dont have at least 2 more loses than they do. The writing is on the all, vick just isnt very good.

Vick blows. Put in foles and see what the kid can do. Vick isnt capable of consistently leading a team to victory as he looks more like a liability than a leader. The eagles are lucky they dont have at least 2 more loses than they do. The writing is on the all, vick just isnt very good.

Vick has never been that good. The NFL has been trying to ram him down our throats since day 1 but smart people know its just a bunch of BS. He's a running back that plays QB. He can't read defenses, he can't make adjustments at the line, he doesn't make other players around him better, and he kills puppies on top of all that. A certified d!ckhead. Way back when, he was the "great black hope" for QBs so the league propped him up like a one legged sailor. I think it's safe to say that people ain buying it no more and Philly can just accept the fact that they need to go in a different direction at QB. Enough with this focking guy, just go away, retire, bye. :rolleyes:

Vick has never been that good. The NFL has been trying to ram him down our throats since day 1 but smart people know its just a bunch of BS. He's a running back that plays QB. He can't read defenses, he can't make adjustments at the line, he doesn't make other players around him better, and he kills puppies on top of all that. A certified d!ckhead. Way back when, he was the "great black hope" for QBs so the league propped him up like a one legged sailor. I think it's safe to say that people ain buying it no more and Philly can just accept the fact that they need to go in a different direction at QB. Enough with this focking guy, just go away, retire, bye. :rolleyes:

you guys realize reid is coaching for his job, this isn't a situation where the coach can say, 'lets see what the rook has'

Everyone keeps making this statement, and all those people are stupid. There is no luxury to 'build for the future' in philly. Granted reid should have been bounced a few years ago, but that's a moot point. Right now, reid has to make the playoffs, and handing the ball over to a rook, as bad as vick has been, will not get him there...

HTH

you guys realize reid is coaching for his job, this isn't a situation where the coach can say, 'lets see what the rook has'

Everyone keeps making this statement, and all those people are stupid. There is no luxury to 'build for the future' in philly. Granted reid should have been bounced a few years ago, but that's a moot point. Right now, reid has to make the playoffs, and handing the ball over to a rook, as bad as vick has been, will not get him there...

HTH

Unless the rookie is better than vick. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Unless the rookie is better than vick. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

jesus christ you are dense! First off, this dude is not exactly a heralded top 3 pick ala luck or RGIII. 3rd round qb. Secondly, he might just end up being the greatest qb of all time, but Reid doesn't have the luxury of finding out right now that he is not better than Vick NEXT WEEK. Is that so hard to comprehend??? I'll give it to you that you can't really play too much worse than Vick right now, but throw in a rook that hasn't had much time with the 1st stringers, and you can see a massacre out there. SO it's really risk mgmt at it's simplest isn't it? Keep throwing vick out there, hoping for the best, of make a drastically desperate move that has a great chance of blowing up in your face than getting you to the playoffs...

I know eagles fans and owners of any player on the eagles are highly frustrated, but calling for Vick's benching for a rook is really dumb. Especially when you consider where Reid stands within the org right now. It's nice to have tunnel vision and not see the big picture, kind of akin to 'ignorance is bliss' but when you look at the big picture, there is very little to zero chance Reid abandons Vick anytime this season, until they are mathemetically eliminated from the playoffs, at which time his job is eliminated regardless and it's irrelevant what he does...

Hope that clears it up a big for all those calling for vick's benching...

jesus christ you are dense! First off, this dude is not exactly a heralded top 3 pick ala luck or RGIII. 3rd round qb. Secondly, he might just end up being the greatest qb of all time, but Reid doesn't have the luxury of finding out right now that he is not better than Vick NEXT WEEK. Is that so hard to comprehend??? I'll give it to you that you can't really play too much worse than Vick right now, but throw in a rook that hasn't had much time with the 1st stringers, and you can see a massacre out there. SO it's really risk mgmt at it's simplest isn't it? Keep throwing vick out there, hoping for the best, of make a drastically desperate move that has a great chance of blowing up in your face than getting you to the playoffs...

I know eagles fans and owners of any player on the eagles are highly frustrated, but calling for Vick's benching for a rook is really dumb. Especially when you consider where Reid stands within the org right now. It's nice to have tunnel vision and not see the big picture, kind of akin to 'ignorance is bliss' but when you look at the big picture, there is very little to zero chance Reid abandons Vick anytime this season, until they are mathemetically eliminated from the playoffs, at which time his job is eliminated regardless and it's irrelevant what he does...

:overhead: We all know who is the dense one. Vick has not won a playoff game since 2004, what is different this year?

You watch too much ESPN.

:overhead: We all know who is the dense one. Vick has not won a playoff game since 2004, what is different this year?

You watch too much ESPN.

yes, and foles has been winning playoff games since 1938! you're not just dense, you're a moron...

yes, and foles has been winning playoff games since 1938! you're not just dense, you're a moron...

A moron who has been right about Vick since day one. :lol: I would think anyone who has seen Vick play this year knows he has to go.

Calling people names does not make up for your lack of knowledge about the game of football. HTH

pOOh is basically correct.

A first year coach who has the luxury of a mediocre season would probably go with Foles. A 14th year coach coming into a year where ownership and the fanbase expects a deep playoff run is probably not going to make that move until the season is a lost cause.

I guess if Reid thought that Foles gave him a better chance to win right now he might go in that direction, but 1) there's no reason to expect Foles is going to be better than Vick right now and 2) even if he is, there's no chance Foles can pull off the kind of run that will save Reid's job anyway.

If / when the Eagles are mathematically eliminiated Reid may go to Foles. But at that point he's pretty much tendering his resignation.

hth

A moron who has been right about Vick since day one. :lol: I would think anyone who has seen Vick play this year knows he has to go.

Calling people names does not make up for your lack of knowledge about the game of football. HTH

listen moron, you want to pat yourself on the back about knowing vick sucks, that's great. Get in line with 90% of the rest of the people here. Read what I wrote again, this time taking your time with it. Looking at the situation with blinders on while at the same time patting yourself on the back for basic knowledge is, for lack of a better word, moronic. In the big picture, Reid is going to sink with the ship with Vick at the helm. FACT. Does matter what your 'expert' opinion of Vick is, or has been since 2004...

HTH, though I doubt it...

listen moron, you want to pat yourself on the back about knowing vick sucks, that's great. Get in line with 90% of the rest of the people here. Read what I wrote again, this time taking your time with it. Looking at the situation with blinders on while at the same time patting yourself on the back for basic knowledge is, for lack of a better word, moronic. In the big picture, Reid is going to sink with the ship with Vick at the helm. FACT. Does matter what your 'expert' opinion of Vick is, or has been since 2004...

HTH, though I doubt it...

:overhead: Did you see Vick's press conference. The guy is begging to be benched, he is done, finished, game over. Get with it. Vick will not be starting at the end of the year and I am not referring to injury.

There you go calling names again. :lol:

:overhead: Did you see Vick's press conference. The guy is begging to be benched, he is done, finished, game over. Get with it. Vick will not be starting at the end of the year and I am not referring to injury.

There you go calling names again. :lol:

pOOh just said that's a possibility:

there is very little to zero chance Reid abandons Vick anytime this season, until they are mathemetically eliminated from the playoffs, at which time his job is eliminated regardless and it's irrelevant what he does...

pOOh just said that's a possibility:

"If that is the decision (benching Vick) the coach wants to make I support it"

- Mike Vick 10-28-12

"If that is the decision (benching Vick) the coach wants to make I support it"

- Mike Vick 10-28-12

In other words you got nothing as usual. :overhead:

First of all, I did not choose a name related to fecal matter, is Mr. pooh a fecapheliac? Probably. Is he embarrassed about it? No.

Ok now that we got the important stuff out of the way, why are you being a tool here? I am not the one with blinders on. If Vick sucks this bad what is wrong with starting the rookie? What if the rookie plays better than Vick, or at least plays at the same level? I don't think playing at the same caliber that Vick has been at this season should be too hard. If Foles plays at the same level then you know you have a quarterback with the potential to lead a team, without having to wait until next year.

You said it yourself that Vick's suckage isn't news to anyone. If he sucks and you have a player behind him that has the potential to be better, why not try it out? Are you Andy Reid in disguise trying to fool everyone into thinking starting Vick for the rest of the season is the best option? I don't think the Eagle's GM Howie Roseman visits fftoday that often so you may want to post this stuff on ESPN.

HTH

Foles is not going to play any worse than Vick. If he plays at the same level or better how is that going to change Red's job status for next year?

Foles is not going to play any worse than Vick. If he plays at the same level or better how is that going to change Red's job status for next year?

ok nostradamus, whatever you say...you know for a fact a rook taken in the 3rd round will not play any worse than Vick. Got it. Thanks.

And putput, Vick saying he'll support Reid's decision to bench him equates to Reid wanting to bench him? You really need to take a logic 101 class...

ok nostradamus, whatever you say...you know for a fact a rook taken in the 3rd round will not play any worse than Vick. Got it. Thanks.

And putput, Vick saying he'll support Reid's decision to bench him equates to Reid wanting to bench him? You really need to take a logic 101 class...

Yes, I do. If I were Reid I would be sick of starting a RB at QB also.

Yes, I do. If I were Reid I would be sick of starting a RB at QB also.

call the owner up, 90% chance they'll have an opening for next year. You sound like you're most qualified for the job...

call the owner up, 90% chance they'll have an opening for next year. You sound like you're most qualified for the job...

Maybe I will. I would start Foles and put Vick in a dog kennel.

Vick plays the Saints next week. If he can't get anything going against them, then all bets are off

Vick plays the Saints next week. If he can't get anything going against them, then all bets are off

Exactly. The Saints and their historically bad defense might save Vick's season. If he has a good game against them (and it's hard not to) and can get on a roll, there's no way he's getting pulled.

Citing a person with knowledge of the situation, Reuben Frank of CSN Philly reports Michael Vick has not been benched for rookie Nick Foles, and Vick remains the Eagles' starting quarterback "as of now."

Frank did add enough caution to his report that he's allowing for an internal change of heart from the Eagles' organization. Updating previous items, coach Andy Reid's Monday press conference has been canceled due to Hurricane Sandy, so we won't be getting concrete clarification today. Consider Vick the Eagles' starter until we hear otherwise from Big Red himself. The Eagles face the Saints at the Superdome on Monday Night Football in Week 9. Source: Reuben Frank on Twitter Oct 29 - 2:14 PM

If the Eagles face a deficit similar to the one they had Sunday at halftime Monday night, Vick will be benched and Foles will play this upcoming week.

Vick is on a quarter to quarter basis as of now.

He can't make quick decisions and holds onto the ball too long hoping for the big plays that the Eagles had success with in previous seasons. Unfortunately those aren't there any more. A make shift O-line can only block for so long. He needs to be throwing quickly..but he doesn't appear to have the capabilities to properly read and react to the defenses.

Foles can not...CANNOT do any worse for this team should the Eagles lose to New Orleans. Not to mention, if they lose, they'll be behind Arizona, New Orleans, and Detroit for tie breakers. They'll be 1-4 in the conference.

Its over if they lose Monday. Over for the Eagles. Over for Reid. Over for Vick.

Report: Reid wanted to bench Vick last season A source with knowledge of the situation tells Profootballtalk.com that Eagles coach Andy Reid has been considering benching Michael Vick since the halfway point of last season.

The Eagles started last season 3-6, and Reid was reportedly "hoping" Vince Young would play well enough to supplant Vick as the starter. Young didn't come close to meeting Reid's expectations, of course, so he was forced to turn back to Vick. Per PFT's Mike Florio, it's becoming a "foregone conclusion" that Vick won't be back with Philadelphia in 2013 at his $15.5 million salary. It's expected that the Eagles will release Vick "right after the Super Bowl." Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports Oct 29 - 3:36 PM

HTH

I totally disagree. It's the opposite, actually. Reid is coaching for his job. He is in a position now that he can blame it all on Vick. But in order to do that, he has to act like he's taking action on it. So he benches Vick, starts Foles. If and when Foles sucks he chalks it up to a rookie QB learning curve and hopefully gets a 15th chance with the Luries. If he is actually better than Vick, everyone cheers and calls him a hero.

If he keeps Vick in, he's done.

The ONLY way Reid can save his job is to start Foles and have Foles win. He will then get credit for benching Vick and having the cojones to go with the rookie, while earning back the respect of the organization and fans!

Otherwise, FatMan & DogKiller are both out!

In other words the fat stach knows he's gone & he might as well take Vick with him.

Vick is gone anyway.

In other words the fat stach knows he's gone & he might as well take Vick with him.

Vick was already going with him. IMO the only thing he can do is dump Vick and cross his fingers that Foles may actually come out and look like a decent NFL QB. It's a long shot, but he's out of options.

Vick was already going with him. IMO the only thing he can do is dump Vick and cross his fingers that Foles may actually come out and look like a decent NFL QB. It's a long shot, but he's out of options.

Unless the Eagles go to the playoffs, and I don't think they will, Reid gets fired. He just spent over $100 million of the owners money on new contracts and big ticket free agents and the roster has holes all over. This will be their 5th straight year without a playoff win. Reid is 1-5 in championship games. The fans and media are calling for his head.

Assuming the Eagles lose to the Saints they'll be 3-5. Files would need to go 6-2 to have any shot at the postseason. 7-1 more likely. He's maybe the most immobile QB since Jeff George and our OL is in shambles.

Either Vick wins next week and gets a reprieve or he loses and nothing Reid can do will save his own job. If Foles sees the field it's cause Reid has pretty much resigned.

Unless the Eagles go to the playoffs, and I don't think they will, Reid gets fired. He just spent over $100 million of the owners money on new contracts and big ticket free agents and the roster has holes all over. This will be their 5th straight year without a playoff win. Reid is 1-5 in championship games. The fans and media are calling for his head.

Assuming the Eagles lose to the Saints they'll be 3-5. Files would need to go 6-2 to have any shot at the postseason. 7-1 more likely. He's maybe the most immobile QB since Jeff George and our OL is in shambles.

Either Vick wins next week and gets a reprieve or he loses and nothing Reid can do will save his own job. If Foles sees the field it's cause Reid has pretty much resigned.

I understand what you are saying, and like I said, it's just my opinion. Vick is going to be gone after this year, no matter what. And there's a 99% chance that Reid is going too. I just think at this point he may toss out a hail mary and sit Vick hoping Foles shows some promise and he can blame the whole debacle on Vick (and Castillo) and convince Lurie that he has big plans that are going to work for the future. It's pure speculation, but at this point, keeping Vick in is not going to save his job. I said above, he's out of options. At this point he may as well throw shiit at the wall and see if anything sticks.

:shrugs: We'll see. I don't think it's completely outside of the realm of possibility that we see Foles at the QB position the second half this week, if not earlier.

I understand what you are saying, and like I said, it's just my opinion. Vick is going to be gone after this year, no matter what. And there's a 99% chance that Reid is going too. I just think at this point he may toss out a hail mary and sit Vick hoping Foles shows some promise and he can blame the whole debacle on Vick (and Castillo) and convince Lurie that he has big plans that are going to work for the future. It's pure speculation, but at this point, keeping Vick in is not going to save his job. I said above, he's out of options. At this point he may as well throw shiit at the wall and see if anything sticks.

:shrugs: We'll see. I don't think it's completely outside of the realm of possibility that we see Foles at the QB position the second half this week, if not earlier.

I think it's totally outside the realm of possibility that Foles starts next week. For one thing they're 3-4 so it's really too early to give up in the season. If they win they're .500 and looking at a slightly softer second half schedule.

And the situation is just terrible. If you really want to get fired trot Foles out there and watch him get crushed on MNF at the Superdome. If Vick looks terrible he could get the hook but Reid would be nuts to go with Foles in that situation.

Now if they lose on MNF you're looking at 3-5 and then it gets interesting. At that point Reid could go with Foles because the season is just about over. Even if Foles looks great though, the best you could really hope for is an 8-8 year and I just can't believe Reid stays on with that record.

My prediction is that Vick plays a lot better on MNF and win or lose holds onto the job until we hit 6-7 losses at which point the year is over. Foles plays out the last 4 or so and looks decent as a game manager but its not enough to save the coaches job.

8-8 and Reid gets fired thank god.

I think it's totally outside the realm of possibility that Foles starts next week. For one thing they're 3-4 so it's really too early to give up in the season.

Actually, that's a good reason to put in Foles. The kid is better than you think.

8-8 and Reid gets fired thank god.

I don't even think they'll hit .500 :banana:

Foles won't start the game. That is 100%. What I was saying is it's not outside the realm of possibility that if Vick is putrid against NO he gets pulled at half time if not earlier. It being MNF does change this a bit. But if Vick comes out and is miserable, the Eagles getting embarrassed on national TV should be enough to make the move. Maybe...

I'm going to admit..... I haven't watched a full Eagles game since week 1. I.just.can't.take.it.anymore. I turn on Red Zone and don't even give a fock what the Eagles are doing and that won't change until Reid is gone. It would be one thing if they were rebuilding or the team just sucked and you are cheering them on with very low expectations. I can live through down years and still watch and be a good fan. This team is not supposed to be this bad. This team should NOT be this bad. I just can't take it anymore. I root for them to lose. I want them to do so poorly there is absolutely no chance Reid gets a new contract after this year.

Imma be dancing at city hall the day it is announced that fat Andy will no longer be in Philadelphia.

I don't even think they'll hit .500 :banana:

Foles won't start the game. That is 100%. What I was saying is it's not outside the realm of possibility that if Vick is putrid against NO he gets pulled at half time if not earlier. It being MNF does change this a bit. But if Vick comes out and is miserable, the Eagles getting embarrassed on national TV should be enough to make the move. Maybe...

I'm going to admit..... I haven't watched a full Eagles game since week 1. I.just.can't.take.it.anymore. I turn on Red Zone and don't even give a fock what the Eagles are doing and that won't change until Reid is gone. It would be one thing if they were rebuilding or the team just sucked and you are cheering them on with very low expectations. I can live through down years and still watch and be a good fan. This team is not supposed to be this bad. This team should NOT be this bad. I just can't take it anymore. I root for them to lose. I want them to do so poorly there is absolutely no chance Reid gets a new contract after this year.

Imma be dancing at city hall the day it is announced that fat Andy will no longer be in Philadelphia.

Well I got two things both bad news:

1. This team is that bad. On O we got a brittle inaccurate QB, a pair of #2 caliber wideouts and a terrible OL. McCoy is the only player who scares opposing D's even a little. On D the safety play still sucks, both CBs are overrated and the front 7 meh. This team is the definition of average on paper and on the field.

2. It'll get worse before it gets better.

Go sixers!