Sign in to follow this  
Gandalfs Fireworks

Legal assist needed

I've been building out the parameters of a consulting business the past several months. Right now I have all my legal forms ready to go (contract, service level agreement, confidentiality agreement). God bless the internet and its wonderful sites offering free sample templates of legal forms!

However, I need to ensure that my customers keep the advice they received from me to themselves. Or at least I need to *try* to ensure they keep it to themselves. So, something that is somewhat different from a Mutual Non-disclosure Agreement.

The advice I'll be giving my clients is going to help them make more money at what they are already doing but will not be intended to increase their presence in the market or give them any competitive advantage over other similar businesses. Given that, I am vulnerable to having my valuable advice shared amongst friends. Of course a piece of paper doesn't keep them from gabbing, but its all I can really do to try to protect myself.

Any of our resident legal types have a suggestion?

I've been building out the parameters of a consulting business the past several months. Right now I have all my legal forms ready to go (contract, service level agreement, confidentiality agreement). God bless the internet and its wonderful sites offering free sample templates of legal forms!

However, I need to ensure that my customers keep the advice they received from me to themselves. Or at least I need to *try* to ensure they keep it to themselves. So, something that is somewhat different from a Mutual Non-disclosure Agreement.

The advice I'll be giving my clients is going to help them make more money at what they are already doing but will not be intended to increase their presence in the market or give them any competitive advantage over other similar businesses. Given that, I am vulnerable to having my valuable advice shared amongst friends. Of course a piece of paper doesn't keep them from gabbing, but its all I can really do to try to protect myself.

The NDA should include "work product", which is the advice that you provide. You just need to make sure that you broadly define that work product. With things like that, you will have to take them to court because remedies are really hard to define when someone discloses information that can irreparably harm a business.

You probably don't know if the forms you've gleaned from the internet are suitable for your needs or enforceable. The best advice I can give you is to consult with an attorney in your area.

Worms ? :lol:

What? :dunno:

If you're implying that I should have answered him, he is asking a very specific question that can only be answered through consulting with appropriate legal counsel in his area. I can't help him.

After 11 years here, I'd come to expect that any question posed in the forearm would receive a thoughtful, accurate and expert response.

#letdownmotherfckers

You've only been a member since 2010. :dunno: