Sign in to follow this  
thesitedoc

How soon on Jimmy Graham?

In years past, grabbing Sean Alexander, Priest Holmes or LT #1 overall was a distinct advantage because these guys were in a tier of their own.

This year, with Gronkowski potentially missing some time, Graham stands to be the one guy at his position that can net your team a +4/5 points each week.

While I wouldn't consider him #1 overall, should he crack the top 5 if not the top 10. This is a bit of VBD thinking and VBD has it's flaws because it's only as good as your projections but this guy, barring injury is reasonably/predictably going to score 50 more points then the next best TE.

I personally think 2nd is too high but if you want him that's the price you will probably have to pay.

Cautiously optimistic that Graham will return to 2011 glory now that Payton is back. But I saw enough drops and disappearing acts and a slow-healing ankle injury last year to cause concern. Still, his floor is 1,000 yards, 10 TDs if healthy, so he's certainly not going to kill you if you take him high.

How many points will he score? Thats the question that I keep asking myself and you should too. I think Jimmy should be good for 1200 and 9 which in a standard equates to 174 points. Thats a great year, but not worthy of that high of a pick IMO. If he caps out and hits his ceiling say 1500 yds and 15 tds equaling 225 points then he is absolutely worth a high 2nd rounder. You also have to figure out what your projections are for the field. Most people want to wait late if they can't get value on Jimmy, but even if you went for a higher tier TE, Vernon Davis, for instance. I think Jimmy should outscore him by around 30 points on a normal season. If he goes off then he will just about double him up. Vernon is ranked around the 3 spot by most people, so how many positions could you say the 1st ranked has a chance to almost double the production of the 3rd best at that position?

Edit: He will likely hit my lower projections which I think makes him a touch over rated considering you would be taking him instead of someone like Dez who you could later pair with Vernon Davis. That group would probably outscore a Jimmy Graham + Jordy Nelson IMO. I am sure others may feel differently.

Got the 12th pick in 12 team non ppr and trying to talk myself out of taking him with first 2 picks. He's in a tier by himself and no way he's there with my 3rd and 4th picks

I've got Graham as having a 3-4 (depending on PPR vs Standard) point advantage over the next TE in my rankings and that lands him squarely in the early 2nd round. If wanted him, I wouldn't be afraid to take him in round 2. The projected weekly scoring advantage you'd have over your opponents' TE is worth the risk IMO.

Middle to late 2nd rounder. I think he scores easily 12 td's this season. Just a hunch.

I think he represents tremendous value if you can get him late second near the 2/3 turn. That said, if someone does draft him before me Witten who has been getting some red zone looks in practice and V Davis who is lining up in the slot and at WR also look to close the gap between Graham and Tier 2

I think he's fine to take in the second, but just like with QB, I rarely like to take one of the first few TEs off the board. Since you generally only start one at either of those positions, you're somewhat limiting your flexibility late if, say, a guy like Witten were to slip to the 7th round. With all that said, I do think Graham is a good pick early as long as you don't also take a QB in the first 3 rounds. RB/Graham looks like a nice alternative to RB/WR since there are so many potential breakout candidates at WR in the 6th-10th round.

In 12 owner 1PPR leagues, he is a very reasonable candidate for the mid 2nd round, because of the expected fantasy point differential (20+ fpts) over the season from him to the next nearest TE.

But he is probably a secondary target to some others on my list for round 2. If he's still there at my mid 3rd roud pick, he'd probably be my top option.

I am going to try to pick him up for my 21st pick. I'm first to draft in a 10-man league, so if he is still available I will be grabbing him.

Im undecided on Graham. We get 1 keeper, then start the draft. I'll have a RB as my keeper and pick 1.12/2.01. If I don't get Graham I'm tempted to wait to grab Cook but again, tough to say where he goes because everyone has mixed feelings.

i'll take the red nosed reindeer in the later rounds and grab a good WR instead of graham