Sign in to follow this  
Kozz

September 11, 2001 Thread

I remember on this board, when the planes hit NY, there was a thread about it going on live. First we thought it was an accident, and then reality set in when we found out a second plane hit.

Mike, is there any way to get that thread back up to look at again?

Thanks.

I remembe seeing that first post announcing the plane hitting the building, so I turned on my radio, was listening to the news when the second one it.....I stepped out of my office door for some reason and looked down the hallway, only to find others doing the same, just looking at each other with a sense of wonder, disbelief and shock.

Looking bad, that was such an odd sort of group-think action.

Wasn't working that day, slept late, got up and turned the TV on after the first plane hit and was watching a couple of talking heads go on about what happened...and as they are talking you see behind them the 2nd plane hit live! And then for 30 seconds or so they are still talking without knowing what happened, while the building is starting to burn, and you literally see it as the news fed to him and his expression just changes to WTF.

For some reason that always struck me as surreal.

I was driving to work listening to NPR news. A bulletin came in and the announcer said a plane had hit the WTC building and it could possibly be terrorist related. All I could imagine in my mind was a little Cessna, and I remember laughing in my head thinking, try again you morons. When I got to the store I put the TV by the register and had CNN on and I watched as the second plane hit, and later as the buildings fell. I have never in my life felt so helpless and in a sickened awe.

This is our Pearl Harbor. It's still so sad and shocking to watch and think about. All of it. The people jumping from the buildings above the fire. That was just an absolutely EVIL day.

I remember on this board, when the planes hit NY, there was a thread about it going on live. First we thought it was an accident, and then reality set in when we found out a second plane hit.

Mike, is there any way to get that thread back up to look at again?

Thanks.

That thread is long gone from this bored.

However, it has been saved over the years into some other format by others. Someone may come by to post it.

I was in Business Accounting class. Sone dumbass came in at the start class saying some idiot crashed his plane into the Empire State building and started laughing. I thought it was a little Cessna oe something.

About 15 minutes later, someone frantically knocked on the door and said a second plane hit and said "we are at war". Everyone in class sh!t their pants and the professor canceled the lecture.

I just remember going home and calling my dad. He just said "get ready to be drafted".

I was stationed at Malmstrom AFB in Great Falls, Montana at the time. Since it was a ICBM facility, I can tell you that all hell broke loose over the following 2-3 days. Armed troops walking the base. The base was on complete lock down. No one entered, no one left. Period.

About 3-4 days later I witnessed a Pepsi delivery guy get pulled from his drivers seat, thrown to the ground, boot on his back & a gun to his head because his paperwork was either wrong or missing. Bloodied that boy up good. He was screaming & crying during it all. They told him to shut up & not to move. K9s were going crazy too. Base went back on lock down until they swept his truck & searched him. They also had to verify the delivery from Pepsi to the Commissary. Very scary. One of the most f'd up things I've ever witnessed.

That thread is long gone from this bored.

However, it has been saved over the years into some other format by others. Someone may come by to post it.

Sadly the Internet Wayback Machine did not happen to save the boards during September of 2001, so the thread does not appear to be archived.

I remember the 9/11 thread as well. Wish we could see it again. Puts things in perspective. It was my 2nd day on the job working at a radio station. We went strictly to ABC news for the next week. The world seemed to shut down.

Someone had a pdf of it. I might have that somewhere too. I had it at one time.

I remember getting to work, coming here and saw the thread and since I was pretty much the only guy in NYC here I posted:

"Confirmed. Both towers hit." ... or something like that ... of course not realizing you all were watching it on TV and already knew that.

I remember the 9/11 thread as well. Wish we could see it again. Puts things in perspective. It was my 2nd day on the job working at a radio station. We went strictly to ABC news for the next week. The world seemed to shut down.

And then Clear Channel decided to ban any song that could remotely possibly be offensive to victims from the airwaves (which might not have been such a big deal if they didn't do it in the most arbitrary and haphazard way imaginable and include numerous songs that were as related to the incident as Kevin Bacon was).

Still sad thinking about it. I was next to my secretary after the first tower was hit and she was on the phone with her husband who was working in the second tower. She was telling him to get out and I was on the phone with my wife, listening to this woman talk to her husband. My wife says "Oh my God, another plane hit the other tower" and at the same time, I hear my secretary going "honey....honey.......?" His phone goes dead. She looks at me and I tell her that the building got hit. Holy crap. So scary. Good news is that the guy got out before it collapsed.