Sign in to follow this  
MaineVigorish

Fantasy Baseball?

With football season nearing the end, I'm scrambling to fill the void already. I've never played Fantasy Baseball, and I've got some friends together from various football leagues who also want to give it a shot.

If you've played before let me know your thoughts...best format, scoring, # of teams in a league, etc...

Thanks

I stopped playing a few years ago. Season is too long and having to check lineups every days gets tiresome.

• Like 1

rostisserie. take the head-to-head luck factor out of it. 12+ teams like football.

Only problem with roto is that you could easily have 3/4 of the teams out of it by the ASG...

I stopped playing a few years ago. Season is too long and having to check lineups every days gets tiresome.

I check my lineup daily for football. I see no problem. Ha

I've played fantasy baseball twice and finished first and second place and I am nowhere near a baseball fan/expert. It's probably 5th on my list of sports I pay attention to. All I did was notice who was doing well on the FA lists and add them. I noticed baseball is a game of hot streaks so other than the 3 or 4 studs on my team I would just swap out players in slumps for players on the FA pool who were doing well and it worked very well.

I've played fantasy baseball twice and finished first and second place and I am nowhere near a baseball fan/expert. It's probably 5th on my list of sports I pay attention to. All I did was notice who was doing well on the FA lists and add them. I noticed baseball is a game of hot streaks so other than the 3 or 4 studs on my team I would just swap out players in slumps for players on the FA pool who were doing well and it worked very well.

How many teams? Was the league competitive?

My fear with choosing people for a 14 team H2H 6x6 baseball league is that people who aren't committed will get bored and lazy and not last the season... Football is so different in this country and is like a drug for the sports viewing public... I'm a football addict, but I do follow baseball and I think doing FBB will make me want to follow it more...

I dont like the catagorical scoring of head to head leagues. If my team hits 40 HR during the week and your hits 39, i get one point. If my team hits 40, and yours hits five, my team gets....one point. Also, ive played two seasons and i cant remember one time watching a baseball game on Sunday praying for some guy to get three singles to win me a matchup. No drama at all. Weekly matchups are often determined by which team's players have less days off during the week. I basically lived in first place all season last year in the Geek Homers league, and lost in the first round of the playoffs in part because a large portion of my team played 6 games, whlie my opponent had 7 (a situation admittedly exacerbated by the Homer rules of that league). Having to check every day if guys are in their teams real life lineup or not can be a hassle, especially if you work a non traditional workschedule like i do

That said i'll probably play again, because what the hell else is their to do during the NFL offseason.

With football season nearing the end, I'm scrambling to fill the void already. I've never played Fantasy Baseball, and I've got some friends together from various football leagues who also want to give it a shot.

If you've played before let me know your thoughts...best format, scoring, # of teams in a league, etc...

Thanks

I like it...some like the roto.

I prefer head to head. Have done a very competitive CBS league with friends for a while now and a roto league through Yahoo.

Last year we did the auction draft for the first time and I think we will keep doing that for a while. Loved it.

It takes a lot more time though as you have games every day to keep track of and watch injuries.

Can also be frustrating when you have weekly lineups and set a guy in there and he either gets hurt Monday or gets sent to the DL on Tuesday or something when the team acted like he would be fine.

Whatever you do, make sure its a weekly line up. Season is way to long to sub guys in and out daily.

I'd advocate H2H over rotissere too, unless you have some serious nerds you'll find guys drop out after mid season and they've got no shot. Imagine playing in a football league with only total points scoring, but that season has 25+ weeks. It gets lame.

Make sure your catagories are logical as well, and the less the better. For example, instead of having catagories for singles, doubles, and triples, use total bases. You should never be rooting for a guy to hit a single instead of a home run. I also like a balance between hitting and pitching catagories.

That being said, I've played two seasons of a H2H league on CBS where points were awarded similar to fantasy football (1 point per single, 2 points for a double, 1 point per RBI, 1 point per run, etc) and it was a blast. Not as common as tho

I think it would be hard to find enough people willing to do daily lineups.

It would be a huge advantage to those who can do more from work and such.

It definitely can get old by the end of the season.

The draft and the first few weeks can get exciting.

By the playoffs its exciting again when you make it...but man it gets the point you just want it over with. Kind of like the real baseball season.

Fantasy golf is fun if you watch a lot of golf. I did fantasy bass fishing once too but espn doesn't have it anymore. Go figure.

Whatever you do, make sure its a weekly line up. Season is way to long to sub guys in and out daily.

Wrong... Totally wrong...

I like it cause it is everyday and the long season takes some of the "luck" out of it that football has. :thumbsup:

Why? are you advocating daily line ups over weekly?

Because daily lineups are better...

With daily lineups you have fantasy football every day for 180 days...

If someone gets injured on Monday, you can put someone new in on Tuesday to field a complete lineup...

Pitching probables can easily change...

If there is a rain out and you have a lot of players from those games, you will lose those stats... With counting numbers you can't afford that...

There are many other reasons, but if you are only going to do weekly lineups, then I suggest not even playing fantasy baseball because you aren't experiencing the best thing about it...

Because daily lineups are better...

With daily lineups you have fantasy football every day for 180 days...

If someone gets injured on Monday, you can put someone new in on Tuesday to field a complete lineup...

Pitching probables can easily change...

If there is a rain out and you have a lot of players from those games, you will lose those stats... With counting numbers you can't afford that...

There are many other reasons, but if you are only going to do weekly lineups, then I suggest not even playing fantasy baseball because you aren't experiencing the best thing about it...

Valid points. I'm enough of a fantasy degenerate that this would not bother me, but fielding a 14 team league with people who would have the same laser focus and interest for the length of baseball season, especially the dog days of summer, is what I'm worried about with Daily Line-ups...

Valid points. I'm enough of a fantasy degenerate that this would not bother me, but fielding a 14 team league with people who would have the same laser focus and interest for the length of baseball season, especially the dog days of summer, is what I'm worried about with Daily Line-ups...

That is the one thing to worry about and it will take time to find that many people to stay interested that long... But if you can and go daily, it will maximize the "fun" level IMO...

With daily line ups you NEED to check EVERY day, since as you said probable pitchers change, guys get rest days, teams have off days, etc. So if your not checking it daily your handicapping yourself severely. If you have the time and want to put forth that kind of effort, and can find enough people that feel the same to fill out the league, go ahead. But I think the vast majority of people don't have the time, or simply don't want to devote that much time to fantasy baseball. Setting and checking a line up 25 or some times is plenty, setting and checking a line up 180 times is nuts IMO.

Another reason why I prefer weekly leagues is that you actually have a "staff" of five SP that you decide on before the week - they start and average of 6 to 8 times depending on how many two start guys you have. In daily league, your really only limited to how deep your benches are as you can start every pitcher on your roster every time he pitches. Personally, I feel the former option is a closer to the spirit of the game.