Sign in to follow this  
prisoners

Monte Ball or Doug Martin for next season?

Does Ball emerge as the main RB or does Moreno keep his carries? Will Martin come back from his injuries and does it even matter given how the expectations in Tampa are once again very low?

Neither Im staying away from them. Knowshon has been doing well so they will probably share the ball 70%-30% in Knowshon's favor. Doug Martin might do good but too risky unless taken late in rounds.

I think timeshare is the most likely situation for both. I'll likely avoid both, though in the old school TD league I play in I expect Ball to be a hot ticket.

I will take Doug for next season. It is all about opportunities. Ball is a very good player, but I like Doug Martin's situations better.

I will take Doug for next season. It is all about opportunities. Ball is a very good player, but I like Doug Martin's situations better.

Curious as to why you think it's a better situation? Worse team, backup who did an outstanding job, young QB who is going to have to deal with a new staff is what I look at.

I loved Martin's situation this year with my #2 pick until he got hurt and made my #2 pick the worst pick of the draft. I put him right around Ball's value. A second teamer who really did nothing this year.

Doug Martin is getting a head coach and more importantly a running backs coach that feeds the backfield a seven course meal throughout the season.

Neither Thomas Jones nor Matt Forte ever rushed for under 900 yards in any of the years both Lovie and the RB coach were there. Now both coaches are in Tampa with quality pieces on the offensive line

Does Ball emerge as the main RB or does Moreno keep his carries? Will Martin come back from his injuries and does it even matter given how the expectations in Tampa are once again very low?

i will wait until august

Doug Martin is getting a head coach and more importantly a running backs coach that feeds the backfield a seven course meal throughout the season.

Neither Thomas Jones nor Matt Forte ever rushed for under 900 yards in any of the years both Lovie and the RB coach were there. Now both coaches are in Tampa with quality pieces on the offensive line

CJ Spiller had a coach who was going to feed him the ball till he threw up. The only person that threw up was me!

John Fox loves committees so its Martin by default.

I don't think the numbers bear that out.

A quick look shows that 4 times in his 13 years as a HC, one single RB got fewer than 65-70% of all the team's RB carries. One of those seasons was his worst ever at 2-14.

If the assumption is that Ball is going to take carries away from Moreno, who was reliable, productive and relatively healthy this year, doesn't it stand to reason that Martin, who was none of those things, would lose carries to Rainey and/or James, both of whom showed lots of promise?

Well it's academic at this point. I was trying to plan ahead and decide which one to keep but I ended up trading for Reggie Bush instead. ($100 cap league; Ball and Martin would've each been $22 to keep..Bush is $8) thanks guys.

Remember Moreno is an unrestricted free agent and assuming he gets a decent contract, he will be gone from the Broncos. Assuming Denver doesn't draft a RB high, Ball will get a ton of carries and catches as I don't expect Ronnie Hillman to be a factor. It'll be interesting to see what Doug Martin does with a new head coach as his value will be lower than it was last year.

I think both players have a lot of potential next season and will have a short time frame to buy low. The hype train on Montee Ball isn't going to start until after the Super Bowl. If Knowshon Moreno leaves the Broncos in free agency, Ball might even receive more hype than David Wilson did a year ago.

If I had to choose one for a dynasty team, I'd still say Doug Martin. In re-drafts, I might have them both in the same tier if Manning stays and Moreno leaves

I think both players have a lot of potential next season and will have a short time frame to buy low. The hype train on Montee Ball isn't going to start until after the Super Bowl. If Knowshon Moreno leaves the Broncos in free agency, Ball might even receive more hype than David Wilson did a year ago.

If I had to choose one for a dynasty team, I'd still say Doug Martin. In re-drafts, I might have them both in the same tier if Manning stays and Moreno leaves

I'd definitely take Ball in a dynasty league, a couple years younger and not coming off a major injury.

I'll be going after Ball if the price is right. Could be a great mid-round steal depending on his ADP

Well it's academic at this point. I was trying to plan ahead and decide which one to keep but I ended up trading for Reggie Bush instead. ($100 cap league; Ball and Martin would've each been $22 to keep..Bush is $8) thanks guys.

Risky. When Bush is not hurt and not fumbling he is great. Unfortunately he is both for a large portion of the season. And those knees are another year older.

I don't think the numbers bear that out.

A quick look shows that 4 times in his 13 years as a HC, one single RB got fewer than 65-70% of all the team's RB carries. One of those seasons was his worst ever at 2-14.

If the assumption is that Ball is going to take carries away from Moreno, who was reliable, productive and relatively healthy this year, doesn't it stand to reason that Martin, who was none of those things, would lose carries to Rainey and/or James, both of whom showed lots of promise?

I'm not sure Rainey will be a factor in that backfield next season, barring injury. The thing to keep in mind was the Tampa offensive line struggled early, then really kicked into high gear later in the season. Also look at the QB situation. It took Glennon awhile to get comfortable. I would like to have seen Martin in that offense as the season progressed.

I'm not sure Rainey will be a factor in that backfield next season, barring injury. The thing to keep in mind was the Tampa offensive line struggled early, then really kicked into high gear later in the season. Also look at the QB situation. It took Glennon awhile to get comfortable. I would like to have seen Martin in that offense as the season progressed.

Glennon actually seemed to come out on fire and then kind of fizzled as the year went on.