Sign in to follow this  
phillybear

****The Official Seattle Seahawks Offseason Thread 2014****

I don't mind Bailey filling in at guard, but he could have us missing Mcquistan (HAHAHA!!!) protecting the blindside.

The day I start missing Fat Ginger is the day I need to quit sniffing glue. That guy's best attribute was his ability to play three positions with consistent mediocrity.

Also, I think Bailey can be a more than serviceable backup LT. Between him and Bowie, in general, I think Bailey has more upside, although I think both of them are quality. And both of them were UDFAs I think or at best 7th rounders.

I think I am done with the NFL draft. I simply can't watch this over and over and expect another result. As good as this front office is at so many, many things, including winning the fricking Super Bowl, they bungle the first couple round of the NFL draft pretty much every single year now. In my mind, the 6th season of LOST doesn't exist. The series ended after Season 5. The NFL draft doesn't exist until Saturday. Done and done.

The reason this draft is such a colossal, utter, and total failure is that going into the draft the one weakness on this team was the offensive line. One single weakness. We all knew it. It's one of the worst offensive lines in football. Run blocking wise, it's OK, but Lynch is doing a lot of it on his own. The pass blocking is atrocious.

Our starters going into the draft: Okung, Carpenter, Unger, Sweezey, Bowie.

Coming out of the draft, our starters: Okung, Carpenter, Unger, Sweezey, Bowie.

Um, we ended up with NINE picks. What the fock did we do to fix the weakness on the team with any of these picks. We let Tom Cable pick a Pepsi Machine in the 2nd round to be an NFL turnstile. Cable based the pick entirely on how Britt blocked against Clowney. Um, Cable, in case you haven't heard, Clowney spend last year half assing it, playing not to get injured before his pay day and everybody knew it other than Tom Cable. Then we grabbed some guy late who was stunned he was drafted by anybody as he was getting ready to get on with his life without football. What is going on here? Russell Wilson is going to eventually get decapitated. The line stinks. It can't pass block. Carpenter is still starting and he's a bust. Everybody knows it. How often does Okung stay healthy? Fock. Our backups stink because all the good ones have to start. Except Bailey, who is going to backup Okung.

The WR Richardson is a whatever. People love his speed. He made some plays going against the non existent Pac-12 defenses. His size is a concern, but everybody says he will bulk up. Guess what? When you add size to somebody, he will no longer be as fast. It's simple physics. Nevertheless, he might work out at the #5 or #6 WR on this team, I guess. No worries. Like telling the retarded kid in the huddle, just go deep. OK, now everybody else, here's the real play.

The third day picks are a bunch of misfits. Other than possibly the fullback, none of them have a chance of competing for any playing time this year. Some of them will be stashed on IR or PUP or practice squad or some other tricks to keep them around. I guess the coaching staffs do a good job in developing players, so some of them will have a chance down the road. I'm not going to nitpick on these guys. I just wish that there weren't so many guys that we picked that had zero film available on them because they had no expectation of being drafted. For every Bowie, there is a Toomer or Koonz. I'll keep an open mind.

But, last year, we had a subpar draft, to date. While this team had a sh!tload of overall talent last year, we lost a bunch of guys including starters this offseason. I'm not feeling all that optimistic of whoever is still on the roster from that 2013 draft being able to step up and fill roles. Clearly, none of them will start with the exception of Bowie, the 7th round pick. Nobody else is close to starting. Then we add this year's group, none of which will come close to starting or being a key backup. How come we never try to improve a key starting position, like at the offensive line? Sure, it's a developmental program, where you hope these guys can contribute 3-4 years down the road, but really, not a single guy can contribute now? That's what's frustrating. We are standing still. It's like we don't want to add any impact players that can help us NOW with the early picks in a draft. On purpose our out of spite or something. Baltimore and Green Bay can manage a draft early, but Seattle can't? Who knows how long this window to win will be open.

I think my overall disgust at the draft was ignoring the offensive line when there were so many opportunities to do so. Wilson is going to get hurt sooner or later. The NFC West defenses are going to pound him silly. Maybe we will continue to sift through the bodies out there in UDFA and find some gems.

Then, as I'm perusing the UDFA list, turns out Seattle has picked up

Jackson Jeffcoat, DE, Texas

Dion Bailey, SS, USC

Both I had in the same draft range as Paul Richardson, our highest rated draft pick. The UDFAs are better than our draft picks. I'm at a loss for words.

I think you use to many top 100 lists, Mock drafts, and other people's notes. We simply don't use those as much as you hate it.

You really have to take a step back and evaluate the guy's we picked.

Maybe you did and you still don't like, but I don't share your same ranting views.

Firstly, Bowie and Bailey were both super late picks and were well off anybody's board. I had to dig up tape on them at the time, but realized those were two guy's I liked and saw some good things. They still might blossom into something special for us.

While I agree, we may not have fixed our Oline problem (Because I'm not a fan of Britt) I feel good about what we did.

Lets break down our overall needs:

1. Oline - We picked two of them. I wanted 3 and one of the good guards out there. IF Britt turned out, that would go a long way in helping this position. That being said, I liked what on saw on tape from the other tackle we drafted

SO are you really just going to keep drafting Oline until you fix the one problem you say we only have? No, we do have others.

2. WR - I actually still think this was a huge need. Harvin is always hurt, we lost Tate who helped us a lot during the year. S. Rice they brought back, but this guy is garbage IMO. I won't be surprised if he's cut again. Regardless, he's on the way out. Lockett is done and sucks too. Kearse might be a 1 trick pony going deep. They needed more weapons for sure and one that can seperate and/or leap out of the building.

-To me they solved this issue with the two they brought in. You don't like Richardson, but I do. You can keep looking at his weight, but why not tell me what's not to like other then that?

I see a polished route runner on tape, speed, and he was the leader of that team and made all there plays even when he was double teamed. He was open on routes he didn't get the ball. He's fast enough to help the Oline save some time and allow Wilson to get the ball out quicker. He has a huge verticle jump in the 38 range. SEPERATION - Something none of our wides have. No, Baldwin doens't do it either when he's facing top talent, which G. Tate took on. This was a big need for us. It will help the Oline and Wilson.

3. DE - This was also a need losing Clemmons and we might lose Avril next year. Bennett can play inside when asked too. So DE makes some sense. Also we drafted a DT (Hate him though) But, this was the biggest need just a year ago. So we took 2 D line. I like Marsh.

4. LB - They will all be free agents next year. You really expect all them to come back with Wilson getting a big contract? Nope. They took a really good one. This was also a need of the future and they saw it coming.

5. FB - Huge need. Robinson is gone and we don't have a true FB. This is why we brought Robinson back last year. The other guy's didn't have it. This FB will be plugged right in. Great draft pick.

6. Backup Saftey - We all talked about it. Nothing behind Fred or Chance. Well, now we do have a few. And again, we took more speed and height.

I personally think we nailed a ton of the holes we had. And it was more then just Oline. Wilson did have to hold onto the ball longer then he should have at times. I contribute that to no WR's getting open. (i.e. Seperation)

We also questioned the WR's for a very long time. We got Harvin and suddenly everything is better? Now we lost Tate.

No - WR was a big problem and more weapons for Wilson can never hurt. This helps everybody.

I'm happy with this draft!

I think Ward is being a little hard on the beaver. :)

Arizona, St Louis, and San Francisco improved this weekend.

Seattle did nothing to improve this weekend. Basically, grabbed a few handfuls of sh!t and threw it against a wall, and let's see what happens. Why can't they just trade every 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick they own every year for 3rd day picks only? I could live with that.

That's pretty much where I'm at. Mostly melancholy with a chance of scattered random violence.

This is all Jeff Ireland's fault. :mad: :mad:

Niners aren't ur only threat: Rams will beat Seattle at least once.

Toughest division, not even close, in all football, three teams possibly make playoffs including the Rams.

I think Cable's ability to influence the draft room is on the line with Justin Britt. If in fact he turns into a more than serviceable O-lineman, then I tip my cap while gnashing my teeth about the lack of value there, when we likely could have gotten him in the 4th or 5th rd anyway. If he turns into the next James Carpenter, well, we're back where we started.

The Rams are a QB away from being extremely dangerous.

The Cards are creating Legion of Boom 2.0.

The Niners effectively drafted two additional players this year - Tank Carradine and Marcus Lattimore - because both of those guys are redshirts from last year. Even if Gore declines, they now have Lattimore and Hyde ready to pick up the slack.

Honestly I could see the entire division go 3-3 against each other, and get winning records outside the division. We might have every team go at least 9-7 overall. Amazing when the entire division was dogshite just a few years ago.

the basic problem that PB has with PC and JS on draft day is the philosophy. Which is, they draft for the team, not for the league. They don't care what the league thinks of a guy. Which means by definition, if we overvalue a guy relative to the league, it's a reach. When the opposite happens, we don't hear about it, because some other team takes a guy that wasn't close to the top of our board. This is why we end up with head scratching choices.

the one saving grace is that they also go all maverick like this in the context of a lot of picks. The more picks, the more chances that we can hit on one or two further down the line. I think they realize that and that is why they frequently trade down. We started with six picks and ended up with nine.

Anyone who thinks they are going to be able to accurately mimic an NFL draft board is kidding themselves. You are trying to solve an advanced mathematical equation without a formula. You can't do it which leads to frustration. I mean even Rob Staton and the guys at Field Gulls who put in a ton of time on this stuff were way off target. Other than team insiders no one has access to medical records, interviews, psych reports, individual workouts etc...trying to guess what a team will do, especially a team like Seattle, with just YouTube footage is foolish IMO. Forget about making draft boards just sit back and enjoy the draft!!

the basic problem that PB has with PC and JS on draft day is the philosophy. Which is, they draft for the team, not for the league. They don't care what the league thinks of a guy. Which means by definition, if we overvalue a guy relative to the league, it's a reach. When the opposite happens, we don't hear about it, because some other team takes a guy that wasn't close to the top of our board. This is why we end up with head scratching choices.

the one saving grace is that they also go all maverick like this in the context of a lot of picks. The more picks, the more chances that we can hit on one or two further down the line. I think they realize that and that is why they frequently trade down. We started with six picks and ended up with nine.

The problem I have is foolishly squandering precious draft capital. We watched Stevie Johnson get traded for, what, a 5th round choice this week? In this league, a 5th round pick apparently can be quite valuable. We selected a guy in the 2nd round that nobody, including Missouri fans, nobody thought was going higher than maybe the 5th or 6th round, and was probably not going to be drafted at all. Outside of Tom Cable's skull, nobody esle in the NFL thought the guy was all that good. That is squandering draft capital.

That is fine if they want to march to the beat of a different drum. Don't take a guy 5 round early because you want to show off how you found a guy you think might be a player. Keep trading down, draft him later, or do something else that represents common sense. When you get to the 4th round, do whatever you want. Get cute.

Is anybody else thinking that maybe it's time to get rid of Cable. Our offensive line stinks. We churn players. He constantly recommends players. They stink. He inherited Unger, Okung was drafted #6 overall. Everybody other lineman is....not good.

I think Cable's ability to influence the draft room is on the line with Justin Britt. If in fact he turns into a more than serviceable O-lineman, then I tip my cap while gnashing my teeth about the lack of value there, when we likely could have gotten him in the 4th or 5th rd anyway. If he turns into the next James Carpenter, well, we're back where we started.

The Rams are a QB away from being extremely dangerous.

The Cards are creating Legion of Boom 2.0.

The Niners effectively drafted two additional players this year - Tank Carradine and Marcus Lattimore - because both of those guys are redshirts from last year. Even if Gore declines, they now have Lattimore and Hyde ready to pick up the slack.

Honestly I could see the entire division go 3-3 against each other, and get winning records outside the division. We might have every team go at least 9-7 overall. Amazing when the entire division was dogshite just a few years ago.

I'm going to respectfully disagree. I had this same disagreement with Philly when the Hawks drafted Tatupu. Unless you know what every team's draft board looks like there is no way to say that the Hawks could or could not have gotten Britt in the 4/5th rounds. In fact JS said in his interview that they knew Britt was going to be taken in the 3rd round and wouldn't make it back to them in rd 4. Just because the Kipers and Mayocks say a guy is a 5th rounder doesn't make it so. Does that mean this is going to the be the answer at RT? No! I just don't buy the talk that the Hawks could have gotten him 2-3 rounds later.

Anyone who thinks they are going to be able to accurately mimic an NFL draft board is kidding themselves. You are trying to solve an advanced mathematical equation without a formula. You can't do it which leads to frustration. I mean even Rob Staton and the guys at Field Gulls who put in a ton of time on this stuff were way off target. Other than team insiders no one has access to medical records, interviews, psych reports, individual workouts etc...trying to guess what a team will do, especially a team like Seattle, with just YouTube footage is foolish IMO. Forget about making draft boards just sit back and enjoy the draft!!

My board is pretty solid, surprisingly. I will also bet on around 30 college football games a week, so let's just say that I watch a lot of college football very closely as well.

Certain NFL teams will stack players certain ways and throw in curveballs with reaches to fill needs. You can't account for deviation from the norm. I'm a numbers cruncher by profession, so you can see how it's soul crushing watching people go against the logic. Do I have full access? Of course not. But I can make educated guesses and projections. Sure, why not?

I'm going to respectfully disagree. I had this same disagreement with Philly when the Hawks drafted Tatupu. Unless you know what every team's draft board looks like there is no way to say that the Hawks could or could not have gotten Britt in the 4/5th rounds. In fact JS said in his interview that they knew Britt was going to be taken in the 3rd round and wouldn't make it back to them in rd 4. Just because the Kipers and Mayocks say a guy is a 5th rounder doesn't make it so. Does that mean this is going to the be the answer at RT? No! I just don't buy the talk that the Hawks could have gotten him 2-3 rounds later.

Carroll and Schneider are bamboozling you. If there was another team out there ready to take Britt before round 7, I'll eat my hat. Even though I don't wear hats. It's to justify their reach of a pick because everybody is calling them out on it and they are covering their ass with something that can never be proven. Remember when they said they had to take Bruce Irvin early because somebody else was going to take him in the first (the Jets). The Jets laughed about it and said not a chance.

You either trust your draft board, or you don't. You cannot go into a draft and say, I have to get these 3 guys no matter what. Then you get paranoid and reach for them early, thinking somebody else has them figured out and will steal them away. That is called stupid drafting. You aren't always going to get the guys you want, but it's a gamble. You have to gamble smart, take them in the right spots. If they get away, oh well, take the next value guy on your list at the right value spot. Anything else is dumb. I can't even debate this point. It's indisputable. Schneider bragged during the off season about how he wants to draft best player available, and then did the exact opposite this past week. He drafted My Favorite Player Available. Not best.

Is anybody else thinking that maybe it's time to get rid of Cable. Our offensive line stinks. We churn players. He constantly recommends players. They stink. He inherited Unger, Okung was drafted #6 overall. Everybody other lineman is....not good.

Well to be fair, we churn all over the roster. Or at least we bring in a lot of guys at a lot of positions, more than most teams. I happen to like Bailey a lot, I'm pleasantly surprised with Bowie, and I go back and forth on Sweezy.

I just hope that in this numbers game, we find a recent LG prospect and a decent RT. Otherwise the Rams will make mincemeat out of the line. We also need better depth for the inevitable Okung toe or high ankle sprain injury that is bound to crop up.

In retrospect, wish we had gone with Bitonio at 1.32. Would rather have accepted a a lower-ranked WR at 2.64 and gotten Bitonio in rd1, and then we probably would not be discussing Britt at all. Or at least, we'd be discussing him as a 4th rd prospect, not a 2rd rd one.

Carroll and Schneider are bamboozling you. If there was another team out there ready to take Britt before round 7, I'll eat my hat. Even though I don't wear hats. It's to justify their reach of a pick because everybody is calling them out on it and they are covering their ass with something that can never be proven. Remember when they said they had to take Bruce Irvin early because somebody else was going to take him in the first (the Jets). The Jets laughed about it and said not a chance.

You either trust your draft board, or you don't. You cannot go into a draft and say, I have to get these 3 guys no matter what. Then you get paranoid and reach for them early, thinking somebody else has them figured out and will steal them away. That is called stupid drafting. You aren't always going to get the guys you want, but it's a gamble. You have to gamble smart, take them in the right spots. If they get away, oh well, take the next value guy on your list at the right value spot. Anything else is dumb. I can't even debate this point. It's indisputable. Schneider bragged during the off season about how he wants to draft best player available, and then did the exact opposite this past week. He drafted My Favorite Player Available. Not best.

Unfortunately we'll never know. Rumor had it that Irvin would have been taken and Schneider recently said that a Redskins area scout called the Hawks after taking Britt saying he was their guy which led them to then take Moses. Is Schneider lying? I highly doubt it but I'll never know.

In retrospect, wish we had gone with Bitonio at 1.32. Would rather have accepted a a lower-ranked WR at 2.64 and gotten Bitonio in rd1, and then we probably would not be discussing Britt at all. Or at least, we'd be discussing him as a 4th rd prospect, not a 2rd rd one.

According to Schneider Bitonio was never a consideration at 1.32 as the card in NY was filled out with Paul Richardson's name in case the Hawks could not trade back.

According to Schneider Bitonio was never a consideration at 1.32 as the card in NY was filled out with Paul Richardson's name in case the Hawks could not trade back.

interesting. I'm a bit surprised by this, because I thought Bitonio ticked off all the boxes, but apparently not.

unrelated, one thing that C-Mike is going to have to work on this year is pass protection. Marshawn is probably in the 6th or 7th inning of his career and if we sub in for him, it would be nice not to tip off the defense that the next play is a running play because Michael can't pass block.

I'm good with the Marsh pick. I think he could be a pretty good player for us.

And I absolutely love Dion Bailey as an UDFA. I believe Carroll flat out stole this kid and I can't wait to get him into camp.

Everything else I'll take a wait and see approach, but none of it really excites me, and I'll see it to believe it.

I think our best draft pick is gonna be the trade we made for Terrelle Pryor. That's how disappointed I am with this draft.

I looked over everything 1 more time because of Hawkfin. And I think he turned me onto Kiero Small.

The more I see, the more I like.

I'll say:

4th rd. Marsh is a B pick

7th rd. Small is a B pick

Pryor for a 7th rd. trade is a A

Bailey for a UDFA is a A+++ (I'm still giddy over this one)

The rest I don't care for, but again I'll take a wait and see approach in camp and preseason before I come to a final conclusion.

I looked over everything 1 more time because of Hawkfin. And I think he turned me onto Kiero Small.

The more I see, the more I like.

I'll say:

4th rd. Marsh is a B pick

7th rd. Small is a B pick

Pryor for a 7th rd. trade is a A

Bailey for a UDFA is a A+++ (I'm still giddy over this one)

The rest I don't care for, but again I'll take a wait and see approach in camp and preseason before I come to a final conclusion.

:D

You should look over our LB (Piere-Lewis) more too. Watch how he plows over people and look at his arms. See how he fly's over the field like Fred Thomas does. And take notice that on almost every play he's at the ball. He's recordered over 200 tackles. His production matches the tape.

I think he'll be something special too. IMO he's another Sherman late draft steal.

I'm liking the Marsh pick, and both Kevins. A little underwhelmed by Britt, and remain on the fence about Richardson - can he hold up over a full season or does he hit the wall and the speed dries up? Small, I love. That guy is entertaining as hell to watch. I hope that Pinkins can be Browner 2.0 (they even gave him the same number!) but we shall see.

I'm a little more meh about the Pryor signing though. As much as his athleticism is high, I don't know that he's accurate enough to be our backup QB. What is wrong with Tarvaris anyway? In 11 games last year, he completed 57.4% of his passes. I can't seem to find Tarvaris' numbers from preseason last year, but I recall them being pretty strong - even for preseason. I think the guy has matured as a passer and is a very serviceable backup. If Wilson tears an ACL or something in week 3, and we're now looking at a backup for rest of year, who would you rather have? Pryor, or Tarvaris? Unless we're talking about converting Pryor to a different position and this discussion is moot.

The day I start missing Fat Ginger is the day I need to quit sniffing glue. That guy's best attribute was his ability to play three positions with consistent mediocrity.

Also, I think Bailey can be a more than serviceable backup LT. Between him and Bowie, in general, I think Bailey has more upside, although I think both of them are quality. And both of them were UDFAs I think or at best 7th rounders.

Word is Garrett Scott is a good enough pass blocker, and natural enough at LT that he could push Bailey as the backup. A lot of raw talent with this guy, I'm excited.

Like with all Carroll/Schneider drafts I'm much more "psyched" about the picks a few days after the smoke has cleared. I love the feeding frenzy on UDFAs too. I can't wait until camp!!!

Yeah, his hype was all via Rob Staton. Bitonio never quite struck me as a Cable guy.

There are rumors Somebody from the Redskins called after the Britt pick saying they would have taken him with their next pick. Not that that is a good thing...

Word is Garrett Scott is a good enough pass blocker, and natural enough at LT that he could push Bailey as the backup. A lot of raw talent with this guy, I'm excited.

Like with all Carroll/Schneider drafts I'm much more "psyched" about the picks a few days after the smoke has cleared. I love the feeding frenzy on UDFAs too. I can't wait until camp!!!

I agree. The draft mouths like Kiper start yelling reach after every pick so the perception is that the Hawks are some how making whacky picks. However when the smoke clears and you look at these guys the picks make perfect sense. Now that's not to say all these guys will be all pros because we know there are always going to be more misses than hits in the draft. But on paper I'm excited with this class and can't wait for camp. Also interesting to see the numbers assigned to these guys: 91 to Marsh, 39 to Pinkens, 81 to Norwood, 10 to Richardson, 68 to Britt. Coincidence? Nope! 😀

The more I look at film and absorb the data, the more dire the draft looks.

There isn't much about Richardson to like, the yo-yo weight as nobody really knows how much he weighs, the small hands, the way he struggles getting off the line of scrimmage against any type of decent bump or press coverage. Putting up stats vs backup players. This kid is going to get lost in the mix for a very long time. I suppose if you find a way to get him in motion or something to give him a chance to get off the line of scrimmage and he fakes out a defender, he could get open over the top. Otherwise, he is a long, long way from an NFL WR. He's a project. He has some skills. But he is maybe 3 or 4 years away. Basically, we drafted Harvin's backup. Except Richardson has not shown heart or passion at any point, unlike Harvin. If he ever gets NFL ready, we cut Harvin to save money. There is no other role for him on this team as far as I can tell. He will not start while Harvin is on this team. He's a backup. He will get mauled by the corners of Arizona, etc, and broken in half by the safeties on incompletions. I need to see evidence to the contrary. I watched Desean Jackson in Philadelphia. He'd have some big games. But when they pressed him at the line, we would disappear for a whole game. Guess who they are comparing this kid too? Desean Jackson. And Philly cut him for nothing. Chip Kelly didn't want that bullsh!t anymore.

Britt, we know he sucks. It was a panic move to fill a need a position with a dog sh!t player. We could have taken a talented player, but didn't.

Marsh is somewhat impressive getting after the QB. The problem is that's all he can do. He is poor vs the run. Sure, he's got a bad attitude, but that can be resolved. He's going to have to get in shape, as he really don't take that seriously. He's a lump of clay. We'll see. He's a situational 3rd and long pass rush specialist.

Kevin Norwood is a WR with no upside and no downside. He's a nice safe end of the roster WR to have when the good WRs get hurt. Harvin, Baldwin, Rice, Kearse, Richardson will all make the team. How many WR will Seattle keep? 5, 6, 7? Norwood is in the mix, will probably be the last guy to make the cut.

I suppose the Pierre-Louis isn't a bad pick, and now we have two Frenchies on the team. He's way too small and will get run over by everybody, but he moves fast and can chase some people down. So he could be a decent LB prospect since he seems to be in the prototype this team looks for. Weakside Linebacker?

The rest of the guys are a mish mosh. I just don't know.

I know I could be drinking the same KoolAid as seemingly everybody else, but I'm doing my damnest to be objective and impartial. I praise, I critique. I guess this is our redshirt freshman class. I just don't know. I'm not liking what I'm seeing overall on first glance, second glance, or many glances.

Well, at least there should be a lull now in the off season. I need a break.

The more I look at film and absorb the data, the more dire the draft looks.

There isn't much about Richardson to like, the yo-yo weight as nobody really knows how much he weighs, the small hands, the way he struggles getting off the line of scrimmage against any type of decent bump or press coverage. Putting up stats vs backup players. This kid is going to get lost in the mix for a very long time. I suppose if you find a way to get him in motion or something to give him a chance to get off the line of scrimmage and he fakes out a defender, he could get open over the top. Otherwise, he is a long, long way from an NFL WR. He's a project. He has some skills. But he is maybe 3 or 4 years away. Basically, we drafted Harvin's backup. Except Richardson has not shown heart or passion at any point, unlike Harvin. If he ever gets NFL ready, we cut Harvin to save money. There is no other role for him on this team as far as I can tell. He will not start while Harvin is on this team. He's a backup. He will get mauled by the corners of Arizona, etc, and broken in half by the safeties on incompletions. I need to see evidence to the contrary. I watched Desean Jackson in Philadelphia. He'd have some big games. But when they pressed him at the line, we would disappear for a whole game. Guess who they are comparing this kid too? Desean Jackson. And Philly cut him for nothing. Chip Kelly didn't want that bullsh!t anymore.

Britt, we know he sucks. It was a panic move to fill a need a position with a dog sh!t player. We could have taken a talented player, but didn't.

Marsh is somewhat impressive getting after the QB. The problem is that's all he can do. He is poor vs the run. Sure, he's got a bad attitude, but that can be resolved. He's going to have to get in shape, as he really don't take that seriously. He's a lump of clay. We'll see. He's a situational 3rd and long pass rush specialist.

Kevin Norwood is a WR with no upside and no downside. He's a nice safe end of the roster WR to have when the good WRs get hurt. Harvin, Baldwin, Rice, Kearse, Richardson will all make the team. How many WR will Seattle keep? 5, 6, 7? Norwood is in the mix, will probably be the last guy to make the cut.

I suppose the Pierre-Louis isn't a bad pick, and now we have two Frenchies on the team. He's way too small and will get run over by everybody, but he moves fast and can chase some people down. So he could be a decent LB prospect since he seems to be in the prototype this team looks for. Weakside Linebacker?

The rest of the guys are a mish mosh. I just don't know.

I know I could be drinking the same KoolAid as seemingly everybody else, but I'm doing my damnest to be objective and impartial. I praise, I critique. I guess this is our redshirt freshman class. I just don't know. I'm not liking what I'm seeing overall on first glance, second glance, or many glances.

Well, at least there should be a lull now in the off season. I need a break.

You're evaluations seem way off base from what I see on tape. Of course you're entiled to your views like I am. But, you don't seem like you actually are being impartial and rather have a negative outlook. I think this is one of our better drafts in awhile other then the R. Wilson pick. Way better then last years draft.

There's so much I don't agree with I don't even know where to start or probably won't bother much other then these few things:

-Robinson does get off the line with ease. I don't even know what you're talking about. He's got an amazing ability to beat the press with his speed and juke moves. It showed over and over again on tape, and they needed to put a safety on him as well to help out. He was a leader and playmaker and keyed on. Opposite of what you said. Maybe at the NFL level he'll struggle with press, but what I saw on tape he did very good. And D. Jackson was only one of the best WR's these past years. He's had NO help on the oppsite side of him and Vick sucks. And you don't know how bad they might miss him yet? There were other reason's they ditched him. Not his play.

Robinson's route running is polished. Your just wrong on every point is my feeling. He might be a Harvin replacement, but he'll be starting from day 1.

S. Rice and Lockett are the ones in danger of not being on this team.

Can't understand your Marsh review either. He played inside a lot and was great in run support. In fact, I think he's better in run support then pass rush as he wasn't used as a DE much. His edge rush is the concern of mine of anything.

Wow - Are you even looking at these guy's in depth?

Pierre-Lewis - Small and run over? - Ok, now I'm done. In every clip I saw he put people on the ground and flat on there back. Sure, he's not 250 bruiser, but he's an OLB and you don't need to be. Look at his arms and build up. Check out his bench. He makes plays all over the field and has over 200 tackles. A small weak guy doesn't do that.

Wow, you're just so off. Sorry

This class might really make you regret what you're talking about. I really like this draft overall other then Britt and that DT.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it's so much better then last years draft and I think we hit on a number of guy's that will stick and/or be really good.

I completely disagree with most everything you said there. You're not seeing what I'm seeing I guess.

But, we'll see! :)

I'm not going to go back and forth, since it's not going anywhere.

Let me just say Sidney Rice is a lock to make this team now that the draft if over. He's our tall WR, he's our red zone WR. By default, by merit, either way. Chris Matthews is the only other candidate. Rice has been starting his entire Seattle career. If he's healthy, that's not going to change. Harvin, Rice, Baldwin. Those are the top 3 WRs on the team. Of course, Kearse will get his snaps. But they are chasing a title. They are not going to start Richardson. I can't emphasize that enough. Preseason and training camp would have to be a complete disaster for the veteran WRs who have known this system either here or Minnesota for years and years for a rookie like to come in and learn the play book and for Richardson to start. Also, Richardson can't block downfield worth a sh!t, so how many snaps is he going to get when we run the ball most plays?

Rookie Predictions:

Robinson/WR- Starts more then Kearse with better production this coming year. He will be a Harvin replacement some day, but in the mean time be explosive in a duel threat.

(i.e. Hawks vs 49ers in a tight low scoring game. Robinson opens the game up with a 65 yard TD bomb from Wilson)

Britt/Oline - Will be given lots of chances to start over the coming years. His power/strength will limit him. Gone by 2-4 years.

Marsh/DE - Gets spot duty and in the rotation at DE this year. I'm not sure if he takes a DE starter the following year, but he's got a good chance. (If we don't resign Avril, he'll be our starting DE year #2) He'll either be on the team in 4 years or sign as a free agent to start somewhere.

K. Norwood/WR - Makes this team as our #4-5 with Kearse. He'll push out Rice, Lockett, and the tall new kid we picked up this year unless we keep 6 wides. He might be #6 if S. Rice stays, but I bet his play forces him out.

Not sure where this guy's ends up. He could be a stud or just average. But, I love the potential with size/speed. He's got the frame to be better then Robinson. I would not be surprised if Robinson/Norwood become our 1-2 punch of the future.

Piere-Lewis/LB - Our R. Sherman steal of the draft. He'll become a stud and start the following year when we lose some of our LB's.

Think F. Thomas at OLB.

J. Staten/DT - He gets barried behind some of the guy's we got last year. Might be around for a year or two, but I bet it's a bad pick.

Really though, I have not clue as I couldn't review any tape. Don't like his stats and a tiny school.

G. Scott/RT or Guard - I think Scott makes it. He'll eliminate Britt from the roster and this guy might transition right into Right Tackle in the coming years for us. Worse case, he has the power/strength to turn into a great guard. Best case he actually could be a solid LT if Okung walks as a free agent.

E. Pinkins/Safety - He's a solid backup for the coming years and is our #2 for sure. Unless the UFA Baily takes it over him. I could not scout this guy very much. Either way I feel good about his speed and height. Between him and Bailey they are a big upgrade for backup Safety in case of injury. I don't think he'll be on the team in 5 years probably and we'll have moved on with a better player.

K. Small/FB - Day 1 starter and annual pro bowler. Love this guy and great value. Awesome pick at a position that could be plugged in right away on this stout team. He'll be considered another steal. This is what I was hoping for with Oline, but I don't see it in Britt.

Small will lead the way for Lynch and then the future RB for many years to come or recieve a huge pay day by someone else.

He'll also be utilized as a runner and catcher at tmes too. I think he becomes known to be one of the best FB/Blockers in the NFL.

This pick makes the draft for me.

I think we nailed 2 or 3 studs and maybe a couple other really good players. I think 5 of these guy's will be in the NFL in the next 8-10 years.

I'm excited for this group. I'm not sure I can say this about ANY of last years picks. I hope one of the DT's will make it, and I think maybe Bailey or Booie could make it. But, this draft is so much better then that group.

I'm not going to go back and forth, since it's not going anywhere.

Let me just say Sidney Rice is a lock to make this team now that the draft if over. He's our tall WR, he's our red zone WR. By default, by merit, either way. Chris Matthews is the only other candidate. Rice has been starting his entire Seattle career. If he's healthy, that's not going to change. Harvin, Rice, Baldwin. Those are the top 3 WRs on the team. Of course, Kearse will get his snaps. But they are chasing a title. They are not going to start Richardson. I can't emphasize that enough. Preseason and training camp would have to be a complete disaster for the veteran WRs who have known this system either here or Minnesota for years and years for a rookie like to come in and learn the play book and for Richardson to start. Also, Richardson can't block downfield worth a sh!t, so how many snaps is he going to get when we run the ball most plays?

I agree to Richardson's blocking from what I saw on tape today, but he's willing and does the shaddow concept. Kearse is not a great blocker either and was primarily just a deep threat. I think they will have packages for Richardson and somebody is bound to get hurt allowing Richardson in. Maybe Richardson gets hurt, and delays his own path, but overall his speed will be utilized. We will plug and play with our wides. If Harvin goes out though, this guy will be starting.

I don't share you're views on S. Rice. He's garbage and the ONLY reason we brought him back is because we had nothing on the roster at the time and he was CHEAP. He might have been out of the league as nobody wanted him. That's how bad he was wanted. He's always hurt too.

I will not be surprised at all if he's cut before the season! (Because of Richardson and Norwood and maybe that other cat we brought in)

S. Rice will not be our #3 by season's end I bet. I'll be shocked he even makes this team now.

Oh I needed to add this: Norwood will become any red zone threat (i.e. tall reciever) if anybody. S. Rice doesn't even really do it IMO. That was Norwood's biggest strength. He's great in the red zone and uses his body well and he's pretty tall. He gets up there for grabs and does so in traffic. He'll make Rice expendable. \

I don't think Richardson is this type, but he did have a 38 vertical at 6'1.

I agree to Richardson's blocking from what I saw on tape today, but he's willing and does the shaddow concept. Kearse is not a great blocker either and was primarily just a deep threat. I think they will have packages for Richardson and somebody is bound to get hurt allowing Richardson in. Maybe Richardson gets hurt, and delays his own path, but overall his speed will be utilized. We will plug and play with our wides. If Harvin goes out though, this guy will be starting.

I don't share you're views on S. Rice. He's garbage and the ONLY reason we brought him back is because we had nothing on the roster at the time and he was CHEAP. He might have been out of the league as nobody wanted him. That's how bad he was wanted. He's always hurt too.

I will not be surprised at all if he's cut before the season! (Because of Richardson and Norwood and maybe that other cat we brought in)

S. Rice will not be our #3 by season's end I bet. I'll be shocked he even makes this team now.

Oh I needed to add this: Norwood will become any red zone threat (i.e. tall reciever) if anybody. S. Rice doesn't even really do it IMO. That was Norwood's biggest strength. He's great in the red zone and uses his body well and he's pretty tall. He gets up there for grabs and does so in traffic. He'll make Rice expendable. \

I don't think Richardson is this type, but he did have a 38 vertical at 6'1.

Geez, it's like you have amnesia as to Rice. He was bringing Wilson along 2 seasons ago with acrobatic catches and was the only guy consistent getting open, especially in the red zone. Rice is talented. Remember when he played with Farve also? He's talented. His only, ONLY, knock is getting hurt....eh, I guess I'm the only guy that appreciated what he was.

I'll say right now, again, that the only guy I'm predicting that washes out of the league quickly is Britt. The rest have a chance, and my big problem with the draft is I think they picked Richardson and Britt too early and they weren't really players that best fit for what this team was looking for. Whatever. The day 3 picks, some might make it, but you are getting way too excited over guys that need to improve the holes in their games to become meaningful contributors in this league. That's why players like these go so late in drafts. They still have to beat out the current depth on the team, and that's going to be hard to do for a bunch of them.

He had 1 good year in MInn. with Farve way back when, and 1 decent year in Seattle when we had absolutely nothing at WR. And his carreer best 7 TD's could be reproduced by Kearse or just about anybody really.

All the other years he was garbage or he was hurt. He has NO seperation and it's only getting worse if he can even find the field. And the reason he did anything here is probably because of Wilson running for his life and allowing him more time to finally get open. I favor Wilson making him look good. I don't even think Baldwin is even all that and has similar problems against good teams/corners.

This is why I think WR was a huge need. Baldwin stepped up, but this position lacked and I said it all year. Harvin healthy might help too.

Ok - Maybe it's not this bad. But my point, Rice is not someone to count on and most of his TD's were not really in the red zone with jump balls. You want to harpe over Richardson being hurt, yet this guy is continoully hurt and he has all that size. He's proven to be unhealthy and weak and somebody not to count on.

I'll stand by my main point - I bet he's cut and beat out by the younger and better rookies who have seperation and more potential.

The way you described our draft - This second paragraph is completely a back slide. Now you're only saying Britt will be a wash and the rest have a shot. Before you bascially said the entire draft sucks and you HATE Richardson.

Anyway, see what happens. I like this draft myself and I think were going to see some real gems from some of this group!

The way you described our draft - This second paragraph is completely a back slide. Now you're only saying Britt will be a wash and the rest have a shot. Before you bascially said the entire draft sucks and you HATE Richardson.

Anyway, see what happens. I like this draft myself and I think were going to see some real gems from some of this group!

Allow me to reset. Britt will be a wash. The rest of the picks have a shot. The entire draft did suck for me. The way the draft was run sucked. I have tempered expectations for Richardson. I hope the draft picks develop and become terrific players in this league. I don't think they will, but I hope they do. We lost Giacomini and added nothing in the draft to help so went backwards and in essence will get Wilson killed this year. Look, I'm not going to give you an "I told you so" when Wilson goes down for the year with an injury. But as soon as Richardson gets two steps into a route, Wilson will be on his back with a sack. Wilson finished last season with a bad left shoulder, one that he was nursing for months. Wilson isn't going to hold up. Draft = fail. I get the feeling the Seahawks front office is getting a little too full of themselves over their draft success in the later rounds and that will lead to over confidence and certain doom. We might be seeing it unfold already.

I suppose you also didn't notice that when Rice went down for the year with an injury, his absence allowed defenses to bottle up Tate, Baldwin and Kearse. Suddenly, we couldn't score any points. For months. Defensive coordinators respect Rice. There's that. Rice and Miller have been our only reliable red zone threats for several seasons now. But you disagree, so I will just end it here.

I don't know what else I can tell you. If I'm not pleased with the team over something, I put it out there. If I'm the bad guy, I'm the bad guy. I'm OK with that. Most Seattle fans are still euphoric over the Superbowl win and high expectations over everything will continue for quite some time. That's not me. The glass is half empty and full of salt water.

Allow me to reset. Britt will be a wash. The rest of the picks have a shot. The entire draft did suck for me. The way the draft was run sucked. I have tempered expectations for Richardson. I hope the draft picks develop and become terrific players in this league. I don't think they will, but I hope they do. We lost Giacomini and added nothing in the draft to help so went backwards and in essence will get Wilson killed this year. Look, I'm not going to give you an "I told you so" when Wilson goes down for the year with an injury. But as soon as Richardson gets two steps into a route, Wilson will be on his back with a sack. Wilson finished last season with a bad left shoulder, one that he was nursing for months. Wilson isn't going to hold up. Draft = fail. I get the feeling the Seahawks front office is getting a little too full of themselves over their draft success in the later rounds and that will lead to over confidence and certain doom. We might be seeing it unfold already.

I suppose you also didn't notice that when Rice went down for the year with an injury, his absence allowed defenses to bottle up Tate, Baldwin and Kearse. Suddenly, we couldn't score any points. For months. Defensive coordinators respect Rice. There's that. Rice and Miller have been our only reliable red zone threats for several seasons now. But you disagree, so I will just end it here.

I don't know what else I can tell you. If I'm not pleased with the team over something, I put it out there. If I'm the bad guy, I'm the bad guy. I'm OK with that. Most Seattle fans are still euphoric over the Superbowl win and high expectations over everything will continue for quite some time. That's not me. The glass is half empty and full of salt water.

I'm not calling you out as the bad guy. I'm usually in agreement with you actually and respect you're thoughts and like to hear what you have to say. I just happen to not agree this time.

I hated Carpenter, Irvin, etc. like you, and I also like to draft for value and see that point. And I also thought we needed to fix our Oline this year and I don't think we did with this draft possibly. Mainly because of the Britt pick. If he were to turn out though, then maybe we did.

That being said, I do have some hope for Bowie and Bailey and rated them as decent prospects last year. They may take a big step up this year? And I kind of like this Scott guy we got this year. So I don't feel as dire as you do at the Oline. I also think WR's not getting open in a timely manner causes a lot of Wilson problems too. As much as I think Carpenter is a bust and will need to be replaced he actually did a decent job at the end of the year and into the playoff's. I also think Cable does decent with anybody. But, he can't draft or find guy's for beans clearly.

But to the point of "drafting for value". I agree with that concept, but also disagree somewhat. I think the smart move was the example you gave by waiting for Wilson an extra round and get Wagner in the mean time. However, where would we be if we didn't get Wilson?

I'll tell you - Not a SB winner.

I draft for value in F.F. when possible - But, if I'm a round or two close to "MY GUY" I will reach for him. Especially if I see big stats or something like P. Manning this last year. It has always served me pretty well because that player usually goes off. Now if I ran a team and owned that guy forever, I would be even more inclined to take "my guy".

If he's a super star - It does not matter where he was drafted. If Wilson went back into the pool, he should be a 1st round pick with Luck.

So my point, I can't harp to much if they appear (which is a lose word in it's own right) to reach on a guy. They got who they wanted and their track record speaks for itself.

I personally wish they didn't reach on the small school guy's with no stats (See our DT) Those seem to never work out.

But, I apploud them for going after who they want or we could have missed out on R. Wilson.

I had Wilson has my top 3-4 QB and liked him ahead of Tannehill. BUT, I had him around the 4-5th round because the pubs/mocks/media/mags told me he should be a 5-7th rounder or whatever. I would have maybe missed out on him to where our FO would have got him ahead of me. That's the point. Get the guy you want and who makes you better with potential to grow.

They don't always hit of course, but they do well. Richardson is a fine example that he was not far off from where he would have went anyway. Close enough if you love the guy. Carroll also probably knew something about M. Lee. He had Richardson rated higher.

Lastley, I think this draft was more and should be more then just the Oline. We did have other issues. I feel we solved WR, FB, LB of the future, Backup Safety, and possibly RT if one of the two pan out. I'm not sure the thinking at Guard?

But overall, I get what they did and my evaluations shows good players across the board. (Britt is biggest complaint and failure)

We'll leave Rice alone. We see it differently. At least he's cheap now. I'll still be surprised he makes this team. We'll see how it turns out.

Ok wow, I'm done for the day now. :)

GO HAWKS

Let's look at the salary cap picture for a second, focusing just on our studs.

When we're talking about draft picks, what we're really talking about is when the salary cap chickens come home to roost, how badly do we need the new guys to step up? Or can we just get by with what we have?

2014:

Two studs under contract at attractive cap hits (Sherman, Wilson). Michael Bennett expensive at $10m. Okung expensive at $11m. Earl counts for $7.4 million. Lynch counts for $7m. Manageable situation in my opinion. We are still super bowl contenders.

2015:

Sherman expensive at $12m, Wilson still cheap (last time that will happen) but extension possible, Same for Wagner, Bennett less expensive (~6.0m), but money still guaranteed. Okung in last year of original deal for $7.3m - but only $2.3m in dead money. Does he stay on the roster?. Earl still counts for $7.4m. Lynch is on the books for $9m but not guaranteed, and if we cut him, dead money is only $1.5m. So it's eminently possible that 2015 sees us without either the heart and soul of the franchise, or, the cornerstone of the OL, or both. Still contenders, but clouds on horizon.

2016:

Sherman now at $16m, Earl now at $10m, Wilson easily has to be $15m or more. Wagner, Bennett, Okung are anyone's guess. Lynch is probably gone. Remaining a contender requires other guys to step up.

So in a nutshell, I think what we're talking about is whether our championship window is extendable beyond 2015, because the cap hits become too great starting 2016.

I think Groundhog nailed why last years, this years and next years drafts are so important because we do have so many stars up for big contracts. We need these drafts to pan out or we are going to turn into a copy of the New Orleans Saints roster.

I am not even going to pretend like I have a clue whether any of these guys are what we needed. I love Phillybears passion and while I think he tends to get a bit too overheated about the draft his point on draft capital is the big issue in my eyes.

There where a ton of defensive backs that went way earlier than expected and quite a few tackles that went early. I thought this was the time to possibly trade up for an elite guard, defensive line or wide receiver prospect if ever. I think they should have just made their pick there in the first. I understand the trading down for maximum picks but more teams than ever are doing this and good game theory is often to buck the trend. I am still stunned San Francisco did not trade up with 11 picks and definite need at corner back.

Somebody pointed out that Wilson's incredible scrambling really makes a mediocre offensive line look better than it actually is from numbers (I wonder if there might be some analytical shenanigans going on in the front office?). But this gets exposed when you face an elite front seven and the bad news is I think the Rams just elevated their defense to an elite front seven like San Francisco with the Cardinals not far off that either. I honestly think the front office sees the offensive line as a place to cheap out on due to Wilson's scrambling ability.

At the end of the day our bread and butter is defense and having enough on offense to let Wilson work his magic. I would like at least one elite player along the offensive line though, Okung is arguably the best player there and he is going to be expensive and not clearly a top 5 at his position (which I would use as a definition of elite).

Last year was an anomaly in that we signed a bunch of big time free agents, short term deals but nonetheless, and kept all of our key free agents. And won a Superbowl. Now, the pain has started. This offseason is the blueprint of what all most every offseason will become. Key contributors will be cut or allowed to walk away in free agency, even if they are in the prime of their careers. Sign no one of note. Collect the compensatory draft picks for the losses. Trade down in drafts, make a dozen picks in the draft, hope to hit on a number of picks, restock the end of the roster, sign a handful of players to long term cap friendly extensions. Next year, Okung and Wagner will be coin flips whether they stay or go. I think Marshawn Lynch, KJ Wright, Malcolm Smith, Byron Maxwell, James Carpenter will be gone. (Edit: Mebane too) The price of doing business.

I'm still puzzled as to why we have competition, ComPete all over the roster, except on the offensive line. Our two worst starters, Sweezey and Carpenter have nobody to push for their spots. Okung won't have Bailey push him for a starting gig. Bowie is the 2nd best tackle on the team and will start at RT. Unger is the center. No competition as far as I can see. Do we really expect anything from Schilling or Van Roten? I really like Bowie and Bailey, but I love them as the first backups off the bench. The problem is they are now forced into the lineup and our backups are not as good as a result. Sadly, some of the guys we developed went to other teams, like Rishawn Johnson, and became starters. We could have used some those guys right about now.

Um, how did we go the free agency period and draft and not address the backup free safety position? Maragos signed with the Eagles. We do not have a backup FS on the roster right now as far as I can tell. Kam Chancellor and Jeron Johnson are SS. Deshawn Shead is a CB/SS. Eric Pinkins is a SS that the Seahawks announced will be converted to CB. Dion Bailey is a SS. Where is the backup to Earl Thomas?

Where is the backup to Earl Thomas?

That's the key risk facing the D. Running a cover-3 hinges on having a speed merchant at FS who can cover a lot of ground. We have no one else back there who can do what Earl does. As it was, there was a huge drop off from Earl to Maragos so I am not all that worked up over him going to the Eagles - although we still need a better backup there.

This is why I view Earl as more critical to the D than Sherman, even though Sherman is earning more.

Oh, in case it went under the radar, we cut the Hus kid, the long snapper signed a few months ago.