Sign in to follow this  
BTL99

Can you get away with having weak RBs in a PPR league?

So let's say you have a lineup something like this:

Drew Brees

Joique Bell
Fred Jackson

Antonio Brown
Pierre Garcon
Roddy White

Jimmy Graham

If you are in a 6pt passing TD, PPR, over 300/100 yard and over 40TD bonus league, could you still win with such good QB, WR and TE even though your RBs are horrible?

yes, but I also still try to get a Woodhead, Dunbar type too. I just cant ever get myself to bank on Jackson.

although I dont see how your lineup would be possible

Graham in 1st, Brees 2nd, Antonio 3rd (no way in a PPR), Garcon 4th and White 5th are reaches as well, and I doubt you get Joique in the 6th or Jackson in the 7th

Drew Brees

Joique Bell

Fred Jackson

Antonio Brown

Pierre Garcon

Roddy White

Jimmy Graham

If you are in a 6pt passing TD, PPR, over 300/100 yard and over 40TD bonus league, could you still win with such good QB, WR and TE even though your RBs are horrible?

Dude im pretty sure Bell and Jackson both finished in the top 20 for PPR RBs last year.

If you told me I could have a top 2 QB, a top 5 WR, and the #1 TE but the "horrible" part of my team would be 2 RBs that are top 20 I would take it in a heartbeat. Thats a championship team right there, and I am not even counting the production from Roddy White and Pierre Garcon into that.

You could, however, have this lineup in an auction. I have been thinking the same thing in my auction league. We have $100 to spend and it seems like I spend over half of that on RB's. We are 0.5 ppr and players like J. Bell/Woodhead/P. Thomas/etc. have greater value, though they are not names you think of when putting together a fantasy team. I have tried in mocks to pair some of these types with 2 top tier receivers and a top 3 TE. I like the looks of what I have had after looking at it. The upside to this is that RB's are probably the most injured position in fantasy football. If one of your "starters" goes down it's not the end to your season.

Yes

You got me thinking about this subject with my auction. 14 teams/0.5 ppr/$100. What do you think of this team?

Romo 8

Cutler 6

Gerhart 12

F. Jackson 5

P. Thomas 4

A. Williams (NYG) 2

L. Dunbar 1

A. Brown (Pit) 14

J. Nelson 16

R. White 11

T. Smith (Bal) 9

K. Benjamin 4

Z. Ertz 5

T. Kelce 1

any kicker 1

any defense 1

We start QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/TE/K/Def or 1 RB and 4 WR.

I would much rather have Bernard or Ellington as my lead back but they will come at a stiffer price than Gerhart.

Drew Brees

Joique Bell

Fred Jackson

Antonio Brown

Pierre Garcon

Roddy White

Jimmy Graham

That team isnt bad.

its at least a playoff team (unless you are in a 6 or 8 team league)

The one thing you need to do is keep an eye on the waiver wire.

Key players to watch would be Rookie RB's who are 2nd on the depth chart behind a Vet who is 29 or older.

Players I'd watch would be Gores handcuff, Lynches Handcuff, and maybe Stacy's hancuff. (although I think he will hang onto the starting job, hes a player to watch)

I'd also keep an eye on the RB situation in Oakland. It's not as stable as some people think. MJD may be the starter, but he is 29 and coming back from Lis Franc. Traditionally this has been a career killer and for a RB at this age I'm not convinced he will be highly productive. We could end up seeing a committee of DMC and Reece. (if DMC cant stay healthy, you know who the next in line is....)

Also SJAX. nearing the end of a great Career. Is Freeman the Heir Apparent?

Lastly, ADP. while he is a superior talent, he is also 29. I dont expect he will falter yet, but it is possible (more likely due to injury than any other reason)

anyhow, None of these situations is guaranteed to blow up, but I'd bet money at least one of them does. if any of these starters start slow, or get hurt, there is a good chance the handcuff takes the job and never looks back.

Lastly, I'd watch the cleveland situation. tough to say who will start, but the team has a good O-line, so whoever gets the start could be valuable indeed.

So if you arent sure about your RB Starters, Keep a close watch on these situations. In the meantime... dont change a thing

That team isnt bad.

its at least a playoff team (unless you are in a 6 or 8 team league)

The one thing you need to do is keep an eye on the waiver wire.

Key players to watch would be Rookie RB's who are 2nd on the depth chart behind a Vet who is 29 or older.

Players I'd watch would be Gores handcuff, Lynches Handcuff, and maybe Stacy's hancuff. (although I think he will hang onto the starting job, hes a player to watch)

I'd also keep an eye on the RB situation in Oakland. It's not as stable as some people think. MJD may be the starter, but he is 29 and coming back from Lis Franc. Traditionally this has been a career killer and for a RB at this age I'm not convinced he will be highly productive. We could end up seeing a committee of DMC and Reece. (if DMC cant stay healthy, you know who the next in line is....)

Also SJAX. nearing the end of a great Career. Is Freeman the Heir Apparent?

Lastly, ADP. while he is a superior talent, he is also 29. I dont expect he will falter yet, but it is possible (more likely due to injury than any other reason)

anyhow, None of these situations is guaranteed to blow up, but I'd bet money at least one of them does. if any of these starters start slow, or get hurt, there is a good chance the handcuff takes the job and never looks back.

Lastly, I'd watch the cleveland situation. tough to say who will start, but the team has a good O-line, so whoever gets the start could be valuable indeed.

So if you arent sure about your RB Starters, Keep a close watch on these situations. In the meantime... dont change a thing

Great input man. I am definitely getting on this!