Sign in to follow this  
Upper Class Trash

Rams players from a Homer perspective (post Bradford era)

So.... We all saw Bradford go down. It is likely his career is over. On our local ESPN radio show, a doctor stated once the same ACL has been torn twice, it is 75% more likely to tear again, and that's without contact, just from everyday use. Sam had an insurance policy for this, and he's already something stupid, like $62 million over the last 5 seasons. If he doesn't simply retire prior to the season next year, he most certainly will be released by the Rams. You can't roll with one wheel at $17 million for the season.

How does this change the roles in St. Louis - For starters, Stacy will be run into the ground. The reason Cunningham started that game was to see what he could do with the first team offense. He's not a threat to Stacy's job. It was announced here Cunningham would get the nod a couple days prior. Not a big deal.

Now that Hill is locked in as our starter, I'll tell you why this benefits our run game. I'm not saying he's a better QB than Bradford, so please don't misunderstand. Hill is a veteran. He calls audibles at the line, which Sam NEVER does. He will take risks and throw to a guy who is covered, which Sam would not. He's not a move the chains type of QB. He's a gun slinger. Bradford simply refused to take a risk and would not trust his WR's to "go get it" if the threw it up. With Britt and Quick, Hill is going to be better for this offense. They are both big guys who can use their size. If you watched Hill play, you saw him audible from a pass play into a running play that Cunningham took for about 20 yards and almost broke free for a TD. That was what Hill brings to the table. If he doesn't like the offensive call, he will change it. Bradford would have went ahead and ran the play that was called. Hill also threw a jump ball to Britt, which Britt came away with. Bradford would NOT do that.

What it boils down to is this; If Hill can keep his interceptions under control and not get wild, you have a guy who isn't is good as Bradford in terms of a skillset, but is a MUCH better natural leader with true football instincts. This bodes well for our WR's. It doesn't make them worth starting in any given week, but I prefer a QB who will throw them the ball than someone who will not. lol

Stacy is going to average 22/23 rushes per game. He may end up with 25/26 total touches per game. Cunningham is going to be worth owning in any larger league with a Flex spot. He will get his carries as they will now run much more than originally planned. Fisher always rolls with one RB, but he's smart enough to keep them fresh. It's a long season and we have a pretty solid overall team, even without Bradford. I see Stacy, barring injury, hitting 300+ touches. They won't mind wearing him out as he's NOT the future back in St. Louis. He's the 2014 RB. Cunningham should see at least 125 rushes, but may play more on 3rd down. Watch the early games closely. For now, if you have the roster space and need a potential Flex player, or possibly more, I'd be willing to spend one of my final picks on Cunningham. Your final picks are always the first cut for a waiver wire pickup anyway, so you aren't losing anything. IF the Rams get a lead on anyone, I can see Fisher pulling Stacy for a series at a time and giving BC the carries. Again, he's not a threat to take the job from Stacy, but he's certainly capable as they share the same skill set. Cunningham has an injury history though and that works against him.

My thoughts on the Rams for this season;

I think Britt is worth a WR5/WR6 pick. If he's the last guy sitting on your bench, it's a good pick. If you are drafting him for more, you will be disappointed.

Brian Quick - They really wanted him to take a step up this season and he had a great rapport going with Bradford. If this is back to square one, he could end up struggling and will likely not be worth owning. Definitely watch him though as the idea was for Britt to mentor him for a season, then him take over the WR1 job for us next year.

Austin - If you are drafting Austin, I hope it's in punt return yardage leagues. Stedman Bailey is a serious threat to his slot position once he returns and Austin hasn't even looked good in camp. He is catching the ball, but goes to the ground as soon as he's hit. If you want to compare him to someone, see Ace Sander from the Jaguars last season. He may catch 55 passes, but teams are stopping him on the line and he's unable to muscle past the defender. Smart defenses are using a big Safety to knock him off his route. He's not going to be a legitmate difference maker in anything outside of return yardage leagues. I only own him in one league and it's for that purpose.

Stacy - If you read the fanatsy website, they have knocked him down already to the low-level RB2 status and I've seen a couple now list him as a RB3 with upside. Bullshot. lol Any guy getting the carries he will is going to put up numbers. To compare - Doug Martin has seen his stock rise to the early 2nd round now that he's the bellcow. Stacy is a bellcow. I would suggest you nab Cunningham later if you draft him though. I do not advocate taking handcuffs, but in this instance, I would.

• Like 1

UCT - What do think about Stedman Bailey's long term out look?

I thought he could be a Hines Ward or Derrick Mason type PPR monster. And still do, but this 4 game suspension does scare me off alittle bit.

UCT - What do think about Stedman Bailey's long term out look?

I thought he could be a Hines Ward or Derrick Mason type PPR monster. And still do, but this 4 game suspension does scare me off alittle bit.

Stedman Bailey is everything we thought Austin would be. Unfortunately, that 4 game suspension has him in the doghouse and he isn't likely to see a ton of work this season. If you are in a 14 or 16 team dynasty, he's worth stashing, but with Hill at QB and the emphasis on the run game, I expect to see our larger WR's out there to run block. Instead of going 3 WR's, I think we'll use a lot of 2 WR formations with Kendricks being used as an extra lineman. His specialty is blocking and he's pretty good at it. Bailey has the best hands on the team and may be the best route runner, but we're stuck with Schottenheimer as our OC.....

Thank for this. Knew these forums would have something valuable in regards to Bradford injury.

• Like 1

What is the homer view on Tre Mason?

Mason is a backup only and a 3rd stringer at that. He will not see the field often unless we get hit hard with injuries. He's not on my radar at all in redafts, even in leagues with 20+ man rosters. People keep drafting him as the backup to Stacy and he isn't.... lol Cunningham goes undrafted and will likely see more work than many RB's in a RBBC this season. With Bradford out, I see no way they put Mason in the game and risk losing Hill too. He has zero pass blocking experience. The best you can hope for with Mason this season is mop up duty if the Rams build a nice lead headed into the 4th quarter. He isn't going to play enough to warrant being rostered though, barring injury.