Sign in to follow this  
Gratefulegg1973

Cordarelle Patterson is droppable right?

Yes this is true to an extent and should have been considered when drafting him. The problem is that Norv came to town and apparently felt that getting him the ball in creative ways was a waste of time, even though it proved to be successful last year.

He needs carries and under the defense catches. I started him this game because i figured GB would be out to a nice leading, giving Minn little choice but to give their best play maker the ball. Well Norv didnt even come close to designing anything for patterson.

I think it speaks volumes to Norvs idiocy that he cant comprehend pattersons talent. Norv has basically made him a conventional receiver, which patterson is most certainly not.

Well, he is not YET anyhow. I for one will get humble and admit I miscalculated this kid's ability to become a WR1 in the NFL this season. Fantasy Football Index stated he was a year away from making that leap. I usually listen to what those writers have to say, even though they've been wrong before (who else recalls them tagging Rashard Mendenhall as a Top 5 back in 2011?)

He has struggled for reasons posted above, surely. To point out that Norvell was also in Cleveland last year with Josh Gordon would be misleading, as Gordon is of course a much more polished receiver at this point. After all, Patterson basically became a pass catcher his senior year at Tennessee.

My take is the Adrian Peterson f*ckery is jacking up Norvell's ju-ju offensively. The injury to Cassel isn't helping. Again, same probs in Cleveland last season but Gordon is more of a conventional receiver than Patterson.

I've seen Cordarrelle make some highlight reel catches, and he's probably a better pure athlete than Gordon (thought I saw a stat where Patterson was #1 in league in YAC last year.) It's just a question of when will it all come together? It's good to see him screaming for the ball right now.

Yep, it's Norv. You can tell because he's never had a reputation or track record as a creative offensive mind, while Patterson has displayed premier ability as a WR and guy who can find ways to utilize his speed and skill set to get open.

Did you even watch what DBs did with him last night? He's clueless. Increasingly convinced that he got his big play oppportunities last year... and let's be honest, a few big plays over the course of a season started this hype train... due to being something of a surprise to coordinators on a team that was going nowhere.

Great athlete. Great return guy. At this stage in his career, nothing else other than a gadget guy.

I see the sarcasm, but you are correct. Norv is massively overrated. He has christian ponder throwing down field all game, a qb who hasnt played meaningful snaps in a while. The vikes offensive line was also assaulted all night. So yes, his game plan was pretty craptastic for last night, and he didnt do much to adjust.

Do you not remember his time in san diego? Everyone was calling for his job for years because he was overrated and couldnt utilize the massive talent that was on their rosters.

Rivers was given up for dead with norvys genius. Norv is gone and now rivers has had a come back. Coincidence? Or is it that the completely overrated norv turner had left the team allowing their real potential to take off again?

Still dont get why people are so argumentative when i propose these spectacular athletes should get more touches in creative ways, i get piled on. Its a different NFL where a player that is a receiver doesnt have to exclusively work like a conventional receiver, running routes all day. Getting these spectacular athletes the ball in creative ways has proven to work, yet some are still blind or ignorant.

Well, he is not YET anyhow. I for one will get humble and admit I miscalculated this kid's ability to become a WR1 in the NFL this season. Fantasy Football Index stated he was a year away from making that leap. I usually listen to what those writers have to say, even though they've been wrong before (who else recalls them tagging Rashard Mendenhall as a Top 5 back in 2011?)

He has struggled for reasons posted above, surely. To point out that Norvell was also in Cleveland last year with Josh Gordon would be misleading, as Gordon is of course a much more polished receiver at this point. After all, Patterson basically became a pass catcher his senior year at Tennessee.

My take is the Adrian Peterson f*ckery is jacking up Norvell's ju-ju offensively. The injury to Cassel isn't helping. Again, same probs in Cleveland last season but Gordon is more of a conventional receiver than Patterson.

I've seen Cordarrelle make some highlight reel catches, and he's probably a better pure athlete than Gordon (thought I saw a stat where Patterson was #1 in league in YAC last year.) It's just a question of when will it all come together? It's good to see him screaming for the ball right now.

Gordon wasnt really used in an expert fashion, it was more chuck it up to our best offensive player because we have no one else. Which is ok if it works.

Also, "gadget player" is a cute term used to write off an unconventional player who doesnt do it "the right way". You cant tell me the success that players like Cpat have had was just fluky when the percentage of success was at a high rate and consistent. Once cpat cant break a handoff and cant turn a bubble screen into good gains, then you can consider them an overrated flop. Norv is, for whatever reason, not using the methods that previously proved successful.

Still dont get why people are so argumentative when i propose these spectacular athletes should get more touches in creative ways, i get piled on. Its a different NFL where a player that is a receiver doesnt have to exclusively work like a conventional receiver, running routes all day. Getting these spectacular athletes the ball in creative ways has proven to work, yet some are still blind or ignorant.

Maybe because, while others are discussing the nuts and bolts of why it's difficult to get the ball to this particular player without denigrating you in any way, you choose to refer to those who don't agree with you as "blind or ignorant". :dunno:

And again, nobody has said it's not a good idea to get him the ball. I just think people have an overly simplistic view of how tough that is to do on a team with no other scary options. They could throw him bubble screens all day. What DB is going to play it aggressively? There's no incentive. Sure, you can line him up at RB, and if there was any threat that something bad would happen if the D sold out you'd have something there. But there's no threat. He's the only homerun hitter on a team that can't even get on base.

Without a real #1 WR, a decent TE, their HOF RB and any semblance of an NFL QB (with the exception of Bridgewater, who I think will be ok), Patterson is a marked man. They overrated his ability to step in as an every down WR. He has a lot to learn and right now what's going on in Minny is not conducive to learning.

Maybe because, while others are discussing the nuts and bolts of why it's difficult to get the ball to this particular player without denigrating you in any way, you choose to refer to those who don't agree with you as "blind or ignorant". :dunno:

And again, nobody has said it's not a good idea to get him the ball. I just think people have an overly simplistic view of how tough that is to do on a team with no other scary options. They could throw him bubble screens all day. What DB is going to play it aggressively? There's no incentive. Sure, you can line him up at RB, and if there was any threat that something bad would happen if the D sold out you'd have something there. But there's no threat. He's the only homerun hitter on a team that can't even get on base.

Without a real #1 WR, a decent TE, their HOF RB and any semblance of an NFL QB (with the exception of Bridgewater, who I think will be ok), Patterson is a marked man. They overrated his ability to step in as an every down WR. He has a lot to learn and right now what's going on in Minny is not conducive to learning.

I honestly dont mean to be insulting, but you are making this way to simple. Why is it so hard to get him the ball? Why can the better teams find ways to get their best athletes the ball, but the teams that arent as good make it look impossible?

Yes most agree it would be a good idea to get patterson the ball more, but again they make it seem like its impossible. Part of pattersons immense value was giving him handoffs. He hasnt attempted a run the past 2 weeks. Asiata is nothing near special, so why not line up patterson in the backfield? Some fakes and some handoffs mixed in. While some people may thing giving a handoff to a receiver is one of the most impossible tasks a qb could accomplish, i argue that its rather simple.

Sorry, i know these are long, but it seems so hard to get my point across without over simplification or blowing my comments out of proportion.

An incredible athlete has an advantage over a run of the mill athlete. If cpat is the fastest guy on the field a play where has has the ball gives him a higher probability of breaking a big play over an asiata type back.

Why can a rb have success in the nfl if everyone knows they are an important part of the offense. Everyone knew AP was getting the ball, why was it even possible to have success? I am not trying to direct compare, but to make it seem like every attempt to get cpat involved is futile is ridiculous. Why even play a football game if its so impossible to get the best players involved in a game plan.

Instead of you proposing "bubble screens all day", why not 3? Or at least 1? Lineup and fake one for misdirection maybe?

Your arguments make no sense by saying all efforts are futile when they havent even been attempted.

Going into a game saying "well we arent even going to attempt to get our most dynamic player the ball because the defense knows he is good, so we might as well give our average players all of the plays. That will keep them off guard!!!!" See how absurd that sounds?

I honestly dont mean to be insulting, but you are making this way to simple. Why is it so hard to get him the ball? Why can the better teams find ways to get their best athletes the ball, but the teams that arent as good make it look impossible?

You answered your own question. Because the better teams have better players, players that command respect from a defense. In many cases, the term "better player" relates to a guy with a strong skill set at his position.

They have nobody else that commands the defenses respect. While a great athlete, he does not have even a good WR skill set. And there are no "run of the mill" athlete's in NFL secondarys.

You can have all kinds of intentions to get the ball to a WR. But if he doesn't know how to do the simple things that WR have to do in the NFL to be successful, good intentions are all that you'll have. And despite your ridiculous assertion, nobody has said it's futile or don't try. What I've been trying to point out to you is that that's easier said than done with the crap that the Vikings have on the field.

This is my last response to you on this topic. You are typically a strong poster, but in this case you're coming across as a guy who expected Patterson to be great this year, he isn't, and you're looking to blame everyone and everything but Patterson. IMO, all you have to do is watch him during the course of the game to see how he's struggling because he's overmatched as a WR. Maybe not his fault; maybe their fault for putting him in that spot. Doesn't change the fact.

You answered your own question. Because the better teams have better players, players that command respect from a defense. In many cases, the term "better player" relates to a guy with a strong skill set at his position.

They have nobody else that commands the defenses respect. While a great athlete, he does not have even a good WR skill set. And there are no "run of the mill" athlete's in NFL secondarys.

You can have all kinds of intentions to get the ball to a WR. But if he doesn't know how to do the simple things that WR have to do in the NFL to be successful, good intentions are all that you'll have. And despite your ridiculous assertion, nobody has said it's futile or don't try. What I've been trying to point out to you is that that's easier said than done with the crap that the Vikings have on the field.

This is my last response to you on this topic. You are typically a strong poster, but in this case you're coming across as a guy who expected Patterson to be great this year, he isn't, and you're looking to blame everyone and everything but Patterson. IMO, all you have to do is watch him during the course of the game to see how he's struggling because he's overmatched as a WR. Maybe not his fault; maybe their fault for putting him in that spot. Doesn't change the fact.

I am not complaining about his production. I knew he wasnt a sure thing by any means. It sucks but it happens all the time in fooball. I understand its not easy to get a player as involved as would be preferred when there isnt any talent around a player. Its still not THAT difficult to give him a few hand offs at the very least. If you never design any plays to get a player like patterson involved, then he might as well to be traded to a team that can because he will never be a conventional receiver. A creative enough mind would find ways as was showcased last year.

My issue with all of this, and a big reason I'd jumped on this bandwagon in pre-season, is because I presumed Norvell would be working to polish up the guy's WR skills during the last off season. Part of this would entail drawing up simple designed plays to get him the ball, and inserting them in the game plan. I mean holy focking shite didn't a practice squad guy just have eight friggin catches last week?

Obviously this has not been the case. Another publication, maybe the Rotoworld FF mag, listed CPat as a bust for the main reason Turner was NOT known for his work with young WRs. Of course all of this just highlights what a supreme talent Gordon was to work pretty much in the same crap sandwich last year and end up the #2 WR in the NFL.

I believe the raw skills CPat possesses will eventually allow him to be a dominant player, as he can learn that which he lacks. But you can't teach raw talent.

Luck is on my side I guess. I had to decide between Jordan Cameron, Michael Crabtree and Patterson as a keeper for a 14th round pick. Most folks here, and I respect the opinions offered, recommended Patterson.

In the end I choose Crabtree as he was an established and skilled #1 WR with a good rapport with his QB over the other choices who both had uncertain QB situations going forward.

• Like 1

Have they considered putting him in the slot? That position could benefit him.

Slot receivers need to run really crisp routes and also option a lot based on what the D shows. Don't think this dude has the brains...

It's really mind boogling that's he's not being used like Harvin is in seattle.

Bubble screens a game -2

End arounds a game-2

Straight rushes a game-2

That should be 6 EASY touches...every game.

Like I said in the game thread last night, I'm tired of hearing this bullsh!t about him not being a good route runner. Does it take years of practice and study to run down the field as fast as you can? How about running 10 yards and turning around? I know they probably wouldn't even try having him run 7 yards and, God forbid, cutting to the left or right, but a 5 year old can run a button hook.

I honestly think he's banging Zimmer and/or Turner's wife. There's really no other explanation

^ It really doesn't make sense.

I mean if he was just getting these simple manufactured touches and couldn't do jack otherwise that would make some sense to me but they don't even seem to be attempting to get him the ball.

I don't doubt that he's a terrible route runner, and possibly dumb as a post, but this is on the coaches.