Sign in to follow this  
Giants Fan

Friend coming over Sunday, wants steak

I was telling him how I had picked up these 30% off New York strips, prolly a one time deal, have been back to that bargain bin in the store, not found a similar deal. He said, "Don't worry about it, I'll pay for it." So, I can get us both a nice steak. Maybe some mushrooms again, but I think I will get whole ones this time.

I would like to find those NY strips again, around $5 for a petite steak and I got the cooking down. Flash cook, flip, quick trip to the oven for finishing. But let's just say I was willing to pay $10 a steak ... Get some choice cuts. Filet.

Eat it raw?

Congrats on finding a friend who can afford to buy steak.

We ended up going with what was packaged again as New York strip and 30% off again, this time whole mushrooms, cut thicker slices, easier to clean ... but I think my friends steak, which was larger and he wanted cooked "well" was not as good a cut of beef as the smaller cut I had. Less gristle. His steak also had a small piece of bone... 2 very different cuts it seems. Mushrooms were wesome of course and I have chives growing, so mostly as a garnish, topped with fresh chives.

Total cost, 2 delicious steaks and sauted Mushrooms, quick cook using a skillet you can move from stovetop to oven .... Takes a half hour if you let the rub soak in for 15 minutes, $12 total. My steak I cooked more rare, so less shrinkage.

Friend is pussing out amd already going to sleep.

We never even finished both steaks. Cooked up the remaining mushrooms afterwards. They shrink, even when they soak in the beef juice, I would say for two people you could easily do a whole container of mushrooms. Again I suggest whole as the pre sliced ones still need to be washed. Easier to wash the full mushroom and slice it, if you own a knife that isn't covered in horse shiat. Also, I like thicker slices.

I plan to try this again, and maybe use some onion slices in addition, or instead of mushrooms.

I think it's kind of a variable cut. Commonly has that edge of fat along one side. I actually, during finishing turned my steak sideways, and let it balance for a little bit to slow down the cooking of the beef, and send those hot fat juices into it, and into the pan with the mushrooms.

My friend wanted his steak well, and I think that's a bad decision for this particular cut. I pretty much even finished it medium for him, because to actually cook it to well would ruin it, and he doesn't know the difference. He wants no pink. Cooked all the way through. Told him he should try some of mine, with some pink in the middle, and I won $80 off him playing chinese poker.

Fantasy football team laid an egg the final week. Not gonna cash, all 3 teams this year. Zero return.

We may be interested next year in a group of investors, and upwards of 20 teams, and pooled knowledge.

PM me for info.

We've learned a lot about how to play in this system.

If you wanted, of course this would be easy to modify to also make baked potatoes, and there,s enough trim and drippings to make gravy, if you can make a rue. I like the natural mushrooms and steak combination, juic s leftover Are good to make gravy, but if you expand it to 1 hour, and you put in a couple potatoes, right as soon as you turned on the oven ... no aluminum foil needed, just wash and right on the rack at 350 about an hour ahead of time.

Even with cuts like this, thee are trimmings, and fat leftover. In this case even some bone. So, I made a beef broth. This broth could ... will be used to make a hearty soup but could also be used to make gravy.

You might as well just start the oven a half hour earlier, plus 2 baked potatoes makes a more complete meal for 2 with a couple baked potatoes and you only run the oven for like an extra half hour.

Also, I got chives everywhere. I must have non-monsanto chives, because they reproduce easily. You want some good chive seed, PM me.

So maybe you spend another $2 on butter and sour cream, we are talking NY strip steak, with sauted mushrooms, baked potatoe wif sour cream, butter and fresh chopped chives. You wanna make some ghey salad, call that another 50 cents in cost per meal. Still under $10. $5 steak, .50 cents worth fresh mushrooms, 50 cents for a nice potato, or corn on the cob in season, 50 cents to a dollar worth of sour cream and butter. Real butter is expensive but worth it.

Yer looking at about $14, for two people., having a meal you would pay $30 a person for in a restaraunt. I have been to places that cook their beef with wood, and that makes a difference, but your standard place is gonna cook it in a skillet, like I do at home. Not hard to cook a decent steak with some tasty sides, for a reasonable cost.

Part of the trick of course, is finding a good $5 steak. It's an even easier recipe if you spend twice as much on some choice cuts of beef.

A fresher cut of beef, that is still all red and not brown, you will not find in the managers special bin at 30% off, but there is still good value in these slightly aged steaks. You can find some deals.

My Mom, every year throws out a lot of good (as in tasty) fat on Thnksgiving. i gotta ask her, "Did you reserve the drippings. Because that's where all the flavor is". What I do with a bird, partly because I love stuffing, is cook the pack of organs (giblets, liver, heart) and then you usually need to drain that for the juices you wanna make your gravy while still adding thise chunks to the stuffing.

But the pure drippings, you wanna use that to make a roux.

http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/culinaryfundamentals/ss/roux.htm

This is gonna allow you to make a delicious, smooth gravy.

My Mom, god bless her, tries to make healthy stuff. My dead brother was a pro chef at one time, he really taught me too cook. Got me one of my first jobs, washing dishes at $3.35 an hour. One a good night, a dish would come back, like a veal marsala ... And there's a nice piece of veal left ... Shame to throw it away, yeah I would eat leftovers, I was a growing teenager.

My brother was a better cook than me, in his opinion. I remember one time, was Christmas and my brother had cooked a rack of lamb and some crab legs.

Now, he ignored my suggestion to just heat the crab legs in the oven, which are already cooked. Boiling them makes no sense, it takes away flavor. And of course he also insisted the rack of lamb was rare ... pretty much raw. And so, his clueless farmers daughter wife was sitting there trying to get the kids to eat it. It was too rare. Then I cracked open a crab leg and a bunch of crab leg boil water splashed into his beer, and he kinda lost it. Yelled at his son sitting looking at a plate of almost raw lamb and making faces and my brother said, "If it was McNuggets you'd love it." and kinda threw a fit ... nobody liked his almost raw lamb. Not just the kids.

And like I said, most frozen crab legs are cooked, so you just need to heat them up. Boiling them again is overkill, unless you want to retain it to make some seafood stock.

Frozen crab legs will not "dry out" if you just re-heat them using aluminum foil for easy cleanup, or pretty much right on the rack.

The only reason to boil frozen crab legs, that are already cooked, is because you want to retain that water to make soup or a sauce.

My worst verion of this I over salted. i also wasn't patient enough to let the garlic salt disolve and penetrate, after the dry rub. Ended nicely carmelized but too salty. You can always add salt, you can't take it away, but I think an important aspect to this is you let the dry rubbsoak in for 15 minutes first, so one hour, 15 minutes from start to finish, and you can do it different ways, with capers and lemon or crushed red pepper and Siracha ... Lotta different ways you can do this, but for $2 worth of mushrooms .... People percive mushrooms as fancy.