Sign in to follow this  
murf74

Pete Carroll arrogance in one paragraph

Coaching helped make a difference in that game. Bill psyched out Carroll when he didn't call the time out. Very risky gamble but it paid off hugely

Can you imagine the discipline and restraint that took to not call a timeout? Their season was literally ticking away

Can you imagine the discipline and restraint that took to not call a timeout? Their season was literally ticking away

Trusted defense more than offense

A poor (strange?) choice of words... But, I doubt he really considers it wasting a play. You have to wonder where the head is at moments after that level of painful loss. You're defending yourself, you OC and team...

I'd venture to say that Bill Belichick agrees with you:

New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick has heard the criticism of the Seattle Seahawks' play calling at the end of Super Bowl XLIX, and he believes it is "totally out of line."

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/12277589/criticism-seattle-seahawks-play-call-line-bill-belichick-new-england-patriots-says

I think Belicek pulled the ultimate mindf#&k on carrol. The cameras were focused on belicek and the announcers were wondering why he wasnt calling a timeout in case seattle scored and then giving NE enough time to tie or win it after. I think Carrol was expecting a NE timeout but instead he was still in panic mode after the previous plays. Seahawks totally mismanaged the clock and got outsmarted by a coach that was prepared for that situation

I think Belicek pulled the ultimate mindf#&k on carrol. The cameras were focused on belicek and the announcers were wondering why he wasnt calling a timeout in case seattle scored and then giving NE enough time to tie or win it after. I think Carrol was expecting a NE timeout but instead he was still in panic mode after the previous plays. Seahawks totally mismanaged the clock and got outsmarted by a coach that was prepared for that situation

Let's not forget that Belichick has been in that specific situation in the title game a few times before. And they didn't get the outcome they wanted in either Giants game so he's had years to think about how he might play that differently, with a defense he trusts.

The biggest mistake by Carroll was burning a timeout earlier in the 2 minute drill when the play clock wound down to nearly zero. And that was after a game clock stoppage, which means they just couldn't decide what play to call.

If he doesn't burn that 2nd timeout, then when the ball is at the 1, he still has two timeouts to use, and he doesn't need to work in a pass play at all. Run on 2nd down, run on 3rd down, run on 4th down if needed. Clock can be stopped once before the 3rd down play and again before the 4th down play, so they don't worry about clock running down to nil without getting the plays they want. I guess technically he could use a passing play if he wanted to do so, but in his explanation he cited worrying about the clock. One more timeout in his pocket and that problem does not occur.

Of course, lots of things could've happened. Wilson and Lynch could have screwed up the handoff. Lynch might have fumbled. We'll never know. Kudos to the Pats for a fantastic play by both Browner (to avoid letting Butler get picked) and by Butler (for the play recognition and jumping the route in time). What an amazing game. Has to be the most exciting SB game ever.

• Like 1

The biggest mistake by Carroll was burning a timeout earlier in the 2 minute drill when the play clock wound down to nearly zero. And that was after a game clock stoppage, which means they just couldn't decide what play to call.

If he doesn't burn that 2nd timeout, then when the ball is at the 1, he still has two timeouts to use, and he doesn't need to work in a pass play at all. Run on 2nd down, run on 3rd down, run on 4th down if needed. Clock can be stopped once before the 3rd down play and again before the 4th down play, so they don't worry about clock running down to nil without getting the plays they want. I guess technically he could use a passing play if he wanted to do so, but in his explanation he cited worrying about the clock. One more timeout in his pocket and that problem does not occur.

Of course, lots of things could've happened. Wilson and Lynch could have screwed up the handoff. Lynch might have fumbled. We'll never know. Kudos to the Pats for a fantastic play by both Browner (to avoid letting Butler get picked) and by Butler (for the play recognition and jumping the route in time). What an amazing game. Has to be the most exciting SB game ever.

Bevel and Caroll have been doing this cr@p all year though. It had NOTHING to do with the TO's.

They've been going Shotgun and throwing in the redzone for most the year. Even last year, and why Lynch flipped them the bird.

The shotgun to me in the redzone is garbage unless it's clearly a pass situation. Yet, they run it as the norm on early downs.

They don't even utilize lynch on the play fake when they do this.

I've said this before - But, what happens if that pass goes Incomplete on 2nd. With one TO left, don't you think that 3rd down is absolutly predictable that they will be running it there and calling TO after? NE would surely still have there goaline def in.

SO if an important 3rd down becomes predictable, then what's the differance of running on 2nd down and using your TO, and then calling a predictable pass play on 3rd instead? Either way, the play is predicatable. But, you have more options with a pass then a run and you at least tried the run first with your best player.

Also, they could have called 2 plays after the TO on 2nd, and still run on 3rd anyway and still got a 4th down in. Plus not risk a pass.

The run option/pass would have been a nice call too if anything. But, Bevel only had Wilson do that about 2-4 times the entire playoff's. :mad:

Said it before and I still believe it now:

Passing the ball in that situation wasn't the problem. Calling a slant from the 1 yard line over the middle was. There are reasons to pass in that situation but if you're going to do it, you call some kind of bootleg run/pass option and Wilson throws it away if nobody is open. There is just way too much bad that can happen throwing a slant at the 1 yard line.

Personally, I don't care what Lynch's history at the goal line is. In that situation I am giving the ball to my best player. If he can't get it in I call my final TO and then start thinking pass.

The call was moronic all the way around.

• Like 3

Said it before and I still believe it now:

Passing the ball in that situation wasn't the problem. Calling a slant from the 1 yard line over the middle was. There are reasons to pass in that situation but if you're going to do it, you call some kind of bootleg run/pass option and Wilson throws it away if nobody is open. There is just way too much bad that can happen throwing a slant at the 1 yard line.

Personally, I don't care what Lynch's history at the goal line is. In that situation I am giving the ball to my best player. If he can't get it in I call my final TO and then start thinking pass.

The call was moronic all the way around.

m

I would care about Lynch's history at the goal line if I was going against a good goal line D. But Pats were not good at that this year.

Run or bootleg read was the way to go.

That said the Pats made a great play on the ball while Lockette failed to at least break up the INT.

I can't defend him. The fact that they were set up by such a miracle catch by Kearse to put them in that scoring position makes it even worse that they wouldn't roll conservative. Part of what makes the team great is their balls..but this isn't the first time playing ballsy has blown up in their face.

It still makes me nauseous.

Gil Brant said that play call was like a blackjack player hitting on 20. Great comparison.

It still makes me nauseous.

Belicheck is holding your hair, let it out, let it all out.