Sign in to follow this  
BunnysBastatrds

Katrina And Me....Ten Years Later

So today is Synday but ten years ago was Monday. Kind of like moving day at a major with ten times the drama and bad math skills. Really bad math skills. I feel like I grounded a club aka Dustin Johnson. I didn't get high on coke and fawk Gretskys daughter, but I did let Katrina finish off on my back. A double roper. Shame times two.

I woke up and said to myself.....really? I thought it would be much worse. Everything power was out. Power, water, gas, cable, phone, internet, anal black pregnant whores looking for 40's, and ice vendors. I could live without all of those. Except ice. My beer needed ice. Drinking piss warm suds is akin to anal bleaching. It hurts, butt you have to do it to be done correctly when needed. Application application application. Or location.

So my sixty foot pine tree that is half full didn't come down. Miracle within itself. There is a pecan tree directly behind it. They both shared leaves (think of a circle. One half shared leaves and the circumference as the other one did. Divide both and you get split) how that pine didn't come down is amazing.

I lost ten % of my roof. Mostly shingles.Had water damage in two rooms. Moderate. Lost a hunfdred and fifty feet of fence and a window. I was good. I had friends that lost everything.

Gun fire? What would they have been shooting at?

National guard troops, cops that didn't run, each other..

This. And each other. A cop told me a story a few days after the storm about him and his partner. His partners mom was in an old folks home St. Bernard Parish and went to go get her. This is just a few hours before Katrina made landfall. The roadways weren't flooded yet but there were trees down all over the city so they had to sometimes go off the beaten path. The power was already out so they had to rely on their headlights and search light. They were driving down this main thoroughfare a few miles from the Parish line when all of a sudden they heard gunshots in front of them. They couldn't tell who they were shooting at until they heard the first bullet their unit. They threw it in reverse and went down to the next block to call for some backup but they weren't New Orleans cops. They were cops from another parish. I won't say who, just in case.

They called their supervisor and were told that if they are shot again, take them out and make sure they are all dead. Just because there was a storm coming doesn't mean they can hunt police. They armed up. Both had brought some of their own personal weapons just in case. They were fawking armed to the teeth from what he told me. So they proceeded back down the street and were fired upon again. They fired back with AR-10's loaded with tracers every five shots. The ones shooting at them were in a house. They let it up. When they finally ceased fire and the other guys weren't shooting at them anymore, they went in the house to make sure there whoever was shooting at them was dead. They were.

They ended up getting the mother and her friend out of the old folks home hours before it flooded. It killed more than twenty elderly that didn't or couldn't get out. Had they been shot or killed, they wouldn't have been able to save his mother and friend.

Ok, I know my phone sucks But usually, unless you are purposely ignorant, you can figure out What word got f***** up. What the f*** is gelided?

I got my days crossed. Today is Tuesday Katrina time. Was day whatever. Three off I think. Or two. I don't remember. Wait, I do. Today would have been Tomorrow when the sh!t really started to hit the fan. Proverbially speaking.

It was hot as bawls. I sat on my deck in a arondic chair drinking hot Coors lite trying to figure out the meaning of life. It was hot. Really Fawking hot! Iadethe wrong choice. Enjoy the show or sit in heat.

My adobe was minus both, fawk me!!!

What did it smell like in NO a month after?

What did it smell like in NO a month after?

Rotten food. People who started coming back home in the areas that wern't hit the hardest, like my neighborhood, were cleaning out their fridges and freezers getting rid of whatever it was you had in them and sat for weeks. One day when I got bored, I cleaned six of my friends fridges the first week after. A good example is my friends Joe and Christine. They had called me and asked if I would check on their house as they were stuck in Houston. The power was still out at their house and had been for a week, so whatever was in their fridge, was good and ripe. I pulled out a few pounds of steak, hamburger meat, trout, venisan sausage, gumbo, a ham bone, gallon of milk, and all kinds of other sh!t. It smelled what I imagine Phillybears basement smells like. Death. So as I'm just about finished their is a pot roast in the freezer that was starting to swell in the bag. It looked like one of those blow fish you see on the beach. I had thrown everything else in a hefty bag. But with this one, I had to be careful. My plan was to pick it up very gently. Like a grenade waiting to go off. Except this was a blood and nasty rotten meat grenade. I got halfway through their living room and "boom". I was hit. Fawker exploded all over me. Face,hair, legs, arms, everything was covered with decomposing meat blood. After I finished hosing off, I gathered everything up and put out on the street. Where, like most people, you never knew when the garbage truck was coming. There was no schedule. They had the trucks but no one to operate them. So it sat in your can, sometimes for weeks, till they came.

People who didn't want to clean their fridge were advised to just tape it up and let it sit on your curb. All that food rotting in a tin box. Uoooo that smell. Or bring it to a drop station they had set up in and old parking lot. They had a smart South American kid that saw that cemetery full of rotting fridge and freezers and made a business. He cleaned them out and shipped them to his home country where he sold them cheap. He made a fortune.

So as you can imagine, we had a fly problem. They were everywhere. And they were fat and fawking happy. I handled a claim in St. Bernard Parish, which is right next to the 9th ward where the levee broke. It was probably a month or more after the storm. It was at a small mom and pop grocery. The guy who owned the store had just bought a brand new Lexus SUV. Black, leather, sun roof, fully loaded. Very nice. He had hid it behind the store near a back wall. Just like everything else in ST. Bernard Parish, it sat in nine feet of flood water for a couple of weeks. So it was my job to do an estimate on it. I've looked at just about every kind of vehicle in every kind of situation, but none like this. He had parked it behind the wall where the meat department was. After the water went down, looters broke into the store in through that wall so it was wide open. The owner hadn't cleaned his store out yet as he was still evacuated. So that meat sat their for six weeks and became the greatest buffet a fly would ever find and feist on. Better than fawkin Harrahs I bet. And where did they rest after untightening their belts? My black Lexus. The smell was pretty bad but I was used to it. What I wasn't used to was being bombarded by huge fat fawking flys that were annoyed at my nap time interruption. I took all my pictures and did what I need to do all except for one: I had to ID it by taking a pic of the vin in the door. Which meant breaking the window and opening the door. It took me ten minutes to do it. There were so many flys, big fat fawking flies, that when they ran into me, it felt like somebody was throwing penny's at me. I earned my money on that one.

Ughh! Helicopters and gun fire. No power. No water or AC. Canned goods and D batteries. The good was bbqing what was left in the freezer.

Day 7. The power came back on. Which was such a huge relief. I had heard it might be a month, but the city I live in had become one of the command centers for the Greater New Orleans area. It was imperative that they get the juice flowing again. We were high and dry and had working communication systems. They had government agencies from all over the country coming here at this point. Everything and everybody From Virginia Wildlife and Fisheries to the F.B.I. to the Canadian Mounted Police. All of these agencies had full access to the roads and the bridge to New Orleans. I felt safe. So safe, that I stopped carrying my gun on my person and put it not to far out of reach. Up to that point, the only problem I had where I wanted to draw it was at a rat that scared the fawk out me on the power line. I was going to shoot him but decided there was enough shooting going on and I'd probably miss that fat fawker anyway.

So with all of these agencies coming here to help, they loosened the curfew rules. They had a 24 curfew put in place. But now they had a night time curfew. If you weren't inside by the last light hitting yo ass, you were going to jail. And they wern't fawking around. Most of the police were working on little to no sleep. Eating sh!tty MRE's and sleeping on floors till it was time to go back out again and deal with what basically felt like a war zone. They wern't in the mood and most everybody knew not to test them.

I would venture out during the day and have a looksie. You basically say "Hollfawkingshit" to yourself the entire time. I heard rumors that there was a gas station that had opened on the highway and they were serving hot fried chicken and red beans. I didn't need gas as I was stocked, but the idea of a hot meal and having gas from it was to good not to investigate. I ended up getting two plates and two more cases of beer. The only beer they had was Natty Light. I hadn't had a Natty Light since college. I was reminded why after eating fried chicken, red beans, and a case of Natty. I had to go back to the store. I ran out of TP. :mad:

Anyway, I would always be back well before night fall so I could listen to the radio broadcasts of what was going on in the city and surrounding parish's. I'd drink some (now) cold beer, count the hundreds of gunshots coming from accross the river, and prey that everybody would be OK. I got some good news that night that made me ok. Now that the power was coming back on, the family would be home the next night. That night was the best night of sleep I had in a week.

I can only imagine what kind of muck rises up after a place is underwater that shouldnt be.

Toxic soup is what somebody said the national media called it. Spot on. Lot's of dead animals and mud.