Sign in to follow this  
DonS

Carson Palmer - can he stay healthy?

After last year's performance, and with all of his offensive weapons returning, I'm very tempted in waiting on taking Palmer as my QB1. The only thing that gives me pause is his age and injury history.

Has anyone else passed on him due to age/history? Or do you pull the trigger and grab your QB2 sooner than you normally would as a precaution? Week 16 match-up at Seattle is something to consider as well.

Unless they allow that line to get away with a shite ton of holding, I can't see where it's got much better than last year.

I think he's a solid QB1 this year. As for the injuries, it's a bit of a red flag, maybe knocks him down a notch or two but any QB can get hit wrong in the pocket and miss the season. I would look to get a solid QB2 if I got Palmer as my starter but I usually look to do that any way. He can really sling it and is in a good spot to be a top 5 QB if he plays 16. I believe he's worth the risk.

He's a Qb 1 , and has the same chance of an injury as any other Qb.

He's a Qb 1 , and has the same chance of an injury as any other Qb.

Higher since he is old and has a lengthy history of injury. You cant be worried about Romo and not Carson, they have similar injury risk.

Higher since he is old and has a lengthy history of injury. You cant be worried about Romo and not Carson, they have similar injury risk.

Absolutely that's what I said , same chance of injury as any other Qb .

The right hit a tthe right time to any Qb can take them down .

Its absolutely not at all. Romo and Carson have a higher chance of injury, hence, higher than other qbs. One notch higher risk than the standard "1 hit away" every player is. Thats the whole point of calling someone injury prone. Otherwise yea every player is 1 hit away.

When I see that Cowboys Qb coach is talking about Romo having some back stiffness makes me concern about Romo going forward .

I don't see anything about Palmer having an injury issue, only news I see on him is that his team feels comfortable enough with Palmer going forward that they sign him to an extension .

So myself I feel much more comfortable with Palmer going into this season and I don't feel comfortable at all with Romo .

Now that report from the Cowboys Qb coach was on Aug 2nd so that type of news on a player that missed a lot of games last seasons make me feel uncomfortable drafting Romo .

Its absolutely not at all. Romo and Carson have a higher chance of injury, hence, higher than other qbs. One notch higher risk than the standard "1 hit away" every player is. Thats the whole point of calling someone injury prone. Otherwise yea every player is 1 hit away.

This is not correct. Not all starting qbs have the same chance of injury.

At similar prices, it's Carson in a walk. Most of his injuries have been of the 'anyone would've been hurt' variety. Tony scares me more because of recurring injuries and his age. He might actually be almost done. But you need a decent backup for both just in-case. IE: whoever is cheaper out of later guys you like.

Side: I can't shake the desire to take Brees again if folks don't want him (again). His ranking among qbs last year in preseason (barely top 10 if that) was nonsense at the time for me. Him and Ben both. If so, I'd pair him with someone with decent upside (crab legs/Rivers/Eli depending on who fell to me) to start when the saints are on the road. That's pretty much Drew's story...shady and shaky on the road (no matter the matchup), grand and gravy at the superdome.

It depends on your league tho. My older league is mostly folks who wait on qbs and even then may take just one only to be sad if they get it wrong. I usually wait until at least mid-rounds (7-10), take 1 qb with the expectation that he'll end up top 5 even though he's the 9th or 11th qb taken. Then I take another one in the last 4 or 5 rounds. Sure, I lose one round 14-ish lotto ticket but I give myself Qb insurance.