Sign in to follow this  
eaglesfreak

Need assistance on Playoff seeding matchups (espn)

We have 6 teams that make it..with #1 and #2 having a bye..My question is...We had this issue last year and want to get come clarification just in case we run into this problem again...the #3 seed plays the #6 seed and say the #6 seed wins..Does the #6 seed play the #1 seed team or the #2 seed? Last year ESPN generated the #6 playing the #2....Is this how it works? Always thought the #1 seed always plays the lowest seed? Just need some clarification...Thanks

Number one seed playes the lowest seed

Number one seed playes the lowest seed

See this is the problem..i thought this was the case but other people say the 2 seed plays winner of 3 vs 6 team...which is the correct way

I do not believe ESPN flips the brackets if a lower seed wins to match them against the #1 seed.

Opinion: Playoffs should NEVER be re-seeded or flipped. Standard 6-team tournament (and ESPN) format has 1 and 2 on bye, with 1 playing the winner of 4 vs 5 and 2 playing the winner of 3 vs 6. Regardless of who wins between 3 and 6, that winner should go to play the 2 seed. As a 6 seed, your punishment is playing the highest seed playing (#3). If you win, you should not be punished again by having to play #1 the next week.

If you want to do it like they do in the real NFL playoffs they reseed for the 2nd round, or the top seed plays the lowest remaining seed. This is how I do it in the leagues I run.

I have run into this numerous times and on ESPN it doesn't do it this way automatically. It's 1 vs 4 or 5, and 2 vs 3 or 6. You can go and change it manually.

Go back and look in the league history and you should be able to see how it was last season.

I always adjust the brackets to have the highest vs lowest seeds play each other,

P.S. That is stipulated in our written by-laws.

The number one team should be playing the lowest seed.

And so on.

It should be listed in the league settings (on ESPN anyway). After looking I think it's standard for them to flip the bracket if lower seed wins.

From the perspective of "should" it happen? The answer is no. I taught tennis in my early adulthood, played in and helped out in lots of tournaments, including building the brackets. Ran the tournaments for youth basketball league that one year had 100+ teams and over 160 games played in the tournament. Once the bracket is set, it's set. If you're the #7 seed and beat the #2 seed, your reward should be the easier path of the #2 seed. You shouldn't get flipped and have to face the #1 seed as a reward for the upset. Never liked it, never will.