Sign in to follow this  
cavern

Can someone help me determine if my ESPN league waivers messed up?

So, i am commish of an espn league. We do waivers "reset each week to inverse order of standings".

i finished first and earned a bye last week. i have a semifinal matchup this week. While our official rules are to "play it by ESPN Rules" (while set to inverse....) i really would have expected to have #10 waiver priority. For some reason i had 6th. and i managed to land bilal powell. one owner questioned this already (but there is not likely to be any controversy as i always do things right and, if there is ever a judgement call i always hurt my team first - which i may be about to do anyway)

the only logical explanation i could come up with is that ESPN resets after the playoffs and this week i was 0-0 in the playoffs and ahead of the 4 @ 1-0 teams. but when i did a search of espn rules, that is not what is said: here is what is said (although i am not sure we are "custom league" (we use free) but i couldn't find anything for "free" leagues)

Custom League Playoffs: Waiver Rules
During the Playoffs your league uses the same Waiver Rules as set during the Regular Season. If your league uses "Resets Every Tuesday To Inverse Order Of Standings" the waiver order will reset each week, but the system determines this order by the final regular season standings. In other words, it won't change week to week because the regular season is finished and the order is fixed. Note: If you're the league manager and want to change this rule go to your League Settings page and click on the (edit) link to the right of "LEAGUE RULES". On that page set the Waiver System pulldown to "Move To Last After Claim" and submit. This will adjust your Waiver Rule for the duration of the season.

based on that reading i would have been 10th and stayed 10th throughout.

so - what would YOU do? is it a screw up by espn? is it correct and i am missing it? is there anyone with espn to ask?

I can't answer your question specifically, but as far as I know the 'custom leagues' are the free, standard leagues. The 'custom' part denotes the league manager's ability to tinker with the standard settings, I believe.

Probably playoff teams are still competing, the best regular season record picks kast of the teams in the playoff. Are 6 teams in your playoffs?

yes - 6 teams. wildcards played week 14. Division winners (of which i am one) now play last week's winners. i just know that i had #6, so maybe you're right. the person who asked the question was in the consolation bracket. none of the playoff teams have questioned it, so i'm thinking they didn't put in a claim for him (which is understandable as we're a keeper league and powell doesn't have alot of "next year" appeal.

Probably playoff teams are still competing, the best regular season record picks kast of the teams in the playoff. Are 6 teams in your playoffs?

So, i am commish of an espn league. We do waivers "reset each week to inverse order of standings".

i finished first and earned a bye last week. i have a semifinal matchup this week. While our official rules are to "play it by ESPN Rules" (while set to inverse....) i really would have expected to have #10 waiver priority. For some reason i had 6th. and i managed to land bilal powell. one owner questioned this already (but there is not likely to be any controversy as i always do things right and, if there is ever a judgement call i always hurt my team first - which i may be about to do anyway)

the only logical explanation i could come up with is that ESPN resets after the playoffs and this week i was 0-0 in the playoffs and ahead of the 4 @ 1-0 teams. but when i did a search of espn rules, that is not what is said: here is what is said (although i am not sure we are "custom league" (we use free) but i couldn't find anything for "free" leagues)

Custom League Playoffs: Waiver RulesDuring the Playoffs your league uses the same Waiver Rules as set during the Regular Season. If your league uses "Resets Every Tuesday To Inverse Order Of Standings" the waiver order will reset each week, but the system determines this order by the final regular season standings. In other words, it won't change week to week because the regular season is finished and the order is fixed. Note: If you're the league manager and want to change this rule go to your League Settings page and click on the (edit) link to the right of "LEAGUE RULES". On that page set the Waiver System pulldown to "Move To Last After Claim" and submit. This will adjust your Waiver Rule for the duration of the season.

based on that reading i would have been 10th and stayed 10th throughout.

so - what would YOU do? is it a screw up by espn? is it correct and i am missing it? is there anyone with espn to ask?

Speaking as someone who is #1 seed in a 10 person ESPN league - with a bye, just as you had, I was listed - and remained listed - the #10 waiver priority, and I did not get Powell. I had him on my roster all year, until two weeks ago, when I got tired of waiting.

Damn.

This could be the issue. You may have ESPN set without consideration for the teams who are not playoff contenders. A setting such as "continue to accrue points in playoff weeks" may account for such a thing.

I wouldn't put it past ESPN being screwed up.

2 of my leagues are entering the playoffs this week with the same waiver settings. One has it set as if the regular season is still going on, where teams out of the playoffs are at the top of the order on down just as the standings go.

The other league has it off and I can't figure out exactly what it has done. It's correct as to the inverse order of the total standings but the team in 3rd is at the bottom of the order for reasons I can't explain.

I have had problems with ESPN and this sort of thing in the past and they have had problems with their site this season, mainly the mobile app.

i appreciate the replies.

let's say, for just a second, that i wanted to say it's screwed up and i wanted to fix it. is there a log on ESPN that i can view, as commish, that will show me who all put in for powell? meaning, can i correct it without making a big deal about it and asking everyone whether they put in for him, etc?

I've never been a commish, but I have inquired about waiver transactions before and the ESPN folks have on record who / when claims were filed. I don't know if you have access but you should be able to find out from them who filed claims on Powell.

Even as commish you should not have the ability to see the waiver claims ahead of time, but you should be able to see who put in claims and when they were denied after waivers run.

i appreciate the replies.

let's say, for just a second, that i wanted to say it's screwed up and i wanted to fix it. is there a log on ESPN that i can view, as commish, that will show me who all put in for powell? meaning, can i correct it without making a big deal about it and asking everyone whether they put in for him, etc?

I'm pretty sure there isn't a log you can see the claims.

We had a somewhat similar issue in one of my leagues with DeAngelo Williams last season and the commish put him back on waivers and made him ineligible for pick up until the next day.

My advice would be do that and reset the order or just let it go. Either way it's probably going to piss off someone though.

On ESPN, anyone in the league can look at who made bids on what players and what the bid was.

Go to PLAYERS and then choose Free Agent Auction Report.

On ESPN, anyone in the league can look at who made bids on what players and what the bid was.

Go to PLAYERS and then choose Free Agent Auction Report.

It's waiver report in a league that doesn't use auctions.

Never realized it showed unsuccessful claims before. I only saw it had successful claims but changed weeks and found some.

Good to know. :thumbsup: