Sign in to follow this  
ffexpert

Taking advantage of default rankings

Abusing default rankings is perhaps the best way to find value in your draft . Who are the guys you think are ranked too low (or to high) by your website (yahoo, ESPN ect)?

This is actually an excellent topic, and can provide a huge advantage if you can find outliers in your website's rankings, especially in auction drafts. For example, NFL.com, CBS, and Yahoo might have player X at $12, while ESPN has him at $2. And, yes, there are a LOT of outliers like that. If your draft is on ESPN, that's a player that you can confidently bid $8 on. Your league thinks you overbid, while consensus says you got a bargain.

Just took a peak at Yahoo's predraft rankings for a league I'm drafting on Sunday. I never look at these, because I'm always using my own queue instead. But here's a few highlights of what I'm seeing:

RB Ranks, top to bottom:

DJ

Bell
Ajayi

Fournette

Murray

McCoy

Gordon

Howard

Freeman

Elliott

Gurley

Hyde

Perkins

Lynch

McCaff

Crowell

Hunt

Gilli

Miller

Coleman

Powell

Ingram

TyMont

Cook

Anderson

Peterson

Mixon

:shocking:

I've got one hint for you.

dont rely on Yahoo rankings.

So would one suggest these rankings on various sights sabotage the casual fan, or a blessing that saves said person $7 from purchasing an out dated mag?

I think the rankings overall are fairly accurate. You, me, and the next guy can debate running backs #6-12 for example. And how can we expect a computer or Jimmy Yahoo to even rank Zeke right now with his immediate future uncertain. This alone will cause a shift to the overall list.

I for one would like an option to NOT have rankings available during online drafts. Essentially, a monkey or even my wonderful ex wife could even put together a nice team nowadays because of this... but then again, this is what fantasy football has become. Anyone can play.

I for one would like an option to NOT have rankings available during online drafts. Essentially, a monkey or even my wonderful ex wife could even put together a nice team nowadays because of this... but then again, this is what fantasy football has become. Anyone can play.

I'm pretty sure you can sort by name/team/last year's stats, etc on most sites during drafts so you aren't forced to use thier adp rankings.

And you are right; rankings have essentially leveled the playing field. over the last 20 years getting an edge on your opponents has gotten more and more difficult, since most news/injuries hit the internet immediately for all to see.

All the pay sites out there peddling "exclusive content" and such are further evidence of that difficulty.

Using your own lists versus site specific adp can be great (if your list is right) but overall I believe that's just one part of your keys to success.

These days it takes drafting bpa, not getting caught up in position runs, making good waiver wire moves and/or trades after the draft and a little luck with injuries to get it done.

I'm pretty sure you can sort by name/team/last year's stats, etc on most sites during drafts so you aren't forced to use thier adp rankings.

And you are right; rankings have essentially leveled the playing field. over the last 20 years getting an edge on your opponents has gotten more and more difficult, since most news/injuries hit the internet immediately for all to see.

All the pay sites out there peddling "exclusive content" and such are further evidence of that difficulty.

Using your own lists versus site specific adp can be great (if your list is right) but overall I believe that's just one part of your keys to success.

These days it takes drafting bpa, not getting caught up in position runs, making good waiver wire moves and/or trades after the draft and a little luck with injuries to get it done.

Funny thing is, I can put together better rankings than many of the pay sites out there.

The reason I am here at fftoday is because the ranking quality is fairly decent (meaning I dont have to do a ton of tweaking of the house rankings to get my list in order) and I know I occasionally disagree with people on the boards, but a lot of the people on the boards are fairly knowlegeable and I enjoy a good debate.

honestly, If you have time to read the boards on a regular basis, you will likely know more just by default than most people.