Sign in to follow this  
edjr

2 dead, 19 injured in Kentucky school shooting; suspect held

Answer this. Does this advocate of gun control warrant serious discussion? If so, based on what?

Sure, if your stance is based on data rather than dogma. But you quickly resort to name-calling and dismissing the opposition, making it hard to discuss anything.

On the contrary. I take every serious advocate of gun control seriously. I have to. :dunno:

I don't believe for a second that everybody should be running around with guns.

Just like I don't think everybody should be driving cars or having kids.

It's the knee jerk, reactionary, know nothing's that I oppose. Perhaps I do myself and, more importantly, my argument, a disservice by being as passionate (or obstinate) as I am about the topic. However, I have a lifetime of hands on experience with firearms that argues against your position.

All due respect Doc. I appreciate your perspective, I really do. We just happen to disagree here.

Nothing about my position is knee jerk. I hadn't thought about gun control at all until threads like these, and changed my original stance after reviewing studies I've posted here multiple times: http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=454996&page=10&do=findComment&comment=5706089

Advocates tend to ignore data regarding gun deaths in places with more regulation domestically and abroad, particularly gun-related suicides, in favor of appeals to emotion based on feeling safer with guns, despite study after study showing the contrary. Or they act as if their interpretation of the 2nd is sacrosanct. Sprinkle in a little "ban cars, swimming pools, etc?!?!", "mass shooters target gun-free zones", "the government is gonna enslave us!" or "it's mostly just the negroes shooting each other" and we never really discuss anything before the name-calling begins.

It's useful to ask yourself in any debate, what would it take for me to switch to the other side? If you cannot think of anything, it probably isn't worth discussing at all.

Sure, if your stance is based on data rather than dogma. But you quickly resort to name-calling and dismissing the opposition, making it hard to discuss anything.

Nothing about my position is knee jerk. I really hadn't thought about gun control at all until threads like these, and changed my original stance after reviewing data I've posted here multiple times.

I didn't mean to suggest that your position was knee jerk. I fully believe that you've done your due diligence with regards to the matter.

I simply disagree with your opinion.

I didn't mean to suggest that your position was knee jerk. I fully believe that you've done your due diligence with regards to the matter.

I simply disagree with your opinion.

Fair enough.

nah, so far they haven't attacked high schools in the states.

They only make fake bombs.

:nono: clocks