Sign in to follow this  
jrokh

Dalton to IR, Done for season

Bengals placed QB Andy Dalton on injured reserve with torn ligaments in his thumb, ending his season.

This can't be good for the Bengals offense.

This can't be good for the Bengals offense.

Or it can be very good. Never been a huge fan of Dalton. Except in Road House.

Maybe, I don't see Jeff Driskoll, or Tom Savage as an upgrade but hey, Nick Mullens was awesome for a game. I do however like the Road House reference :thumbsup:

No way this can be good news for the Bengals.

What happened was that on the 3rd play of the 2nd Half, the center snapped the ball over Dalton's head and Dalton ran for his life after the ball, came in too fast to properly secure it, and somewhere in that first lunge or in a second attempt to reach for the ball after it scooted away, injured the thumb. I was watching the game and am a Tyler Boyd owner and saw that things picked up for Boyd after Driskel came in. But I went and checked the Game Log to be sure. So if you're not a Boyd owner, the next paragraph will provide little of interest.

Boyd's line on the day was 8-7-85-1. His Dalton line (all in the first Half) was 3-2-23. His official Driskel line (all occurring in the 2nd Half) was 5-5-62-1. Throw in a couple targets on two plays that got negated by penalty and the entire Driskel line was 7-6-108-1 (Boyd made a nifty grab for a 46 yarder on a play in which there were penalties on both sides). Boyd's target share of all 31 Driskel attempts (including the two plays that got negated) was 22.6%.

In the first preseason game I watched, the Bengals were crisp while the first stringers were in. Then the eyelids began to droop while watching the second stringers and got progressively heavier, if you know what I mean. But when Driskel came in as a third stringer. i was awakened from my semi-slumber as the team gelled and a couple of effective drives were put together. if memory serves, they promoted him to second string for the second preseason game but, alas, this is where my memory fails me. I don't really remember how he did and I didn't get the opportunity to watch the last 2 games.

Anyway, based on what I saw, I'm giving Driskel the benefit of the doubt for being able to surprise me and turn in a job as a scrappy, reasonably good field general. He did, after all, register 19 FF points in one half of work Sunday. Take that, and the fact Boyd's numbers were better under Driskel than Dalton and i'm going to start Boyd just as confidently as if Dalton were playing. One could argue that Boyd's boost came in garbage time but it was already garbage time at the 9:27 mark of the 2nd Quarter when the Browns took a 21-0 lead, and Dalton still wasn't able to scare up anything good with Boyd the rest of the way.

Sometimes you see back up qbs come in during a game after the starter goes down and performes really good.

And maybe even the next game, but tape them starts to develop of that player and then they tend to have some problems.

I think the Dalton injury will hurt the bengals and those own in ff.

I’m also a Boyd owner and I’m now concern going forward and expecally with the ff playoffs coming up.

Ff at its best.

I mentioned above that I'd still start Boyd confidently despite the change in QBs. As it turns out, i'm going to sit him today though. The sit has nothing to do with Driskel. It's discomfort over the fact that he's projected to face off against Chris Harris and also due to the arrival of Spencer Ware on my roster. I'm also starting Adam Humphries who did well vs CAR last time out.

Humphries was a great call.