Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Jordan Howard traded to Eagles

23 minutes ago, Phil Simms 11 said:

So the Eagles get Howard and also gave up 5th but will get back a 4th round pick? What’s the downside?

Bears I thought we’re in win now mode. Bad trade for them.

Getting rid of an RB that averages 3.7 yards per carry on 250 carries and only 20 receptions on the year is the definition of 'win now mode'. And where does it say the eagles get a 4th rounder for bringing him under their salary cap?

This is going to end up being a great deal for the Eagles.  Howard didn't fit the Bears' new model, so there's nothing wrong with moving him.  The fact that the NFL doesn't put a lot of value in the RB position tells me that the return for Howard was perfectly fine.  The Eagles however got a great "buy-low" player.  Howard will definitely be a 4+ ypc guy this year.

I think I agree with the above post, Howard will be a 4 plus ypc rb this season, but it will come with less then 200 att. 

They have four capable Rbs with Howard on the team, and they will use them all. 

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

This is going to end up being a great deal for the Eagles.  Howard didn't fit the Bears' new model, so there's nothing wrong with moving him.  The fact that the NFL doesn't put a lot of value in the RB position tells me that the return for Howard was perfectly fine.  The Eagles however got a great "buy-low" player.  Howard will definitely be a 4+ ypc guy this year.

The Eagles run a similar system to Nagy and the Bears. 

On 3/29/2019 at 7:12 PM, sderk said:

Do you think Howard was upset at lack of use?  I haven't heard anything about it but who knows? Thing is he got 250 carries last year and with only 3.7 yards per carry he didn't do himself any favors to demand more.  Dude was a 5th round pick himself I think. I'm glad the Bears got a draft pick at all rather than just a cut of him.

its hard to say what goes on behind closed doors.

but if the Bears wanted to make Cohen the starter, I'd think that wouldnt be pleasant news for Howard.  You cannot think he'd be happy with that development.

Maybe they elected to trade him because they knew he wouldnt like the news.   or maybe they told him and he immediately asked for a trade.

or maybe neither happened and there was another simmering issue where they decided the best way to address the problem is to get rid of him.

16 minutes ago, sderk said:

The Eagles run a similar system to Nagy and the Bears. 

Yes, but they execute it differently.  The Eagles do actually try to pound the ball through the middle with good blocking guards and a center... the Bears don't.  The Eagles also have a QB that defenses respect.  The Bears don't.

22 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

its hard to say what goes on behind closed doors.

but if the Bears wanted to make Cohen the starter, I'd think that wouldnt be pleasant news for Howard.  You cannot think he'd be happy with that development.

Maybe they elected to trade him because they knew he wouldnt like the news.   or maybe they told him and he immediately asked for a trade.

or maybe neither happened and there was another simmering issue where they decided the best way to address the problem is to get rid of him.

True. It was a pretty tight lipped deal. After seeing and hearing for months about Bell, Beckham, Brown, etc, I really quite enjoy the silence and speculation fun on this one.