Sign in to follow this  
WhiteWonder

TTU bet to win $300k

possible moon landing

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ncaa-tournament-2019-texas-tech-national-title-bettor-could-turn-1500-into-300000/

The odds of the ticket are cashing are low. But then again, so were the 200-1 odds Texas Tech would win it all the person wagered on. Now it's nearly cashing. According to ESPN, the bettor could be looking to hedge the bet, and the ticket has been posted at PropSwap, a marketplace where bettors can buy and sell futures tickets, for $65,000. 

I don't think i'd sell the ticket for 65,000..... but obviously i'd hedge now and hedge again. put 20 thousand on MSU and if texas tech advances, put another 75 thousand or so on Virginia (or Auburn). 

who would bet 1500 on TT?

if my math is right (MSU -155 ML) he'd have to bet $31,000 to get $20,000,which IMO would still be a no brainer based on what he could possibly win if TTU wins it all.

22 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

possible moon landing

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ncaa-tournament-2019-texas-tech-national-title-bettor-could-turn-1500-into-300000/

I don't think i'd sell the ticket for 65,000..... but obviously i'd hedge now and hedge again. put 20 thousand on MSU and if texas tech advances, put another 75 thousand or so on Virginia (or Auburn). 

That only works if you have 95,000 dollars cash laying around?

27 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

well yes, naturally. In this situation, Im assuming someone who made a 1500 bet before the basketball season began probably has 100+k in a bank account they can readily access. Each hedge you make is simply taking a chunk away from the ultimate prize of 300k but giving you a fallback of 20k(-1.5 original bet) or 75k (-1.5 original bet and -31k first hedge)

32 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Not laying around, but I would borrow from my 401k and then pay it right back. There is no way to lose it

45 minutes ago, edjr said:

who would bet 1500 on TT?

Speaking of this I'll never forget leaving Vegas in 2004 and one of friends said we ought to throw some money at the BoSox to win the AL when they were down 3-0 to the Yanks.I laughed it off thinking no way that's going to happen.Wished I could remember what the odds were but maybe it's better I don't :wall:

1 hour ago, nzoner said:

Speaking of this I'll never forget leaving Vegas in 2004 and one of friends said we ought to throw some money at the BoSox to win the AL when they were down 3-0 to the Yanks.I laughed it off thinking no way that's going to happen.Wished I could remember what the odds were but maybe it's better I don't :wall:

Last time I was in Vegas 2010, before we left I tried to find a decent player with good odds. We both slapped 250 each on Anthony Kim (remember him?) was like 25 to 1.  Fat fock phil beat him by a few strokes, it wasn't really that close, but he still came in 3rd  :wall:  We said if we won we were going to fly back and party it up with the winnings. Haven't been back since

4 minutes ago, edjr said:

Last time I was in Vegas 2010, before we left I tried to find a decent player with good odds. We both slapped 250 each on Anthony Kim (remember him?) was like 25 to 1.  Fat fock phil beat him by a few strokes, it wasn't really that close, but he still came in 3rd  :wall:  We said if we won we were going to fly back and party it up with the winnings. Haven't been back since

I was there last week.  :wave:.  Probably a couple more times later this year as well.

5 minutes ago, patweisers44 said:

I was there last week.  :wave:.  Probably a couple more times later this year as well.

SIL's 40th in September, she was married there and wants go to go there for her bday. I am invited but not sure yet

3 minutes ago, edjr said:

SIL's 40th in September, she was married there and wants go to go there for her bday. I am invited but not sure yet

One of mine will be in that timeframe, and I have a little control over the date.  Keep me posted.

4 minutes ago, patweisers44 said:

One of mine will be in that timeframe, and I have a little control over the date.  Keep me posted.

😚