Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - WR Terrace Marshall Jr., Panthers

Team Fit: There are times Marshall shows why he was considered the No. 1 receiver recruit in Louisiana (ahead of Ja'Marr Chase); he scored a whopping 23 touchdowns on 94 catches over his last two seasons - many of the big-play variety. Other times, however, he appears disinterested (seven drops on 55 catchable balls this season, per Pro Football Focus). At his best, Marshall uses his 6-3 frame and 39-inch vertical jump to win in contested-catch situations or his sub-4.4 speed to run by his defender. The problem is he doesn't always use his natural athleticism and sometimes allows defenders to dictate the terms. There are other reasons for concern: lower-body injuries have been a problem in recent years and the timing of his opt-out in 2020 was odd to say the least - he left shortly before the Tigers faced rival Alabama. Marshall has the talent to be a lead receiver in the NFL one day, but it seems unlikely to happen in Carolina with D.J. Moore and Robby Anderson locked into starting roles.

What does it mean in redraft? WR5. Marshall figures to take some (most) of the slot snaps left behind by Curtis Samuel, but he's going to be stuck behind Christian McCaffrey, Moore and Anderson on the passing game food chain. An injury to Moore or Anderson could vault him into high-end WR4 consideration, however.

Where should I expect him to go in my rookie drafts? Check back next week.

Although he didn't have the same talent on the outside with the Jets, Darnold did seem to feed Crowder in the slot a lot.

I know, different offense, different players, but old habits are something to consider...

I've been looking into Mr. Marshall a bit since it looks like he'll be available during my rookie draft.  I'm not impressed.  He seems like a contested catch type of receiver.  From what I see he doesn't seem to get much separation unless the scheme gets does it for him.

1 hour ago, nobody said:

I've been looking into Mr. Marshall a bit since it looks like he'll be available during my rookie draft.  I'm not impressed.  He seems like a contested catch type of receiver.  From what I see he doesn't seem to get much separation unless the scheme gets does it for him.

Here was my full predraft summary of him (minus the video evidence):

High-end NFL Player Comp(s): A less muscular but faster version of Courtland Sutton
Low-end NFL Player Comp(s): TreQuan Smith

Best Scheme Fit: As a field-stretching Z receiver in a vertical-based passing attack who could serve as his team's primary threat in the red zone.

There are times Marshall shows why he was considered the No. 1 receiver recruit in Louisiana (ahead of Ja'Marr Chase); he scored a whopping 23 touchdowns on 94 catches over his last two seasons - many of the big-play variety. Other times, however, he appears disinterested (seven drops on 55 catchable balls this season, per Pro Football Focus). At his best, Marshall uses his 6-3 frame and 39-inch vertical jump to win in contested-catch situations or his sub-4.4 speed to run by his defender. The problem is he doesn't always use his natural athleticism and sometimes allows defenders to dictate the terms. If he could simply change that part of his game, there is a chance Marshall would not have taken a back seat to college teammates Justin Jefferson and Ja'Marr Chase during the Tigers' national championship run in 2019. Marshall did replace Jefferson as the team's primary slot in 2020 and generally showed no fear working over the middle of the field (when he wasn't asked to run a go route, that is), but there are other reasons for concern: lower-body injuries have been a problem in recent years and the timing of his opt-out in 2020 was odd to say the least - he left shortly before the Tigers faced rival Alabama. Someone will almost certainly fall in love with Marshall because he has the talent to be a lead receiver in the NFL one day, but it is going to take some patience and a good position coach to get him there - if he ever does. More likely than not, he will spend the only part of his career teasing his new team - not to mention his fantasy owners - in the same way Smith has to this point of his career.

I don't know if he has a place right now on the Panthers that would make him fantasy relevant at the time.

The Panthers are pretty well set at the skill positions, the issue is the guy that gets them the ball.

He could be worth a deep round flier if you think he can shine once he gets on the field. McCaffrey, you never know with an RB like him if last season was just a thing or if he's gonna have injury issues again. DJ Moore and Richie Anderson seem to be a pretty good set of starting WRs, and Samuel gives them a play maker in the slot. So it's probably gonna take an injury for this guy to be worthy of owning.

In dynasty, he's worth a look over the long term. The other WRs will have contract issues coming up and a young, cheap WR may get chance.

2 hours ago, polecatt said:

I don't know if he has a place right now on the Panthers that would make him fantasy relevant at the time.

The Panthers are pretty well set at the skill positions, the issue is the guy that gets them the ball.

He could be worth a deep round flier if you think he can shine once he gets on the field. McCaffrey, you never know with an RB like him if last season was just a thing or if he's gonna have injury issues again. DJ Moore and Richie Anderson seem to be a pretty good set of starting WRs, and Samuel gives them a play maker in the slot. So it's probably gonna take an injury for this guy to be worthy of owning.

In dynasty, he's worth a look over the long term. The other WRs will have contract issues coming up and a young, cheap WR may get chance.

Samuel is in Washington now.

13 hours ago, The Football Guru said:

Samuel is in Washington now.

That's right...

Do you think this guy has a chance to be their slot WR this season?

7 hours ago, polecatt said:

That's right...

Do you think this guy has a chance to be their slot WR this season?

I know he can play the slot after doing so last year at LSU, but he's more of a big-play threat right now than a move-the-chains guy. I think DJ Moore makes more sense in the slot.

In other words, I don't see how he puts up much more than about 45 catches for 600-700 yards in 2021. His ability to be a factor right away in the red zone figures to determine if he is worth stashing in redraft leagues.

4 hours ago, The Football Guru said:

I know he can play the slot after doing so last year at LSU, but he's more of a big-play threat right now than a move-the-chains guy. I think DJ Moore makes more sense in the slot.

In other words, I don't see how he puts up much more than about 45 catches for 600-700 yards in 2021. His ability to be a factor right away in the red zone figures to determine if he is worth stashing in redraft leagues.

He's tall and can jump, so they could try some fades to him

Plus with the return hopefully of Mccaffery, less targets to the WRs. 

Have you heard about the Panthers possibility moving D Moore to the slot? 

27 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Plus with the return hopefully of Mccaffery, less targets to the WRs. 

Have you heard about the Panthers possibility moving D Moore to the slot? 

No, it's just what makes the most sense to me given the current personnel.

Love the ideal, and I also think it would be a very good move. 

Thank you.